Elementary Moves Sunday Timeslot CBS

CBS Moves Elementary to Sunday, Bumps Beyond Borders Premiere, Sets Rush Hour Debut — Still No POI

Come March, Holmes and Watson will rub elbows with Lockhart-Agos-Lee.

Elementary is moving to Sundays at 10/9c, following The Good Wife, CBS announced Friday.

The Eye net’s Sherlock adaptation, which currently airs Thursdays at 10 pm, will debut in its new timeslot on March 20.

Also included in CBS’ scheduling update: the premiere date for the cop series Rush Hour (Thursday, March 31, at 10 pm) and the delayed start for the Criminal Minds spinoff Beyond Borders (which was originally slated for Wednesday, March 2, but now will bow on Wednesday, March 16, at 10 pm).

In that two-week gap between Code Black‘s Feb. 24 finale season finale and Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders‘ premiere, the network will air special episodes of CSI: Cyber on March 2 and 9 at 10 pm.

There was no mention of Person of Interest or its still-unscheduled Season 5 premiere in CBS’ announcement.

All told, the scheduling changes look like this:

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 2
8 pm Survivor
9 pm Criminal Minds
10 pm CSI: Cyber (Special airing)

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 9
8 pm Survivor
9 pm Criminal Minds
10 pm CSI: Cyber (Special airing)

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 16
8 pm Survivor
9 pm Criminal Minds
10 pm Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders (Updated premiere date)

SUNDAY, MARCH 20
8 pm Madam Secretary
9 pm The Good Wife
10 pm Elementary (New timeslot)

THURSDAY, MARCH 31
8 pm The Big Bang Theory
8:30 pm Life in Pieces
9 pm Mom
9:30 pm Angel From Hell
10 pm Rush Hour (Series premiere)

Have thoughts on the scheduling news? Tell us about them in the comments!

1. Ro says:

This could help Elementary. Downton Abbey will be finished, so there shouldn’t be any real competition.

• Denise White says:

death slot will never help anyone

• Mr. Tran K says:

It should but don’t count out on Quantico (ABC) just yet when it resumes their first season on March 6th.

• Mike B. says:

Yeah, but they should move it there earlier. With only a few episodes left, people will miss the move until it is too late. I think they’re going to cancel it. I like it, but only saw 2 episodes of this season so far. Doesn’t hold a candle to Sherlock, sadly

• tvjunkie says:

In the DVR/On-Demand age, it will be mainly just old people and technically incompetent people who still watch live or still use a VCR that have to worry about when a show moves. It’s far less of a hassle that you might miss when a show moves these days.

• Simon Jester says:

True, but I find Sunday television viewing to be fairly crowded (even *without* X-Files coming in a few weeks). I will perhaps DVR Elementary and watch it later in the week… but the network should be prepared for overnight viewing figures to take a hit.

• Mary S says:

The Cyclops Network is hoping for a drop in the viewing figures so they can justify cancelling it. The last timeslot on Sunday evenings is what they consider the “dump site” – every show they have put in that slot has been cancelled within one season. They have done this for years. Even if it’s not football season, they air basketball and golf, both of which take longer than the time the Can’t-Be-Sensible programmers give them. So they run long and everything that follows starts late and the last show gets “delayed” or just dropped altogether for the evening. They do it on purpose so that unless a fan is really aware and sets the DVR to record for an hour or so after the scheduled end, we get cheated out of the last 30 minutes of the episode, IF they bother to put it on at all.
            I used to think it was because they were stupid and inefficient, but now I see that it is a deliberate act on their part to tank the ratings.

• SC Ritums says:

It’s amazing how you think “old people” are technically incompetent. Well sonny. ..you are off base and definitely looking rather ignorant making comments as you just did. As a matter of fact it is our generation who made it possible to use all of the cool
          tech gidgets.
          More important you too will grow old and will be reading
          Ignorant comments about you.

• Boiler says:

Well aren’t you a real jerk Mr. Junkie. This kind of thinking will give you a miserable life. Also if you don’t watch live Nielsen doesn’t much care about you anyway. Kimberly please get this guy out of here

• really? Because ondemand can take a week to post, and the FF is disabled so you’re stuck with commercials . also if you try to dvr the time bump will cause you to miss the end, if it doesn’t cancel the show completely or cause them to put a rerun on instead of a new episode. (all things that happened to The Mentalist) and if they bump it for a repeat there will be no new episode on demand to watch so you are just ignorant of reality.

• Mary S says:

I have learned to set the DVR to record ALL shows after 60 minutes to record at least an hour after the scheduled end time, that way, even if it ends late, you can still see the ending. And yes, I too am often ready to buy enough shares in the network so that I can fire the programming director and get some good shows in good time slots and fill the bad slots with the trash … but I’m not that rich. All I can do is go to their website and complain LOUDLY, but that means nothing to them, so we are stuck with losing our favorite shows and learning the joys of Amazon Prime, Hulu and Netflix for reruns …but even THEN we can’t get what we need because the greedy-guts execs want us to pay them ALSO for the privilege of watching certain of their shows in reruns…they call it CBS All-Access and you can sign up for a “free trial” after which you have to pay them. And those shows are not available anywhere else…Is it better to have loved and lost, or never to have loved at all?

• This is terrible it will constantly be delayed or cancelled for sports, not just football, any sport will take priority, the same happened to the Mentalist to the point where they bumped the Red John reveal for sports. this is the end for Elementary. Another show I love will now die at the hands of CBS.

• Mary says:

…except in 2017 when Sherlock and John will be up against Sherlock and Joan (if they ever get around to filming it…

• Brian says:

Not really cause they still have to deal with the walking dead

2. Paul says:

Kiss CSI: CYBER Goodbye. Elementary maybe 1 more year for Syndication. If Not You Can Kiss That Goodbye As Well.

• ABG says:

I think both are dead. Elementary is fine, I like it, but I’m fine with it finishing this year because it’s not really must see TV.

3. Deion says:

What is CBS playing at?! Bring POI back!

4. Joe says:

Are they waiting until they cancel CSI: Cyber before they schedule Person of Interest?

5. Seriously…this is the worst for Person Of Interest fans….not even like it’s after 1 seasons or 2 but 4 damn years and a major cliffhanger…come on CBS!

• MissEllys says:

I don’t understand it. POI had high ratings its last season. It seems strange they would make it a summer show. Did one of the cast members sue them or something?

• It must have something to do with WB co-owning it and them being more faithful to full CBS shows, that and they reached the 100 episode syndication already so they aren’t driving to get episodes out right away, it’s ridiculous

• POI had horrible ratings last season, it averaged only a 1.53 demo. Season 3 averaged 1.96, Season two averaged 2.9, season 1 averaged 3.1. POI was the lowest rated CBS show to get renewed last season. It only got renewed so the could wrap up the cliff hanger, CBS did not want a fan revolt (most of POI viewers are out of the demo range). Another season of 1.53 in the fall or spring would kill the show off for good, but a 1.53 in the summer POI could scrap out another 13 episodes for a season 6

6. Ingrid says:

So what does this mean for CSI Cyber after the “special airings”?

7. ChicagoDan says:

Cyber still has 12 episodes left. It airs this week and then not again until Jan. 31. Then Super Bowl and Grammys. Are they not going to air all of them? That probably only leaves about four weeks before Elementary moves there. Elementary got its four seasons. I’m surprised they are waiting until March to move it. Even without HTGAWM, the ratings barely budged – even though it does well in DVR.

8. Reba42 says:

So, is 2 Broke Girls’ season supposed to be over before Survivor starts in March?

• Mr. Tran K says:

CBS isn’t 100% sure on 2BG but it will depend whether or not Angel From Hell gets canceled and it’s likely that it should get back in the 9:30 pm Thursday night time slot where it left off. Maybe 2BG gets renewed for a possible final season.

9. SciFiFan says:

It’s looking more and more like CBS will keep Person of Interest off the shelf until late Spring or early Summer. Argh!

10. Steven says:

Will there be leftover CSI Cyber’s for the Summer or will the season be over by then?

11. EJ says:

POI won’t be on until summer. It’s taking either the time slot of Extant or Under The Dome. A crew member told me it was common knowledge during the final weeks of shooting last month.

• Keith says:

I doubt a crew member knows when CBS is going to air shows.

• percysowner says:

That makes a kind of sense. They want to kill the show on the network and how better to do that then schedule it in the summer. My worry is that all this is keeping the producers from trying to shop the show to alternate outlets. I mean the chance of it being picked up is slim to none, but still I would like them to have a chance to try.

• The show is already dead it just does not know it. A 1.53 demo (s4’s avg) is horrible for a fall show. 1.53 in the summer could resurrect it for a season 6. A summer slot is the best shot we have for another season, sure the wait sucks but if it gives up a chance at another season I’ll happily wait.

12. Kevin Graham says:

Will we have to wait until Person of Interest is released on DVD to see the final season?

13. Troy says:

FYou, CBS, I want my show back!

14. DAG says:

Maybe a summer run for POI might be ok? Maybe I’m delusional? I just miss John, Harold, Root, Shaw, Lionel and Bear!

15. Jennifer says:

Are they burning off Cyber? If they are, I won’t bother watching the couple i have on my DVR, I’ll just remove it from the rotation.

16. Jennifer says:

I still have the 2nd half of last season’s POI on my DVR. Haven’t watched it. Really REALLY hated the Samaritan story line. I’ve got to find a time to binge it. Ugh.

17. D.Holland says:

What the hell CBS? We want our POI don’t deny us, PLEASE!!!!!

18. Denise White says:

nooo Elementary, i hope the show will be renewed

19. jon says:

No idea why CBS is waiting to put POI on the schedule.

• Mr. Tran K says:

Think there’s a 51% chance that POI comes back in the Summer even though CBS canceled Under the Dome and Extant.

20. Luis says:

Face facts: POI is dunzo, awaiting a summer burnoff

21. Mr. Tran K says:

People are still mad or upset at CBS that POI is still MIA. Really hope the TV version of Rush Hour is going to be a disaster (maybe I like the movie version better).

22. Normandy says:

If POI season 5 were 13 standalone episodes about them trying to stop homicides and then everyone goes home happy at the end, CBS would’ve been all over it.

23. mary says:

Still say POI comes on in the summer.

24. RichCD says:

Matt, I know this is a stretch, but do you think its possible that CBS is holding POI back to eventually movie it to CBS All-Access? Certainly, the new Star Trek won’t be the only thing original on the service. POI would really fit the model, and it could bode well for any chance at additional seasons.

25. JenJ says:

CBS, how about doing something totally relevant to what fans are asking, put Persons of Interest back on the schedule? Perhaps one of the best series that the network has had for years has been getting the shaft this past year, with not even a word about what is happening with it, nor when it will at least be allowed to seen by viewers, and CBS is choosing to ignore POI while putting on a totally new series with no interest. What the &#%@ is wrong with the network?

26. Boiler says:

Like the Elementary move unless Nashville goes there too. For an earlier poster Elementary already in syndication. Seems dumb for a new show to premier opposite ABC’s juggernaut but I’ll take it.

27. Cynthia says:

I am SERIOUSLY missing my Person of Interest series! Come on CBS :0(

• Mr. Tran K says:

Stop whining and complaining Cynthia. CBS still doesn’t have the brains to do so on when POI returns for the new season. The new head of the network who replaced Nina Tassler better do something.

• James says:

It is syndicated on WGN America.

28. judy says:

So what happens to NCIS Cyber

29. prish says:

The husband says, “Oh no! That’s what they did to Vegas.” We are concerned about this in our household because Elementary is one of the best things on TV, and once again, we fans have to hold our breath. We’re hanging onto the fact that The Good Wife (which we never watch) is on Sunday, also.

30. matty says:

This sounds like CSI; Cyber is clearly being burned off?

31. Mary S says:

@Kimberly Roots, @Michael Ausiello, @Matt Webb Mitovich (or whomever can answer the questions!) – Have they cancelled CSI:Cyber?? With two “special airings” of the show on an off-night are they burning off the final episodes of the show? Or, could they be testing a new time for the new season?
    And are they planning to cancel Elementary? Sunday night has come to be (in my opinion) the elephant graveyard: the time slot for dying shows.
    >>>>One more thing: can you talk some sense into the Can’t Be Sensible network and convince them to plan the timing of the Sunday night shows properly? They need to provide at least an hour of flex-time interviews after the supposed ending of the sporting event to accommodate a clean start-time for the rest of the evening’s programming. If the game ends at 6:45, they can talk about it until 7:00, then start the evening on the hour. They do sometimes set the schedule back by 30 minutes, but that is usually still not enough time. PLEASE!!! The games keep going into overtime which makes everything else start later than the schedule/ Guide indicates, and it messes up the DVR (which records by the published Guide) horribly!!!
    I have been writing them for years about this issue, but I am only one viewer and who cares what one viewer thinks? But YOU, on the other hand, are a business insider, a professional in the field, with millions of followers. Hopefully, your opinion would mean more than mine…
    I know this is long, but I would truly appreciate whatever assistance you can provide, and I am certain I am not the only one!

32. Mary S says:

So now the “Closed-Eye” network is moving Elementary to the dump site? That Sunday night time-slot ( the one that CSI:Cyber was thrown) is where they put all the shows they are getting ready to cancel. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THOSE CAN’T-BE-SENSIBLE EXECS??? They are getting rid of the few remaining shows that I really enjoy…and I know I can’t be the only one with this reaction…it looks like they are aiming their programming at 12-year-olds and ignoring the needs for intelligence, non-potty humor, and engaging actors and screenwriters.
    If they keep this up, I will be left with nothing but the Food Network, Amazon Prime, Hulu and Netflix for my entertainment needs!!

33. Rain says:

WHY are they moving Elementary? I hate shows on Sunday night, and I have way too many things already recording that night. I don’t understand why the networks constantly move things around.

34. Jim J. says:

If Elementary gets a fifth season in 2016-17, I think it’ll most likely stay at the Sunday-at-10 “death slot”. Plus, if the late-afternoon NFL game runs long, the 10pm program may not air at all, and because of this, I doubt “Elementary”‘s season 5 will have 24 episodes like all of the previous episodes; A 20-22-episode order is more likely.

Also, “Elementary” is currently the least-watched scripted series on CBS, with 5.6 million viewers and a 1.0 in the 18-49 demo.

35. Jim Murray says:

Well we see the CBS is at it again, every time they have the show they want to get rid of they move it to 9 o’clock Central on Sunday. What they did to CSI, is now being done to CSI cyber. I do have our DVR programmed for a lot of extra time on Sunday night but we really shouldn’t have to. Maybe 15-20 minutes after the football game and sometimes it runs an hour later and I have noticed that a few times this fall CSI cyber was never shown.

36. David Scott says:

Per IMDB.COM The Odd Couple doesn’t premier until April…is that a sign that CBS isn’t considering it for renwel for the 2016/2017 season?

37. Mark Power says:

That sucks for Elementary.Its a good show and now on Sunday night. to be pushed around by the NFL.You can’t DVR it ,it may start at 10-10:30 pm and end at 11:30 just like csi cyber

38. cylb says:

Elementary is a favorite show of mine but Sundays is “The Walking/Talking Dead” night. As much as I love Elementary, I’ve been with The Walking Dead for 6 years on Sunday nights. I will have to catch Elementary “On Demand” for the time being.

39. Marie Johnson says:

10 pm on Thursday moving to Sunday nights is always a death sentence for that series. Look at Mentalist for example. CSI Las Vegas (from Wed.)for another. Always bumped for football for later times so viewers drop off and lose interest. If Elementary is working where it’s at, why move it?

40. I really wish CBS would leave “Elementary” on Thursday night.

41. jackiejr says:

way to tank the series CBS….idiots!

42. lorraine clarkk says:

Leave Elementary alone,put new show on Sunday night.My opinon,new shows are no good.

43. Imogene Sellers says:

I like Elementary, Person of Interest, and Outsiders. Please add to CBS lineup.

44. R says:

Walking dead and then elementary sounds GREAT 2 me!!!!!

45. Denise Sforza says:

I have missed two episodes of Elementary because Madame Secretary runs into the time slot. Sometimes if I’m lucky, I’m able to go online to see the last part of the missed episode or the entire thing! Very annoying! Tonight the entire episode from 10-11 was not aired because MS ran during the time slot! What’s going on!?! The guide indicates that Elementary is supposed to be on during that time, but it’s NOT!

• Jennifer says:

Welcome to sports overrun. I have learned to tape for at least an hour after a show airs on Sunday night due to football or basketball or whatever. This time it was golf. GOLF!!!! Really? You have GOT to be kidding me. Run the overage on one of the 100s of other sports channels that are out there. Stop messing with my Sunday nights.