"Discovery" -- Alicia and Lucca join forces with Louis Canning (Michael J. Fox) to defend a website against an accusation of racial profiling. Also, Eli and Ruth worry about the nature of Alicia's relationship with Jason and how it could impact Peter's presidential campaign, on THE GOOD WIFE, Sunday, Nov. 29 (9:30-10:30 PM, ET/9:00-10:00 PM, PT) on the CBS Television Network. Pictured Julianna Margulies as Alicia Florrick   Photo credit Paul Sarkis/ CBS © 2015 CBS BROADCASTING INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Julianna Margulies Hints at Good Wife Exit: 'I'm Unemployed Come April'

Can The Good Wife exist without Alicia Florrick?

CBS execs may be pondering that question now that star Julianna Marguilies has publicly declared her days as the titular spousal unit are numbered.

The actress dropped the bombshell while giving a speech lauding Good Wife showrunners Robert and Michelle King at the Casting Society of America’s third annual Artios Awards. “[The Kings] think I’m here for them,” Margulies said, according to an article in Vulture. “But I’m unemployed come April, and I think you [casting directors] haven’t seen me in a while, at least not in person, so I thought I should show up.”

The Kings announced earlier this month that they would not return as showrunners for a potential Season 8.

“The bottom line is CBS is trying to make deals for an eighth season, so we would be there in a supervisory role, but the storytelling we have will finish in the seventh year,” Robert King told TVLine. “That doesn’t mean we’re putting Alicia in her grave, because you couldn’t do an eighth season after that. But to our minds, we have always written with the idea we could end this season a certain way so that it would make it a satisfactory [conclusion to the] series.”

CBS president Glenn Geller told reporters at the Television Critics Assoc. winter press tour in Pasadena last week that the network hasn’t “made any determination” about the legal drama’s future. “It’s just January,” he added, “so we have to determine if there will be another season or not.”

Can you envision the show continuing — with the focus on Cary, Diane, Lucca & Co.? Or would Margulies’ exit be your cue to bow out as well? Sound off below!

1. Grace says:

Sounds like it’s about time to start touting this as the last season and the finale as a series finale…

2. :-) says:

Looks like our spinoff ideas were not premature. Maybe tvline should forward some to CBS

3. Phillip says:

As much as it pains me to say this: Season 7 should be its last. Without the Kings as showrunners/writers, it doesn’t seem right to have it continue.

4. Janet says:

I hate to say this but I think Julianna Marguilies has run her course with everyone involved with “The Good Wife”.
    Definitely go to a spinoff.

5. MissEllys says:

Julianna Margulies is the show. It can’t go on without her.

• will says:

And Julianna won’t let anyone ever forget it!

• Ken says:

She is the show & if you read the background of who came up with it, you would know alot more,

• NotAnselAdams says:

At this point, it’d likely be better WITHOUT her.

• Lesley Williams says:

I would have liked the Good Wife go bad before the show ends, either divorce and fly off into the future leaving us all, rather than abruptly end….or God forbid tolerate any more of the guy who plays Peter…he is an irritant, perhaps he could get shot! And then she finds happiness..
      But look at how popular Major Crimes is without Kyra Sedgwick, that was a slick manoeuvre retaining most of the cast and carrying on as popular with another actress, worth a thought

6. abz says:

This makes me so sad. I really want the show to continue for another season, flaws and all. I love this show way too much and am not ready to see it go. It’s still better than plenty of shows out there. I can’t believe there will be only be like nine episodes left if they decide to end it. As much as I love Alicia, if JM decides to go, I’d still watch the show for Diane and Cary if it still went on.

7. Sam says:

Now, even a bad episode of The Good Wife is still better than almost everything on TV right now and i’m going to miss this brilliant cast.

But i think it might be time for it to end. Like Slezak reviewed last week’s ep, it seems to be coming full circle. I wouldn’t mind it ending on what would still be a high.

8. redjane12 says:

7 Seasons would be a hell of a run for The Good Wife if it does end in May IMO… If a proper conclusion is given (and it sounds like the Kings have it all planned), no need to prolong the same premise….

Having said that if someone has a story to tell with Cary, Diane and a few others at the helm… Why not? But I think it would need to be totally Florrick-less and move away from election-led story lines…

9. I hope we get a real ending. I still love this show and think the writing and cast is excellent. I think 7 seasons is the perfect amount for the show and it seems the actors/crew does too. Let a show end when it’s supposed to end.

10. asm says:

Goodluck finding another job, now that most of the world know about your “attitude”. Green screen? Yeah… And The Kings are probably just tired of her as well…

11. sammy says:

Honestly Im over this shows bts drama. If she wants to leave let her and let the show go. For me the first 2 seasons were great. Season 3 had great moments but thats it. Seasonn4 5 6 were nothing to rave about except the easter episode at the party.
    Julianna does seem to be a drama queen. Only because she wants to make sure that CBS gives her a better deal for season 8.

• Elizabeth says:

How do we know that Juliana is trying to get a better deal?

• dan says:

She would be an idiot not to want a better deal. Who on the planet negotiates for less? Even if she didn’t care, her agents would. IT doesn’t make her a bad person its just business.

12. gmath12347 says:

Should have ended with Season 6. Looking pretty tired this year

13. Yoko says:

Sounds like she wants a raise.

14. H says:

Too bad the last season is a weak one. Even if Alicia and Lucca join Lockhart/Agos, I’m afraid it’s too little too late.

15. Jeremy says:

I haven’t watched this season as last season (especially how they handled Kalinda’s storyline) left a bad taste in my mouth. Apparently, a lot of that can be attributed to Juliana herself being a producer on the show.
    Looking back at previous seasons, seeing main and supporting cast leaving the show abruptly should have served as warning signs of behind-the-scenes turmoil.
    The fact that the Kings are leaving too means it must be really bad.

16. Jovana says:

Bring back Finn for the last few episodes of season 7!

17. herman1959 says:

Bye Alicia! Ha – I wanted to be first to say it.

18. Rob says:

End. The. Show.

Please while you still can and it can go down as one of the best prime time broadcast network dramas in history.

19. Mark D. Moss says:

It’s time. Maybe a little past. I used to LOVE the show, but the last two seasons are only missing swim trunks and water skis, imo. Better to end before it gets worse … and you can do “The Good Wife” without the good wife.

20. matty says:

This could be the final nail in the coffin of TGW or this could be a quote taken out of context. We’ll see.

21. Susan Gawriluk says:

The last 2 episodes were not up to snuff, seems like the wonderful Kings have come to the end of the arc, sad but it’s been an outstanding ride!

22. james rafko says:

if she is gone so am i, she is the star and the driving force of the show

23. Sabrina says:

Season 7 should definitely be the last. I’m glad Julianna is not willing to continue the show without the Kings’.

24. smartysenior says:

Get a brand new wife standing next to her Congressman Weiner style hubby as he resigns, then have her get hired by the gang at Lockhart Argos and go back to a focus on that terrific ensemble cast. The ensemble is what made this show great, any wife will do as far as I’m concerned.

• Pixel says:

The ensamble was the strenght of this show. But they’ve ruined that aspect and that’s why IMO the show can’t go on, with or without JM.

25. Me says:

This is the only series in a long time that I have appreciated thoroughly, week after week. Some episodes were better than others, but each of them was intelligent, fun, thought provoking. I will sorely miss it, but I prefer it to end now, than to have a slow and painful death with other showrunners than the Kings.

26. kmw says:

I doubt it could go on without her. I don’t think CBS will keep show without her

27. LT says:

The show is splintered into a thousand different pieces, so please…let’s wrap it up this season and try and go out on a high note.

28. GoodWifeFan says:

As much as I liked the additions of Cush Jumbo and Margo Martindale, this season has lost a step or two. It’s not nearly as engaging as the first few seasons.

29. aph1976 says:

After 7 seasons i can understand Julianna Marguilies deciding to leave and she left ER after 6 seasons.So maybe she just wants to be on a show for a certain amount of time.Plus maybe Julianna thinks this is a good time for The Good Wife to end and by announcing she’s leaving now she’s give CBS and the show’s producers time to prepare and give the show a proper ending.Plus the series could end with Alicia getting a divorce from Peter and her starting to live her life as a single woman.

30. KeithH says:

My finale idea: Ala the first Newhart show… ‘Alicia’ wakes up next to Goerge Clooney saying something like… “God…what a dream… I’d gone to Goregetown and been a lawyer, married to a corrupt governor…”

31. Too bad Tia Leoni is not leaving “Madame Secretary”. Then, CBS would not be able contribute its weekly one-hour political ad for Hillary Clinton.

32. Elisabeth says:

The Vulture article says that she was joking! Although I also heard that CBS was talking about the dreaded 12-13 episode Season 8.

33. Mary S says:

It couldn’t “be” The Good Wife without the wife!!! This announcement comes on the heels of the feud scandal being reinvented, so maybe she just wants out of that mess completely. I do hope they give a proper and fitting farewell to the show without killing off any more of the characters. It feels like the confession of the deleted VM is the beginning of the end of her dedication to anyone outside her children. Maybe she just leaves to go find out if her attraction to the investigator is worth pursuing.

34. peterwdawson says:

Can’t wait to see Good Wife Cyber.

35. Erik says:

She finally got sick & tired of wearing the wig.

• Susie O'Shea says:

I love the show but that wig. Alicia & Diana are always in thousand dollar designer suits, stylish,elegant,business-like. Why can’t they get a better wig?

36. Morisot says:

Will sweeps in from witness-protection…and whisks Alicia away.

37. MzTeaze says:

Stick a fork in it already. This season has sucked. Please let it end before it sinks any further.

38. Eurydice says:

It’s too bad they wasted so much time on taking Alicia nowhere. After 6 1/2 seasons it’s still not clear what Alicia wants. She can go back to Peter, she can go back to Lockhart & Whatever, she can spend her days defending DUIs and her nights drinking in her apartment – or, she can…what? They really haven’t set her up for anything else.

As for TGW without Alicia, what’s the point? Legal dramas are all the same – Alicia’s story is what made this different.

39. johnny says:

good lord just let this show end gracefully. Julianna margulies is THE GOOD WIFE. You can’t have the show without her. Let s7 be its last and end with a great finale.

40. April says:

It all depends on the writing. All the other characters on the show are so good and I would watch it without her even though I think she is amazing . Some of the shows have been outstanding this season a few not so good but that is true with any show. I say the show should go on. I think the rest of the cast can carry it and someone new could come in and take Alicia’s place and be good. Again, it depends on the writers. I hate to see this show end I have always looked forward to Sunday night to see it.

41. maregolden says:

If JM leaves they could revamp the show with a different title, like they did with The Closer when Kyra Sedgewick left. It would be nice if they made Cary the main focus of the show.

42. JosiahBartlet4President says:

Always better to bow out gracefully before a show gets old and tired or goes off the rails.

43. Nancy Martin says:

My husband still watches the show but I have come to the point where I can take it or leave it. Finish it out in style before it gets really stale.

44. Jim J. says:

A season 8 and beyond for “The Good Wife”, especially without Julianna Marguiles and Robert & Michelle King, will be a “post-script” season, and “post-script” seasons can best be avoided, especially in regard to any existing and new drama series for CBS that are willing to take “TGW”‘s timeslot after next season. At this point, “TGW” has only nine episodes whose airdates are unscheduled, and I believe they are waiting for a decision on whether to end the series after the current season to produce those episodes, probably because of the need to avoid leaving storylines within the show unresolved.

A reason for “TGW” finishing after a seven-season run is because they have this symmetry in how many words in the episode titles for each season.

45. Pixel says:

After they’ve spent all the season weakening and lessening Diane and Cary characters (who now have no life out of the random crises at LAL) I doubt they can build a spin-off around them. And honestly I’d love to see Christine Baranski and Matt Czuchry finally being part of shows where they’re put to good use. Both were wasted in that show. Mostly Czuchry, who through 7 seasons had maybe just 2/3 good storylines written for him and just occasionally good material.

46. Jon says:

Cary, Diane, Lucca, Eli (we cannot forget Eli) and we are good to go. I’m getting a bit tired of the ego of JM. She is having feuds with everyone. First it was Archie Panjabi, now she cannot be in the same room as Christine Baranski as well?? Goodness what a bitch or a kid. Grow up and be professional. JM’s storey arc has gone long ago and the PMS for the last 2 seasons (always growling and now she is mad at Eli for something that happened in season 1??? and if she cannot tell that Eli is a good soul, she should jump off a bridge) Alicia just takes the fun out of the show nowadays. I would rather have the cast minus JM.

• abz says:

JM and Alicia Florrick are not the same. I think some people are really starting to blur the lines between character and actress. There is definitely some merit to the rumors regarding possible behind the scenes drama with Archie Panjabi, however, outside of that I think the rest is just shameless gossip being spread because people don’t like JM much. Where is the evidence of a feud with Baranski or that they can’t be in the same room? People need to stop making things up. The separation of Alicia and Diane resulted from something in the story. It may not be a decision that I agree with as I think its silly that they are creating this unnecessary conflict between the two CHARACTERS. But that’s just it. It was one of their story decisions. It may not be a good one, but that doesn’t necessarily mean its a result of behind the scenes drama with Baranski too. Also, her story arc hasn’t gone as she is the show. It would be nothing really without her no matter how superb the supporting cast is.
      With regards to Eli, one of the great things about this show I find is how at times old plot threads can resurface and are not just forgotten. Just because Eli erased that message
      X amount of years ago, doesn’t mean that she has to let it go right away. Sure maybe it would possibly be good for her well-being not to hold a grudge, but she only just found out about it and she’s hurting. Her emotions are perfectly understandable. She is now left to constantly wonder what could have been. Maybe she could have been with Will a year before they got together. Maybe that would have pushed her to finally have left Peter and lived happily with Will or with someone else if that didn’t work out. She doesn’t know and never will. Eli has meddled and pried into her life so much and while they became friends, he did something that really hurt her and she needs time to get over it (hopefully not as long as it took with Kalinda lol).
      In the end, I think where this season is headed is that Alicia is at this point where she is losing the people around her. She’s alone. Her marriage is a sham. Will is dead. Finn’s gone. Jason’s gone. She feels betrayed by Eli. Her relationship with Kalinda was fractured and now she’s gone. Unnecessary drama with Diane. Tension with Lucca now over a decision of whether or not to merge with LAL. Zach in college. Grace probably leaving soon. There’s somewhat of a relationship with Cary, but it’s not shown much. Alicia is losing everyone around her. She’s both pushed people away and have had people leave her. I don’t want this to be the last season, but that’s where I think this last half of the season is headed. She needs to figure out her life. She wants that independence of running her own firm and not answering to anyone but that dream is coming at a cost. What is she gonna do?

47. Alyce Hutchison-Doss says:

Last weeks show was terrible. I thought I would watch this week and if it wasn’t better, I would not watch the show again. Yes I believe losing Margulies would be detrimental to the show.

• Marie says:

I am a “newbie” at watching TGW. This is my second season and so far I like the show alot. Can someone tell me who the :kings” are? I Like Julianna Marguiles, I do not think the show would be the same without her. Kalinda was still in a few episodes, I do not know the whole story line on what happen to her. Can anyone in a few words, tell me what her part was and how it ended(?) I also liked the part with the Investigator. There was certainly some chemistry there. I thought for sure there was going to be a story line there. I will be sad to see the show end.

• abz says:

Robert and Michelle King are the creators of the show. Personally, I don’t think you should spoil it for yourself. Try to watch the first five seasons from the beginning if you can. They were some of the best seasons of television I have ever seen (Season 5 in particular was one of the most spectacular seasons of TV ever. “Hitting The Fan” may forever be in my top 10 episodes of television of all time)

• Susie O'Shea says:

Reserve it at your library. Watch in order. All episodes are wonderful and full of twists and surprises.

48. F D says:

Spin it off with Luka and the private eye

49. Susie O'Shea says:

I hope they end on a high note.I hope the 7th is the finale. It’s been a superb show. May the good wife become the happy ex-wife.

50. Sharon L. Sewell says:

The show centers on “the good wife”. the title of the show would have to change. I would probably still watch it.