Gilmore Girls Revival

Gilmore Girls Revival: Netflix Boss Teases Upcoming 'Announcement'

Netflix is breaking its silence about that in-the-works Gilmore Girls revival.

At the Television Critics Association winter press tour in Pasadena on Sunday, the streaming giant’s Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos updated reporters on the voraciously anticipated project. “I can’t tell you much about Gilmore Girls,” he said. “We’re still working on buttoning down everything before our announcements.”

Amy Sherman-Palladino and exec producer Daniel Palladino (AKA Team Palladino) will write and direct the entire revival, which will consist of four 90-minute episodes/mini-movies. As TVLine exclusive revealed, each episode will represent a different season over the course of one calendar year. In other words, there will be a fall chapter, a winter chapter, a spring chapter and a summer chapter. The revival will be set in the present day, or roughly eight years after the series ended.

Negotiations with the show’s primary cast — Lauren Graham, Alexis Bledel, Kelly Bishop and Scott Patterson — continue.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Guest says:

Does it normally take this long to negotiate?

• Cordelia says:

I kind of hope that means they’re talking to Matt Crutzky as well. Still think Logan was the best thing that ever happened to Rory (and argueably also the worst, at least it made her stand on her own two feet and take a few risks) …

• Tee says:

Best thing to ever happen to Rory???! Excuse me, but did you even watch the show–do you know our girl Rory?! The best thing that every happened to her was following what SHE wanted to do: go back to Yale, mend fences with her mom, finish that degree, and follow a politician on the campaign trail. The show was never about who Rory would end up with, but the fact that she was an intelligent and independent girl, and she would make her own choices and decisions despite what was expected of her immediate family and unique upbringing.

• Josh says:

• S. says:

You’re kidding right? She didn’t decide to do any of those things on her own. I mean I think Jess is a douchenozzle, but he totally started that ball rolling. She patched things up with her mom after she got back to what she was doing before and she doesn’t get extra awesome adult gold stars for it. She decided not to throw away something her mom sacrificed a lot to prepare her for and her grandparents were paying for? Oh bravo, I guess, Rory. I’m sick of people resenting the ‘I wonder who she’ll end up with’ speculation of fans of different shows as if rooting for a girl or woman to find someone somehow makes them *not* independent. Independence of mind and career doesn’t equate with being alone. You can be with another person and have strength. They can respect your choices and encourage them. She never even gave Logan a chance by saying ‘look not now, but let me establish my career and then we can talk about it.’ Give him a chance to decide if he can do that before just breaking up, geez. Does she think everybody on the Obama bus is single too? Others are gonna be able to handle it. Let’s just admit it, they broke up because the writers decided to do that, not because it made sense. Ergo, Logan (the guy with enough courtesy and respect to ask Lorelei’s permission rather than be obnoxious all the time to her like Jess) should be the one Rory ends up with assuming it’s with a familiar face at all. If she ends up with Jess as if he was some pre-destined soulmate for life I swear, it’ll ruin the entire series for me. He’s horrible. He became a better person when he left and I say let him keep going on that journey. I don’t need Rory to end up with him.

• Bee Rich says:

Seriously, Logan was the worst relationship for Rory out of all three. Jess was the best. The storyline would have evolved more with Jess, if Amy Sherman-Palladino had continued her role as the producer. That is the only reason Jess didn’t even get a chance while on the series, only changing when he was gone. Not to mention, Jess was a kid before he left. He wasn’t bad. He was dealt a bad hand, grew up, and prospered. If Amy Sherman-Palladino does produce the series, don’t be surprised if Rory is with Jess. That’s who she should be with. Logan is the epitome of everything Rory hated. That’s how you can tell the producer wasn’t the original anymore.

• JosiahBartlet4President says:

I could not stand Jess. He was incredibly rude to all of Rory’s family. He also didn’t treat Rory that nicely.

• JosiahBartlet4President says:

The revival was only announced in October. Writing contracts and negotiating schedules and salaries takes time. That’s just my guess.

2. Peter says:

Hopefully negotiations are on with Melissa McCarthy too. She was primary cast also when it was on.

• With the end of Mike & Molly, it’s going to be harder for her to claim a scheduling problem if she declines their offer.

• Kirk says:

If she keeps on saying yes to every terrible movie script that lands on her agent’s desk, she’s going to regret passing on this reunion once those other offers start drying up.

• Yeah, we need Sookie more than another bad physical comedy where she’s only funny because she’s “fat” (which she isn’t as much anymore).

• Temperance says:

Considering that I don’t find ‘being fat funny, I’d advise her to take any actual acting roles instead of wasting her time on that other worthless drek she does.

• I also don’t find being “fat” as “funny” but, I think McCarthy’s ability to by-pass her size and BE funny is an attribute to her ability as a comedian. Kind of a female John Belushi, John Candy, Chris Farley type of style to her comedy roles. Bad…well…I think that depends upon personal tastes. I wouldn’t call “Bridesmaids” a “bad film”. I laughed…quite a bit, actually. :) Sookie…was “cute”….not, belly laugh, funny. I found Michel wittier than Sookie. The character was a “side-kick”…and…honestly…while cute…replaceable.

• Gilmore Fan says:

Have you actually watched any of her movies? “Bridesmaids”? “Spy”? “The Heat”? Melissa McCarthy is one of the funniest women alive and it has nothing to do with her size. She just knows how to bring the comedy to a role. I enjoyed her role as Sookie as much as anyone, but it does not diminish the success she has had in the intervening years since Gilmore ended.

• Patrick says:

IDK. Accept one of Netflix’s notorious low ball offers, or take 5+ million to do a movie? Decisions, decisions.
          Yeah, I’ll take the 5 million. What that? The script is awful. Huh. Will the check clear? It will? Yeah, I’ll still take that 5 million.

• Well…those “terrible movie scripts that land on her agent’s desk”, have taken her to the bank more than any of the other Glimore Girls cast lately. :)

• Stacy says:

You mean the scripts written by her husband, Ben Falcone? The ones that pay a crap ton more than a measly GG appearance? I’d love to see MM return as Sookie, but I could certainly understand if she decided to continue starring in her own movies rather than playing Lorelai’s sidekick.

3. aph1976 says:

They may want to make sure they have all the actors tied down before announcing anything about which movie consists of.Plus i do wonder each movie will have a separate main story but each movie is tied together

• I bet Scott’s the holdout. I seem to remember him having to fight through contract negotiations in the past.

• Actually, I’ve tweeted with Scott Patterson (Luke) who is pretty enthusiastic it seems about the revival. :)

• I’m sure he is excited. I’m also sure that he wants what he considers fair compensation, which can be hard for any cast member who isn’t a “Gilmore Girl.”

• Interesting take on things. I think that they all went through some contract negotiation issues, not just Patterson….because…I think that WB was wanting to take more control over the show. Amy Sherman-Palladino, herself, had to walk on the contract and that resulted in the lousy, final season where no ends were tied up and left us all hanging. So, I don’t think Patterson was a “hold out”. I think everyone there got the shaft in one way or another. I could be wrong on that but, that was my understanding of it all.

4. tattoorose40 says:

Now that Mike and Molly is cancelled maybe Melissa McCarthy will come back as Sookie. I am intrigued to find out how its all going to play out. Especially L&L. Finally an ending we can hopefully walk away from with closure this time.

5. Jason Stoesz says:

Wow…talk about clickbait. Most mundane “comment” ever and TVLine throws together a headline to get people to click on it. Netflix virtually said NOTHING and you guys spin into “something.”

• Sheila says:

And we’ve been told all of this already! Crankypants!

• pinky says:

Hehe that’s exactly what I thought! A whole article about some guy saying he can’t say anything…I think that a good portion of the ‘hype’ about this reboot is artificially manufactured by articles like this

6. Katelyn says:

So if negotiations are still happening & they can’t confirm, how come sets are being built? Wouldn’t they wait until it’s confirmed? I just really can’t wait for formal announcement!!

7. Dennis says:

What about Melissa aka Sooki?!

8. David Torres says:

What are the odds Melissa McCarthy makes a cameo, in one of the four eps?
    Even be a regular in the four eps?

9. sarah says:

I hope they bring back Dean Forester for at least one episode ! It would be great to see Jared Padalecki on GG again .

• edyn says:

Nah. He is good as a Winchester. Gilmore series is over, but Rory can still be married to someone else. I cannot see him going from a Winchester after 11 years back to the Gilmore series for a few episodes. Rory went off to college and probably meet someone there. It would be fitting to have a Gilmore wedding with Rory and see her career.

• Jimmy says:

Considering his comments during the reunion panel I would net he’d make at least a cameo. He seems to have some very fond memories of his time on the show.

• Nicole says:

They have made agh references in Supernatural… I bet he would be okay with coming back for an episode

• Dan says:

He wants to do it but it all depends on whether or not he can schedule it around doing Supernatural. They wrap in April so they’ll probably be able to at least bring him in for a cameo appearance.

10. Lindsey says:

Weird, this seemed like the perfect time to announce it, since the sets are being put back together and there’s already a page for it on Backstage saying they start shooting February 2nd. Wonder if they’re still working on some of the smaller players and want to announce every one at the same time? I have to imagine that they’ve got the big four already if they’re building sets.

11. Liz says:

I can’t wait!! We need more Luke & Lorelei!
    But what about Sookie?

12. Sunny says:

Isn’t Alexis Bledel pregnant? Wonder how that’s impacting shooting or if they’re working it in?

13. Frankly, I hope that they are just testing the waters with 4 (possible…still not confirmed for sure) mini-movies to see viewership but…will go on to full seasons again. I hope for more, I guess than I should. After all, if The Kardashians and Say Yes To The Dress can survive….Gilmore Girls can certainly come back and be a full series again! :)

14. Jakay says:

I’m kind of hoping Rory isn’t with any of her exes, but a new guy. He could be played by Vincent Kartheiser, with his own hair for once. Those two have good chemistry.

• Jimmy says:

Why does she have to be with a guy at all. Can’t she be a happy, successful woman and have that be enough.

• Stacy says:

Absolutely. She can be single and successful and happy all on her own. Nonetheless, most people in the world eventually get married or enter a long term relationship, and fans of TV shows like to speculate and hope that their fave characters end up with someone they believe is “right” for them.
        A person’s worth is not derived from their relationship status — and that applies to both single or married.

15. Paige says:

If Alexis truly is pregnant, I bet they’re waiting for her to have her baby. In my opinion, Rory seemed to me like she never wanted kids and wasn’t planning on having any. So a pregnant Rory would surprising. However, I will be extremely disappointed if Luke and Lorelai don’t have a little one of their own. I think the show dropped so many hints that they were supposed to have a family together.

16. Leannel says:

NO. Aioli can not be absent.

17. CeCe says:

Ausiello I’m surprised that you let this clickbait fluff piece go through. An article saying nothing is more irritating than no article at all. Grr. Will happily wait until there’s a definite air date and confirmed casting, please and thanks.

18. Ashley Lynn says:

I hope Lorelai and Luke aren’t married yet in the reboot, and if they are I hope they renew their vows like Richard and Emily. I’m so glad Emily will be back but it’ll take some time to get used to the idea of no Richard. As for Rory and the three guys in her life, I’m only on season 5 right now and I just got introduced to Logan but from what I’ve seen he’s not that bad. As for Dean, he is dead to me after the episode I just watched where he compares himself and Luke saying Lorelai will leave him, I used to like him but not anymore. Jess is by far my favorite guy for Rory he knows her better than anyone else and they have more in common than Rory and Logan and Rory and Dean but in all honesty, a huge part of me is hoping that Rory ends up with Paris because from what I’ve seen I see quite a bit of chemistry between the two and I adore their friendship. I hope Lane and her mother come back. I also hope that Dave, Tristan, Marty and everyone make a small appearance it wouldn’t be Gilmore Girls without the twos people. (Taylor however I could do without. :)

19. I so would love to see Jess back in the picture! I thought Logan was a self-centered prick and did not like his character at all ! As a matter of a fact, I didn’t really care too much for the seasons after Dean and Jess because it seemed like Rory wasn’t herself . I love how Jess came back into her life and he made something of himself. I would love to see something spark from there like maybe he run into her or something .?

20. Ana says:

I’m so excited. Just finished a complete rewatch. Can’t wait to see how things developed between Lorelai and Luke; what Rory is up to…so sad Richard won’t be there any more. I grew up with this show and loved it so much – even if season 7 didn’t live up to what we had learned to expect from the show. I’m sure Amy Palladino and the beloved cast won’t disappoint us.

21. Maria Richards says:

I would love for Luke & Loreali and Dean & Rory to get back together.

22. Janet says:

Reading all the comments makes me feel that you want the show to be exactly as it was before. No growth, no change. What’s interesting about that? It would be great to see these characters actually move forward in their lives instead of making the same mistakes over again that they made season after season. It got old. Watching Lorlelei with Christopher was so drawn out it got extremely agitating. The only thing I’d like to see is Rory united with Logan. He wasn’t a Stars Hollow rock pulling her backwards. Jessy even with the change could never challenge her, isn’t respectful and classy enough for her. Rory needs to get out of Stars Hollow.

23. I wanted rory to get together with marty. I really liked him. I think logan was an a**hat.

24. Fan89 says:

If Rory is to end up with someone i recon it should be jess or why not Tristan . if it is true paris is coming back that would make a interesting complex on the story line . logan ws b