Exclusive
Deadwood Reunion Movie

Deadwood Reunion Movie 'Is Going to Happen,' Promises HBO President

Reports of a Deadwood comeback have not been greatly exaggerated. Quite the opposite, in fact.

HBO programming president Michael Lombardo confirmed to TVLine that he personally gave series creator David Milch the green light to resurrect the acclaimed yet painfully short-lived Western.

“David has our commitment that we are going to do it,” says Lombardo. “He pitched what he thought generally the storyline would be — and knowing David, that could change. But it’s going to happen.”

The exec says that the revival — which would take the form of a movie versus a limited series — was born out of a “palpable” sense he had that Milch “has something left unsaid” with regard to Deadwood, adding “I’ve known him for a while and it feels like it’s something he’s not done talking about.”

Timing wise, Lombardo says Milch has another project he’s currently working on, “But the understanding is that when he is done with that he will turn his attention to [writing the] script for the Deadwood film.”

And what about the potential scheduling nightmare that awaits trying to corral the show’s busy, in-demand cast? “I’m going to leave that in David’s hands,” Lombardo says with a smile. “He’s confident he will be able to.

“The cast is unbelievably [tight],” he adds. “Some casts and creators form a bond that becomes relevant for the rest of their lives. This was a defining moment for a lot of them.”

1. Britta Unfiltered says:

It does seem like the cast would drop everything they’re doing to film this. I’m going to miss Jim Beaver though. I also wonder if Alma will be around, because her character was supposed to have left town per Hearst’s threats, right?

2. Sheryl says:

Omg!! Finally. I can’t wait. *does happy dance*

3. Michael F Dixon Sr. says:

We the family of Deadwood background players never lost fath that this would happen. At this moment some of us are in tears realizing that we are not gonna make it back on the show. To far away and to broke. But our loss is some one else’s gain. We had our day in the sun. Gun shop owner and Bella Union employee.

• Jill says:

Mr. Dixon, I remember you! I never lost hope either. :) I am a jaded, cynical viewer usually, but Deadwood was the show for me, really swept me away. Never loved a show like that before, or since. Each and every member of the cast was absolutely fantastic, and you could tell everyone loved being a part of it as much as we loved watching it. Thank you for that.
      I do hope something works out so everyone can be on, heck, I’d even pitch in on a gofundme for that! So damn excited for this.

• me says:

Bella Union employee? Did you help fill Mose full of lead? Were you one of Tollivers “cappers”? I hope you somehow find your way back to Deadwood.

• We’ll find a way to get you out here Mike. Even if we have to take up a collection like we did Russell. I can’t have my gun shop partner not be here. It’ll get figured out.

4. Sara says:

Well, this is certainly exciting news!!!

5. Spelvin says:

Never going to happen.

6. Douglas Pasz says:

I literally no longer give a damn about anything else that may happen in my life, to any of you , to this country, or to the world…as long as this gets made and long as I live long enough to see it. The second it ends the whole world can burst into flames for all I care.

7. Carl Virden says:

I too am happy that Deadwood might be revived, even if just for a movie. And, as a former background player on the show, I would love to be a part of it. Many of us are still close friends and we would jump at the chance to reunite on film.

8. Carly says:

YESSSSSSSSSSS

9. tomus225 says:

YEAH!! SUPA! YES I’M SHOUTING!! MOre of Timothy in a hat!! I’ve died and gone to HEAVEN!

10. MMD says:

YES – there is a God! My favourite all time show (once I got past the profanity) full of incredibly talented character actors with dialogue from the genius of David Milch. I’m sure that many of the cast would drop everything or rearrange their schedules to do a movie.

It has always been apparent that the cast has remained close simply by the number of actors who either guest starred or did cameos on Justified (which imho was seriously under-rated).

I still judge every other show by the standard set by Deadwood. As much as I loved Breaking Bad, it still wasn’t Deadwood and I always refer to Hell on Wheels as Deadwood lite.

If it wasn’t 4 am I would be up doing my happy dance!!!!!!!!!!! Simply cannot wait!!!!! This news has made me such a happy lady who loves and only watches quality tv.

11. Whatever says:

Fantastic News !!!
    Have to admit I didn’t think we were ever gonna hear Swearengen Swearin again.

12. Hege says:

I hope this happenes!!!

13. WaPopWa says:

Mixed but mostly good feelings. Deadwood remains the single best piece of video entertainment I’ve ever seen. I tend to run through it once a year and am always disappointed anew that it never quite finishes despite Hearst leaving town. Will be a ‘must see’

14. Walkie says:

Best news so far of 2016. The fans of this show deserve a proper send off. I hope they do a couple of two hour movies.

15. danin says:

One of my all time favorites. I will relish it when we get it.

16. suprwife says:

Yes! Yes! Yes!

With David Milch currently working on something else and not having started writing this yet, my fear is that we are still entirely too far away from this particular reality. But I will continue, as I have lo’ these many years, to live in hope of a return of all my favorite characters (less Ellsworth, God rest his soul) and my favorite television show of all time.

(Also, selfishly, I have to say that I’m so excited to see so many people feel the same way.)

17. buzzsaw says:

Keep a show like Glee and dump a great one like Deadwood. What the hell was HBO thinking? I know I know Glee wasn’t on HBO

18. John says:

Really?

Probably the most overrated show in a long time.
    Somebody should tell some of the “experts” who frequent sites like this that occasionally the emperor has no clothes…and this is one of those times.

Silly, overblown…”let’s have everyone swear a lot to maker it edgy”.

• JKK says:

Must be a Glee fan. The swearing was factual not to be edgy. Historically true to the period. Kinda like Glee huh John.

• Jim Davis says:

Frankly, your distaste for the show says more about you than the production . My condolences.

• Nick says:

Easily the most uninformed, ignorant comment I’ve seen on this site.
      Still, I think you have highlighted something, which is that the coverage and writing about Deadwood tends to be childish, also ignorant, fixated-on-profanity, etc. Clearly that sort of coverage, which misses the point entirely, damages the reputation of the most beautifully written show possibly ever.
      Fixating on Deadwood’s profanity is entirely missing the point. Akin to describing an extravagant, gourmet meal as “crunchy!”
      Name a better show.

• dex says:

Examples, John? Concrete examples of silly overblowness, naked emperors, overratedness — or are you just offended by swearing? Because you sound like a moron.

• me says:

The fact that you think Deadwood is all about cursing shows the limited depths of your vocabulary, opinions, and overall mind.

• Joe Bryant says:

You are very stupid. And no one asked you to watch.

• Robert Samborski says:

I agree with you Joe. Personally, I have come to terms with the fact that enjoyment of many things in life boils down to a matter of taste. I try not to get too upset when someone tells me how they did not like something that I absolutely adored. However, people who cast judgement, telling us, for example, that a show like Deadwood is overrated, do not realize how ignorant such a statement is. It took me several viewings of some of the Deadwood episodes to figure out what was actually being stated (the dialogue was so complex at times). Some folks just can’t handle the show because of the swearing. That’s fine with me, but they should say that they don’t like it because they are offended by the swearing. I’m fine with that (though I wish they would give it another shot, as they may be able to discover the wonders and beauty of the program once they learn to look beyond the swearing facade). But, to label such a carefully (with great care) designed and impeccably-acted program as being overrated or whatever shows that the person making such statements is in fact convinced that his or her taste is actually a truth and not just their opinion or their like/dislike. Very ignorant statement.

19. K H says:

Now I’ll finish the series on DVD. I drag it out because I don’t want it to end!

20. tvjunkie says:

It sounds like this is still at least 2 years away. That leaves plenty of time for something to kill the project.

21. tomus225 says:

John, dahling, imma have to jump in here to ASK you if you didn’t think DEADWOOD was all that and more, why bother posting? It wasn’t for the faint of heart, viewing the “Old West” in a more realistic way was hard for some to take after all the fluff that was handed out over 20+ years of TV. Overrated? Oh Heck no! Under appreciated is more like it! LOOKING FORWARD TO THE MOVIES or Deadwood in whatever form!!!

• me says:

Well said, tomus225. If someone hates Deadwood so much, why post? Especially on a thread that is so obviously pro Deadwood? Probably just a TROLL.

22. Sue berg says:

How about Carnival?

23. rob says:

The only show on par with Deadwood is “The Wire”.

• me says:

So true. The Sopranos (which I also hold in high regard), always gets the accolades. But Deadwood and The Wire were (and still are) the flagship HBO series in my opinion

• me says:

Oh yeah…its not 5:58 a.m. where I live. Its 9:01 a.m. Don’t know why it says that above my comment. Don’t know why it bothered me to the point of posting just to correct it, either.

24. Cora Fadigan says:

I cannot wait! Easily the best show ever on television! I actually got angry when it was canceled.
    We need more quality programs like this though I suspect it will be a long time if ever to find another show this compelling and addictive.

25. Adam swearengin says:

OMG I cannot believe this I have been waiting for for so long I almost started crying out of Joy I am so happy right now I really never thought this would happen and I hope everybody can make it back! I also hope it’s going to be a five or six hour to park movie because if it’s just an hour and a half I will still be a little bit sad .I know David said he wanted to do something with the great flood and also a fire that happened in his store cool deadwood elsewhere engine bar bar down like three times before he decided not to rebuild it I hope that they will put that in there !yay

26. Rad I was a gem girl season two

27. Working on the show Deadwood changed my life. That’s no overstatement it’s 100% reality. The show’s creator David Milch is one of the most special human beings I’ve ever had the pleasure to meet, let alone work for. He paid for about eight of the regular background to attend acting school with a top flight acting coach. He did this for us all three seasons we worked on the show. So when he says, “This was a defining moment for a lot of them.” – he’s right on. He’ll get everyone back together.

• me says:

I certainly hope he does! Honestly, I’m giddy with excitement about this film being made. I have never been touched by a TV show like I was ( and still am) by Deadwood. Hell, I don’t even watch TV anymore…it ALL pales in comparison to Deadwood. I have read up on all of the history of the actual Deadwood since watching, and I just keep running all of the possible story arcs and ideas that Mr. Milch will implement. Like the flood, or the fire(s)…the only one I wish altered is the way that Al Swearingen died (supposedly) in real life. Something about being a destitute and dying trying to catch a train. Anyway, I’m rambling because I’m actually conversing with a cast member. All of you have shown me that television, unencumbered, can be a very powerful medium. Thank you.

• The Origins of the Term Cathouse
        There are some amazing stories in the book “Deadwood the Golden Years” There is a story about a fella that use to frequent the whorehouses in town. The girl he visited one time made a request. She wanted a cat as a pet and a mouser so she asked him if he’d be willing to buy one for her when he visited town next. Well, he thought about this for a bit, and came to the conclusion that if one girl wanted a cat, then probably there would be others whom wanted one too. So when he pulled into Lead, he found some street kids and told them he would give a nickle for every cat they brought to him the next morning.

The next morning he showed up and there were cats everywhere! The boys had grabbed every feline they could find. They had house cats, feral cats, Kittens, cats of every kind. All told there were about 80 cats. True to his word, he paid them, and then set about building a cage on his buckboard to house them. He rode out of town with so much noise from the caterwauling in the back. It must have been a sight to see.

He managed to get just outside of town when the wagon flipped over! Cats EVERYWHERE! The miners in the area helped him coral the cats for the price of having one themselves. Again, the sight of miners chasing down cats must have been wild.

He pulled into Deadwood with the wagon full of cats, and proceeded to sell them. Some were purebreds and he sold those for $10 each, others like tabby’s her sold for five. The next day he went out to his wagon and all the cats were gone. It was thought someone had either liberated them out of jealousy or the chinese might have absconded them for food. Whatever the reason they were gone. The cats he sold to the girls in the whorehouse were in every room. That’s how the Whorehose came to be called a Cathouse.

• me says:

Well damn, I thought I knew just about everything regarding Deadwood. Goes to show that one never stops learning. Thanks for the book recommendation! I’ll definitely be checking that one out. And here’s to all of you…the cast if Deadwood. And thank you for taking the time to speak to us and respond to me. Haza!

28. Raymundo says:

Ya era tiempo!

29. mark milhous sr says:

Hearst winning last round was not fitting. How could SweraGen and company alow that?

• me says:

They didn’t allow it. They played the hand they were dealt the best way they knew how. The Hearst combine was an unstoppable force back then (in real life too, just not so nefarious and violent)… The problems that they will undoubtedly face in the coming film will make Hearst look like child’s play. Read up on some actual Deadwood history to get a sneak peak at what David Milch may have in store for us. Itll be worth the read. And if you’re anything like me, Itll get you pumped about the possibilities for the movie!

30. Barbara Hennon says:

I loved Deadwood. The actors were all outstanding, which is why they are doing so well after. I am looking forward to a reunion show. I’m sure it will be great.

31. Walkie says:

Sadly it looks like, once again, the Deadwood movie is DOA. It’s such a shame as the fans and the cast and crew deserve a proper ending to the story. SUCKS!!

• ROBERT SAMBORSKI says:

Walkie – why are you saying that? Up until now, i have been under the impression that the movie will happen – just a matter of when.

• me says:

Where did you get this information? I have been keeping very up to date on any news involving the Deadwood movie, and I have not read anything about it not happening, or being “DOA”. I have only read articles involving cast members professing their love for the show and their absolute willingness to give it another go.