Caitlyn Jenner Transparent

Caitlyn Jenner Reacts to Ricky Gervais' Golden Globes Diss, Defends Controversial Republican Leanings

Caitlyn Jenner is looking to put Ricky Gervais out of a job.

Asked to comment on the dig Gervais aimed at her while hosting Sunday’s Golden Globe Awards, the I Am Cait star told reporters Thursday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour, “I think what I’m going to do is call the Golden Globes and see if they need a new host for next year. We’ll solve that problem.”

This was Gervais’ joke, ICYMI: “I’ve changed. Not as much as Bruce Jenner, obviously. Now Caitlyn Jenner, of course. What a year she’s had. She became a role model for trans people everywhere, showing great bravery in breaking down barriers and destroying stereotypes. She didn’t do a lot for women drivers, but you can’t have everything, can ya?”

Also at TCA, Jenner was grilled about her controversial political leanings. “I admit that the Republicans haven’t been great on [LGBT issues],” she conceded. “Certainly, the Democrats have been better on this. But isn’t it good that [the Republicans] have an ally who can go in there and change their minds? We have our fingers crossed that we can win them over.”

Season 2 of I Am Cait premieres Sunday, March 6, at 9/8c. Watch a trailer below:

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

1. NP says:

Sorry, it was funny – she needs to lighten up

2. wrstlgirl says:

Ummm, can’t take a joke ?!?!

3. Jackie says:

I don’t see how you can dismiss satire about yourself but accept a political party that wants to pass legislation making you a second class citizen.

• Mark says:

I guess she cares about her taxes more than she cares about LGBT issues.

• mary m says:

You could see on I am Cait that she wasn’t really listening to the trans women who told her about their struggle to get access to health care or jobs or even just not be treated as 3rd class citizens.

He claimed to want to champion for these transactional women and yet would support a party that would deny them rights and take away Obama care.

Absolute rubbish to claim to want to change the GOP from the inside. The whole premise of a 2 party system is differing ideals.

The trans women that protested over the summer were completely right Cait has no business representing them as a group as she has tried to do.

As a cis woman I am so glad that no one is looking for a kardashian to advocate for my rights

4. Mark says:

A glowing compliment followed by a hacky, mild joke? What’s to be offended about?

• JosiahBartlet4President says:

I know. I’m not a fan of Gervais, but all he did was point out the fact that Jenner got off scott free for causing someone’s death.

5. Guy says:

Am I the only one who read her response as a joke too? I’m not understanding all these “Can’t take a joke?” comments. LOL

6. Mark says:

Did anyone every ask Bruce how it felt to be made fun of for last 10 years? Nope…it took transitioning into a woman for people to care about her feelings. Sad…and the joke was funny…people need to chill

7. The only issue I have with the joke is that someone died in that car crash. Aside from that, yeah, it was funny.

8. colig says:

the hell with that creature. That thing is just a pathetic attention whore who was being upstaged by a family of really pathetic attention whores and had to find a way to change that and cash in.

9. tahina says:

Bet she has heard worse. Like she didn’t know better what was coming..and what Ricky said was very true. Grow some balls!

10. Mari says:

I actually took it as a dig more than a joke.
    Of course it would have been absolutely tasteless and transphobic for Richy to comment on her transitiong – I am all for being true to your self, so I am ok with Caitlyn.
    What am I not okay with is how a dead person has been swept under the rug because Caitlyn is a trans woman.
    She did kill someone, but most outlets have not written much about it why? Because it would have been seen as an attack on a trans person? I don’t know.
    And you can take Ricky’s joke as sexist or whatever, but he did one good thing with it: it reminded Hollywood that she killed someone and she was not really held accountable for it – (she settled or whatever, but I’m sure if she was still Bruce she would have been crucified by tthe media and also have a heavier sentence).
    So yeah, Caitlyn it would be better for you to not comment at all on the matter.

11. Steve Ungrey says:

Controversial political leanings. Yeah, just because she’s a Republican. TVLine, you’re better than this.

• Well, to be fair, in the LGBT community being Republican IS controversial. I’m not saying that it is in the general population, but thanks to the Republican party’s own actions, it is rare to see LGBT Republicans.

• ninamags says:

Yeah, well, considering a couple of the frontrunners in that repugnant party attended a hoot-nanny, or whatever, where one of the speakers is advocating for the killing of all gays, I would say that’s controversial.

Besides, who the hell invited him there? I thought this was for the top industry people and the press.

• BarryFlash says:

No, they are not! This is a far left website with members of that repugnant Democratic Party. I am fine reading entertainment news but when it goes political, it gets nasty.

• Mary says:

The solution to that is skip articles that you think are political since it is obvious you do not like to hear the other side opinions.

12. Pete says:

this is tv news? this seems like post more for TMZ or Perez than TVLine

13. Joe says:

The jokes were edgy, but funny. Where did everyone’s sense of humor go?

14. Will says:

Oh waaa…get over it. It’s called satire.

15. Kim says:

As person sitting and watching in the comfort of my home, it was a mild yet funny joke. However a person died in what was tragic car accident and imagine the people who loved this woman would not find the joke that funny. It has only been around a year, I imagine it is still painful for them. As for Caitlyn there are so many things he could have made a joke about, the accident that you caused that took a life is a little rough. Say what you want about Caitlyn, well Bruce when the accident happened, but I doubt he/she wanted to be responsible for a persons death.

16. Bella says:

Apparently, you’re only allowed to ascribe lock-step to the exact same beliefs about every single issue as everyone else in whatever particular category people want to shove you into. God forbid you should actually have an independent thought.

17. Belle says:

OMGosh, really? Get over it Cait…it was a funny joke and I’m sick of everyone having to be so PC the last 3-5 years!!!! Last time I checked Obama hasn’t gotten rid of Free Speech, although I’m sure he’d like to :) Ricky you Rock!!!!

18. I will cut Caitlyn some slack, she seems to be a work in progress in finding her new personality and life. She seems to be getting more and more relaxed,I bet 5 years from now she will be with a band who happens to be a Latino farmer and will be growing medicinal Marijuana crops together and she will be registered independent voter.

19. Katya says:

Ya girl u call the globes and tell ’em!

20. Preacher Book says:

I think Gervais has been trying to get out of the gig for years. Tell Cait learn to take a joke.

21. Sarah in Baltimore says:

Sickening freak show is just pretending anyway, tryina make money on that stupid show of his. Ain’t nobody care and ain’t nobody watch it anyway. Any REAL trannies out there ought to be disgusted by this man.