Castle Cancelled

Castle Heads to [Spoiler] for First Time Ever: 'A Treat for Longtime Fans'

Even eight seasons in, ABC’s Castle has some fresh territory to be explored. Namely, a courtroom trial for one the many murders Beckett & Co. have solved.

“For the first time ever in Castle history, you go into a courtroom, you actually see a trial based on a case,” co-showrunner Alexi Hawley tells TVLine.

And while the murder case at hand is not one viewers have seen unspool on-screen, the testimony of one Richard Castle promises to take viewers on a trip down memory lane.

“I think it will be a treat for our longtime fans,” says co-showrunner Terence Paul Winter, “because it refers to several things that have happened in the last few years.”

There’s also the none-too-small fact that always unpredictable Castle is called to testify in the case.

“He’s an ‘interesting’ guy to give testimony. He has to take the stand— annnnnd it kind of goes sideways,” Winter shares with a laugh. Adds Hawley, “So then there’s fallout from that, some scrambling to do damage control!”

Want more scoop on Castle, or for any other show? Email and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. bobbie says:

So I click on these articles to see if I should start watching the show again. The answer is no, but thanks Matt and tvline for soldiering through the mess that is this season.

If it ends this year, I have learned my lesson from HIMYM, wait for the reviews before watching the finale.

• Just one thing says:

Silly me, I thought Beckett would be the focus of the courtroom arc when the casting of Caleb was announced…

• Pey says:

Me too but the producers don’t have much love for Beckett this season

• Beckett like rI chard castle makes the show if not for Kate beckett the show would not be the same . I think a lot of fans would feel the same way.

• Joey says:

You are right a lot of fans think the same way. Lets go back to episode 23 of season 7 when Kate was in front of the panel and she told them that Castle always had her back and she was proud to be his wife. I hope the show runners are smart enough to have her in that court room covering her husband back. Yes Vikram is Loksat that is why he is always trying to drive a wedge between Rick and Kate. So if he can get Rick put in jail he can get him killed off. I hope that by the time this episode is aired the separation of Rick and Kate is over. And if both sign new contracts and we get new show runners we will have a great season 9.

• DL says:

I agree with you Joey that Vikram is Loksat. It’s so obvious it isn’t even funny; like the twist regarding Edward James Olmos’s character in that season of Dexter. Anyone could see it coming a mile away.

• CastleBuzz says:

It certainly sounded like that…

• susan says:

I think you are wrong. This season was troublesome for true fans, but that’s what good writing is suppose to do. Keep us on edge

• lurker says:

On the edge of… Patience? Nerves? Healthy mind? Common sense? Passive-aggressiveness?

• Buddy says:

Normally I would agree but we do not have good writers. The scripts we have seen since about the middle of season 6 just do not make sense. They totally do not make sense even considering something as basic as being consistent with what has happened in previous episodes and personal charistics previously demonstrated. Things presented as being of utmost importance are not given appropriate attention befitting the importance. Vikram has been presented as being Totally inane or working for LokSat.

2. teri says:

I will enjoy going down memory lane. Those are the best type of Castle shows. Anything that involves Castle and Beckett being together is a good Monday.

3. That One Mean Girl says:

…a treat. Is that the new “fun?”

4. Mr. Tran K says:

Does this mean that the entire episode is going to take place in a courtroom for an hour long drama?

5. Vanessa says:

By “treat”, does he mean Castle-the-Clown acting like an idiot in court? Or does it mean Castle gets to embarrass his wife/pretend-separated-wife by helping to get whatever evidence she found thrown out of court? I’m sure whatever this “great” is, it involves buffoonery on Castle’s part, and bringing his wife down in front of everyone.

• CastleBuzz says:

Vanessa, you’ve stated my concerns as though we were twins. :):) Let’s hope we’re wrong.

• PacIslRocks says:

Vanessa: has it ever occurred to you and others that perhaps Nathan Fillion likes to play comedy in this way? That maybe he has a “frat boy with his frat boys” inside him that needs expression? Castle-the-Clown acting like an idiot in court is really a fun, acting treat for Fillion? To me, he has an over the top facial expressions and hand gestures (the only time his hands aren’t in his pockets) when he’s trying to be “funny” which isn’t funny at all. Just asking.

• CastleBuzz says:

Agree, Pac. I’ve been saying this for a while. Fillion’s always had that aspect of his personality coming through onscreen in Castle. In the first few years of the show, I think it was kept under control perhaps because he was reined in by stronger direction. Then it would pop up here and there and was acceptable, even funny. Now it’s almost a constant and the humor is one-note. It appears as if he does what he pleases now or maybe those directing now have the same sense of “humor.” By his own admission, he doesn’t like multiple takes and will refuse to do them if he thinks a take was good enough.

• CaskettCrazy (or once was) says:

He is such a pompous jerk. I have no doubts that he is leading the pack in the disrespect that Kate/Stana is getting this season. If they get picked up for season 9, I hope Stana doesn’t re-sign and they kill off Kate. I know, it’s blasphemy for a Caskett fan to say that, but I want to see how hard the show crashes and burns without her. I know I wouldn’t want to stay after the way the character and actress has been treated. I don’ t understand why they were so anxious to re-sign her if all they were going to do is make her the butt of their third grade attempts at humor. The writers/showrunners need to grow the heck up and quit running this show into the ground. But alas, I’m afraid that ship has already sailed. I christen thee “Titanic,” may she ever rest in peace.

• Roxie says:

CaskettCrazy. Thanks for being another voice of honesty and one who can actually see the forest from the trees. Most on this thread only see black and white. The end for me was having the majority of fans say how much they LOVED the fart joke in the Nose ep. That’s when it became oh so obvious that the showrunners were pandering to the lowest common denominator and that we would never hear our classy sophisticated dialogue ever again. Low lifes win again…

• Guest47 says:

You know… if the writers think he shouldn’t add things or don’t want him to do it they can decide to don’t put it in the show… So, don’t blame Nathan Fillion for everything! Also, no one know exactly, and with exactly I mean “word by word”, what the contracts or other things happened. So, blaming him for everything is a stupid thing, to be honest. The problem in this fandom is that the majority see Stana as an “untouchable” person so she can do whatever she wants, but Fillion is the one who always get hate for anything.
            I know people who still have fun with the show, personally I don’t love this season, but at least I’m mature enough to not sending or talking sh*t about someone!
            Honestly I want to get back in 2011/2012 when the fandom was a good place to be, without people hating on everyone (NF especially)… But it’s impossible, so I have to read this kind of comments…
            And… nope. You are not a Caskett fan, because there’s no way a True Caskett fan would love Kate to get killed…
            Yes, the show this year is pretty bad, but honestly… I expected this since Marlowe and Terri said they would’ve leave. Guess I was right.
            Don’t talk sh*t about people if you don’t know for sure what happened. Maybe if Stana got less screen isn’t NF’s fault, you think!? Or maybe it was. Who know? Sure not you or everyone else. So, if you want to state something… say something about the quality of the show, but not talking sh*t about any person in general. That’s all.

6. DarkDefender says:

Sounds promising. How about we all wait til it airs before we ride the bashing train?
    I dare you to wait. Triple dog dare.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

• Act_On_Love says:

Dark Defender, I’d like to add a couple more dogs. :-D

I remember just hating S4 during the process because oh, the angst, it was killing me. Then in retrospect it was fine because they were moving forward to something better. I want more Caskett screen time, the happily-ever-after, all that, and I just have to hope to hell that these writers know what they’re doing. If not, it’s at least been interesting. What I hope is that Kate will realize she doesn’t want to stay behind a desk, and she can’t go back to being “just a detective”, (and maybe getting pregnant might be a factor!) so she’ll give up the captaincy and Castle will run the PI business together. But who knows?

Anyone who’s not interested might consider doing something more constructive with their time than… dare I call it whining?

• Yoa says:

If I do not agree with something that’s whining ?.
        We must be agree with all ?.

and where is the freedom to say if you like something or not?

• PacIslRocks says:

DD: One problem in your PI wish: Castle is such a screw up as a PI that Kate without Javi and Ryan to back her up would have to rescue Rick by herself in whatever mess he has found himself in. Plus, he can’t shoot straight nor does he have any fighting/martial arts skills. I can’t believe that after 8yrs following Becket,Javi & Ryan, he still has a soft tissue body with man boobs bigger than his wife’s! He’s a talking head whose most worked out body part is his mouth! Castle needs Kate plus a team to rescue him!

• KLS says:

He can shoot and is considered a good shot. I agree that after all this time, and now a PI, he should know how to fight/defend himself.

• CaskettCrazy (or once was) says:

OMG, I said the exact same thing to my sister about his man boobs being bigger than Stana’s. No wonder he’s always covered up by a sheet post coitus. You would think as a leading man, he would take better care of himself. Like the show, he’s letting his body go to he!! in a hand basket.

• John NYC says:

“he can’t shoot straight”

LOL: In a first season episode he finds Kate at a range and after some awful target misses, Kate makes a deal that she’ll share the case file he wants to see if he puts ANY of the remaining shots in the ten ring: he turns, sets up: and drops every last shot right into the ten without hesitation or pause.

So yes, he’s a good shot and a better poker player.

• CastleBuzz says:

This whole question of whether Castle is a good shot or not is the fault of the show’s continuity people who are suppose to watch over scripts for consistency. The truth is Rick has been portrayed as both an excellent shot — usually when he has time, the shooting range for example, or when his gun is already drawn, in the ep with the counterfeit money — and a bad shot — the duel in the West ep or when he shot a gun out of a perp’s hand but said he was aiming for the guy’s head.

• Kathy says:

@CastleBuzz, you said, “…or when he shot a gun out of a perp’s hand but said he was aiming for the guy’s head.” That was an homage to Firefly.

• CastleBuzz says:

Kathy, just goes to the argument that there are too many Firefly references on Castle. For those of us who are not Firefly aficionados, probably the majority of the Castle fandom, that scene just seemed like one more inconsistency. I’ve never know a show to have throwbacks and homages to one of the actors previous works. Enough already.

• CaskettCrazy (or once was) says:

Ooh Love, it’s scary that I had the exact same idea about the pregnancy/PI business. However, unlike season 4 where there was a lot of angst but with a big payoff, all you are going to get at the end of season 8 is regret. Regret that you spent 22 hours of your life waiting for a happy resolve, only to have the rug pulled out from under you, a la seasons 6-7.

• Joey says:

In the PI business together would be great, like the show King and Maxwell.

• NDFan says:

That’s the silliest idea I’ve ever heard ;)

• PacIslRocks says:

NDF: which idea is the “silliest”? Rick can’t shoot straight; Rick can’t solve a case without screwing it up; he needs Kate,Javi and Ryan to save him; or that his man boobs are bigger than Kate’s?

• CastleBuzz says:

I think NDF is referring to DarkDefenders” notion of “how about we all wait til it airs before we ride the bashing train?” LOL

• CastleBuzz says:

DarkDefender: That would be the reasonable thing to do except for the fact that these two showrunners have lost the trust of many fans, including many who post here. They’ve lost it through their own words and actions, and the results seen onscreen. There’s also the matter of the language used in these comments, such as the testimony of Castle being highlighted with no mention of Beckett and such testimony being “interesting”and “going sideways” so there’s “fallout” and “scrambling” to fix it. Like the word “fun” those words speak volumes about the potential for yet another Castle-centric ep that features stumbling, bumbling behavior and silly humor.
      I hope not. There’s still time to redeem this season but not for another nonsensical filler episode.

• lurker says:

Which episode is this one? At Jan 22nd they’re gonna start to film ep. 16. There’s very little time for redeeming, if at all.

• CastleBuzz says:

I believe the ep in the courtroom is 8×10 Witness for the Prosecution, the second one after the break. And, yes, time is flying by. My hope is that these spoilers are emphasizing the “humorous” aspects of the eps as is Hawley’s habit but that the eps themselves have some meat to them as well.

• Yoa says:

It’s always the same with A.Hawley.
      Pure promises and does not meet any.
      We will see at trial : Images in retrospect ?.
      it is a gift for fans ?.
      Hawley & Winter are only broken promises

• David says:

I’m with you DarkDefender….holly molly, can people stop judging before they even see the episode?? Just for once, hold off on the criticism, it’s not helpful….

• CaskettLover922 says:

No, David, that is not so much criticism as it is honest opinions. This is criticism: it’s holey moley NOT holly molly!

• CastleBuzz says:

In my part of the world it’s holy moly but I think we all know what David meant.

• CastleBuzz says:

Oops didn’t finish…Still CaskettLover922 is right in saying people are for the most part just expressing their opinions. This isn’t school. They’re not required reading.

• CaskettLover922 says:

CastleBuzz. My bad. Karma bit me on the azz for being snarky. Thanks for keeping it real and me humble. You, too, David!😜

• CastleBuzz says:

Sorry, CaskettLover922, I wasn’t trying to correct you. I grew up with the holy moly spelling but have seen it as holy moley and even as holey moley as you wrote. It may be a regional US thing or a difference between English English and American English. Don’t know. In any case, I believe the “moly” part is short for Molly, which is an old-fashioned nickname for Mary. Makes sense because holy moly was originally a euphemism for the “Holy Mary, Mother of God” expression considered impolite and even blasphemous. So David wasn’t too far off. :)

• CastleLover922 says:

No apologizes necessary. I was being snarky just like I said in my last message. The history lesson was informative as well.

7. John Z says:

Yeah, no. Buffoon Castle sucks.

8. ndixit says:

So this is going to be another ep where Castle acts as a buffoon. Thanks, I’ll pass! Thanks for the heads up this time!

9. MissEllys says:

Another Castle centered episode. I like Castle, but it seems like they’re going out of their way to tick off fans of Caskett.

10. Carol says:

I think it sounds interesting and a long overdue storyline. Something new going forward.

11. Pey says:

And what about Beckett? Why aren’t there any spoilers about her?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Oh, very much so. Massive AH/TPW Q&A coming some day. Also, Inside Line goodies galore.

• brad says:

some day so is that sarcasm or you know another big twist again good thing most hate this season so they wont care

• Waleed says:

Pls ask them why are they in denial that s8 haven’t been appreciated by a lot. And that they have made me hate the characters and the show. The show doesn’t have anything I liked to watch. Plus there’s no caskett chemistry.

• Court says:

Looking forward to that.

• annek says:

What, she gets killed?

• Pey says:

What? Nooooo. Some day doesn’t sound good. Why do I feel that you know something we don’t know and her fans won’t like what they have to say?

• Evla says:

Good….we want Beckett as we want Castle and above all we want them together so, can you please ask to the showrunners about Beckett and also Caskett?
        If they are considering a child for them, maybe next year if the two leads, renew?
        If they are conscious that work separation, the limited time together on the screen during an episode, is the real reason for the dissatisfaction of the fans?
        They might be a little smarter and give the fans what they want, which is what made the show what it is.

• CaskettCrazy (or once was) says:

The run the show into the ground runners have already vetoed the baby idea. They said that she’s too much of a boots on the ground woman to be a mom. And you can forget more on-screen time for Caskett. As long as they keep pandering to NF, that ain’t gonna happen. Stana is enough of a professional that she can put aside any differences she has with Nathan, but unfortunately, he’s too childish and unprofessional to do the same. Sometimes you can feel his animosity toward her when they are on screen together. He needs to grow up, suck it up, and do his job. You know, the one he gets paid exorbitantly to do.

12. c-mo says:

Don’t care what the rest of you nay-sayers say, I’m looking forward to this!!!

13. Jo says:

So…clip show episode?

• CastleBuzz says:

Probably not. The article says the trial is not about one of the cases we’ve seen onscreen.

• Just one thing says:

That means it’ll be full of flashbacks, as told by Richard Castle on the stand. Not exactly a riveting storytelling method, and one I’m glad Beckett isn’t required to help execute.

• lurker says:

And I’m almost willing to bet that those alleged flashbacks could hide something new for us to learn completely from the left field.

14. brad says:

also arent they suppose to fight in public and mainly cause that new character who works for loksat is there

15. Private Dick says:

Why waste my time with Questions for these inept showrunners when their Answers are always bait and switch BS lies. “Fun and Treats” for them is not the same for the fans. All the fans want is CASKETT but since the two leads can’t stand to be in the same scene together, that ain’t gonna happen. I’ve been racking my brains trying to figure out exactly what happened for such animosity to have occurred between N and S. Of course nobody will ever give up the truth since they want to keep working, but there’s only a couple of reasons that make sense. From approximately early 2010 to late 2012 they had an affair that ended badly or one of them threw the other under the bus regarding scripts, contracts etc. As to the time frame, all you need to do is look at the three Paleyfest videos to see it fall apart before your eyes.

That much anger and animosity is personal and since they are professionals they go through the motions on camera, but like any bad divorce, you can’t continue to hold it together for the sake of the kids(fans).

• Night Owl says:

For the record, not every fan just wants Caskett. I’ve always enjoyed much more than that. I love the bromance between Ryan/Espo. I also enjoy the snippets with Alexis/Martha and enjoy when they are in the episode more. I’ve always enjoyed the wild theories that Castle comes up with, and how much he really believes them. Additionally, the way Castle is just such a typical guy has always made it fun for me. I’m sorry, but for me, there’s more to the show than Caskett. Caskett is just one aspect of the show that I enjoy and honestly, I enjoyed it more when they weren’t together. Their love story is just one aspect. To me, it doesn’t make or break the show. I’m sure this will piss people off, but it’s the truth.

• Disappointed says:

I think for probably the majority it does make or break the show, which is what makes any attempt to continue with only one lead or a spin off questionable, but I’ve always enjoyed the other elements as well, until they didn’t seem to know what to do with Alexis from S6, and now in S8 with only minimal Caskett (working together) the show seems too fragmented, Lanie could have been made more interesting but instead we got Hayley. Caskett was the glue holding things together and its come unstuck.

• Beckstle says:

Why would that be upsetting? You like what you like, and I’m sure you aren’t alone. However, the ratings they say that the dynamic between Castle and Beckett is what most people have liked because when they drastically cut back on it in season 7 the ratings crashed. They’d been fairly steady for years but when they cut back the scenes with Castle and Beckett and introduced Castle P.I. – down went the ratings. As season 8 continued the trend it’s had the lowest ratings ever – again, after years of steady fairly steady ratings. So, although Caskett may not be your thing, it’s clearly been a draw of the show for many. I’m not upset by people who like other aspects of the show more, because that doesn’t change the reality of what has contributed the most to its success – the Caskett dynamic.

• CastleBuzz says:

Agree, Beckstle. NightOwl’s correct in that the show is about more than Caskett but the Beckett-Castle dynamic is the core of all of the rest. Without it, nothing hangs together.

• Night Owl says:

Well, usually I get blasted for saying that. I don’t think it was so much the Caskett aspect of the Castle PI thing in season 7 only. It was also the disconnect from NYPD. I think that connection has helped the show to thrive as well as the development in the relationship with Beckett. I think the show also took several hits. First was the Castle PI thing, where he was banished from NYPD. Then, the whole disappearance on his wedding day, which to me was a jumping the shark moment. The separation of Castle and Beckett with little to no logical reasoning that was out of character for Beckett was another hit to the show.

I just don’t think the whole Caskett aspect is the whole reason why popularity has dropped off. There have been disconnects that have nothing to do with Caskett. Also, perhaps fans would have been able to accept the break up with a more logical explanation. Additionally, Castle’s disappearance was not well constructed nor explained in a way that the average viewer could respect. The Castle PI section of season 7 was just bad right off, because it dragged on too long and it took him away from NYPD as well as Beckett. His relationship with the NYPD and working with them is also integral to the show. When they severed it for too long it created a disconnect. By dragging it on too long, it hurt them.

I don’t doubt that Caskett is at least part of it, but I think that there were some big blows to it, that pulled fans away also. We know fans have dropped off, we don’t necessarily know everyone’s motivation. We can only assume it. However, it does seem that those events surround when fans dropped off.

• CastleBuzz says:

NightOwl: I think I may define “Caskett” more broadly than you. For me, it’s not just the romantic side of them being together (the so-called Caskett shipping) but the entire interplay between them — the writer and his muse, the shadowing of Beckett so Castle has the connection with the NYPD, Castle’s friendship with Ryan and Esposito through Beckett, Beckett’s involvement with Castle’s family, and so on. All the disconnects you list — and any more I can think of — interfere with this broader definition. That’s why these disconnects hurt so much. They disrupt the very reason why many people watch the show and moreover the very premise of the show itself.

• Night Owl says:

Now THAT I can get behind and that I will agree with. Most times people are speaking strictly about the relationship between Castle & Beckett in the romantic sense. I appreciate your broader definition. That’s also why I believe in talking about things you disagree on. There are times you find that there’s more similarity than you first thought. Thanks for the broader definition. It helps me to see that we’re more on the same page than I originally thought.

• CastleBuzz says:

NightOwl, I’ve had that same thought, that not just you and I but many here have opinions more similar than different. That’s why I too like coming back to the thread to read responses. Almost mimics a real conversation.

• Beckstle says:

Night Owl I have all the same thoughts about what you’ve listed as problems, but as CastleBuzz said, that all connects to the theme of Caskett – it’s not just the sexy stuff. In fact it’s the idea that Caskett is only the romantic connection that adds to the problems of the show’s current construction.
            In terms of the broad definition of Caskett, for seasons 5 and 6 the sexy stuff was the only thing the show didn’t have much of, but that was an icing on the cake kind of thing. It seemed a shame not to have more passionate moments between the characters after four years of UST. Now it’s the polar opposite. They’ve taken away all the substance that we’ve mentioned as being a part of Caskett then thrown some frosting on the crumbs that are left of the show.

• Her Pegship says:

Good grief, where does anyone get the notion that N & S were a couple at any time in RL?? Or that there’s any hostility between them? Aren’t there enough soap operas on tv without people having to fabricate them?

16. annek says:

I certainly dont trust their idea of a treat. Kinda of like their idea of fun?

17. 183arizona170 says:

One thing is sure: when Castle ends, TVLine will announce it with a huge mourning headline. This show is the surest clickbait even if there are 2-3 posts in a week :)

18. Emcg says:

Where do people get the ideia that the two leads can’t stand each other? I’ve read that several times on the coments of every article about Castle and I really don’t understand it

• Linda L says:

I’m not sure where it comes from either. I’ve seen them both interviewed separately and they’re polite and gracious about each other and let’s be honest……they’re both Canadian so it would be against our laws to be rude to someone in public. 😉 I guess others can read minds or believe what the rags write. 😬

• Private Dick says:

No mind readers or rag believers just the ability to read body language, lack of interviews subtext of things they are not saying , loudly! Go back to former interviews and review body language in all three Paleyfest videos. You don’t need super powers to know something drastic has occurred between them. People can say a lot without using words.

• Her Pegship says:

Personal interpretation of body language does not equal fact. Spreading rumors about what a celebrity may or may not have said doesn’t even come close to reliable.

• John Z says:

I heard through a friend of a friend, something very similar. Now I cant verify the story first hand, but it does fit with events on show. Would also explain story choice this season. As a desperate work around that the fans arent buying.

• I Give Up says:

Exactly…separately! One journalist was quoted as saying that when they asked for a joint interview they were told “it would be a cold day in hell” before that would happen. Sometime two plus two does equal four,

• bob says:

because the people dont see them in photos together anymore or tweet at each other anymore they hardly work together anymore

19. Emcg says:

Posted my comment before finishing it.
    Anyway, I’m looking forward to this episode!

20. Beckstle says:

Great. Another chance for these showrunners to rewrite past seasons the way they see fit. Given how they’ve already trashed the “Always” episode, I’m not looking forward to this at all.

21. John NYC says:

Set in a trial?

I hadn’t realized they’d not done that. Could be an interesting context.

22. bob says:

so iam confused what is castle doing so did he witness a crime or did he do something bad

23. James D says:

I look forward to watching it. I’ve always wanted to see Castle bumbling through a testimony should be highly entertaining.

• Private Dick says:

James D. If it’s bumbling you want, go watch The Three Stooges! That is the point we have been trying to make – Castle had evolved into sa smarter sophisticated thoughtful man over the 5 seasons just to let these idiot showrunners regress him back to a frat boy ogling strippers. I don’t want to get into their character assassination of Beckett.

24. Ellen says:

Rick Castle can be serious as a heart attack when he needs to be. And a courtroom would be one of those instances for him. And you don’t have to be the funny guy to have an answer go sideways as a witness, it can be as simple as an answer that gets twisted by the other side. So why everyone assumes Castle will play the bumbling idiot in this episode is ridiculous.

He takes their cases very seriously, always has. I’m looking forward to this! I really enjoy when they move outside the box and change it up a bit. After 7 seasons they need more than just the case of the week every now and then. It makes it more interesting. That’s why I also enjoy the P.I. aspect this season.

• ndixit says:

The assumption isn’t uncalled for. You put the show runners claims of wanting this season to be more comedic and combine that with the recent history of Castle’s behavior along with the description of the episode and it becomes a pretty reasonable assumption.

• CastleBuzz says:

Ellen, it will be terrific if the plot unfolds as you envision with the sideways testimony and what comes afterwards playing out naturally. That’s how it might have been done a few seasons ago. Unfortunately, as ndlxlt point out, that’s not how things have been this season so far. The humor has been much broader and forced, often juvenile, so it’s not reaching too far to expect the worse. Many of us are a bit jaded by now.

• Her Pegship says:

25. KLS says:

I hate to admit it, but I am happy to see some other news/promo regarding Castle that doesn’t have to do with S9 or spin-off. Last weekend was crazy!

Feb is sweeps month, remember and these are supposed to be the best episodes. I am looking for 4-5 good, entertaining eps.

26. bshaid says:

I hate the mashing of names; don’t watch the show anymore…

27. Luis says:

This is the kind of creative thinking that could dave the series from retirement. Castle’s unique status with the 12th Precinct has always been a ripe field for cross-examination by a high-priced defense lawyer. It should be fun watching Castle squirm on the witness stand as all of the details of one of the cases he helped solve get dragged into open court

28. Mary says:

So I click in here hoping to see that the constant whining and complaining ended with the New Year! No? Ah, silly me!:)
    Anyway, as someone who always loved shows related to trials and courtrooms, I´m looking forward to this episode, no matter if the focus is Castle or Beckett or Ryan or even Espo!

29. JImN says:

If the show runners really were interested in pulling fans in to watch any episode they’d say that there will be lots of witty dialogue between Katic and Fillion, but they didn’t. We’re probably down to the usual 4 minutes of shared screen time (new footage) that has been the average this season. Not interesting.

30. Theresa wachal says:

Please use a snow to clarify the fiasco that prevented the kind of wedding many of us wanted. That missing chunk of time should be explained . It could be a way to heal the mistrust that has separated Rick and Kate.

31. Jess says:

I’ll wait until it airs to judge but after the way the show runners kept trying to label the first part of this season as ‘fun’, I don’t have a lot of faith in what their version of ‘a treat for longtime fans’ is.

32. FormerCastleFan says:

Is this RC’s version of “Still” since it refers to things that happened over the last few years? Only this time he won’t have Kate at his side…or in the courtroom….but I bet the spoiled college dropout daughter is there. No thank you.
    If they want to entice this former viewer to watch again tell me that Castle and Beckett are once again working together to solve a crime…which reminds me, didn’t the last couple episodes and promos imply that we were going to see more Casket? Yet now all the stories coming out now imply more separation for Caskett. Guess we won’t know the truth until the episodes come out. Thank goodness for On Demand…

33. lame says:

The huge mistake was 6.23, that dropped

34. Boiler says:

Wow a lot of you people must have miserable lives. Do you just wait until a Castle article is posted so you can come on here and gripe. Personally I am glad Matt and TVLine keep us posted on Castle. I am actually enjoying the year. I like the other characters and I don’t feel the need to put a stop watch on Castle and Beckett scenes. I would like to see TVLine close comments on Castle tho.

35. lame says:

6.23 was catastrophic. That one episode dropped Castle from elite status , 12.62 mil viewers and a 2.4 demo to 8.6 mil and a 1.8 demo . If you remember the rage, was a result of fans who had followed faithfully for six season’s felt betrayed by Marlowe playing them for suckers. Compounding that desaster was the failure to follow thru with the search for RC”s diappearence, treating it as if it never happened. That dropped the demo from 1.8 to 1.5, and the series has never recovered .

• CastleBuzz says:

In retrospect, I agree. The rage was there for 6×23 but the viewership, if I recall correctly, was just as high at the start of season 7. The real blow was what you call “compounding that disaster” by not following it up in a serious way in the first half of the season and the ratings fell after 7×1, 7×2. They’ve now done exactly the same thing this year by introducing a very dramatic story arc and then ignoring it for the most part.
      I think TPTB believe they can do this because it’s how Beckett’s mother’s story was handled — one or two eps a year unraveling it. The difference, however, is that the Johanna arc developed out of the backstory and its effect on the main characters was not an immediate or new problem. Thus its resolution could take time. Both Rick’s disappearance and this LokSat threat are new, immediate, and extremely disruptive to the characters and overall story. They both needed to be, if not completely resolved quickly, at least dealt with and investigated in subsequent eps. In both cases, the drama of the events seemed wasted and for many viewers became just angst for angst sake.

• lame says:

This time they’re trying to rectify that mistake by mentioning Loksat throughout the season. The problem is they sacrificed Beckett’s integrity with this manic obsessive behavior. The once darling of the series has become a self centered shrew.

• CastleBuzz says:

That’s sort of my point. Just alluding to something like LokSat in some of the eps is not enough. For Kate’s actions to have made sense or at least be understandable to most fans, it was necessary to show 1) she had to follow up on the investigation for whatever reason, 2) why she believed it would be more dangerous to have Rick involved, and 3) some serious work on the case, perhaps even some progress. All in all, the execution has been poor. Whether the showrunners/writers can get themselves out of this hole remains to be seen.
          Just for the record, Beckett is not a self-centered shrew to me. Her character is still my fav on the series.

• Susan Smith says:

She’s certainly not a shrew.She did make a mistake in judgement by not being honest with Castle sooner.If by the 4th episode Caskett was solving cases again it wouldn’t have been so hard to watch.I blame the writers for sacrificing Beckett’s integrity and character to line things up for a “spinoff”.

• CastleBuzz says:

Not sure about the spinoff reasoning but do agree about the episode timing. Just delete eps 3, 4 and 6 and the arc isn’t too bad.

36. hannah says:

the castle fandom has to be one of the most negative fandom i’ve ever seen. let’s just enjoy the show, no? if you aren’t enjoying it, you shouldn’t be here

• lame says:

That would leave Matt with nothing to do and possible unemployment . All we’re doing is keeping the staff employed.

• CastleBuzz says:

LOL. Good one, lame. Just remember, Hannah, if we all weren’t passionate about Castle the show, none of us would be here.

37. Simone says:

‘Law And Murder’ & ‘Like Father, Like Daughter’, just some other episodes that spent time in a courtroom.

I’m intrigued by it being a treat for long time fans. I really want to know what they mean by that :D

• JImN says:

Just goes to show how little the current show runners know about the Castle show.

• Simone says:

Terrence Paul Winter actually wrote ‘Law And Murder’. And he’s currently co-showrunner with Alexi Hawley. I’m assuming they mean to feature a courtroom in a more prominent way.. particularly with Rick taking the stand.

• lurker says:

Well, they’ve said in some interview that this season they’ll be able to do some things they weren’t able before. I’m starting to wonder if that means “the boss is gone, let’s do something fun now?”

38. Sarah says:

The treat would be for them to wind up this story about LokSat. It is mentioned in almost every single episode one way or another. I don’t tune in to watch a serial/soap opera that goes on and on. I loved the episodes that stand alone. I have hope that they will change the direction of the show and keep the leads together and finish this story line. This show is too good to just let it keep going in the direction they have been going this whole first half of the season. With the leads separated the first half, I am still up in the air as to whether I want to buy season seven yet. So far not looking good but hope they get the hint that people want Kate and Rick together. This show has such an awesome cast and I just can’t give up on it yet.

39. susan says:

Hoping for many more seasons of Castle, fan are probably wondering how happy Stana & Nathan are in their current roles. Do they have other projects they’re considering?

40. Barry says:

So Winter indicates it’s something all Castle fans will enjoy. Well Terence-baby, based upon your Season 8 proclamations since September that are much the same, the odds are that this too will be just another turd floating in the punch bowl.

• Roxie says:

Barry. lol. You certainly are a wordsmith! Turd(s) defines these showrunners, their grasp of the shows concept, their ability to write adult and sophisticated dialogue for all types of characters including married couples – NOT!

41. geordie boy jimbo says:

i think if there are castle seasons 9 and 10 the showrunners may probably save rick and kates pregnancy until those series finales also maybe the part played by actor gerald mcraney maybe he is looking to expand his private investigation portfolio by maybe wanting to acquire the richard castle private investigations business if that is so his wife kate maybe looking to create a job for her husband as a full time police consultant for the new york police departments 12th precinct!!!

42. Fran says:

Your right Teri memory lane will be good!

43. Lora says:

I, for one, would like this show to introduce another formidable villain that runs across multiple episodes, not unlike 3XK, and by extension, Dr. Nieman. I’m not saying they should “rehash” a storyline. But I really miss the show tackling a grueling murder mystery. I think the intention of introducing “Locksat” is to make it this season’s Big Bad but the stories relating to it are too fragmented and vague to be compelling. And while it’s plausible that “Locksat” is to be vague at the moment, it should at least be story that I can care about – which I do not.

Still, I’m hopeful. I’ve been watching this show since the beginning and I still intend to see it through the end.

• CastleBuzz says:

Agree, Lora. I think LokSat was introduced as a new, ongoing adversary for the season but it’s not been executed very well so far. What made 3XK/Nieman compelling was their more gradual introduction and development as personal enemies of Beckett and Castle. That allowed the writers to return to that storyline just once a season. LokSat was introduced so dramatically and out of the blue that it needed to be followed up immediately, with more than just a mention here and there. Big mistake IMO.

44. Bruno Bailly says:

The more this season progresses,the more it looks like the show runners either have not seen the first 7 seasons or are determined to completely destroy the original concept of the show and its characters. The basic fact is that fans want to see the castle of old with the COW , the main character interactions, the fun the banter and Caskett working, living and progressing together towards their happily ever after.This is not such a hard concept to grasp.

• KLS says:

Well, Alexi Hawley was a writer for the show seasons 2,3,4. Terence Paul Winter has been there for 7 seasons, since season 2. So, they know the show. You could say that that makes matters better or worse. I can see their point of moving the show forward because S6 and S7 were stale/repetitive. They just chose weird story lines and then weak writing to support the “new direction” for S8.

45. Buddy says:

Plainly stated if Stana does not get as much if not more air time as Nathan I’m not interested. As far as a spin off I will watch it if Stana is the star but not if Nathan is the star. Sorry but I just think that Stana is the better, more versatile actor.

46. Amie says:

I’m so glad I’m not so into a show that I talk like most people on this thread, just like ever other show.. Fans and “fandoms” are two totally different things. Thankfully. I enjoy castle as usual so whatever happens, happens. I get tired of watching every show I watch anyways, so I’ll catch up when I feel into it again. I love criminal minds and I’m like 6 episodes behind and don’t have the urge to watch it anytime soon. I just can’t understand why people act a certain way when shows change things up for whatever reason.. It is what it is.

47. kenven says:

IDIOTS, Everyone of you. If you don’t like something you don’t have to do it, watch it or take it. Get a life and stop leaving these uninformed ass remarks. Watch it or don’t.

48. Dottie Ferrara says:

I feel that when the show started Nathan was the energy that carried the show, but Stana grew to be just as important as the writers gave her great lines and she pulled it off beautify. She is now just as important as Nathan to the Castle stories. They are equal and the two of them together is what makes the so appealing and powerful. I wish the writers would see that and go back to the fun and mystery that made the show popular. It’s simple ..what wasn’t broke stop trying to fix it.