Shameless Season 6 Gus Returns

Shameless Preview: Fiona's Husband Is Back — And He's Not Happy!

As if Shameless‘ Fiona didn’t have enough on her plate, what with her unexpected baby news and her current boyfriend Sean’s drug relapse. In this Sunday’s episode (Showtime, 9/8c), Gus, the scorned husband she never divorced, returns — and the reunion is far from cordial.

“There’s definitely some anger, definitely some bitterness — well-earned, by the way,” Gus’ portrayer Steve Kazee previews. “There’s a moment that Gus has where he holds the power, and he feels there’s a sense of retribution to be had.”

Read on as Nashville-bound Kazee weighs in on whether Gus could be Fiona’s baby daddy and what, if anything, his character knows about the new guy in his ex’s life.

TVLINE | What brings Gus back into Fiona’s life?
As you’ve seen in the first two episodes, things are still unresolved between the two of them. It seems like they’ve taken up a policy of, “Let’s just not deal with this right now. We’ll deal with it some other time,” which is not always the healthiest policy. You get to a point where you, ultimately, end up having to confront these issues. This is the first step they take to seeing each other and trying to figure out a way to move past the impulsiveness that brought them to this place.

TVLINE | How would you describe his reaction to seeing Fiona again?
[Laughs] It’s a nice moment for Gus to finally be able to have a little bit of strength in this relationship. He’s such a nice guy, [but] nice guys tend to get walked over sometimes. Where we find Gus, at this point in the story, is that he’s come to terms with where the relationship is at. Now it’s just a matter of having his own voice heard.

TVLINE | Since they’re not on speaking terms, how much does he know about what’s going on in her life — namely that she’s dating Sean?
I don’t think he really knows that much. What he knows is what he knew previously, which is that she already slept with Jimmy/Steve. He knows that infidelity is an issue with her, and he knows that there’s no respect for those boundaries. So I don’t think he would be surprised to learn about Sean.

TVLINE | Fiona is pregnant. Is there a possibility that Gus could be the father?
Well, there’s always a possibility, isn’t there? I don’t know, I’ve yet to get an invitation to The Maury Show. So I don’t know if we’re going to be deciding that anytime soon.

TVLINE | Could he ever forgive her for what she did?
It probably always would have been too much to get past. Look, we didn’t get a chance to see it happen, but I think Gus would have been the type of person who wanted to work through it and find a healthier route. He’s able to see in Fiona [that there is a] person somewhere deep down in inside, underneath all those layers, and he probably would have been interested in trying to pull her out of that. But the Gallaghers are the Gallaghers at the end of the day.

1. wrstlgirl says:

Cool I liked Gus but he was to good for Fiona.

• Joey says:

Gus would’ve been a good match for S1-4 Fiona. Way too good for whatever Fiona turned into in S5 through the present though.

• I really LOVE Fiona boy does she have brass!!! I think that Gus aka disgusting is a real piece of work he has to go !!! I think now that Carl’s buddy is going to jail Carl should try to help interyouth kids and be a positive roll-model its about his time to do good..Hey can you give Fiona a well deserved brake !!! Then can you get Deb’s and the woman she now lives with to be really good buddies..Don’t even get me started on The Frank issue..
      Let Ian become a Fireman so he can turn his life around….Lip needs to be alone send him away to a out-of-state college for a little bit but let him come home to visit..

• GUS ISN’T TO GOOD FOR FIONA HE DOESN’T DESERVE HER SHE HAS A DIFFERENT LIFE THAT GUS HAS AND HE NEEDS TIO GROW UP !!!!!

• Stace Smith says:

Can you please EC plain why Gus is such a bad person for Fiona. He brought her flowers, was a Dearing person, sung and made her songs. He even gave her his dead great Grandmother’s Holocaust ring to propose. Lol, That’s like a really great person I’m my book

• Stace Smith says:

Can you please explain why Gus is such a bad person for Fiona. He brought her flowers, was a Dearing person, sung and made her songs. He even gave her his dead great Grandmother’s Holocaust ring to propose. Lol, That’s like a really great person I’m my book

2. A fan of TV says:

I don’t know if I’m just beating a dead horse or wishing too hard for the worst, but I really, truly want Fiona’s baby to Jimmy’s and for that reason she decides to keep it, because despite what she said about not needing him anymore, I didn’t honestly buy it. Maybe she meant it in the moment, but finding out the baby is his would show her she was just fronting.

• Bwhit says:

I agree. He blended with the Gallaghers best. They just make sense together. I don’t believe he is lying every time he tells her he loves her. I hope the baby is not Gus’s because while I wasn’t particularly a fan of his, he is too good for her. Before the series ends I want Jimmy to come back and be with Fiona. Justin Chatwin and Emmy Rossum’s chemistry is off the charts!

• LM says:

Everyone can have an opinion, but evidence supports that chemistry. Just watch “Killer Carl” and “Just Like the Pilgrims Intended” to see how well Jimmy fit with the Gallagher clan.

Bring him back and let their story move forward (remember, those how hate how Jimmy was in his last season, that’s how he was written).

• debbyjhart says:

Agree 100%

• LM says:

It appears Fiona only said she didn’t want to be with Jimmy anymore, because that’s what the writers wrote, and that’s because the showrunners wanted to get rid of him (the internet exploded after he appeared in post-credits scene, and the producers respond by unceremoniously getting rid of him?)

• Joey says:

The show has already turned into a garbage heap, I guess if they want to make it worse, they can make Jimmy the father.

• debbyjhart says:

I was thinking and hopping the same thing. Maybe a reason eventually for Steve/Jimmy to come back. They r ment to be.

3. Mike says:

I agree. I think Jimmy/Steve is the father

4. Ian says:

I do wonder if this is a way to bring Jimmy back in as her endgame. The show’s getting up there in seasons now.
    It’s so hard though, because I can see Emmy’s Fiona with any 3 of these guys, but can she ever be faithful?
    She and Jimmy Steve pretty much deserve each other at the end of the day. He cheated on her, but she’s no angel either.

• HAP says:

I think I read that Shameless has already been renewed for another season.

• LM says:

Ah hah… Jimmy is the only man that Fiona never cheated. She got the office job, and cheated on her boyfriend from there with his brother. She got the job at the diner, and cheated on her husband with the boss.

It was almost seems as though the show runner bring in a new love interest, only to find the chemistry isn’t great, and he isn’t really charismatic, so they introduce someone new for her — even if it means being unfaithful. Just my take.

5. Bryan says:

Shameless was a succesful show in England. In fact it had a pretty famous person playing the Steve character. Now of course the U.S. version is different but there have been a few similarities. This is one of those times. In the original it is someone elses kid but Jimmy comes back and Fiona and him run off together. Not saying that is what is going to happen but that is what happened in the original.

• Cas says:

I was curious if Steve/Jimmy ever left in the original. I believe they ended up together. I am hoping that’ll happen with this one.

• Bwhit says:

Interesting! Even if the baby is not his I bet Jimmy wouldn’t care because he loves her so much. I hate what season 3 did to him because at the end of season 2, Fiona and Jimmy looked like they were going to be fine taking on all the crazy Gallagher mess together.

6. ShamefullyAddicted says:

I am so glad I am not the only one who wants Jimmy/Steve back in the picture! I am a loyal fan of the show and will follow it wherever it may go but the chemistry between those two is just my favorite part. That and Ian and Mickeys love for each other .

7. Malone says:

I feel that either fiona or Debs, most likely Debs will give their baby up for adoption. I hope that’s not what the script gods have written, cuz with family support/help debs could be successful. Look at selena gomez mom she was 16 so was Justin Bieber mom. I hope debs character in the show raises her baby. Again like to see jimmy and finally get married and have that ba by. Guess have to see what the what,what will be.

8. I AGREE STEVE AND FIONA ARE A GOOD COUPLE THEY NEED TO BRING HIM BACK SO SHE CAN GET RID OF THE JUNKIE COFFEE SHOP OWNER..STEVE SHOULD COME BACK WITH HIS LAW DEGREE AND PRACTICE LAW SO FIONA CAN WORK WITH HIM ….

9. tommi says:

i love Gus… His character is so sweet… it’s too bad that it didn’t work out… but at the end of the day, Fiona has the most chemistry with Steven / Jimmy.