Degrassi Next Class Finale

Degrassi: Next Class Finale Recap: Love Lockdown

Friendly warning: This post contains lots of spoilers from the Degrassi: Next Class finale.

Oh, what a difference nine episodes make.

At the top of Degrassi: Next Class‘ 10-episode run, Maya was dating Zig and forming her band; Miles and Tristan were at each other’s throats; Frankie was trapped in a post-Winston funk; and Lola and Shay were friction-free besties. Compared to all of that, the Netflix drama’s first finale felt practically post-apocalyptic.

Let’s begin with Maya, whose on-and-off relationship with Zig is — at least for now — a thing of the past. She was willing to forgive him for “basically” just kissing Zoe, but after hearing the story from Zoe’s perspective, her capacity for compassion vanished faster than Tori Santamaria. (No, seriously, remember her? Poof!) She did, however, forgive Grace for keeping the Zig/Zoe secret from her. Because, you know, she needs to have at least one friend.

Degrassi Next Class FinaleIn other relationship news, Frankie has decided — again, for now — that Winston isn’t the guy for her, after all. That’s right, after spending all season pining over her ex, she’s decided to hop aboard the Jonah Express instead. (Good luck with that!) Lola also apologized for dating Tiny when Shay had clearly called dibs on him, though I’m not sure what that actually accomplished. I mean, it’s not like she’s going to stop dating him or anything.

Then came the biggie: After (reluctantly) coming clean about trolling and swatting Maya, Hunter went into full-on meltdown mode — or should I say “lockdown” mode — and arrived at the Snow Ball with a surprise date: his father’s gun. A last-minute phone call from Miles calmed the little freak-show enough for him to leave his weapon concealed, at least until he arrived home later that night.

But would Hunter really have killed himself if Miles hadn’t walked in on him? And is Miles really going to keep his brother’s secret? Man, it’s hard to believe that the least dramatic Hollingsworth is the one who sold naked pictures of herself to students a few seasons ago; this family is the best kind of trash.

Your thoughts on the Next Class finale? Hopes for the series’ future? Grade the episode below, then drop a comment with your full review.

1. Degrassi Fan says:

As a long time fan, I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed the first ten episodes of Next Class! The storylines moved at a faster pace. the characters felt more real, and you could truly see the impact that social media has on kids of all ages at all times. Every storyline, at some point or another, was impact by some form of media.

The finale was especially suspenseful, as the actor who played Hunter gave one heck of a good performance in this episode, as well as the actor who played Miles.

The move to Netflix has so far proven to be a good one!

• Andy Swift says:

Couldn’t agree more. I’m liking the condensed, 10-episode format that tells a complete story. And the actor who plays Hunter really impressed me, too.

Miles will definitely be missed when he goes off to boarding school.

2. Dayzi says:

Is Eric off the show now please someone give me an answer :(

3. JQ7 says:

I certainly enjoyed the first 9 episodes, but episode 10 really stood out, like any good “finale” should. It’s really seemed like the past couple years the show has been at its best when it’s Hollingsworth-centric (of course with some time given to the better non-Hollingsworth characters too), before that had a lot to do with Miles and probably the best acting performance the show was getting, but now Hunter has just bolstered that, with perhaps an even more complex, interesting character, and an equally outstanding acting performance. Frankie has always been a solid character too, and it is nice to see some more “normal high school” drama as opposed to what’s happening with Hunter, but I’d certainly love to see her brought into the Hunter/Miles story line going forward.

I’m ultimately glad they didn’t turn Hunter into another Rick, he’s become too interesting a character with too good of an actor to effectively end his character. Especially if Miles is leaving, that’s a fairly big void left on the show, but Hunter just might be able to fill it. I guess the question now is do they continue his downward spiral or do they start a redemption arc, I’m honestly not sure what I’d be more interested in seeing.

4. I really hope Miles/Eric stays on the showwwwwwwww! :(( i love his character!!

5. James says:

The King of France never disappoints. Does that mean, Hunter will go to boarding school across the pond? (Spoiler alert: Of course he will. He’ll be on Reign this Friday for the winter finale).

Over-all, Next Class was fairly enjoyable and the finale left me wanting for more.

One thing that I can’t get my head around: Goldi was the one who started this whole mission of shutting down Hunter’s video gamer club so it would have made sense in the story more if she was the target of his cyberbullying. Maya only supported her stance and clearly not the one who does so as the whole feminist org was in on it.

Which brings me to another thing: For the whole first ten episodes, I don’t recall Next Class ever establishing Baaz and Goldi’s relationship as siblings unless I may have missed that part in a past TNG season (which I unfortunately wasn’t able to watch legally).

For long-time fans, has the Hollingsworth house always been such an open venue? I can’t believe after everything that happened to Miles, Esme wasn’t given a restraining order to stay away from him. She even walked inside the house so casually as she tried to grab a piece of bread which made methink the place has been unguarded the whole time.

Unless of course, Miles didn’t report her to Snake which he should have so she would have been suspended because no addict should be near an enabler at all times.

Sorry for the long speech. I just had to let it all out. :D

• Carni says:

Goldi and Baaz just showed up this season, so no, you didn’t miss anything (: I only knew they were siblings from reading about the new characters that were going to be in Next Class before it came out. I guess since the whole focus of this season so far has been on the Hollingsworth family, Baaz and Goldi stayed quite underdeveloped as characters.

• James says:

Thanks. A passing mention would have been nice but it hasn’t happened yet like: “I know you hate my sister to bits, Hunter but why don’t we send our hatred on someone else like say…Maya?”

6. Dan says:

I’m not convinced Miles is leaving. I’m sure he’ll stay. Maybe he’ll stay at Degrassi afterall for his brother’s sake.

7. Serena says:

Can anyone please tell me where I can buy Frankie’s blue statement necklace?? I would really like to buy it!

8. Dominique says:

I’ve been watching DEGRASSI since the very first time it came out (of course when I started watching it, it was reruns) but honestly this DEGRASSI :next class was great. I thought it was gonna a be all new people but I love the fact they kept some of the same cast. I hope they come out with more seasons!!

9. Liz says:

Tori entered the Degrassi Black Hole. It’s a real thing (check the Degrassi Wiki).

10. Alyssa says:

Loved the finale! I just wish that Frankie and Winston were together. I don’t think Jonah is a good match for her. After all that Frankie and Winston have been through it just makes me upset they are no longer together. Plus I wish that they had more episodes in a season. Other than that I really like how the show turned out on Netflix! Can’t wait to watch the next season!

11. Autumn says:

I wish it were like the old episodes. So much more drama, the new episodes are cheesy

12. Degrassi Lover says:

I love this show. It is one of my favourites. And I’m hoping that Tristan and Miles get back together. Triles❤