Danny Glover Criminal Minds

Criminal Minds Casts Danny Glover in 'Interesting' Role, as Derek's [Spoiler]

Four-time Emmy nominee Danny Glover is heading to CBS’ Criminal Minds, in a key role in a pivotal episode.

TVLine has learned exclusively that Glover will guest-star in this season’s 16th episode, titled “Derek,” as father to Shemar Moore’s character.

Of course, Derek Morgan’s dad is long-established as being dead. So…. Hmm.

“It’s an interesting role that he plays,” showrunner Erica Messer shares with TVLine. “The reason Derek needs to call on this protector in this moment and work through some things is really beautifully written by Breen Frazier, and directed by [cast member] Thomas Gibson.

Glover’s more recent TV credits include an arc on Fox’s Touch, plus episodes of Leverage, Psych and NBC’s short-lived Ironside remake.

Criminal Minds resumes Season 11 this Wednesday at 10/9c.

Want more scoop on Criminal Minds, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Steven says:

Hmm. Criminal Minds only names episodes after certain characters if something really big happens. JJ and Prentiss (albeit temporarily) left and Garcia got shot and almost died. This has me nervous now.

• I noticed that too. I’m as freaked out as you are about this. I saw the title a couple weeks ago, and I’m like ‘Oh *insert bad word here* this can’t be good’ But maybe we can finally figure out his father’s name… maybe. Me and my friends make up names for him because it was never mentioned. But something tells me it isn’t sounding good for our favorite door kicking in profiler.

• Angela says:

Yeah, I’m nervous, too. MGG said last summer that a regular team member would be leaving this season, and a lot of people have been speculating it might be Morgan. So if that’s the case…
      Your point about the show naming episodes after characters when something really serious is happening is another reason to be worried. Gubler’s supposed to direct the episode where the team member in question leaves, so obviously that’s not this one, since the article says Gibson’s directing it, but still…I’m REALLY hoping that his father’s appearance will be via flashback and not because he winds up near death and is having visions of him or something. Oh, boy. This should be interesting.
      It will be neat to get to see his dad, though. Given the way Morgan’s talked about him over the years, it sounds like his dad was quite an admirable man :).

• Linda says:

After watching last night and reading this I’m thinking Derek’s going to be a daddy!

2. herman1959 says:

Count me in.

3. Assuming that what Matthew said is still true (he is directing a character’s exit), this episode will not be Morgan’s exit (because if any character is leaving, I still think it is Morgan), but it likely sets up his exit arc for episode 18 (the episode Matthew is directing).

4. Pat says:

Guess he’s not too old for that umm crap

5. Really have missed Reedwhere

6. Trisha Hadsell says:

Brilliant casting ~ Danny Glover. I was hoping he would become a regular. Have not thought of “Morgan” leaving. That would be DEADLY for this series. Especially if they are thinking, that Aisha Tyler would somehow fit in the team. Shemar Moore is as irreplaceable as “Prentiss” has been 😬
    Yet without any “gloom and doom” I love Mr. Glover joining this team. Exceptional casting for “Morgan’s dad 💋💫🕶

7. Marge says:

There is no way Glover could play Derricks’ father unless he is playing his stepfather. Not a good physical match !!!

8. Jim Stewart says:

If I see danny glover in any more CBS shows I will stop watching ALL CBS shows. He is a hugo chavez/communist dictator loving anti-American low life.

9. Mona Mack says:

Why is derek morgan leaving the show

Is Sharmar Moore really gone???…I missed it.caught the last seen…wt…..