Reign Winter Finale

Reign's Megan Follows Previews Her 'Exciting' Directorial Debut, Laments the Loss of Her On-Screen Son

Megan Follows trades her crown for a clapboard on Friday’s winter finale of Reign (The CW, 8/7c), an experience the first-time director admits she wanted since Day 1.

“I started pestering them pretty much right away, saying, ‘I want to do this. I want to do this,'” Follows tells TVLine. “They were very supportive and said I needed to shadow the other directors, so I learned a tremendous amount that way. I was also directing a play at the same time. I wanted to show them that I was serious.”

And what an episode they gave her: Mary finds herself drawn to Gideon, Elizabeth and Greer face separate-but-equal heartbreaks, Catherine (Follows’ character) continues her dangerous dance with Narcisse and Rose “finds herself in the fight of her life on her wedding night.”

Follows had a particularly “exciting” time exploring that last part, both as an actress and a director.

“It’s a tricky situation that Claude is put into, so you’ll see Catherine supporting her through it,” she teases. “She becomes a pawn, and you realize the lack of power young women had at that time. I loved working with Rose on that.”

And while we had the newbie director’s ear, we couldn’t resist asking about the death of King Francis, and how Toby Regbo’s absence affected the on-set climate.

“Toby was an amazing player, and we were all really sad, although it was time for the story — he knew that,” Follows concedes. “What’s fantastic about our show is that we’ve really embraced change and grown; there are so many stories to tell.”

Your hopes for Reign‘s big winter finale? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. spindae2 says:

Reign is probably the most improved returning show. I mean it couldn’t go lower than S2B, but you never know.

The show really reinvented itself after Francis death and used it as a catalyst for many good stories. I will miss the show on my rotate plate. But hey at least I will have something to watch during summer.

2. Lynn says:

And there were so many better stories they could have told during S2 when Francis was still alive instead of using rape to set up another boring love triangle and waste the season on it. Happy for Megan getting to direct though even if I’m not watching anymore.

• tsevca says:

Like? I honestly wonder. Because that´s what we saw in the first half of the season and those were the most boring episodes. It practicly showed Francis being terrible husband from Mary´s point of view, putting everyone before Mary, and basicly told viewers that Mary and Francis would grow apart more with every problem, because what is good for Scotland can never be good for France and vice versa. Ironicly, that rape saved their marriage, because suddenly she was priority on his list again and they could help Scotland without destroying France. It was still big problem, but not that big. Suddenly none of the problems that were slowly but surely killing their relationship before the rape and any feelings for Louis existed anymore. Pure miracle.
      I agree on the reason for the rape, but it wasn´t just to have triangle for no good reason. The triangle itself was a solution to have the show about something, because they didn´t know what to do with them for a whole season otherwise.

3. Mona says:

I love Reign! Can’t wait for it to return!! I’ll be locked in front of The tv saturday- I’m having Big expectations about This episode with Megan Follows as director.. And I’m sure that I won’t be disapointed 👍🏻😃

4. Susan Palacios says:

Reign is one of the three best shows on tv now. I look so forward to Friday’s so
    I can watch it. Didn’t know this Friday was the winter finale, am so disappointed. Can hardly wait for it to start back up. As soon as I have the money will definitely buy season one and two and wait on three to come out.

5. ninamags says:

It was a great episode. Claude’s dress was so beautiful. Felt bad for all the womenfolk.

When is the show coming back?

6. Lucy lou says:

I love Reign, on of my favorite programs.

7. Charlene yeakel says:

Donot watch reign hopefully it will get to say good bye right not like star crossed

8. Jeri says:

Great show, keeps getting better and better. Spring is too far away to wait for another episode.

9. ninergrl6 says:

This season has really been great, especially with the addition of English court. As much as some fans hated it, Francis’ death opens up so many more storyline options for Mary. My only complaint is what they’ve done with Bash. In season 1 he and Mary were close friends even when they weren’t romantically involved. Now they hardly interact act all, let alone have meaningful conversations. They don’t have to be love interests but they should still be confidants, especially with the loss of Francis. The writers don’t know what to do with Bash, so they’ve saddled him with this Delphine storyline that has almost nothing to do with the rest of the show (BTW anyone else think the murderer we saw 2 episodes ago is Catherine’s boy toy?). I just want Bash integrated into the main plots — Charles inheriting the throne, Catherine vs. Narcise, Mary finding new alliances to protect Scotland, Claude’s marriage prospects — he has meaningful ties to all of those characters that for some inexplicable reason aren’t being explored.

10. webbl004 says:

I gave up on this show when rape was used as a catalyst for an affair.

11. Allie says:

I am tired of Mary
    Falling in I love with every man that comes her way – seriously!! This is more boring than the continual love triangle when Francis was alive.