Rachel Bloom Wins Best Actress in a Comedy at 2016 Golden Globes — Watch Video

Five of the small screen’s funniest ladies entered the fray during Sunday’s Golden Globes, but only one emerged crazy-victorious.

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend‘s Rachel Bloom — who already won the night with her “Sexy Golden Globey Song” on Instagram — went up against the likes of Scream Queens‘ Jamie Lee Curtis, Veep‘s Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Jane the Virgin‘s Gina Rodriguez (last year’s winner!) and Grace & Frankie‘s Lily Tomlin.

In a (very!) welcome surprise twist, Bloom snagged the statue for her work as Rebecca Bunch.

“I’m going to talk to you like people,” she began, before launching into a quick history of the show. “We got six rejections in one day and we felt like crap. Mark Pedowitz from The CW picked it out, and he’s the one who saved us. He’s the reason there’s a musical comedy on network television right now, and I can’t believe I’m saying that right now.”

Bloom continues to gush over the network in the press room, following her win.

“The CW has supported us creatively every single step of the way,” she told reporters. “It sounds weird, but we actually look forward to getting network notes. All of those things you hear about networks trying to stifle content or change the show — we have not gotten that at all from The CW. The CW lets creators create. It gives you freedom and throws love and support at you. The CW is fan-f—king-tastic.”

Do you think Bloom deserved her big win? Watch the video above, then drop a comment with your reaction(s) below.

1. N says:

Who saw that coming. Congrats girl! !!

• Min says:

She was the dark horse. I’m pleased!!!

• rowan77 says:

Why was she the “dark horse?” There is plenty of information about her. I think maybe this word doesn’t mean what you think it means?

• Compared to the giants she shared the category with, she’s a relative unknown and not even close to reaching the household name status of every other woman nominated. I never even heard of her before last fall.

• Simon Jester says:

“Dark horse” can mean a contestant who is not thought likely to win. Maybe, if you’re not familiar with the various usages, you shouldn’t lecture others?

• rowan77 says:

No, it’s not. That’s simply using the term incorrectly. The OED describes it as such: a candidate or competitor about whom little is known but who unexpectedly wins or succeeds. Not just someone you didn’t expect to win. Not to pick nits, but if you don’t know how to use a saying – look it up first.

2. My reaction was YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

she totally deserves it.

3. Steven says:

Going up against those heavyweights, I didn’t think she had a chance, but I’m so glad she won. Here’s hoping Crazy Ex gets a renewal somehow!

4. Yay! says:

I hope this brings some new viewers in … this is one of the best new shows of the year. Period.

5. GeoDiva says:

She is very talented and super funny! I hope more people watch her show! I love it!

6. Vikki says:

Yes! She deserved it! Love the show.

7. Mari says:

So happy for her!!!! Well deserved!

8. ABG says:

She seems lovely. I might watch her show later in the season (have too many episodes to watch before I’m all caught up with my shows again).

9. Risk taking like her show deserves recognition. I’m thrilled for her and the CW.

10. She is an extraordinary talent and I’m so happy she won and that someone who got the show was able to let the rest of us see it. Hopefully they’ll get a ratings bump from curious awards show fans.

11. KC says:

That was a very annoying acceptance speech…no class.

12. Sad that the show is not going to get a Season 2 most likely.

Maybe this changes CW’s mind? We shall see.

13. brandydanforth81 says:

WHy did this stupid YouTube chic who can’t act or sing & makes being mentally Ill but off meds and a stalker seem “cool” win?

14. Steven says:

Of COURSE she deserved it. It’s the most creative show on the tube, and it’s due prmarily to her – bith in the acting and writing. Cool!

15. Dennis says:

Yaaaas love her!

16. Samantha says:

Well deserved!!! So happy for her!! Love the show!! My husband even watches it with me and we laugh consistently.

17. ninergrl6 says:

This win made me SO HAPPY. I adore this crazy show and this crazy talented woman, and maybe this award will get a few more eyeballs to tune in. I’m glad to hear that she feels supported by the network. Hopefully this ensures a second season!

18. Cris says:

Love this show, its so off the wall. I hope this means we get a season 2.

19. Et al. says:

Mark Pedowitz: “Crap, what do we do now?”

20. Dani says:

I put off watching this show because I was afraid it might get cancelled. Now that it has won an award, CW won’t dare cancel it right? Can’t wait to marathon it. Glad that CW is getting recognition with their leading ladies.

21. TJ says:

Right before they announced it I told my husband… I really want Rachel Bloom win. He was like who? what show? :) I’m so excited and I hope this bring some new viewers to the show.

22. Ellinaras78 says:

Julia Lewis-Dreyfus deserved it. Guess she has won too many for some people’s liking.

23. TJ says:

In the photo gallery…. I thought WOW Melissa Rivers has had a lot of work done. Didn’t even recognize her. Then looking at another site, the same photo is identified as Keltie Knight. So I think you got the name wrong on slide #33. Double check it TV Line.

24. Ray says:

Victory!!

25. b says:

Pedowitz paid for this win. He will use this award to justify renewing this series for a second season when it didn’t deserve a full season order!

26. E. says:

What a great, genuine speech! She conveyed gratitude and excitement on a night when many other celebrities just conveyed cynicism and exhaustion. Love her, love the show, hope it gets renewed now!