Supergirl Toyman

Supergirl's Jeremy Jordan: Winn's 'Challenging' Reunion With His Toyman Dad Brings Up 'Dark Emotions'

Supergirl fans, you might want to savor the fun, quippy side of Winn Schott while it lasts. Because in tonight’s episode (CBS, 8/7c), that lightheartedness is nowhere to be found.

Though Jeremy Jordan‘s lovesick IT whiz has mostly been utilized for a well-placed one-liner, the character will enter much darker territory when he is reunited with his estranged father, Winslow Schott, Sr. aka DC Comics’ The Toyman (played by Revenge alum Henry Czerny).

Considering Winn has previously told Kara about his dad’s bad deeds, Jordan is able to sum up the father-son relationship in just two words: “Not good.”

Supergirl Toyman“It parallels Kara’s relationship [with her birth parents] a bit, because she feels abandoned even though they had to do what they had to do,” Jordan shares. “For Winn, it was abandonment without a reason and without understanding. We’ll learn a little more about why and what that was. He’s definitely holding on to some deep, dark emotions when it comes to confronting his dad that are brought to the surface very quickly.”

In fact, Winn’s interactions with his father won’t just be contained to this week’s hour. According to Jordan, those deep-seeded daddy issues will have a ripple effect across the rest of Season 1 and will largely explain why Winn is so quick to deliver a punchline.

“You start to see what’s behind the fun quippiness and why Winn is like that. Nobody’s that light-hearted all the time,” he teases. “It’s compensating for something. We really get to have an idea of why he’s always being the happy-go-lucky guy. It was a really challenging episode for me.”

But that doesn’t mean Winn is immune to the evil that runs in his family. Though Jordan admits it’s “going to take a lot for Winn to go [to the dark side]” and perhaps one day succeed his father as a next-gen Toyman, “it’s clearly in his blood. I can’t rule it out, because I don’t know what their big plans are for the whole series.”

Supergirl fans, are you looking forward to Winn’s big episode? Hit the comments!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. I sure hope he doesn’t go down that path. Kind of reminds me what Caitlin is going through on Flash. I like his character

• The Watcher says:

I’d have no problem with Winn becoming a Next-Gen Toyman if after all the “Will he go darkside” back and forth is over Winn becomes a character much like the “Hiro Okamura” Toyman. Ally to Batman and Superman and Honorarly Member of the JLA.

Arrow & Flash have done a great job populating their worlds not only with new villians, but additional HEROES as well. I’d love to see Winn step up and become a more Solidified and Contributing member of the Team. (ala where Mr. Terrific is headed on Arrow)

2. prish says:

This whole new focus is a disappointment. I’ll be sure to fast forward these parts of any upcoming episodes. I do not watch Supergirl for going-to-the-dark-side thrills. It is all about the fun of the office to super and back, imho. They should concentrate on Super/Office and keep it light.

3. ninergrl6 says:

I’ve loved Jeremy for years & I’m sure he’ll knock this heavier stuff out of the park, but I hope in the long run Winn keeps his quippy, adorable personality.

4. Joey Padron says:

Good preview about new episode. Can’t wait to watch the episode tonight!

5. Ed says:

I haven’t been keeping up with Supergirl, but I swear whenever I read the name Jeremy Jordan, it takes me back to the early 90’s with Beverly Hills, 90210 when nearly every time when the end credits roll up you see Donna standing at the jukebox saying “Jeremy Jordan..All Right” and then his song “Right kind of love” starts to play….anyone else remember this? LOL

• ChrisGa says:

Yep, totally remember that(I actually loved that song at the time). That Jeremy Jordan went on to star with Drew Barrymore in the film Never Been Kissed but I’m not sure if he’s done much since then.

6. Phun says:

Wow! I really hope Winn Jr doesn’t go to the dark side like his father. Looking forward to tonight’s episode of Toyman and more of Martian Manhunter. Busy week this week in the DC Universe. Life is good. :)

7. Leah says:

I Love Winn and I Love Jeremy Jordan, so I’m looking forward to seeing this play out! (Pun intended, maybe?)

8. Kevin says:

Can’t wait for tonights episode

9. King says:

I love Winn and I like him better for Kara!!!

10. Rebecca says:

Ugh, good to know about this being a Winn-centric ep so I can avoid tonight’s episode. I don’t need an episode of Winn’s manpain where Kara can apologize to him over it. Bad enough that they made her apologize to Winn just because she has a crush on Jimmy and NOT him. Classic emotional manipulation right there and I’m not here for guys doing that to girls. Pass on tonight.

11. Wow the only thing I wanted to see less than more of Winn would be Winn and his father issues. The only characters who are bigger wastes of space and screentime rn is Betsy and Zoe on Sleepy Hollow and well, I quit that show.

• Rebecca says:

You just summed up my feelings re. Winn perfectly. Winn is like what Hook is on OUAT. A ‘pay attention to me’ guy who I’m forced to apparently ‘feel sorry’ for just because he has some crap father? Please. I’m over this trope.

• I think of him more as the Nice Guy Temporary Love Interest archetype, the best-friend-with-a-crush who’s there to get huffy when she makes eyes at the actual Endgame Love Interest (James) and maybe even wears her down to date him a while to put off her getting together with Endgame Guy – Hook is a different problem (Crappy Love Interest but also Endgame Guy), but sorta part of the same bigger issue of “girls don’t want nice guys, girls wants bad boys who treat them badly” that shines through in the writing of a lot of these shows.

But this guy’s more in the Xander/Riley from Buffy, Finn from The 100, Will from Alias, that friend guy in the Shadowhunters (I watched the first 2 eps, haven’t learned names and idk if I’ll keep watching), etc wheelhouse. Completely bland and not remotely interesting as a character.
        (And ofc there’s a female equivalent including aforementioned ladies from SH, Caitlin on The Flash, arguably Karen on Daredevil, but the male version is worse since it comes with the added grossness of male entitlement to affections and attention – you’d never see a woman yell at a man for getting flirty with his Endgame Love Interest, not even if he was married.)