American Crime Story: Kardashian Kids Get Little Play in FX's O.J. Drama, Exec Producer Ryan Murphy Assures

FX’s American Crime Story: The People v O.J. Simpson is not a prequel to Keeping Up With the Kardashians, exec producer Ryan Murphy assured reporters Saturday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour in Pasadena.

Despite the pivotal role played by the late Robert Kardashian (as portrayed by David Schwimmer) in the O.J. saga, his children — Kim, Khloe, Kourtney and Rob — are not a major focus of the limited series.

“In the 10 episodes, there are over 400 scenes that were written,” Murphy shared. “Of those 400 scenes, only four or five of them involve the Kardashian children. That gives you a grasp on how important we felt they were to the story.”

Added fellow EP Scott Alexander: “We thought it’d be valuable to have them there for a little sprinkling. There were a lot of themes that I wanted to hit in the scripts — the 24-hour news cycle, the beginning of reality TV. [The Kardashians] were emblematic of the beginning of this time, where someone could become famous and no one would understand why they were famous.”

Schwimmer’s preparation for American Crime Story included meeting with Kardashian’s ex, Kris Jenner. “She was incredibly generous with her time and very open about her relationship to Robert,” he shared. “The single greatest thing I got from her was the insight about how religious he was — that he had a very strong personal relationship to God. He prayed every day, several times a day. For me, that really helped inform the character and understand the decisions he was making at the time.”

American Crime Story premieres Feb. 2 on FX.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Brian says:

Glad he says this. Getting too much Kardashian crap was my fear after seeing filming pics of them as younger kids. I wanted to barf after seeing them.

2. Adam says:

But really, why are they in it at all?

• Alice says:

Exactly. I remember following this case pretty religiously and besides Robert Kardashian I didn’t know who the rest of them were or the relevance they had to the case.

• kitsunesaru says:

This could be wrong, but I feel like I remember a story about OJ with a gun in Kim’s room wanting to shoot himself and Robert talked him down or something like that. Doesn’t mean she was in there o course but like someone else replied, showing bits with his family would make sense. At least it’s not much plu before they were “famous”.

• Margaret says:

Alice-I don’t know what their relevance is period!

• johnhelvete says:

Because it would be weird to show Robert Kardashian at home and not at least have his kids in the background. He was not just Simpson’s lawyer, they were friends. According to wikipedia, Simpson stayed at the Kardashian’s house after the murders.

• tsevca says:

He was close to their father, so he was practicly like an uncle to him. Excluding them completely would feel too intentional. Like doing it, because of who are they now. If they were completely unknown people, they would have few scenes there and no one would even discuss it. Even though they weren´t witnesses during the trial, for example, they were part of his life at that time.

3. iHeart says:

god they’d better be showing very little of the Kardashians as possible, I keep telling myself that the 90’s were the best because there wasn’t a single Kardashian show on the air (unless I count the OJ Simpson trial, but only their dad was involved)

4. Joey says:

If there really were 400 scenes written, and Murphy says that the Kardashian kids are mentioned in 4 of them, I will expect to hear them mentioned in 396 scenes.

5. Sil says:

Is Ryan Murphy the EP of this show, or this 1 segment about OJ Simpson only? Would like to know. Thanx in advance.

6. Lynne says:

It would make sense that the kids are in atleast a couple scenes somewhere. With Robert, Kim, Simpson and Nicole all friends *I think Kim and Nicole were best friends*, their kids were friends. I’m sure there will be scenes of all of them together when Simpson and Nicole were still together, those will probably be the few times we see them.