Post Mortems
Shameless Fiona Pregnant

Shameless Boss on Fiona's Discovery: 'She Doesn't Want [Spoiler]'

Warning: The following contains spoilers from Sunday’s episode of Shameless

Shameless dropped another bombshell on viewers during Sunday night’s episode — but the latest baby twist didn’t belong to mother-to-be Debbie.

While getting drug tested for her new job promotion, Fiona learned that she’s pregnant.

“First of all, we wanted to show real life,” executive producer Nancy Pimental says of the storyline. “We just wanted to show the authenticity of a 24-year-old who has a lot of sex. She’s probably going to get pregnant if she’s not [using protection].”

Pimental acknowledges that there are obvious parallels between the two Gallagher sisters’ arcs, but the EP also wanted to “explore a completely different storyline from Debbie’s, where she is so positive this is what she wants to do, and Fiona is so positive that she doesn’t want the baby,” Pimental says.

After having raised her siblings, “there’s no hesitation” on Fiona’s part about not wanting to have a child, Pimental continues. “You never see that either. People usually grapple with their choices.” And if you’re still doubting Fiona’s stance, the EP confirms that by suggesting she and Debbie go to the clinic together, Fi “absolutely” means she wants to have an abortion.

So will she go through with the procedure? “You definitely find out a few episodes later,” Pimental hedges, adding that Fiona will “ultimately tell Sean” about the baby despite the fact that he recently relapsed and shot up drugs.

Meanwhile, Debs “digs her heels in the sand more” in regard to her own pregnancy, Pimental previews.

“Debbie is her own individual person, and it’s right for her,” she continues. “If anything, she’s almost more mature about it than Fiona, because Fiona is trying to put this blanket action over both of them, and Debbie’s attitude is, ‘We’re two different people. You go and do what you want, but I want to do what I want.'”

Shameless fans, did Fiona’s baby news surprise you?

1. Michael says:

I’m begging the Dad Is Jimmy/Steve

• Julie says:

Yes me too. If Jimmy doesn’t come back to the show, Shameless won’t make much sense to me. We fell in love with their love. Yes there are many others reasons too but it’s always been Fiona and Jimmy.

• LM says:

The reason Jimmy was taken off the show was because he was killed off in the British version. However, there is a growing list of actors who were kept on series after they were supposed to die (e.g. Michael Emerson’s “Ben Linus” of “LOST”).

Great chemistry between Chatwin and Rossum (check out “Killer Carl” and “Just Like the Pilgrims Intended” to see examples of that amazing chemistry). Bring him back, and let the couple grow.

• Brittany says:

Jimmy was not killed off on the British version. The British version he comes back and they get married and move away and he helps her raise the baby that isn’t his. Where did you get your information?

• LM says:

Jimmy needs to return. When Jimmy was gone the first time, Fiona is portrayed as a whore (sorry, but she did sleep around), and once again, she’s bed hopping (telling Jimmy to leave so she can be with her husband — who leaves, so she sleeps with Mulroney).

2. Bwhit says:

Are we sure the baby’s father is Sean? I only ask because A)it’s Fiona and B) she slept with Jimmy and Gus on the same day last season. Maybe I missed how far the time jump was but she could have three candidates for a baby daddy. The only part that surprised me was that it took until season 6 for this to happen.

3. Liz says:

The producers keep saying that Debbie is her own person and this is the right decision for her and that it’s somehow mature, and I just don’t see it (and them keep saying it does not make it any more true IMO…)

• Joey says:

This is also on a show where the writers thought basically dumping the Milkoviches was a good idea, so…

• para says:

Debbie’s teen mom thing is kind of a turn off, When lips and Ian were teenagers I think they were more” poor family trying to be good and making things better” lips built a robot and Ian was working out hard for West Point,

But look at the young ones, Debbie is a teen mom and Carl sells guns at school. I really really think they are pushing it, I don’t like how they wrote them into now.

Shame. used to be my favorite show

• Tm says:

Hence the name shame less..that’s what this show is about…and think about it Fiona had more control over the two oldest …she’s not really around for Carl or Debbie…plus they are more rebellious towards their elders…..

• Gwen says:

Good point! they are making those who are downtrodden in life look l like the only way they can pull themselves out of their predicament is with crime, being a loser for life or faking lesbianism to stay somewhere for free.

4. wrstlgirl says:

Geez, it’s bad enough that they made Debbie pregnant, now Fiona. Well either way Fiona will end up raising another kid. Great, ugh.

5. Kell says:

Almost every single female character on this show has had some kind of baby/pregnancy storyline, not surprising in the slightest that they went that direction with Fiona as well.

6. Erin says:

I would love for this baby to be jimmy/Stevie’s it’s a great way to get him back on the show … He is dearly missed and bring back Micky!!!

7. Back to the DVR says:

It’s almost like Shameless has no idea what to do with female characters except make them pregnant. The last three seasons have involved at least one or more female characters being pregnant or having a baby. This show has gotten so boring and repetitive, and they’ve taken away the things that made it great like the family helping each other out. The Showtime curse strikes again.

8. Kendra says:

Ok so Fiona’s baby news surprised me so much that after working third shift I watched on demand & had to wake my husband to tell him. I do like Fiona with Sean but I LOVE her with Jimmy/Steve. Fiona was his dream girl. He was so supportive with helping with the kids when they were together. I would be so frickin happy if it’s Jimmy/Steve baby he moves back in become a doctor & takes care of the family. With Jimmy as a doctor and Lip in a great career, they could support the family & the new baby. I would love that happily ever after.

• Julie says:

See I have the same vision for this show. Jimmy becomes a Dr and comes back to take care of Fiona and the kids. Their love story is not over. Fiona is young and true love doesn’t go away. And the love scenes with fiona and Sean(or Gus… eh..) literally make me have to look away from the screen. I never ever looked away with her and Jimmy. It was real from the beginning.

• LM says:

What makes Jimmy great is that he’s got a moral compass, BUT he’s still got his shady side — just like the rest of the Gallaghers. He has the right mix of danger and heart.

• Andrea says:

Totally agree

9. Amy says:

“You never see that either. People usually grapple with their choices.” Except for, maybe, Cristina on Grey’s who was always adamant that she didn’t want children.

10. Mark says:

I feel bad for Emmy Rossum, Season 1 to 4 gave her great material to work with, Season 4 being the pinnacle, but with Season 5 and now this development, her story line just stinks, she deserves better, it’s like the writers hate her character.

• Tim says:

I wonder if they’ve changed writers? How can a show nosedive so fast? Fiona and Debs should get abortions on the same day—that’s a “shameless” move that needs to happen.

• Mark says:

I believe the writers are the same, maybe that’s the problem. I’ve read and heard from various sources that Emmy Rossum has not been thrilled with the direction her character has been taking as of late, to bad the show runner and writers won’t listen to her concerns.

• Mark says:

If Fiona decides to have this baby, I will be so disappointed. I know that reads as mean, but it would be a betrayal of the integrity and honesty of her character.

11. Cas says:

Please be Jimmy/Steves! I like Sean but not with Fiona. Sorry but I just find him way too old for her. And I love Steve so yeah.

12. Hedy S. says:

This show is really going down the crapper. Seriously, they couldn’t come up with a better storyline than having both Gallagher girls preggers? Where are the Milkoviches, and please bring back Sheila!!

13. Lisa says:

The show has one way off track from the beginning of the series .
    As another commenter suggested, the show started out with a poor family trying to do what they can to get by , but at least they all worked together, now it has gone so far off track. I kind of hope the baby is Gus’s, actually. Please let Sean slide back into his addiction, so Fiona leaves him. Those two are a terrible match. It’s actually gross . Gus might not provide the tension that Jimmy does, but at least he is stable. Or both pregnancies could be just a bad dream that Fiona had.😉

14. Amanda Frankum says:

I like Fiona with Gus and I hope it’s his baby! Jimmy/Steve is not dependable and she need stability and if she would treat her husband better I think they would work out out. I would like to see more of Gus. Sean is to old for her. And is a drug addict.

• LM says:

Jimmy was dependable — until the writers changed him. Watch “Just Like the Pilgrims Intended”, and then decide if you still think he’s undependable (not to mention him boarding Lip, when Fiona kicked him out).

15. HAP says:

Why, oh why has Emmy Rossum never received an Emmy or Golden Globe nomination for her work on this show? She is the center of it all. She actually did get a globe nom for her work in Phantom Of the Opera, ten years ago.

• Mark says:

Because she’s giving the best DRAMATIC performance on TV, on a show that the producers and network fought to have declared a COMEDY.

16. Melody says:

The show is just not the same show anymore. It reminds of the final seasons of Weeds. Its like alot of Showtime shows lose direction as they progress.
    The Debbie storyline is awful and so is the Fiona storyline. And Carl needs to go away or get killed off.

17. Wendy Price says:

I like Emily Rossum but not in this role. She doesnt seem real to me, seems a little too classy. And they are giving her terrible story lines. Didnt see any chemistry with Fiona and Gus. More chemistry with Sean but he is going down the tubes. Why are they dragging on the Frank – Bianca storyline? Carl seems too unbelievable. The big black dude should be running him instead of vice versa. I am truly missing Mandy Micky Sheila Jodie.

18. Keith says:

Lets hope its Steve’s.

19. dawn says:

LET IS BE JIMMY/STEVE/JACK’S BABY PLEASE!!! I MISS HIM SO. Fiona and Sean are just GROSS

20. Ilene says:

Jimmy has to return!! The show is not the same without there love !! Let the baby be jimmys!!! Fingers crossed!!!

21. Jasmyne says:

I will like if the baby was gus’s child and she kept it

22. Malone says:

I have to agree I would like Fiona to keep the baby and it be Jimmy/steves. Have Jimmy ride in and save the day…have them all go back to the siblings all pulling together to make the best for the family. It’s how no matter what was thrown at them they were a family, they had each otherside backs that drew me to the show.

23. Rpsj says:

Not really lol it better be Jimmy/Steve lol

24. Whitney says:

Jimmy! Jimmy! Jimmy! Don’t like Sean or Gus. That chemistry is severely lacking without him on the show.

• debbyjhart says:

100%,100%,100% correct. I just hope she decides to keep it. I seen an article that had the writer or producer mention Jimmy being up in there of coming back. So I see he definitely will before the series finale or sooner please……

25. Lisa says:

Ok Fiona is pregnant. I really don’t want it to be Jack-Jimmy-Steve’s he can’t make up his mind what he wants even though he says he loves her. I like Gus but he is wishy washy. Sean although unpredictable with his drug problems is trying. I think it will probably be JJS’s baby then Fiona will think before she has an abortion. I’m sorry to hear Sean uses again, but with his son gone I can understand how it happened.

26. Gwen says:

So she DID or did not have the abortion?

27. Kara says:

Sean and Fiona are literally even more boring than Gus and Fiona were. Just bring Jimmy/Steve back already and put us all out of our misery. His “final” appearance was so contrived and OOC. Shameless needs to do better by Chatwin and his undeniable chemistry with Emmy. This’ll be the last season I watch if there’s no hint of a return from tbh.

• debbyjhart says:

I agree 100%. But don’t give up to soon. I see Sean the actor having a series coming out the same time shameless does, filming conflicts ?? Also the wedding will definitely not happen or something important Will stop it. Chatwins series comes out this summer, no conflicts! I think highly he will comeback and they will be the end game.

28. Amy says:

Please bring Jimmy Steve back. Show just not the same.

• Debby Hart says:

I agree. Its hasn’t been real good since season 4. I just hope that by the time Shameless is over he comes back to be with Fiona.