Post Mortems
Legends of Tomorrow Premiere recap

Legends of Tomorrow EP Spills a Secret Behind the Big Lie — Plus: Grade It!

The truth, albeit a suspected (and logical) one, is finally out:

The Legends of Tomorroware, as Jax put it, “the opposite of legends.” Meaning, the eight of ’em were recruited by Time Master Rip Hunter (Doctor Who‘s Arthur Darvill) because the dent they leave on history will be so infinitesimal, they’re meaningless to the future timeline — and thus are expendable, should the mission go sideways.

“That was always the design [of the show],” says exec producer Marc Guggenheim — albeit at one point with a tiiiiiny tweak.

“We were planning on revealing that secret to the team at the end of the second hour [of the two-part premiere] rather than at the end of the first,” he shares. “But as we go through the storybreaking process, we always realize, ‘Pull it up, pull it up, pull it up!'”

How did the Legends react, learning sooner versus a bit later? Rather than use that terribly sad tidbit from Rip to fuel years upon years of therapy, Ray Palmer, Sara Lance, Professor Martin Stein, “Jax” Jackson, Leonard “Captain Cold” Snart, Mick “Heat Wave” Rory, Hawkgirl and Hawkman ultimately decide to stay on mission — hunting Vandal Savage, the immortal mad man who murdered Rip’s wife and son — and, in (possible) success, perhaps change their own humdrum fates.

Part 1 of the CW premiere opens with Rip soliciting the servitude of each team member, which in specific cases leads Ray and Sara to seek counsel from Oliver and Laurel, respectively. (As luck would have it, Laurel already had contracted Cisco for a White Canary suit, so that her sis can be a hero in the light.) Only one candidate, Jax, shows hesitation — an issue remedied by a not-a-roofie from Firestorm’s gung-ho other half, Professor Stein.

Upon enlistment, the Legends meet Rip’s on-board AI, Gideon (voiced by Amy Pemberton); learn the ins and outs of “temporal navigation” aboard the Waverider (including blindness and vertigo); and first boogie on down to 1975, to meet a professor who specializes in all things Vandal Savage — and thus knows of the Hawkpeople. In fact, Dr. Aldus Boardman knows Kendra and Carter quite well, being their son from another era and all!

While the Hawks, Ray and Stein deal with Boardman, Leonard, Mick and Sara hit a ’70s bar, where they grab a buncha dollar beers and wind up in a brawl. They return to the Waverider in time to help Rip and the others fend off Chronos, a bounty hunter sent by the Time Masters to thwart Rip’s rogue mission. During the melee, Aldus takes fire and eventually dies from his wounds.

The hour closes with Savage laying his mitts on a nuclear warhead in 1975 Norway, setting the stage for what will be his first encounter with the legends now chasing him — in next Thursday’s Part 2.

What did you think of the Legends’ maiden voyage? And will you return for more?

1. I figured as much. Rip = con man, heh.

2. Rachel says:

Question that I’m sure has been covered before: Do I need to have watched Arrow/The Flash to watch this? I didn’t watch the premiere, but I’m really curious in the show.

• it certainly helps but i wouldn’t say it’s necessary. you just wouldn’t know anything about the characters pasts & relationships

• Phoenix5634 says:

@rachel
      You don’t really have to, most the stuff you need to know they show or tell you in the episode pretty well, but it would definitely help you get to know the characters and the bigger picture of the show, if you watched Flash/ Arrow.

• Lynne says:

Obviously it would be helpful if you do watch both Arrow and Flash so you already have the background on the characters, but with the simple quick introductions, I think you’ll be ok. I actually only watch Flash, so I have no clue about Canary but I didn’t feel lost on her.

• John NYC says:

The cross over helps with the Savage versus Hawks origin.

The backstory of the others might be less relevant. Would fill out who thruster, but more of an option.

• herman1959 says:

You’ll be fine if you watch the premiere (and pay close attention) BEFORE you watch Part 2 next week. If not, good luck.

• I think your life would be much more fulfilling if you go back and binge on Arrow and Flash. They are both awesome. But to answer your question, it’s probably not necessary to have watched them in order to enjoy this new series.

3. why didn’t hawkman remember the son? didn’t he say he remembers all of they’re lives?

• Wordsmith says:

That’s a lot of lives to keep straight. Without Sherlock-level eidetic memory, the details are bound to get fuzzy.
      Doctor Who did an interesting bit this season with an immortal character who had to keep diaries so that she could remember what she had done over the years, because it was just too much to hold onto all at once.

• jrex says:

It wasn’t clear that he didn’t, but according to the explanation on Arrow Hawkgirl is reincarnated initially without her memories each time while Hawkman retains them.

• Marz says:

No, not always. Hawkman mentioned sometimes she’s the one convincing him about their past lives. I don’t think either of them remember at first, but something triggers their memories and it’s a toss-up who remembers first.

• grass says:

Wasn’t Hawkman and girl killed while their son was still young? So he might have remembered having a son, but didn’t know that the professor was their son.

• herman1959 says:

Their son was a child when they were killed; they wouldn’t recognize him at his current age.

4. BarryFlash says:

“Aldus was fated to die soon, regardless. Besides, Rip says in explaining one of the show’s key rules to time travel, they cannot revisit a moment in which they have already participated. Or, time folds in on itself, Marty McFly’s parents disappear… and all that.”

I must have missed that part.

5. My only question is when the hell is this supposed to take place on the Arrow/Flash timeline since obviously Ollie and Laurel weren’t in “Darkh must die now” mode following the Felicity incident?

6. Phoenix5634 says:

Awesome episode! Loved all the humour and pretty much everything! Very well done! Can’t wait for next week! Favorite Legends are still Stein, Snark, Mick and Sara. Rip Hunter is pretty good too, he had some funny lines. And Gideon! That’s means Barry is connected to the Time Masters, likely somehow their Founder, as he was the one who created Gideon. And isn’t 2166 ( the year Rip Hunter came from) the same year that Eobard travelled back from? Loved the episode !

7. So Hawkman and Hawkgirl never join The Justice League? They never help save the world? That’s how little they matter?

• as far as we know the justice league doesn’t exist in this universe
      the comics are the same as the show same for the movies

• marz1200 says:

Gideon mentioned in the Flash that Barry was a founder of the Ju- (promotional comics for the show list the full word Justice before she gets cut off.)

• Phoenix5634 says:

The Justice League stuff likely doesn’t happen until they come back, when they say they have no effect on the timeline, they’re referring to the future they came that’s our current timeline for the shows, in which Vandal takes over. But when they eventually beat Vandal Savage, the plan is to return to the time they came from as closely as possible. And when they get back maybe the success of this team is what gives them the idea to start the Justice league. Once they explain the concept of time limbo, as they called it, it’ll make sense to you.

8. Santania says:

I think it was good and only going to get better when they get more into it and I will be back for more

9. Ren says:

Gonna rain on this parade a little bit (don’t hate me please)–but man some parts were tough on the ears with that dialogue. Yeah exposition is needed but….
    I’m sure both it and some of the acting (some more than others) will improve as they settle into themselves. Once again Captain Cold stole every moment but Heat Wave was hanging in there as well.

10. Phoenix5634 says:

I wish Part 2 was tonight lol

11. powerturtle90sdudemon says:

Rip Hunter: The Doctor with Anakin Skywalker-inspired backstory. And the Time Lords are Jedi. Three universes fold in. A nerd’s dream

12. madhatter360 says:

I loved the bar fight scene. I thought it was funny how Sara said “I got this” to Snart when he didn’t actually offer to help. I loved that despite that, as soon as she asked for help he jumped into the fight.

• i already want a roadtrip style spinoff of sarah snart & mick traveling the world doing a little bad or a little good in between bar fights

• Nellie says:

Yes! I would absolutely watch that show. The bar scene is what tipped this show over into the win column for me. The Vandal Savage/Hawkgirl/Hawkman stuff just bores me to tears.

• Phoenix5644 says:

The Hawks are kind of boring I’ll give you that. However, I did like them better in the Pilot episode compared to the crossover tho, so they could get better. And Vandal, his story is kind of tainted by just being connected to the Hawks origin story. But I think they’ll make Savage into a solid character, we still haven’t seen too much of Savage so he could still really impress us.

• If I had been casting Firestorm, I would have gone with Abed and Troy from Community. Just kinda kidding. Although I must say, Victor Garber is fantastic in his half of the role.

• Phoenix5634 says:

@ Snazzy
            Totally agree! Victor Garber ( Stein ) is fantastic, he’s likely my favourite of the legends team.

13. Drew says:

I really enjoyed the premiere. The group dynamic is working really well. I was worried that Sara would be dark and brooding, but she wound up providing some fun and lightness. She works well with Snark and Mick. Having Professor Stein completely forget Ray is funny. Stein was actually pretty rude and kinda crime-y wime-y in this episode, but it was fun. The overall production value was great. I hope they can keep that up. This show is a great superhero teamup show. It is really cool to see something like this on TV, because it wasn’t even possible a few years ago.

14. Alexandra says:

Is it just a coincidence that Rip’s son’s name is Jonas and Oliver’s middle name is Jonas?

15. I’ll give it a B. It didn’t come as well assembled as it’s superhero sibling, The Flash – pun intended – but it feels a little like early Arrow in that it has good parts, it just needs to figure out how to use them. Which sounds dirtier than intended. What I mean is, it already has some pretty great characters, it just needs to show me how the group dynamic will work, and it’ll help when it has to spend less time on setup. But for the bar scene alone, I’m in.

• Liz says:

Remember though this is a two part episode. From the reviews I’ve heard is that part 2 is way more fun and fast moving. And the episodes continue getting better. This first part was all exposition and set-up.

16. James D says:

I thought it was good fun. Brandon has really found his niche with this character I love Ray’s little quips. I was always going to like this show for the mere fact it has Hawkman/girl in it they’re two of my favorite DC characters. look forward to next week.

17. Rick Katze says:

What do you expect. Darvill got his training from Dr Who who stole the Tardis to flee the Time Lords. Why shouldn’t he. And it does make logical sense. See “The End of Eternity” by Isaac Asimov who in 1953 proposed the removal of people from Time, for at least a limited period, where they would not have any effect on the fabric of time.

18. Kevin Fowler says:

As I figured they lied in previews. If I know arrow and flash were not going to be in it I never would watched first episode.

• Phoenix5634 says:

They will likely be it in once an awhile, Gideon is clear evidence Barry as some role in the Time Masters. And I’m wondering if Rip Hunter isn’t a descendent of Oliver’s.

• Strikelord says:

I’m beginning to think that the “Gideon” AI is their time’s equivalent of Sri or Cortana–unless Eobard Thawne is a Time Lord–oops, I meant Time MASTER–also.

• Phoenix5634 says:

Plus I think the time Rip Hunter came from is the same year that Eobard came from in Flash’s season 1. So there’s possibility to explain reverse flash and future Barry further.

• Chris Leonardi says:

If you thought they were ever going to be anything more than cameos, that’s on you for not paying attention and having unrealistic expectations.

• Kevin Fowler says:

The producers made it look like arrow and flash had major roles in show which in my book is misrepresentation to get me to watch. Why, because if they did truth they know most people wouldn’t watch. Well guess what they want to lie to watchers now I am not going to watch any more.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

No one who has read a single article on this show would have thought that to be true.

• Kevin Fowler says:

That’s because most people in this world are like the producers of this show. They lie to get what they want.

• JR says:

That’s never been even slightly implied anywhere.

• Kevin Fowler says:

Yes it was, in first 3 min sneak peak you see arrow and flash gather them team together and then see rip hunter enter the seen. Look on YouTube and see for yourself.

• Phoenix5634 says:

@ Kevin
          no idea where you got that idea or what articles you’ve been reading, but you misinterpreted. Flash and Arrow may guest star on LoT from time to time, but likely no more often than arrow or flash cross over into each others’ series, and I wouldn’t even expect much of that to happen in season 1.

• Kevin Fowler says:

Saw it on first preview on youtube. Look for yourself.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

The sizzle reel from last May…? That was widely reported to not be from an actual episode of Legends, but just a demo of cut-together scenes?

• Kim R says:

Well…seeing as they have their own shows I would say you assumed incorrectly. It never even occurred to me that they would be anything more than cameos here and there. I think you are also assuming that we were all fooled. You know what they say about assuming. :D

• herman1959 says:

Goodbye, Kevin.

• Bwhit says:

That was my thought precisely! I thought a cameo every now and then was how they would be involved. That’s like saying Oliver was going to be a major recurring character (not just crossovers) in the flash because he was in promos and the pilot.

• Kevin Fowler says:

Look at first preview on youtube. But wait that would take work on your part.

• Bwhit says:

@Kevin I have seen that preview and at the most the producers are guilty of cutting that scene on the roof with them from the pilot and that’s about it. They never said Oliver and Barry were going to be major players in this show.

19. Ziv says:

Time Master/Time Lord with a stolen Waverider/TARDIS — derivative or homage?

• John NYC says:

What is it in the comic books?

• Gern Blanston says:

I don’t know, but Rip Hunter has been around since the 60’s. So, maybe neither.

• Issay says:

Derivative. British-accented time traveler who is a Time Lo…ooops, sorry, Time Master? Even the time vortex looks somewhat familiar, Vandal Savage (still ridiculous, even after getting used to) can be simply another regeneration of Master, and this version of Doctor simply wants more competent companions.
      It’s like watching an unauthorised spin-off. Or a fanfiction – Doctor Who!AU in DCverse.
      Think I’ll sit this one out…

• Phoenix5634 says:

it’s funny, if Rip Hunter wasn’t British, would u people have even thought of doctor who?

• Drew says:

It is getting a little annoying. Rip Hunter has existed for a long time. He has been involved with the Time Masters before the Time Lords even existed. His mission to stop Vandal Savage (who has existed sine 1944) goes back decades. The only people who think that Rip Hunter and his mission are ripping off Doctor Who are people who have absolutely no familiarity with the source material. If anything, maybe Doctor Who is ripping of Rip Hunter in some ways.

• Strikelord says:

20. Phoenix5634 says:

Did Rip Hunter reveal that Vandal Savage could only truly be killed by hawkman/hawkgirl? or unless he can be revived from a little as a single atom.

I wonder what Vandal Savage did to hawkman/hawkgirl in the future, what is their fate as Rip Hunter knows it.

21. Bwhit says:

Loved it! This group is messy, troubled and I am on board for all of it. Each one brings something unique to the team and I can’t wait to see how they take on everything. I know what I’ll be watching on Thursdays.

22. Charissa29 says:

Sooo, the execs must REALLY like Doctor Who! But being American instead of one genius semi-pacifist with a sonic screwdriver, they have many characters with superpowers.

23. ? says:

Yes. This show. So much yes.

24. Johanna says:

Is it just me or they’re hinting a possible future romance between Sara and Snart? The bar scene was my favorite by far. Not using Ray well yet.

25. Lynne says:

I liked it! Admittedly, I was only going to watch this for Snart because I love him on Flash when he pops up but the entire team kept my attention. Only thing that irks me is Hawkman and Hawkgirl. It bugged me when they were introduced in the crossover episode too, maybe because they were so rushed that I dont have the same connection as I do with Snart or Stein.
    If only I could get into Arrow like I did with Flash and this!!

26. JC1 says:

I liked it….didn’t love it. I would probably give it a B-. It was very clunky, especially in the first half of the episode (although Laurel was amazingly not annoying, so….points for that accomplishment). I already like several of these characters and I love Sara so will watch just for her, but the show has a lot to work out plot wise. And I still think Casper Crump was totally miscast as Vandal Savage. They needed someone with the presence of Manu Bennett for that role, and Casper Crump is not it.
    I think the most potential is in the Sara/Cold/Heatwave trio. I unfortunately have the least interest in the Hawks and all their past lives drama.
    The background music was very distracting at times. I usually think Blake Neely does a great job, but there were several times I felt like it was really off.
    And now for the fashion complaint – I hate the White Canary outfit. Hate it. It looked great in the promo posters, but I think it looks terrible onscreen. Since Sara is my favorite character, I’m finding myself unreasonably distressed by this. Lol. I’m just hoping that maybe she doesn’t end up having to wear it all that often.

27. Bruce Wayne says:

The weakest of the three CW superhero shows of them all.

28. peterwdawson says:

A shame the Hawks are so integral to the plot, they’re probably the worst of this team.

• herman1959 says:

I’ve felt all along that Hawkman should have been left out – the show could take place during a time when they were separated – the actress, alone, has charisma, but he’s flat.

29. Decent start but the roofie thing was messed up and I still feel like the Snart brothers are entirely pointless and out of place. Replace them with some team members of actual value (like say powers and skills beyond holding a gun they didn’t make) rather than just being Edgy and Snarky and we’d have a fun team.

• bwhit says:

They aren’t brothers. This is the first episode, they couldn’t dive into everyone’s roles in the team right away. I think with the reveal that all of them are basically expendable to the timeline explained perfectly why they are there. At least those two are protrayed as villains right off the bat and have a chance to do good instead of the other way around. That’s just my two cents though…. Hopefully they change your mind by the end of the season.

30. I don’t get why they placed what looked to be a nuclear weapon in NORWAY, of all places. Norway has never had those types of weapons, ever. Also the hills in the background were unconvincingly low.

I recognize that these aspects are unimportant, and I thoroughly enjoyed the episode overall.

• John NYC says:

As a founding member of NATO what weapons may or may not be transported through Norway, even if not officially Norwegian in ownership, could be somewhat blurred. But yes, France would have been more plausible given their autonomous position. Or Great Britain.

• Phoenix5634 says:

World military powers who do have that kind of weaponry, discreetly transport them or hold them at off-shore allied locations, often without the publics knowledge.

31. Keith says:

Loved LOT, but Caty Lotz deserves her own show.

32. dancmh says:

I love, love, love Sara. I HATE the Off-White Beige Canary outfit. It just looks dirty. No way Cisco put that together.

• Troy says:

OMG yes! This! I just commented that it looks like a dirty grey, it doesn’t look white at all.

• Avril says:

So happy to see that I wasn’t the only one who hated the outfit! It doesn’t just look dirty, it looks like dirty concrete. I’m sorry but not even Caity Lotz can pull off dirty concrete.

33. Jimmy Chen says:

I’m a little confused. Why is Rip so concerned about changing the timeline when his goal is to take out Savage? This will change everything in the future world in which he becomes dictator.

• Phoenix5634 says:

Rip is in it for the greater good to kill Savage, but behind that even he just wants to save his son. So the way, or the time period, that Rip wants to change the time line is going to be very specific to that goal. Which I have a feeling may not be agreeable with the rest of the legends team. Basically he wants to save the world, but mainly he just wants to save his family, which means a lot of mayhem and destruction he’s going to have to let happen, depending on when Vandal started taking over the world.

34. Magali says:

Oh Berlanti! How many hours of my week will you steel?

35. LT says:

LOVED. IT! This show has soooo much potential. Totally in!

36. Joey Padron says:

First episode was really good & fun, like the show a lot. Can’t wait to see part 2 next week!

37. herman1959 says:

Dr. Boardman turning out to be the Hawk couple’s son was a hit out of the ball park.

• Phoenix5634 says:

Yeah that was a nice twist, plus explaining that time or fated events want to happen. He was supposed to die in his office that same day, and becuz they took him with them and inadvertently may have saved him, he was still hit by a lethal hit in the fight…. Or was them taking him with them, the reason he died that day in their history as they knew it, and they were the unwitting cause…

• herman1959 says:

As you said, he would have died the same day, but a different way…maybe non-violent like a heart attack. Either way, he was grateful to have seen his parents again.

• bwhit says:

I agree. My husband was asking why he knew so much about them and Vandal Savage and two seconds later they revealed that and we both were like, well didn’t see that coming! I thought it was a great twist. I also liked that Rip’s reasoning for this is because of family… I’m sure there is more to the story but that was also a good reveal. This is probably one of my favorite pilots of all time :)

38. 134sc says:

It’s unfair to grade a pilot in the same way you would a normal episode as a pilot serves many functions. So if some things felt rushed or forced I give it a pass. So as far as pilots go, i thought it was really good. I was a bit skeptical of the ensemble, but it worked quite well. My favorite parts were Sara, Captain Cold and Heatwave and that twist at the end. It makes perfect sense when you think about it, so I’m glad that’s the route they went. Looking forward to next episode.

39. Troy says:

I really loved the premiere and I’m excited to see where this show could go! I loved the humor in it too and it’s cool to see how they’re all interacting with each other right off the bat. I have a feeling I’m really going to love this show even more than Arrow/Flash! The only thing that bugged me was White Canary’s costume. It looked WHITE when it was on the mannequin but when she put it on it looked like a dirty grey. I wish it was more white and pure looking. I’m not feeling the Dirty Grey Canary. I love Sara though so she can do no wrong! Maybe she’ll get a better looking costume down the line.

40. Kim R says:

I’m going to date myself but I loved the music when they traveled back to 1975! K-Tel compilation albums of the 70’s!! :D
    I am in as far as the series goes! Really enjoyed the humour, the misfit “Legends” and the superhero feel to it all.

41. sporting4231 says:

I wanted to like it but didn’t. Why recruit a bunch of people to take on a live villain when Hunter now knows he can go back a month a find a pile of dust instead? Wait for Malcolm if he needs to and kill him to make sure no one reconstitutes a cell, then take the dust to a point in time prior to the lives of the Hawks so their energy can’t be used to keep the guy alive if he’s reconstituted. Really, Palmer isn’t remembered when he invented a shrinking suit – what sort of developments took place in 150 years? Time council would be too new to be that rule-bound unless they are in the pay of the bad guy. If the time council exists, why didn’t they send someone after Barry – rewriting time to stop a city from being wiped out is a pretty big breach of protocol. I just couldn’t get into this one.

• herman1959 says:

1. There has been no indication that Hunter was aware of all of the events of the crossover.

2. Ray Palmer didn’t have an opportunity to market the suit – he’s supposed to be dead.

3. This is a TV show that is being written as it goes along, not the comic.

4. Just because they are time lords doesn’t mean they know everything. They know about Rip Hunter’s actions because he asked for their help.

5. Have you actually been watching Arrow/Flash the whole time?

• Phoenix5634 says:

Rip can’t do that first part you mentioned becuz he’s doing this mainly to save his wife and son. If he stopped Savage that early in the time line then he would change history, meaning everything he knows.

And the legends don’t have a huge impact on history becuz they are acting outside the timestream, they’re likely the greatest heroes of all but becuz their mission doesn’t take place in linear time, it’s not part of our recorded history.

And it doesn’t matter how long the Time Master organization has existed, thats probably impossible to answer if they have their HQ in time limbo. Which would explain why they don’t seem to fear Savage, if they existed outside of linear time. And of course they are going to be very strictly rule bound, it’s time travel. And they probably don’t send someone after Barry for his time travelling, or any speedsters, becuz the speedforce is a natural ability to travel time. Plus Gideon is connected to the Time Masters, an Barry created Gideon, so I’m thinking Barry is like the Founder of the Time Masters or some how related to their existence.

42. robandco says:

I gave it a B(+).
    I wasn’t really on board with the whole thing. But it was very nice.
    So, Rip is one hell of a douchebag. I already hate him.
    I was very irritated with the enormous cast, but the fact that they can sideline some members for certain mission while still having decent B plots is very, very nice.
    The time travel aspect is really fun, because there is so much possibility. I hope they travel more back in time (before 2016) than in the future because that 2166 future London was a disaster IMO.
    Firestorm is definitely the best duo of the bunch. Their dynamic is really great.
    I can’t wait for episodes where they switch the pairs up though, because Firestorm, Hawkpeople, Rogues and Canari/A.T.O.M. is going to be very repetitive after 9-10 episodes…

43. Strikelord says:

Did they HAVE to make Rip Hunter a Brit? The “Dr. Who” comparisons were inevitable, but making the time-travelling leader of the merry band just slaps us in the face. The BBC called–they want their show back! ;-)

44. kath says:

I was pleasantly surprised by it.
    I think Mick was the funnniest (“Why is this station only playing repeats?”) but I liked just about every character. The Hawks were the weakest part though, even after being the stars of the crossover episodes. And while I love Victor Garber, the Firestorm character feels superfluous.

45. cr says:

The “Legends” did a great job in the first ep, but Rip’s dialog was was wooden as was delivery. He either needs to keep up with the team or be gone.

46. Phoenix5634 says:

Why is the HD channel this week only playing Part 1 of Legends, but the SD channel is playing Part 2? I want to watch Part 2 in HD since I have the HD channel, wtf?