Exclusive
Punisher Spinoff

Punisher Spinoff Starring Jon Bernthal in Development at Netflix

Netflix is thisclose to pulling the trigger on The Punisher, a new Marvel spinoff series centered on Jon Bernthal’s gun-toting Daredevil vigilante (aka Frank Castle), TVLine has learned exclusively.

Viewers will get their first look at Bernthal’s Punisher when Daredevil ‘s second season drops on Friday, March 18, but the early buzz on the Walking Dead alum’s performance is overwhelmingly positive.

“Viewers watching the show will be rooting for this guy with a gun but we’re also going to force people to second-guess themselves,” previewed exec producer Doug Petrie in a recent interview with EW.com. “Taking lethal justice into your own hands in America in 2015 is tricky s–t.”

For those keeping track at home, this would mark Netflix’s sixth Marvel series, following Daredevil, Jessica Jones, the upcoming Luke Cage, and the in-the-works Iron Fist and The Defenders.

Reps for Netflix and Marvel declined comment.

1. Alex Baldtwins says:

Are there any rumblings on a second season of Jessica Jones?

2. While I’m very excited for this, let’s get a second season of Jessica Jones confirmed before we start any spinoff series!

3. Mulder And Scully says:

EXCELLENT actor….love it.

Very good for the spin off and Season 2 of DD.

4. DavidJ says:

Not too familiar with the character (other than that he’s got a skull on his chest and shoots people), but hey if the show is as good as Daredevil and Jessica Jones have both been, then I’m all for it.

5. Drew says:

Very cool. The movies didn’t work, but sometimes it takes a TV series to really tell a character’s story.
    I’ve heard that there are issues with the Iron Fist series. Could this be a backup plan?
    The Netflix shows have been so much better than most of the other Marvel offerings. (Though Jessica Jones was a mess in the plotting department) I will be happy to see more. Which is weird for me, since I think that the MCU as a whole is pretty much crap.

6. yurie says:

Seems like a different take on the character… right down to him being bald which never happened in the comics. Anyway I’m not too keen on Bernthal as Punisher though… oh well.

7. Robert Dassler says:

Hardly surprising as it would be cheap as heck to produce. No superpowers, just a dude in a black t-shirt shooting and torturing nameless hoods. This is why I have started to despair at Marvel TV – zero imagination. It’s all spy shows and vigilantes (and a few comedies in the future). It’s little wonder that they hummed and hawed so much over Iron Fist.

8. Dawn says:

I loved the movie punisher. I’ll watch Development

9. Ummmm no. If anyone needs a spin-off in that universe it’s absolutely Claire Temple, otherwise their time would be better spent on another season of Jessica Jones.

• Ally says:

I second the idea of a Claire Temple spin-off. Though, if they make her a series regular on all of their current shows, I suppose that would be enough. She’s a regular for season 2 of Daredevil and a rumored regular for season 1 of Luke Cage so hopefully that all pans out and we see a lot more of her this year.

• Hope so but it’d be nice to see her hold her own story instead of just supporting the others. I feel like it would be extra interesting since she doesn’t have powers but knows people who do, the others could come in briefly and help her for a change but I think she can handle her own pretty well too.

• iamtavel says:

If I understand correctly, her whole point in the comics is to support others. Not saying she isn’t worth her own show, just that always being available to others sounds like her thing.

10. Fido says:

My response to a Punisher series is a tentative :yay:, wanting to wait to see how he is portrayed in Daredevil s2 before letting myself get too excited. And then I’d want to see ep1 of the actual series before going into awesome-mode. After Jessica Jones s1 I’m not immediately going to assume I will love anything Marvel TV brings out, but surely they can’t go wrong with the Punisher, right ?! – Punisher War Zone was a joy to watch. :)

11. Joey says:

As far as I know, the second season is due out in June.

12. You go John! You was so AWESOME in The Walking Dead as Shane Walsh,I know you going to knock The Punisher out the ball park!

13. iamtavel says:

Finally. Always thought it was strange Netflix was going after these grittier Marvel stories but were leaving The Punisher out of it.

14. mooshki says:

I get what you were going for, but “pull the trigger” sounds like they’re going to kill the show, not put it into production.

• iamtavel says:

“Pulling the trigger” is an idiomatic expression that means to get something started. It never means to kill something, unless you’re being literal. So, no.

• mooshki says:

It means “to commit to a course of action.” Can be used in either positive or negative ways. I’ve heard it used many times when announcing the cancellation of a show.

• Tav-El says:

Right, but you weren’t talking about cancelling a show. You were talking about deciding to not go ahead with a show that doesn’t exist. That’s not a change in the status quo. That’s an unrealized reality. “Pulling the trigger” wouldn’t logically make sense in that context. The fact that you interpreted it that way means that you’re overthinking it. Especially since the headline reads, “Punisher Spinoff Starring Jon Bernthal in Development at Netflix”. If you really thought that when you read the first line, then you must have assumed the headline to be a lie.

15. Annie says:

Wouldn’t this be a bit of overkill? Too much superhero stuff saturating the market?

16. Annie says:

It might be nice to get a second female-led show before another white male protagonist show. Jessica Jones was perfection, don’t get me wrong, I just would like her to not be the only marvel female lead.

17. Ted A says:

I cant stand Bernthal’s acting. He seems to dominate his scenes without having the grace to concede the camera to fellow actors.

18. Robb says:

I hope we see a Punisher TV series and movie. I don’t care about any of the other series mentioned. And hopefully he’ll kick Daredevil’s skinny red ass.

19. Adam says:

Please PLEAe do a punisher series!!!!!

20. Lucas says:

We all know how awesome a Punisher standalone series would be! He was the defining line of what made season 2 of Daredevil so much better than season 1. I never doubted Jon Bernthal for a second, perfect person for the part.

21. Frank says:

Jessica Jones sucks . Bad choice to make a show out now that . It’s sooo boring

22. John Klenner says:

I would love to see this show. I’ve always loved the Punisher comics and the movie with John Travolta. Jon Bernthal has been great on Daredevil so far. Please give us this, and cancel Jessica Jones.

23. TinLV says:

While watching season 2 of Daredevil and being introduced to Frank Castle, I immediately thought ” this guy needs his own show !”. So I came on Tv line just to see if I had missed any news that might point that direction… so glad to see that Netflix is considering it. Really impressed with Jon Bernthal, who plays “The Punisher”. I never watched the other show he was on, so wasn’t familiar with him, but now I’m a fan.

• TinLV says:

No.. don’t cancel Jessica Jones !!. That show is awesome..There is plenty of room in the Netflix Marvel universe for Jessica, Luke, Daredevil and Punisher.. and I’ll be checking out the other shows they have planned, too.. they are so much better at this than network TV.

24. Jay engle says:

Awesome, please Netflix do this we want more punisher!