Oscars 2016: TV's Bryan Cranston and Brie Larson Score Nods

The big screen will take over the small screen for one evening only when the 88th Academy Awards air Feb. 28 on ABC.

And based on Thursday’s announcement of Oscar nominees, it’s clear that a handful of TV’s MVPs will infiltrate cinema’s biggest night, hosted by Chris Rock.

Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad), Brie Larson (The United States of Tara), Rachel McAdams (True Detective), Mark Rylance (Wolf Hall), Tom Hardy (Peaky Blinders, the upcoming Taboo), Jennifer Jason Leigh (Revenge, Showtime’s upcoming Twin Peaks revival) and Eddie Redmayne (The Pillars of the Earth) will compete for statuettes at this year’s ceremony, as will Spotlight director Tom McCarthy, who previously starred on The Wire and Boston Public.

In the screenplay categories, Josh Singer (Fringe, Lie to Me) picked up a nod for Spotlight and Drew Goddard (Marvel’s Daredevil, Lost) was nominated for The Martian, while erstwhile SNL scribe Adam McKay scored writing and directing nods for The Big Short.

Meanwhile, American Horror Story: Hotel star Lady Gaga landed a nomination in the Best Original Song race for “Til It Happens to You” (from The Hunting Ground).

Here’s the full list of nominees in major categories. (Get your party ballots ready now — and be sure to watch along with TVLine on Oscar Night!)

Best Picture

The Big Short
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Revenant
Spotlight
Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Foreign Language Film
Embrace of the Serpent (Colombia)
Mustang (France)

Bridge Of Spies
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Martian
The Revenant
Star Wars: The Force Awakens

1. Marco says:

I hope MM:FR wins one of the awards it was nominated for…

2. guest says:

Carol was snubbed big time…it deserved to nominated for best director and best picture

3. Tim says:

I liked how you tied the TV credits back to the actors. I’m very excited about Jennifer Jason Leigh, about times she gets some recognition.

4. Nicole says:

Too bad steve carrell didn’t get nominated!!

5. Two years in a row Michael Keaton gets robed. Last year losing to Eddie and this year not even getting nominated for Spotlight

6. Mik says:

I’m OK with these nominations (although sad Carol and Idris Elba got snubbed). I’m going to predict a Spotlight – DiCaprio – Larson – Vikander – Stallone combo for Feb. 28.

• luke says:

I think Idris Elba missed out this year because the movie is a Netflix release. Am I wrong? You don’t get nominated if it’s not a theater release!?! Someone correct me…

7. MiaB says:

Wow, you don’t get much whiter than this. I’ll pass.

• Ellie says:

As a fan of film, I think these were the actual best picks this year. Yes, it so happens that all the best performances this year did not include black actors or minority actors. The point of this show is awarding the absolute best, and that’s what they did.

If there is an issue with diversity, it’s that there isn’t enough films with minority actors. Meaning, the overall chances of minority actors being nominated are less, because they simply have less overall performances to compete. This is an industry problem, not an awards show problem. I’ve seen every major film this year, and think they picked the best. I would pick any of these over any minority performance this year.

Hollywood is as liberal as it gets, and they would love more then anything to artificially create diversity by giving out awards the way you are suggesting. But it seems for now, the oscars still try to go for the best of their art, rather than try to make it diverse for the sake of being diverse.

If I was a black actor or minority, I wouldn’t want a nomination if other performances were better. I would only want to be nominated if my performance was better than others. I would only want to win, if my performance was the actual best.

Minority actors take their profession seriously. They take their art seriously. They want to be treated seriously. Forcing Hollywood to start setting aside X nominations for minorities, even if thy weren’t the best performance, is insulting to the minority actor.

8. star says:

And of course people of color are not good enough to be nominated. Straight outta Compton, beasts of no nation (idris elba, Abraham attah) micheal b Jordan all deserved nominations, but once again they have been snubbed. Makes you feel like our work will never be respected enough.

• Ellie says:

Just a matter of opinion, but I don’t think Straight Outta Compton was anywhere close to the best performances this year. All the nominations gave better performances. Straight Outta Compton was one of my favorite and most enjoyable films this year. But on an artistic level, it was not as good as the other nominees.

• Z says:

Of those, Elba is the only one I think might have deserved a nomination.. I’d personally have picked him over Ruffalo…. but the others no… Will Smith possibly over Fassbender too..

• tvjunkie says:

I have to LOL at such incredibly racist comments like yours. Why is it that black people think they are so more more entitled than other minorities? Where’s the outrage at the lack of Latino, Asian, Muslim, etc nominees in many of the categories? Oh I forgot they don’t matter because they’re not black. Get over yourself, you’re not more important than other minorities.

9. Tom says:

I have a feeling DiCaprio will win best actor this year, even though he has had many greater roles more deserving over the years. It’s all political.

• Right now, he deserves a Oscar more for all his great roles for the past five or six years in a row..It’s the right time! Leo totally deserves to win!

• The Beach says:

The Academy has a habit of doing this. I remember when Elizabeth Taylor was passed over 3 or 4 years in a row for a very deserving win and then won for Butterfield 8 which she hated and was definitely not her best performance.

• Tom says:

Yes, I agree. I’m getting at the same point. He had a lot of roles that he should have won for.

• Leo was never greater than his role in Gilbert Grape. Shoulda won that year. And yes, the Academy is renown for awarding “Catch Up” Awards to those passed over for better performances than the ones that they win for. It IS all a joke, but I watch like a crack addict every year, making my predictions on “who will win” and “who should win”…rarely do the two lists agree.

10. Yoko says:

Once again people of color get shafted.

• tvjunkie says:

Once again someone like posts a racist comment thinking black people are more important than all other minorities.

• B says:

Yoko said “people of color” genius. That would include asians, latinos, native americans, not just blacks.

• tvjunkie says:

No it doesn’t. People of color is used to refer to blacks. At least in virtually every reference I’ve ever seen that is the context. I mean white is a color so if it was meant to be all inclusive then it would mean everyone.

• annie says:

dude seriously? “People of colour” refers to any person or group of people who are not white. It’s a term recognized by like everyone and across all political lines. If you want to discuss race, at least use the language right. Arguing this phrase just shows you dont know what you’re talking about and no one is going to listen to anything else you say.

• Lulu says:

White is not a color, it is the absence of color. Did you not pay attention in art class?

• tvjunkie says:

nope you’re wrong. people of color refers to only black people in the vast majority of cases it is used. and actually it’s a rather racist sounding phrase

• Yoko says:

Thank you!

• MiaB says:

Thanks for the Trump fan point of view, bud.

• Mak says:

The post says PEOPLE OF COLOR!.where does it mention black…racist much!!!

• tvjunkie says:

yes you are racist. people of color refers to black people at least in the vast majority of cases it’s used. and actually the phrase is nearly as racist sounding as the N word

11. Walkie says:

Carol and The Force Awakens got hosed. Both should have been up for Best Picture.

12. wrstlgirl says:

Hoping Leo finally gets his Oscar but as usual the competition is fierce.

13. Nas says:

R u kidding me? Mad Max in Best Picture…LOL

Yeah, not bad by the way, but why Best Picture??? I think, its to much.

14. Riana says:

You forgot to mention Jennifer Lawrence was on the Bill Engvall show.

15. tahina says:

Hoping Leonardo gets this time, glad for Cate and Rooney for Carol, but agree, Brie should win it for Room.

16. They changed the Best Picture to award up to 10, and this year they leave off: Inside Out, Star Wars, Carol, (and I would throw in Creed)… wtf?

Where was Michael Jordan for Creed in Best Actor. Elizabeth Banks in Best Actress in Love & Mercy Best Actor Idris Elba in Beasts Will Smith in Concussion – he gave that movie heart! (And my fan girl heart was asking for too much for harrison Ford in Star Wars

17. Beckers0505 says:

I’m confused as to how Mad Max can be nominated for best movie but absolutely no acting awards?!?

18. lll says:

I knew “Earned It” by the Weekend would get nominated for best original song. However, “See You Again” by Charlie Puth and Wiz Khalifa being snubbed by the Oscars is a damn shame. That touching tribute song deserved a nomination too.

19. Dann says:

“Regina George” is nominated for Best Supporting Actress. That’s so fetch!

20. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Kind of surprised that Star Wars wasn’t nominated for Best Movie, It MADE a TON OF MONEY!!

21. Bonesfan47 says:

I love that Brie Larson and Room is nominated but they forget to nominate Jacob Tremblay he was incredible in that movie and definitely deserves it. I know he is really young as he is only 9 years old but he was so good between him and Brie Larson I was crying so much watching that movie.

22. I think Leo will finally win his Oscar!! About time!! I liked the noms, but i think Carol shoub be in Best Picture and Todd for best director, the movie was sublime!

23. Lulu says:

#OscarsSoWhite

24. Morisot says:

I can’t remember ANY year when there HASN’T been controversy over the nominations ! EVERY YEAR great films, performances, directors, songs are overlooked ! Cary Grant never won an Oscar ! Quit whining.

25. Omarr says: