Second Chance Moved Friday

Second Chance: Will You Give One to Fox's Frankenstein Drama?

If you’ve been even slightly attuned to pop culture in the last several decades, you’re familiar with the basic concept of Frankenstein.

From The Rocky Horror Picture Show to Penny Dreadful to countless other movies and TV shows, Mary Shelley’s classic tale — much like the titular doctor’s monster — has had its fair share of resurrections.

Fox on Wednesday night added to the pile of adaptations with Second Chance, a drama starring Rob Kazinsky (EastEnders), Tim DeKay (White Collar) and Dilshad Vadsaria (Greek). Before we get your thoughts on the series premiere, a brief recap:

In this modern-day update, the mad doctors are Mary Goodwin (played by Vadsaria) and her brother, Otto (Adhir Kalyan, Rules of Engagement). With the help of her bioengineer twin bro, Mary leads the social media company Lookinglass — but the more pressing matter is her health. She’s battling an aggressive form of cancer, and the only viable treatment — since chemo no longer works — is a transfusion of white blood cells that can cure her.

Second Chance FoxIt seems Mary and Otto have been looking for “the one” for quite some time — the right person whose blood cells they can re-engineer to stop Mary’s cancer. That’s why their interest is piqued by the death of Jimmy Pritchard, the neighborhood’s former sheriff. A big fan of drinking and smoking (and hiring prostitutes for a weekly standing appointment — uh, pun not intended), Jimmy was embroiled in a corruption scandal at the sheriff’s office back in the day. Now, it’s his son Duval (played by DeKay), who’s picked up the law-enforcement mantle.

For reasons that will ideally come to light in future episodes, Duval’s own partner has it out for Jimmy, leading him and another sheriff’s officer to murder Jimmy in the middle of the night. (They toss him over the side of a bridge, but it’s staged as a suicide.) When Mary and Otto get wind of Jimmy’s death, Otto decides to take the leap and re-engineer the man’s white blood cells, thus bringing him back to life as a completely new (young, fit, hot) man, whose blood can ideally slow Mary’s sickness.

Over the course of the next 40 minutes, Jimmy 2.0 (Kazinsky) attempts to wrap his mind around this new lease on life, embracing both the good (energetic sex!) and the bad (at the end of each day, he must climb back into a life-preserving tank that allows his proverbial batteries to recharge). All the while, Jimmy remains hell-bent on exposing the men who were really responsible for his death — an endeavor that forces him to cross paths with his own son and daughter, who seem to believe that Jimmy is a long-lost half-brother who resulted from one of their dad’s extramarital affairs. (Still with me? I realize we’re getting into head-spinny territory.)

When all is said and done, Jimmy is able to expose at least a fraction of the corruption afoot, though it seems clear that his work isn’t quite done. On the bright side: It seems like Jimmy and Mary will be hooking up within five episodes, if not sooner. So, there’s that!

OK, your turn. Will you give Second Chance a second… well, you know? Grade the series premiere in our poll below, then hit the comments to back up your choice!

1. Bryan says:

I dont get the sense of the weirdo brother. That’s the only thing that’s bugging me with this show.

2. SUSO says:

Unwatchable. Free the talented cast!

3. shaun says:

Who’s voting in this?Someone dared watch it?

4. For a pilot, where they have to introduce us to the characters AND establish a plot line, I thought it was a good beginning. What they do from here will make or break the show, but based on the 1st episode, I am “in” to watching at least a few more to see how it develops.

5. Emilio M says:

Excellent SiFi series, with an excellent cast and good acting. The story line kept me glued.

6. JGreene says:

Hoping they continue to delve deeper into personalities so that the focus is multi-dimensional and not just repeating the usual violence and expected sex. Has possibilities.Will give it a chance.

7. James D says:

That was a lot better than I thought it would be. I’m looking forward to seeing how it plays out during the course of a season. the pilot was very tight. I’d wish we didn’t have to have another “genius” character with a social disorder. it is beyond trite and is completely unnecessary other than that I enjoyed all the characters.

8. Mr. Tran K says:

Second Chance is like a rip-off of that short lived series on CBS called Now & Again which starred Eric Close and Dennis Haysbert (before he played David Palmer on 24). Not really sold on the series at all and I don’t know how the rest of the series are going to hold up.

9. Lena A says:

hell of a lot better than the kardashians, etc.

10. Dr. M says:

I honestly don’t understand the TVLine review. The first episode was really strong. Interesting characters, Bionic Man premise, and some really fun moments.

11. AB says:

what kind of cancer and chemo makes you look as hot as the sister? I can buy the regeneration of the dead guy but not that.

12. Jillette Razer says:

I would have zero interest in this terrible looking show, but Robert Kazinsky is too effing sexy, even with a fake accent.

13. Michael Sr. says:

I believe I will continue to watch this instead of Law & Order on NBC.

14. Temperance says:

I love Rob, and he does a good job here (oy, hunk!) but I kinda hate Jimmy as a character (and that’s not good, as he’s the solo lead). I’m not sure I’ll watch any more of this one.

15. Olivia says:

I haven’t watched it yet but the premise sounds interesting and with Vanessa Lengies in it it’s definitely moving up the queue.

16. Jared says:

I actually liked Second Chance way more than I expected too. I’ll definitely keep watching.

17. Vi says:

After reading the TV line review, I wasn’t too sure about watching the show. But I want ahead and watched it this morning. For the first episode, yes they had some things that they need to work on. But all in all I thought the first episode was good and will continue to watch. People are always complaining about watching the same show over and over and over. They want something new, but possibly after reading reviews they won’t watch the shows. I think regardless of any reviews they read, people should check out the shows. Everyone’s taste is different and by not watching because one reviewer didn’t like it is not fair to the show, the actors, or anyone else involved in the show.

18. Nas says:

Just love this show..

19. gottilinks says:

I like it I will give it a chance

20. My question is this–is the resurrected version the same body? As in, is this what he looked like as a young man? If so, then his son and daughter are pretty stupid. I realize I don’t expect my 30 something dad to walk in a door, but if he did, I would recognize my father instantly.

• JFrizz says:

The same thing crossed my mind, but when you think about it, why in your right mind would you automatically assume it was your father… I would assume the same thing his son did, that it might be a brother you never knew about. People that look basically identical to their parent happen all the time, and in an ordinary world you would never think “it’s my father somehow young again!” – that’s silly.

• prish says:

I saw a picture in an old album and asked my old grandmother who that fantastic handsome man was, and her answer, “That’s your grandfather.” literally blew my mind. That’s real life.

• Michele says:

It’s him as a 30 something, if he had lived a perfect life …eating right, exercising, not drinking, etc. So he looks enough like himself that when he tries to pass himself off as a long lost relative … it’s not too shocking to his son.

• prish says:

Well, the concept is patching things together to make a body (i.e. “the book”), so it could look different enough to be a brother-type possibility to his son.

21. Patrick says:

Maybe I’m not the typical demographic, at least for this forum: married professional, age 51, father of three, churchgoer, habitual GOP voter, never seen this website before. I watch very little broadcast television but I recently saw a commercial for this show. My curiosity was peaked so I set it to record on my DVR and forgot about it until it appeared on my view list last night. I was blown away, enthralled and completely entertained. I assume, like anything else good on TV, that the freaks will pan it because it’s not about cutting edge social problems. If I’m Joe Average Viewer listen up: We’re sick of the cutting edge social problems sh-t. This is great entertainment. I’m only sorry it was only an hour show and that I’ll have to wait to see the second episode. Count me down as a YES!!!

22. Kulagal says:

I loved it, now this is where it starts from I’d like to see where it goes from here before I can comment on it. Awesome?

23. TVg says:

remind me the 1999 series “now and again” its the same , i guees it will also have the same fate as it had

24. Lynne says:

I was not expecting to like it but I did. I will watch it as long as the network runs it :0)

25. kristie says:

This show was great. Everyone in my blended family thought the show was more creative than the top shows that are so uninteresting. The actors were good. concept unusual and visually pleasing..diverse, and weird tech/science focus. WIth family and friends with cancer I hope one day cancer can be cured with new tech.

26. Barb says:

Fox is the least channel i watch,
    B/c they r so strict & cancel everything!
    They put this in a bad slot;
    Its up against several other establish season shows!
    C Minds & Supernatural;season 11
    I was glad 2 c the encore on Sat;
    When nothing on;
    so i could watch it!
    But after a week or so;
    They usually quit!
    Then they cancel it;
    B/c not enough viewers!

27. Barb says:

Oh BTW;
    I like the title they finally chose 4 the show!
    It makes perfect sense!

28. prish says:

Second Chance is cute, fun and has heart. Fast moving with a great cast, so I’m on board, giving it an A.

29. Cheryl says:

It was a pleasant surprise. I didn’t expect it to make sense and be original, but it was.

30. Cindi Greenfield says:

I appreciate the creative “genetic research” possibilities and high tech elements of the show. The Bionic Man has already been done; Second Chance gives us a modern retelling of the possibilities inherent in resurrection. The hero is a the quintessential anti-hero — a not so perfect man who, with all his flaws, bumps against the edges of acceptability. All in all, he’s an approachable man who is maneuvering his way through an unimaginable situation. I hope they…the TV GOds…give the show a chance to develop. Let’s see where it goes from here.

31. Kati says:

I introduced Second Chance to my family. They love it, and hope Fox keeps it going.

32. Belinda says:

This is one show that got better as the season progressed. I really hope Fox will allow this well written drama to continue another yea.

33. Micki says:

Great show and i believe with all the other crap on TV that is being passed off as believable and reality tv, a bit of sci-fi, use your imagination is a welcome relief but it doesn’t sell like scripted, sex filled, butt naked tv. Personally, with so much real life, I only turn on my TV to escape. I guess if they continue to cancel shows I’ll continue to expandy library. I feel for the actors in the hands of these wishy-washy execs.

34. Judy mcmahan says:

Found show intriguing. Better with every episode. Want to see more.