Scandal Abortion Table Read

Scandal's Kerry Washington: Olivia's 'Different' in Wake of Abortion, Breakup

Get ready for a drastically altered Olivia Pope when Scandal returns next month.

Speaking to reporters Thursday at the Television Critics Assoc. winter press tour, where she was promoting her role as Anita Hill in the HBO biopic Confirmation, Kerry Washington teased that Olivia has “definitely changed” in the wake of November’s back-to-back abortion/breakup bombshells.

“What happened at the end of the winter finale [represented] a huge decision for her,” shared the actress, “and she’s a different woman because of it.”

Scandal resumes its fifth season on Thursday, Feb. 11.

1. Cena Gomez says:

I don’t buy it. The same writers still can’t write for the lead character. She’ll be the same…a hot mess personally and wishy washy professionally.

2. Brian says:

I’ll be surprised if we see much of a change in her character. For whatever reason, the writers aren’t showing much growth to most of these characters outside of Quinn and Mellie.

3. niloofar says:

aside from the abortion and her father even if Olivia kills his two remaining kids with her own hands Fitz will be like come here sweet baby, lets go have network tv sex. like when he thought Jake killed his son he wanted him dead but when he found out it was Papa Pope he was suddenly not grieving any more and marking his territory with Jake and his creepy you know you want to kiss in hallway. my problem with the episode is it took the important reproductive rights issue into another Olitz breakup that won’t last.

ps. i don’t care about her lovelife anymore, she’ll go back and forth between Jake and Fitz until series finale then goes to Fitz for good.

4. Bryan says:

I have faith in the writers. They turned Grey’s Anatomy to another good direction after that Derek mess.

5. Mak says:

As long as her & Fitz are over for a while..then I’m good. She should stay single for the rest of the season. How about something different like a “bromance” between Liv and Mellie.

6. ? says:

I won’t be back. There’s nothing good left on this show, it’s all destroyed. And to top it all off Papa Pope is STILL ALIVE! Well suppose I’ll miss Mellie, but that’s all.

7. Jewels says:

Here’s hoping some of the Olivia we love comes back…because her storyline for a while has made her extremely unlikeable…and I LOVE Kerry…

8. William says:

Scandal needs to pull it together because this is shaping up to be the worst season yet. The show hasn’t been able to top S2 and it has lost so much momentum. It’s no longer exhilarating as it evolved into a circular mess.

• Cena Gomez says:

I actually enjoyed Season 5 overall, but then Shonda’s obsession with B613 and Joe Morton returned to ruin everything. There is no logic, even in fiction, for a sitting President Killer Tom to be set free. Mellie knows Rowan ordered Tom to kill Jerry and she helped Olivia set him free. All because Shonda wants Joe free and out so that he can bore us with another one of his monologues.

9. Mary says:

…until she’s not and she starts sleeping with the President again. This show is treading on thin ice with me.

10. Depressed says:

I am not sure what the writers were thinking, but season 5 was just disgusting to watch. How do you go from this character loving this man for 4 straight season to her laying up on a table having an abortion for him. Shondra you and your writers saddened me. And Kerry you have a voice you should have used it.

11. Kings queen says:

Not into scandal anymore. Was so hooked to season 1 and 2 I watched them many times. I really thought season 5 was going to get it together. But no the boring joe Morton and B613 was back!! The abortion was so unrealistic I couldn’t believe it. All we want is to see Olivia and Fitz make it with interesting side issues😍there are so many interesting story lines available but Scandal can’t seem to get it together and frankly many of my friends and I are ready to move on to some of the really good new shows

• depressed says:

Shondra and her writers better pull and Dallas when Patrick slept an entire season. That to me is the only way they will be able to redeem them self from a horrible season 5. If not a see the ratings going extremely down.

12. lisa thompson says:

Whatever done with Scandal…SR destroyed a good show #boycott#solidarityforTony

13. Angie says:

Olivia had an abortion so that she could go back to drinking wine, eating popcorn and sleeping around. So the only thing that she will “change” is her shoes and her sheets….pssshh!

14. Joe Dugan says:

Will my niece Kelli Kirkland play a major role in the kitchen