Jessica Jones Renewed for Season 2

Marvel’s Jessica Jones might want to invest in a second gray scarf.

Netflix has renewed its Krysten Ritter-led comic-book drama for Season 2, it was announced Sunday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour in Pasadena.

According to Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos, the sophomore run (which will again consist of 13 episodes) won’t debut until the upcoming Marvel series The Defenders wraps its first season: “The complex [part] is really running into The Defenders. [That] production schedule will affect a lot of the Season 2 and Season 3 outputs [for other Marvel projects].”

Jessica Jones‘ first season — which made TVLine’s list of the 10 Best Drama Series of 2015 — is now streaming.

Psyched for more Jessica Jones? Hit the comments and tell us!

1. Olivia says:

Expected but still yay! :)

2. Mark says:

Expected release date???,

3. D. says:

It was about time! Such a great show!

4. Leon Ste says:

My favorite series 2015 ! <3 Can't wait for season 2 !

5. Eric says:

They need to make this show WAY better. The ending was good but the show was soooooo boring most of the time.

• johnhelvete says:

First suggestion, do fewer than 13 episodes. I saw a few film critics year end lists and they mentioned the series would have been a lot better if it was 2 episodes shorter (which is probably true for a lot of these 13 episode Netflix series).

6. Emmy says:

Duh! as if it was at risk of being cancelled

• lauren says:

would you rather they didn’t pass along the official news, being so “duh” and all? yeesh. appreciate the good things.

7. WingsStef says:

It says season 2 isn’t coming until after the first season of Defenders so it will be a while yet. Still, good news. Jessica Jones was a good show, especially picked up near the end. Can’t wait for second season of Daredevil in a couple months. I just recently rewatched after finishing up Jessica Jones.

8. rcb918 says:

I don’t get why Jessica Jones Season 2 will be affected by The Defenders. Just start production now, and have it start filming around the same time or even before Iron Fist starts filming. Get them both finished, do The Defenders, then do Daredevil Season 3, Luke Cage Season 2, Iron Fist Season 2, and Jessica Jones Season 3.

• Maryann says:

Maybe the content of Jessica Jones Season 2 will be affected by The Defenders and the first season of the remaining shows?

• HAP says:

Maybe because Krysten Ritter is in The Defenders! And from what I understand, her role is somewhat out of sync with who she became in the Jessica Jones series. Same character, but totally different character. She’s a burnout in Jessica Jones. She’s a bonafide superheros in The Defenders.

• johnhelvete says:

I think the solution is fairly straightforward. Jessica Jones season 2 does not have to be 13 episodes, better to do 8-10 episodes for season 2 instead of waiting two years. It is not exactly rock science if there are production issues because they have to film The Defenders by a certain time, do fewer episodes for season 2.

9. Jackie says:

If we have to wait until Luke Cage, Iron Fist and The Defenders, we are looking at probably 2018 for a release. When announced this Netflix universe, they said about one show a year. Daredevil will be in a couple months, Luke Cage probably next fall, The Defenders spring of 2017. So maybe fall of 2017 at the earliest. Who knows.

10. lame says:

Best news to date..That along with Agent Carter will make for real entertaining tv.

11. valeriel40 says:

YAAAAASSS. Unfortunate that we have to wait until AFTER The Defenders. I loved Daredevil & Jessica Jones! And cannot WAIT for Luke Cage!

12. jj says:

happy to hear this!

13. Matt C. says:

YAY! Probably my favorite Netflix show thus far.

14. Annie says:

Excellent. Wasn’t any doubt that it would get a renewal, but still happy to see it haha

15. nabocane says:

Yeah, it’d BETTER BE!

16. Luli says:

Yes finally!! But we have to wait after the defenders?? What? That will be in like 3 years?

17. tahonia2 says:

I’m glad it’s renewed. Now does anyone know where to get the theme song? I bought ring tones from iTunes, but it’s not the beginning. I want the whole song.

18. Now this is fantastic news!

19. rgb says:

Can’t wait for S2 of Jessica Jones. I enjoyed binge watching it on Netflix.

20. The Carpooler says:

YES! Great show all around. Cannot wait for the second season. Along with Luke Cage, a very promising Netflix schedule to be excited for.

I’ll watch Iron Fist as well, but I am not familiar with that character.

21. Cameron says:

So excited! With so many Netflix shows coming out, I’m glad this is getting the attention it deserves. I thought they did a fantastic job with casting and throwing in some humor where it was needed. One of my favorite Netflix shows so far.

22. GatorGirl says:

YAY, I have been following Krysten Ritter for quite a while. I thinks she is a great Actress and also beautiful. Thanks Netflix for another season. Hope it isn’t too far into the future.

23. Carey Toalaon says:

Can’t wait for Jessica to return to her crime fighting on Netflix ! As much as we all wanted to see her KILl Killgrave I think he will be missed by all of us Jessica jones fans! Can’t wait for her to kick some new bad guy butt! LOVE THIS SHOW !