Rectify Cancelled

Rectify to End After Season 4

Daniel Holden’s story will come to an end next fall.

SundanceTV announced Friday that the upcoming fourth season of its drama Rectify will be the show’s last.

The series — which stars Aden Young as Daniel, who must put his life back together after DNA evidence calls his 19-year conviction into question — was nominated for three 2016 Critics Choice Awards (for Young, supporting actor Clayne Crawford and Best Drama Series) and won a Peabody Award in 2015.

Rectify is in many ways an existential story that was allowed to come to life during an existential era in serial storytelling,” creator Ray McKinnon said in a statement. “It was a case of perfect timing with the perfect partners. I have always felt that Rectify could end at any time or just as easily continue. Well, not easily. But there no perfect ‘end’ for this story nor for these characters. They will continue to live on. We just won’t document them any longer. And the timing of this ‘non-end’ end feels exactly right.”

McKinnon continued: “SundanceTV has been a dream to work with on this journey; I am so grateful to have been allowed the freedom to tell the tale I wanted to tell, in the way I felt it should be told, with the mad and beautiful collaborators who joined me on the ride… Oh wait, we haven’t shot the final season yet. I’ll get back to you.”

Production on Rectify‘s final season begins in April for a Fall 2016 premiere. Are you sad to see it go?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. niloofar says:

I love the show, i’m ok with it being last season the story cant be streched a long time

2. Elvis85 says:

One of the best shows on TV.

3. bethsuek says:

This show is so beautifully written and acted. I will definitely miss it, but I agree that it’s probably the right time to end it.

4. Cass says:

I’ll absolutely miss it because I’ve fallen in love with the Holden family, but I’d rather it go out on the terms of the writers and not be extended just for the sake of extra episodes.

5. Dennis says:

Do we know how many episodes?

6. Shaun says:

I gave up on this show in season 1,the premise wasn’t enough to hook me.Glad for the fans though.

7. N says:

I love this show. I hate to see it end

8. Paul says:

A truly thoughtful and intelligent series. The actors are indeed a dream cast. I have found this show to be fascinating and will miss it but I do feel that the time is right for it to end. Bravo to the cast, creator and writers.

9. ? says:

Felt the show was starting to spin its wheels, so I’m glad to hear this. Hope the end is as good as the start.

10. Luka says:

One of my all time fav shows.Sad to hear it will not get a season 5.

11. Joey Padron says:

Sad season 4 will be the last one. Gonna miss the show so much.

12. B says:

An exceptional show created by an exceptional group of people. I will miss its thoughtfulness, deep emotion, and complex characters. One more season may be just about the right stopping point for the story, but watching these last episodes will be bittersweet, indeed. Can’t wait to see what Mr. McKinnon does next. He’s a truly gifted storyteller.

Any news on a return date?

13. Mike M says:

If you haven’t seen it then it’s the best show you never saw. Right way way up there in the Breaking Bad range of intelligent, enthralling dramas. Sad it has to end – but that’s AMC’s handy work in action once again. They need the money for another season of FTWD plus after show. A sickly poor waste of money in comparison in my opinion.

• Agree with your comments about AMC, but this show is on the Sundance Channel. FTWD is a snooze thus far, and the Badlands show doesn’t do it for me. At least they hit a home run with Better Call Saul.

• Mike M says:

AMC & Sundance are both owned by AMC Networks (co). Joel Stillerman is president of original programming and development for both. If you think a name means the overall budget allocation to each is protected, you’re wrong.

14. LynnH says:

One of the most mesmerizing and compelling shows ever. Every episode is a beautiful and thought-provoking work of art. Perfection. It does feel right to end it with this season, but I will miss it.

15. Kayte CookWatts says:

Amazing show. I am happy it lasted as long as it did.

16. A says:

This is one of the best shows ever. The quality is so much better than the popular shows that get renewed season after season. It probably doesn’t move fast enough for the average thrill seeking tv watcher. I love it though and I don’t agree that it’s time to cancel. I want more, more, more!!!

17. JVee says:

Love this show. Will miss these characters, and hope we get the tiniest bit of resolution.

18. Shranda says:

I just love this show and I hate to see it end. I just hope when it ends, Daniel is found innocent of all charges. I also would like to the entire family heal with understanding of his journey.

19. Paula says:

Geat Series. This story could have taken off in numerous directions if it was continued. A real loss.

20. Tricia says:

A real loss! – RECTIFY is so much better than the popular shows that get renewed season after season. I really hate that it has to end. I just hope that Daniel is found innocent and the REAL truth is revealed.

21. Garyy S says:

I am okay with it ending as long as they do it right. If Daniel becomes a lumberjack and walks off into the distance i swear to god i’m done watching tv forever.

22. Mary says:

I really hate to see it end. I’ve been a fan from the very first episode. I think it could go on for a few more seasons. I wish they would reconsider and bring it back!!!!

23. Beverly says:

I am definitely sad to see Rectify go. I loved it. I am so tired of all the police and detective shows. Rectify was a breath of fresh air. Couldn’t help but fall in love with the Daniel character.

24. Julie Johnson says:

RECTIFY is a sensitive and fascinating story. Aden Young, Clayne Moore, Abigale Spencer and the rest of the ensemble was well cast. The social and geographic setting was an excellent fit. I am happy to know that the show received industry recognition. Congratulations to Ray McKinnon for pulling it all together. In a day when the violent action-thriller, either crime or spy, has taken over so much of TV programming, I am grateful to have access to a story that involves the emotions and challenges the mind.

I purchased a package from my local cable carrier for the sole purpose of watching the new episodes of the program, hoping for many more. Please continue.

25. Clammy says:

I’ll miss this brilliant show terribly. Acting and writing on a high plane few shows can match. Only Fargo comes to mind. Why do I even watch TV? Great shows end and bad ones not worth the time.

26. Barry Seymour says:

Such an amazing, amazing story. So well told, written, scripted, acted, everything. I find this show utterly compelling and gripping, even though it moves like molasses. So real.

Yes, a story can’t go on forever; that makes it all the sweeter. Looking forward to season 4.

27. Tim says:

Rectify is a terrific show, I wish it could go on

28. Dodie says:

I’m obsessed with anything and everything Rectify. Although I’m thrilled for seasons 3 and 4, I’m not in anyway prepared for the depth of a storyline about the Holden family to end. So here is my solution: I live near Sundance in Utah. Several years ago I was skiing at Sundance and Robert Redford accidentally ran to me. I got a fab meal comp’d and a few dollars to spend in the ski shop. What if he “accidently”ran into me again. Obvi the 2nd time would be ALOT more comp’d, aka a few more seasons. i mean really…if the Kardashians begin their 12 season, why do we have to stop at 4. just sayin….

29. Jeanette Couf says:

The best dramatic show on television. Characters real. Superb acting. The Holden family is spellbinding. Wish the show could go on forever.

30. I love this show. So glad we get this one last finale season. I was not ready for it to end. I want to see Daniel able to survive on his own.

31. Uknowit says:

I love Rectify!!! I need season 4 now!! Come on, give it at least 2 more seasons!

32. Daniel E Jordan says:

I usually don’t post things on stuff like this, but I wanted to say that this show reminds me of some of the things that I’ve went through in the past few years and it’s been very emotional for me. I came out on top in my legal battle as I hope and pray Daniel Holden does too. Keep up the good work Sundance!

33. rightasrainy says:

I love this show so much and I’m just glad it got one more season before it got axed. I think Melvin killed Hannah or at least knows exactly who did. I’m waiting for that to play out in the finale season.

34. edwardsibley says:

Given the stupidity of the general public, It is surprising how much good TV there really is.

I really loved this show.

Shows worth watching :

Shows on the bubble:

True Detetive
    American Horror Story

Promising Start

Night Of

35. expatpud says:

I love this show and would love it to continue but life goes on and let’s just hope they come up with some more great, smart shows that viewers appreciate.

36. Lawguy says:

It’s one of the best quality shows on television in every category. The story line is authentic and impactful All the actors are first rate. . It’s a show I will miss but never forget.

37. Elaine says:

Best show I have ever watched. The writing and acting have moved me deeply. I am going to miss it, but I’ve been looking forward to season 4 and will probably re-watch all the previous episodes as well

38. tanyachi says:

I could write a million storylines for this show….how can such a masterpiece end in only 4 seasons?!

It speaks to anyone who has ever been slighted/wrongfully accused/mistrusted.

39. Molly Boren says:

Rectify is an articulate, carefully crafted and compelling story, enhanced by outstanding actors. We have been waiting (somewhat impatiently) for the return of this complex and compelling story. Please don’t cancel it. We as a television audience continue in the dumbing down world of gratuitous sex and violence and lack of thoughtful plot. We need shows of this caliber. Save Daniel once and for all.

40. Kathy Erickson says:

I love Rectify. Beautifully acted, shot, and directed, Rectify stands as a prime example of how television can surpass movies (Breaking Bad is the original prime example). I hate to see Rectify end. However, if this compelling show can end as perfectly as Breaking Bad did, I can’t complain.