Nancy Drew Pilot CBS

CBS Orders 'Diverse' Nancy Drew Pilot; Crime Solver Now an NYPD Detective

Nancy Drew is all grown up and headed to CBS.

The network has given a pilot order to Drew, a drama that finds the iconic crime solver — now in her thirties — putting her “uncanny observational skills” to work as a detective for the NYPD. But wait, she’ll also have to “navigate the complexities of life in a modern world”!

“She is diverse, that is the way she is written,” CBS president Glenn Geller recently told reporters at the Television Critics Association winter press tour. “I’d be open to any ethnicity. … We’re not casting color-blind, we’re casting color-conscious. It’s not ‘the best actor wins,’ it’s the right roles for diversity. … It really is about being conscious of what America looks like. It is always going to change, it’s going to evolve, and we’re aware of that, which is why we’re making efforts every year to get more diverse.”

Created by Hardy Boys mastermind Edward Stratemeyer, the character of Nancy Drew was first introduced in 1930, going on to headline a string of books, movies, TV series and video games. A movie starring Scream Queens‘ Emma Roberts in the titular role, hit theaters in 2007.

Drew‘s pilot comes from writers Joan Rater (Grey’s Anatomy) and Tony Phelan (Madam Secretary) and will be directed by Dan Jinks (Pushing Daisies). All three will executive-produce.

CBS has also given a pilot order to an untitled comedy based on the Australian series Upper Middle Bogan, which follows a woman who discovers she was adopted, then meets her real relatives — a “flamboyant but loving family of drag-racers.”

Your thoughts on CBS’ Drew? Any casting suggestions? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Mark says:

You had my attention, right up until “NYPD.” A grown-up Nancy Drew might be interesting as a Murder, She Wrote for younger people, but if you make her a New York cop, it sounds like every other “quirky doctor/detective” show.

2. Dennis says:

Cast Katherine Heigl!

3. Dean says:

If it does make it to series it should air alongside Elementary.

4. kirads09 says:

Nancy Drew casting : Meghan Ory

5. Andrew says:

Archie Panjabi!

• Steven says:

I hated this concept until now. Make this happen.

• c-mo says:

No, there’s already a beautiful Indian lead. Based on the “color conscious” comment, the actress will have to be black, Hispanic or Native American. And as a Latina, I’m completely offended! I hate affirmative action, it’s done nothing but make minorities lazy and entitled.

• jazzyt2u says:

There are also a couple of black leads one a major network. Actually all three the Indian and two black leads are on the same network so for CBS it’s open season so a Latina has a chance. smh

6. kirads09 says:

Another Nancy Casting option: Trenna Keating (Doc from Defiance)

7. iHeart says:

Wow a lot of people are taking this news better than the fans on the Nancy Drew Games facebook page. I’m going to say the same thing I said there. I’m willing to put up with this, but who could fill her shoes? and will the writers stay true to some of the material, personality wise?

8. herman1959 says:

I like the diversity angle, but I still like Nancy as a teenager best. Making her a thirty-something just sounds like (almost) every other cop show/mystery…what’s the point?

9. Louis E. says:

A giant NO to a nonwhite detective character being marketed as if she were Nancy Drew,they are welcome to have any number of shows with such characters provided they don’t attempt to redefine an existing character who is NOT nonwhite.

I’d like to see a systematic life story for Nancy Drew taking her forward from her teen days,I don’t know that her 30s should be the next stop,let alone her 60s.

10. Mary says:

Should still be late teens/early 20s working on her own, not for any police department.

11. Imagine if it was “thirtysomething female Shaft” instead of “thirtysomething color-conscious Nancy Drew”. Would “thirtysomething female Shaft” be acceptable?

12. Liz says:

I can’t decide how I feel about this. On the one hand, I don’t even get why they’re calling it nancy Drew since it seems to have nothing to do with the books, and they’re not even trying to bring the characters to life. On the other hand, I like elementary, and have no issues with a female Watson of Asian decent. I guess it will depend on the energy of the show when all is said and done….

13. David says:

Yes heaven forbid we don’t upset generation crybaby. Why can’t she be LGBT? Why isn’t superman played by a cat?

News flash: Nancy Drew is white. There would be nothing wrong with Ned (?) being another race but please let’s not ruin another beloved character…just to appease generation crybaby.

• Simon Jester says:

And making her non-white would “ruin” her because it was her lily white skin that made her a good detective? Join us in the post-1950s world, chief.

• johnhelvete says:

I agree with you. Changing the race of a fictional character should not matter as long as the setting is appropriate. If CBS was doing Nancy Drew in the 1950’s for example, than making her a person of color might not work for the time period but in 2016 I dont see the issue.

• Dude says:

Changing her race would not ruin her as a character. Making her a 30-something police detective so she can star on CSI: Who Gives a F— is what will ruin her.

• Annie says:

Stop being racist.
      Also, a Cat Superman movie sounds like something that should be made right now.

• MiaB says:

Nancy Drew is a fictional character, so she’s whatever race and sex, for that matter, that she’s made. I find it hilarious that the same folk that get worked up over a fictional character being made non-white or non-male don’t get upset about biblical characters from the Middle East all being white in movies.

• Long Time Fan says:

Nancy Drew is such a specific character. Why can’t she be the character of her books. If they want to make another show about someone else fine. But if they are doing Nancy Drew it should be someone like Nancy Drew. Get so tired of people changing things to make everyone happy. I think Elementary has worked because they did not change Sherlock. Change Ned, change Bess and George, but don’t change Nancy.

14. Deion says:

Amandla Stenberg. It would stay in keeping with her career devastating the portions of Americans that can only identify with a beloved character if they can only picture that character as a white person. And let’s not forget her torrid affair with private detective Frank Hardy, who we will keep as white, of course, introducing him in the second season with his brother Joe, who is openly gay and involved with one of the boys from The Boxcar Children, we’ll pick which is most age appropriate later.

15. Make it Aubrey Plaza to add a bit of quirkiness and we’ll call it a compromise. We had a Caucasian Nancy Drew before with Veronica Mars anyway.

16. John036 says:

Hettienne Park would be amazing as Nancy

17. Jason says:

So they’re turning it into just another cop show. That’s disappointing. I was hoping for something a little more along the lines of Veronica Mars. Why even base it on Nancy Drew if it’s not really in the same spirit?

18. R says:

“It’s not ‘The best actor wins'”… pass.

19. Go Jump Glenn Geller says:

To deliberately making an effort to exclude white actors is racist on its face. I’m not interested in supporting discrimination of ANY kind. I’ll give your project a pass.

• Annie says:

You can’t be racist against white people. It’s just not a thing. We (white people) face absolutely NO barriers because of our skin colour. Racism is dependent on pervasive and wide-spread barrier because of race. If there are no barriers, there can’t be racism.
      They also said they weren’t excluding white actors, they are just open to other race actors.

20. Josh says:

Who cares what color she is, a 30 year nypd detective is just awful. It’s every cop show.

I was hoping they’d at least her in young 20’s and still a PI.

NYPD detective is the most boring option possible.

21. Paul says:

Cote de Pablo

22. Dude says:

So it’s Elementary.

23. Soo…. she’s always been a redhead why the need to change that? And seriously, yet another nypd detective? While certainly plausible, it could be a little more original

• DoctorWhoFanatic says:

Technically she was a blonde… and then an artist made her reddish hair on a cover and the writers wrote it in. ;)

24. tj895 says:

“…the Australian series Upper Middle Bogan, which follows a woman who discovers she was adopted, then meets her real relatives “. Real relatives? Don’t you mean biological relatives?

25. Paul says:

Ugh.
    I’d say turn the clock back, have the show set in the 1930s (possibly filmed in black & white) and make it more nostalgic.

26. Last time I checked Caucasian is an ethnicity too, so based on the wording of quote she could actually still be played by any woman in her thirties.

27. Jason Castleman says:

All that BS about diversity, even going so far as saying it’s not about finding the best actor, and then all three people making the show are white as snow.

28. MJ says:

I think CBS sees shows like Empire, How to Get Away With Murder, Master of None, and many other shows winning awards with minorities leading the cast and their shows aren’t winning the awards like they use too. Plus they do not really have any shows with a strong minority cast member as the lead except maybe Joan on Elementary or when Rush Hour premieres. They are trying to keep up. Many other networks have embraced an all minority main cast or a minority lead cast member but CBS has not. They think this will make them look good. I myself am African American and I love Nancy Drew but I am not completely sold on them changing her race. It would really have to be the right actress.

29. Meg D says:

How can one person be “diverse”? CBS keeps using that word. . . I do not think it means what they think it means.

30. mike says:

So..its Castle without the writer..

31. Jake says:

Just cast RuPaul and be done with it. Then they’d get a three-fer.

32. Lurch says:

So, essentially, Kate Becket from Castle gets her own show. Sorry, I love mysteries, but I smell “colossal flop” here. Granted, that may be because I find the mentioned shows to be worthless and don’t hold any hope writers would get better in a new venue. I’m willing to be surprised, though.

33. John says:

CBS wants diversity…I’ve got your diversity right here:

Kal Penn as a transgender woman.
    Diverse enough for ya?

34. Temperance says:

In other words, they don’t really care about the show, they are just pumping up their diversity stats.

35. KC says:

“Diverse”? Dumbest idea ever.

36. Well I think we know why Kate Beckett’s being written out of Castle ;)

37. Blake says:

Maybe I’ve had Greek on the brain lately, but the first person that came to mind when I read this was Spencer Grammer. Casey Cartwright turned Nancy Drew is definitely an idea I can support!

38. Charles Patterson says:

Very glad to see CBS is keeping Shaw of POI show and giving her a new show Nancy Drew. She is Great Beautiful actress.