Chicago Spinoff Chicago Law

NBC Eyeing Chicago P.D. Spinoff Titled — Wait for It — Chicago Law

On the heels of a Chicago P.D. episode that introduced an Assistant State’s Attorney (played by Revolution‘s Maureen Sebastian), NBC is eyeing a third spinoff of the Windy City franchise: Chicago Law.

Executives at the Peacock network have had early conversations with executive producer Dick Wolf about an offshot set in the legal world, our sister site Variety reports.

“We could plant the seeds for some characters [on] P.D.,” NBC Entertainment president Jennifer Salke told the site.

However, there is no script or writer attached to the project, which is only in the conceptual stage at this time.

Given the success of the recent three-show crossover between Fire, P.D. and Med, “It would be short-sighted…not to be, mutually, kicking the tires on what that [next spinoff] would be,” Wolf said Wednesday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour in Pasadena, confirming that the potential new series “would probably be in the legal system.”

“My instinct is always to double down, but there are many masters to serve, as always,” Wolf continued. “Would I like to do it? Of course.”

TVLine recently pitched a similar title, Chicago Legal, in our list of 10 Chicago Spinoff Ideas.

1. Cool. Sounds like the most logical choice to me.

2. Steven says:

Knew it was coming. Love the Chicago shows and a good Legal show so I’m all in.

3. Wordsmith says:

Yeah, this is maybe the least shocking news ever.
    It was always going to come eventually, but once they introduced that ADA character in the crossover, it was only a matter of time.

4. JC says:

Ugh, enough.

• Emmy says:

Really enough of it already!

• Jake says:

I agree, I like Chicago Fire. However, enough with the damn crossover episodes, they are a just a ploy to get you to watch the other shows. There does not need to be another spin off.

• Jake says:

If they want to use the ADA, just put her on Chicago P.D.

• JC says:

The crossover episodes aren’t even that good. Fires quality has gone down a lot the last few years. Med is ok. PD is the only one I still enjoy.

• Ray says:

I like the character crossovers but it doesn’t always have to be a multiple show event. Although it has helped Chicago PD. Last week was to me its second best episode ever behind the Nadia kidnapping episode. Both episodes were crossovers.

• Will Sanborn says:

Why? Dick Wolf’s shows almost always perform well for NBC. He’s a reliable showrunner and NBC needs to invest in consistency more than new shows that ‘flop’ or do less than spectacular. It’s that or they create another carbon copy of The Blacklist.

5. JJ says:

I laughed out so loud when I first saw this article. Just what we all think! a THIRD chicago series named LAW

6. Chuck says:

Funny or Die had a spoof–Chicago Sanitation. They might have it right.

7. Susan says:

That would be awesome to the Chicago Lineup!!!

8. Staci says:

I love all of the Chicago shows. I think they need to concentrate on those ones right now. Especially PD, storylines have been lacking this season

9. Ray says:

Shocking…said no one ever.

10. Walter Freeman says:

NATIONAL BROADCASTING COMPANY? More like NOTHING BUT CHICAGO! Watch out Jimmy Fallon! They’re gonna make you move too!

11. Marge says:

ChicagoLaw? Hey, why not hire Harry Hamlin, Jimmy Smitts, and Blair Underwood for roles! Is Susan Dey available?

LOL

;-)

12. Mary says:

well maybe is time that Dick Wolf and company cast Bethany Joy Lenz on this. look like they like the cw actors hahaha

13. Rachel says:

I gotta say eventually it’s going to get old, as much as I like the Chicago series I thinks it ‘s just getting to be too much.

14. Ryan says:

Chicago: Law and Order: Chicago

15. Sally McLinn says:

Sounds good to me. I’m on board for it. Especially since I live in Chicago. Lots of good law stories here.

16. VJ says:

Okay, now it’s time to say: enough. I like the Chicago shows very much, but at some point it’s to much.

17. Drew says:

I don’t actually watch the Chicago shows. Do they delve into the real Chicago atmosphere? Because a show about Chicago legal issues could focus a lot on corruption. Which leads to Chicago Politics… which is really just a revival of The Chicago Code, and I’d be cool with that.

• Eric says:

Not really although they do sometimes touch on corruption within the FD and PD that are known to happen within an government agency.

18. Julia says:

This is just like the L&O and CSI spinoffs, so I’m not surprised. NBC needs another solid show so this is an easy choice. If it truly functions independently (outside of crossover shows), I have no problem with it.

19. MalTru says:

I think they should just combine Chicago PD and Chicago Law into a single show- have the detectives investigate the crime for the first half of the episode, then have the lawyers prosecute it during the second half. Also, I think it should be set in New York instead of Chicago.

• Spignejr says:

You know a show that balances the police work and the legal battles MAY just work! I can see it going for 20 years or so! And I love the idea of putting it in New York! You know there must be a lot of material for legal battles there!

• Jayemay says:

What a great idea!! You’d probably need to make viewers understand that premise though, maybe have an introduction each week where a narrator explains how in the Criminal Justice System the people are represented by two separate, yet equally important groups: the police who investigate crime and the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders.

20. Ram510 says:

This is out of control! NBC, Dick Wolf, just cut it out already.

21. Mr. Tran K says:

First there’s firefighters then cops and doctors and now lawyers? That’s really something.

22. Kenny says:

I was personally hoping for “Law & Order: Chicago” and keep it focused on the courtroom like “Trial By Jury” but Chicago Law sounds fine enough. I think this should be it though, although I’d watch anything they stamp Chicago on.

23. Will Sanborn says:

I just want to say: I called this. :)

24. Dysturbed says:

Is it overkill? Perhaps, but since I enjoy the existing three shows and they do well based on NBC’s standards, I am all for it.

25. prish says:

The should get Michaela Watkins to do what she did to Benched. It was great!

26. Sherrih says:

Well if you don’t like the idea then do not watch it. It is that simple. I do not understand why, every time I read comments here there is such negativity towards anything. Opinions and views are fine but dang right out blasting something or just being totally negative is annoying.

27. The three shows crossover was screaming backdoor pilot anyway…

28. BM says:

Not really surprised… Not opposed to it but it would have been great if there hadn’t been so much of it in the last PD episode.

29. Ray says:

Good for NBC. If CBS can have 4 CSI, 3 NCIS, and 3 Criminal Minds than NBC can have 4 Chicago shows and to many to count Law & Order spinoffs. Not to mention NCIS was a spinoff of Jag so that makes 3 shows that spawned into 11 shows.

30. Ray says:

I also wish Chicago Med would mention the hospital from ER since they both are in Chicago. How cool would it be to see Dr. Carter walk into the hospital as the new head of emergency medicine. Mind Blown! (Yea I know they are owned by different companies but a guy can flash back to his childhood.

31. Flowbee Rida says:

so in other words…it could cross over with Chicago PD, and maybe show a case from the original crime, through the legal process…..could even work as a combined show!

32. Phil says:

All for it…please bring Brenda Strong on board and I will watch!

33. Das snow says:

Call dad. Chicago law.

But if they add another show after Chicago then it deserves all of those jokes.

34. James D says:

I’m shocked, SHOCKED, how does one convey sarcasm through the written word :) this was the obvious progression for the franchise. I’m down with it as long as they can separate it from L&O. I thought Maureen did a fine job and would gladly give it a watch.

35. Jeri says:

Crazy. May be too much of a good thing. Maybe NBC should change its’ name to C H I C A G O.

36. herman1959 says:

Obviously, Dick Wolf has sold his soul to the Devil.

37. Lindsey says:

I love Fire, PD and Med but cap it at these three. And I love Dick Wolf but does anyone remember Law and Order Trial by Jury… I’m mean come on the last great legal drama on tv was The Practice

38. Kim says:

I said bet we get a Chicago Law Spin-off after seeing last weeks crossovers! Nailed it!

39. Mary says:

Have these people ever heard too much of a good thing. While I love Chicago Fire & Pd, Med hasn’t really grown on me yet but I do watch. Oh well wasn’t a shock.

40. Jim J. says:

“Chicago Law”, huh? I’m wondering if “Chicago Med” getting a series order for next season means a cancellation for “L&O: SVU” after this season? (Keeping in mind the limited number of spots on the schedule for new shows.)

41. Kalli says:

Enough already! The crossover felt very L&O and I missed the PD characters. They seem to have so many that they are paying some to come in and sit in the office and say one line a week, and adding more into the universe would make it even more difficult to work with the characters already there. Hermann is back behind the bar but last week he was still in hospital? Alvin’s daughter is where? Did Mouch even have any storylines before he met Trudy? What about the rest of Squad? I keep getting the Med people mixed up with Code Black, except Colin Donnell cos I knew him from Arrow, but everyone else is a blur.

42. Paul says:

Coming soon: “Chicago Engineers”. “Chicago Sanitation”, “Chicago Power & Light”, “Chicago Rodent Control” and “Chicago Guy Who Gets Rahm His Mocchachino Every Morning”