Scream Queens Renewed

Scream Queens Renewed for Season 2 — New Setting, Cast Details Revealed

It’s official: the ladies of Kappa Kappa Tau will return to Fox.

The network on Friday announced a Season 2 renewal for Ryan Murphy’s slasher comedy Scream Queens, putting an end to months of speculation about the ratings-challenged series’ future.

Scream Queens‘ first season ended in December with the long-awaited reveal of Lea Michele’s Hester as the dreaded Red Devil terrorizing Wallace University. As part of the renewal announcement, it was also confirmed that Season 2 will take place in a hospital.

“It’s going to take place in a hospital and explore some of the most interesting medical fascinomas,” says Fox boss Gary Newman. “This is something Ryan Murphy loves and had a lot of fun with on Nip/Tuck, and he, Brad [Falchuk] and Ian [Brennan] are going to infuse that sensibility on Scream Queens. “

“Ryan definitely intends to bring some of the actors from the first installment back,” adds Fox’s Dana Walden. “I believe they will be the same characters.”

Though Scream Queens averaged just 2.8 million weekly viewers and a 1.1 demo rating, Fox notes that only 30 percent of its audience watched live, with 26 percent catching up on DVR and 44 percent viewing via VOD and Hulu.

We’ll keep you updated as more information becomes available, but for now, drop a comment with your thoughts below: Are you happy about the renewal? What would you like to see more (or less) of in Season 2?

1. ChrisGa says:

Very happy about this but beyond shocked; the considerable hype didn’t translate at all to ratings, which were pretty anemic. Guess Fox really wants to be in the Ryan Murphy’s business.

• Belle says:

The live viewer numbers were abysmal, but once they figure in the DVR/VOD/Hulu the numbers are really pretty decent…and it grew as the season progressed too. Glad it’s coming back, such a fun way to remove yourself from reality :)

• JR says:

In retrospect not shocking. It was obvious when Fox stopped “looking” at same day ratings and the show was included in Paleyfest 2016 lineup that Scream Queens would be renewed. Although Fox executives are pitching their decision as forward thinking touting the need to recognize alternative viewing platforms, I think it’s really sign of desperation.

2. Dean says:

Wow what a surprise heard the ratings were bad.

3. Lisa says:

The ratings actually improved quite significantly after dvr playback. Which is how most of the people i know watched the show. Im a big fan of it and thoughr it was a lot of fun. Hopefully they keep it good

4. iakovos says:

SCREAM QUEENS was not my cup of tea. Found it unpleasant overall and abandoned ship. Surprised at the renewal but know series performed well with delayed later-day viewing.

5. James says:

Oh God no. Ryan Murphy needs to stop being so in love with his cast and start thinking about the story first. He said before that season 2 was going to take place in a summer camp, now it’s in a hospital. He said there were only going to 4 survivors from season 1, but we got like 10 at the end of the year. I think his ideas are good, but he is so busy being a fanboy that he forgets why he started a story in the first place. I like Ryan and how he pushes boundaries for network TV, I just don’t like his lack of consistency.

• Troy says:

Totally agree! I thought the whole concept of Scream Queens was going to be like American Horror Story where most of the main actors would return but play different characters and each season would be a different setting. I thought he said in an interview that season 2 was going to take place during summer camp, I even read that the website Scream Queens Summer Camp was even bought by FOX. Now he’s saying season two will take place in a hospital and that many actors will return but playing the same character they did in season one?? Get with it Ryan Murphy and make up your mind as to what you want to do! I thought Scream Queens was ok and I’ll stick with it for season two but I hope they bring back Lea Michele, Emma Roberts, and Jamie Lee.

• Chrisie says:

Lea is a given. She was told by Ryan she’d be back. I’m guessing so will Jamie and Emma since they will be at Paley fest representing the show.

• Martim says:

Ryan Murphy never said anything about a summer camp, who talked about it was Oliver Hudson.

• 'A' Is Alive says:

No, he said the survivors would move on to the next season. Meaning, same characters.

• From before the first season premiered he’s always said that the cast members who survived season 1 would be be able to return as the same characters.

• Ray says:

You cannot give credence to a word Ryan Murphy says to the press. Many details will likely change from this interview to the final product. Who knows…season two many not even take place in a hospital.

• Matt says:

I agree. He lacks consistency in character development and story telling. He comes up with these great ideas for shows, and then has no idea how to execute them. I think the problem is that he gets to caught up in trying to make the show hip and cool to try and earn ratings. Meanwhile, if he had a (somewhat) logical and consistent story, the ratings would follow naturally. There’s a reason why Glee started being the butt of everyone’s jokes after Season 3.

TL;DR – Just like Glee, Ryan Murphy stopped making plausible plot choices and started chasing viewership, ironically driving it away in the process.

• Jono babic says:

What the heck is TL;DR?

• DoctorWhoFanatic says:

TL;DR is a reddit acronym meaning “Too Long; Don’t Read” (it’s sometimes used as “to make a long story short” or “here’s the quick version of the long stuff I just typed”)

• He can execute them for two seasons. Nip/Tuck, during the first two seasons, was mesmerizing. Glee and American Horror Story were also excellent for the freshman and sophomore runs. I’ve made it a rule to drop any RM show after 24 months.

Scream Queens was just a fail, in my opinion.

• Lucifer says:

One of the reasons why it’s not going to be at a summer camp is likely due to Freeform planning a summer camp slasher series to debut this summer.

• Temperance says:

Wow, there’s a lot of pointless armchair quarterbacking going on there…

6. Mak says:

It’s def thanks to the delayed viewing number…incredible news!

7. Jen says:

yay so happy that this got a season 2 and in a hospital ooh makes it more creepy yes!

8. Olivia says:

Murphy… Hospitals/asylums, religion and youth. He is incapable of anything else.

9. Annie says:

Ug, why.

• joeyconnick says:

Exactly… thank you for expressing my sentiments so succinctly! :)

I’m a fan of Ryan Murphy–or at least I used to be. But this was absolute dreck and just… ugh… it kills me that a garbage show like this would get renewed while actual quality shows continue to get cancelled.

• Bruce Wayne says:

Those very same two words Screamed within my head at this unbelievable news. ‘Disjointed’ and ‘Ridiculous’ filled it during the entire first season.
      ^^X^^

10. Phun says:

Even though it wasn’t great in the ratings, I think it was heavily VODed and I believe, that, along with live streaming from their network streaming sites is also factored in whether a show is canceled or renewed. If you watch a promo for a show, you now hear “Watch on VOD or live stream it at blah blah dot com” since you can’t fast forward the ads and that is where the networks get their revenue. Great for the viewers of Scream Queens.

11. alistaircrane says:

I didn’t really like any of the characters who survived, so….as long as it keeps Emma Roberts OFF American Horror Story, I’m happy!!!

12. I’m waiting to hear about the fate of Sleepy Hollow.

13. Brigid says:

I have to say that I am surprised at the renewal. I actually liked the show up until the worst season finale I ever witnessed. Now I just want those 12 hours of my life back. Ryan Murphy has become the worse writer/producer on TV, he starts out big and ends it all so badly. I won’t tune in for this next installment.

14. Nicole says:

If Special Agent Denise Hemphill and her estranged love Chad Radwell are involved, count me in.

15. tallsy says:

Nahhh. This was boring nonsense towards the end particularly because everyone significant lived, and I have no interest in a hospital story.

16. SO says:

Never watched it. From some comments, didn’t miss much

17. Taylor C says:

Yay! So excited 😝👹👍💕 I hope Chanel comes back for season 2 !

18. LilAngel says:

so happy! As long as Lea Michele stars in it, I will watch it

19. Geek24 says:

I enjoyed the first season, so this is awesome news!

20. fox must of not liked his summer camp idea

21. Dennis says:

Please bring back Chad Radwell!!!!!

22. Eran says:

My thoughts go out to whatever promising pilots don’t make it to air because this pile of shi…zles just got a second season.

23. nickspace says:

The show has a great social media presence, even if it doesn’t translate to an increase in viewership. Clearly FOX trusts Ryan, although it may cost them Scream Queens crashing and burning the same way Glee did – not knowing when to end the story. I’ll tune in just to see how they bring the characters back; hopefully that includes Emma Roberts and Jamie Lee Curtis.

24. Kattsszz says:

I think the reason they didn’t keep the summer camp idea was because ABC Family is havingn the writers of Once Upon a Time write a horror summer camp show of their own.

25. Phillip says:

This is seriously THE BEST FREAKING NEWS I’ve heard in forever.

26. mstarkey says:

it’s nice to see the networks finely starting to get that not every one watches the shows when there live . i have saying this for year just think how many show would have been saved if all the networks did this kind of math .

27. priss says:

Don’t like the medical settings. Any confirmation that sarah Michelle Gellar will be joining this season?

28. brandydanforth81 says:

I enjoyed s1.Im hoping Lea,Emma& Jamie Lee return.Not liking the hospital theme/setting though.

29. von says:

Why a hospital

30. patty wis says:

Loved this show. Very funny and creative. So glad it’s coming back. Hope all the cast come back to.

31. Eric says:

As others have said, the ratings were pretty terrible. But I’m beyond excited that it’ll be coming back, I thought it was very funny and never less than entertaining. Surprised to hear that returning actors will likely be playing the same characters, given that it was called an anthology series, I expected it to be a more comedic American Horror Story.

32. frank says:

if you dont like the show why are you wasting yours & everyone else’s time looking it up & being rude lol

33. Boiler says:

OK, I read earlier that Bones renewal is shaky. Then I read that Scream Queens renewed. On numbers only this is about the most stupid thing FOX has done this year and only 2 weeks. Also if anything like Glee this goes down hill quickly. Does anyone bother asking these people what they are thinking??????????????

34. susu says:

when is season 2 coming out and is channel #2/ Ariana grande coming back.

35. Tom says:

So a horror, set in a hospital, and more Lea Michelle? No. Just no.

36. peterwdawson says:

Hopefully season 2 is a bit more even.

37. JO says:

I am so happy they renewed this show. I found it hilarious and entertaining. I particularly liked the casting of Emma Roberts, Diego Boneta, and Glen Powell.

38. Lisa Price says:

think it would be better with new characters. those are so done

39. So…first season took place in a “murder (sorority) house.” Second season is in a hospital. If there’s a third season, will that be when it’s revealed that all the characters are witches?

40. kmw says:

Not surprised but really stupid I guess ratings really don’t matter anymore

41. Ashley says:

Is Skyler Samuels coming back as Grace in Season 2??

42. Tiffany says:

Never watched it live but had 2 days off and I watched all of them in the last 48 hours! I was hooked. I literally just finished the last one on demand like 20 minutes ago and looked up in hopes of them making a second season and am super siked that they are!

Now back to waiting for Gotham to start again next month… Ugh.

43. raymond says:

When does the new scream queens come out

44. Victoria says:

I love scream queens must bring back we want more!!! 👹👺

45. Natasha says:

I LOVE THIS SHOW. AND LOOK FORWARD TO MANY MORE SEASON TO COME.. And you guys got it wrong. If you remember correctly the young girl in the end had something to do with it along with Piper.

46. Patty says:

I’m an AHS fan and avid watcher so watching this series I find it just a little on the “cheesy” side. I guess and hope for the new season to make things a little less cheesy and somewhat more of a true horror and less of the “comedy” if you watch AHS you’ll agree with me ;-)

47. kay says:

Yaaaaaasssss . scream queens is life . living for it

48. Billie Lourde and Skyler Samuels and Emma Robets should definitely be in it.

49. Connor says:

Why hospital??

• Cat says:

Because in the season 1 finale, Chanel was sent to a mental hospital after being falsely accused by Hester. Chanel 5 and 3 were sent with her as well.