Exclusive
NCIS Weatherly Leaving 2015

Michael Weatherly Leaving NCIS

NCIS favorite Michael Weatherly is exiting the CBS drama after 13 seasons, TVLine can exclusively confirm.

The actor will make his final appearance as Special Agent Tony DiNozzo at the end of this season.

“After 13 years on NCIS, Michael Weatherly is leaving the show at the end of this season,” reads a statement from CBS. “He is a valued part of the CBS family, and the immense charm and talent he brings to the screen as ‘Very’ Special Agent Tony DiNozzo has helped make NCIS what it is today – the No. 1 drama in the world.

“We thank Michael for all of his contributions to this successful franchise,” the statement continues, “and look forward to continuing to develop projects NCIS-weatherly-leaving-quotewith him as part of our ongoing development deal.”

Weatherly, whose decision it was to part ways with the series, immediately responded to TVLine’s reporting, saying on Twitter, “DiNozzo is a wonderful, quixotic character and I couldn’t have had more fun playing him over the past 13 seasons…. [CBS Corp. CEO] Les Moonves and CBS gave me the opportunity of a lifetime. I will miss the amazing crew and cast, who are like family to me, and to the fans all over the world — THANK YOU, it’s been a fantastic ride!”

David McCallum, who plays Ducky, let slip about Weatherly’s long-planned exit in a Q&A with the UK’s Vulture Hound magazine, saying, “DiNozzo, played by Michael Weatherly, we’ve told people a long time ago, is leaving at the end of the season. So the writers have to decide what to do when one of the four members of the original cast leaves.”

McCallum and Weatherly, along with frontman Mark Harmon and Pauley Perrette, represent the well-watched drama’s remaining original players.

How would you write DiNozzo’s exit storyline? Does he head off to lead his own NCIS team? Share your thoughts on Weatherly’s departure in Comments.

Watch Weatherly accept his TVLine
Ultimate Law Enforcement Crushes tournament award:

1. King says:

Why is he leaving?

• Will Sanborn says:

Thirteen seasons is a long time for an actor. Might just be he wants to try something new. Or maybe take a break. Imagine the hours everyone puts into the show. Or maybe he feels Tony DiNozzo can’t go anywhere else now.

• dj says:

Or his two DWI arrests

• Will Sanborn says:

Regardless if it is or not, it’s a personal decision that we don’t need to know the answer to.

• Jbj says:

One arrest, two counts.

• Karyn Hilton says:

I hope he learns from his experience with the law. It is a serious offense that can hurt others. We don’t know what demons he may have. Like us, no one is perfect. I wish him well personally and professionally.

• Beckie Smith says:

Agree leave his personal life out of this ,he is a great actor . Big damn deal @ least it’s not because he raped, drugs, sex tapes. Oh but that’s OK that’s reality TV. We don’t get to hear the word f–k on this show

• Kat says:

He is human just like everyone else. So no one has the right to throw stones.

• Krista says:

You’re so right! Like none of you or anyone in your family has the perfect background check I’m sure! Personal aside. He made us laugh and enjoy the show! Am I right?

• Cam Byrd says:

Absolutely! We are all human and Michael deserves dignity! It’s not like he got a DWI as a real NCIS agent! His talent as Dinozzo will not be easy shoes to fill!

• Abigail says:

Amen! I completely agree!

• Cheryl says:

I couldn’t agree with you more. He’s human!.ALL humans make mistakes. Hopefully, he can solve his problems and come back to the show down the road. It’s not going to be the same without Michael on the show. However, the show will still be good. There are many GOOD actors on NCIS. Whatever Michael does, I wish him nothing but the best for him and his family!!

• Wendy C. says:

I respect David decision and because of that respect, I will not ask why he’s decided to leave the show. I will say that the show will NEVER be the same!!!
            I truly wish he would rethink his decision.
            I LOVE some of the suggestions about he and Ziva reuniting and heading up another NCIS division add a happy married couple.
            I’ve read many great ideas. I have many thoughts and ideas, as do many others out there.
            You will be greatly missed David (aka) very Special Agent Tony Dinozzo.

All the best wishes, thoughts and prayers to you and yours. Best of luck on your new adventures.

PS. To all the negative people and their DUI COMMENTS, until you become perfect (which well will never EVER happen) stop casting stones. To error is human to forgive is divine. You are not the judge, jury and executioner!!!!

• Beckie Smith says:

Well said, if folks weren’t throwing stones someone would be looking @ them

• gregory says:

Exactly

• Eh says:

Who cares about his DUI arrests? People make mistakes. He’s not actually Very Special Agent Dinozzo in real life. Thirteen seasons is a long time for an actor and by all accounts- he gave the show plenty of notice.

I hope his character gets his own team in Europe and married Ziva.

• Patricia Hillman says:

I said that myself. He goes looking for the love if his life. Marries her and they do special returns as a married couple. Perhaps she is running Massad now? Tony not knowing, joins her. A new show!

• Brad says:

YES!!!!! I would love for him to “find” Ziva and them get married and have their own team!!

• Karen Armstrong says:

• Mary Young says:

I agree with you

• Glenna says:

Yes I agree.

• Melody says:

A trite and ridiculous cliche idea.

• Debbie says:

We could only wish . . . he really deserves to find that happiness he has been so close to with: Kate, Jeanne & ultimate challenge Ziva. Both characters Tony & Diva have faced major personal losses in their lives. A happy ending, seems to only way to keep the #1 TV drama for how many years on top. I mean come on, Gibbs, Ducky, Abby, none of them has ever gotten that “right one for life”, it’s about time someone on the show does.

• jcp says:

Amennnnnn

• Renee says:

I agree to that((::

• judy says:

I think that would be a great way to end it. I still miss Ziva on NCIS. Then they could have 1 special NCIS a year where they work together.

• Barb says:

This would be my hope. Find Ziva, possible already with a little Dinozzo, they marry and live happily ever after. After all it is make believe and we can always hope for a happy ending.
            Super Fan from Memphis Tn

• Barney says:

I like the notion! But, would David go for it!

• Penny says:

Exactly!!! If he has to leave then that is how it should be.

• debbie miner says:

that would be great

• grace hensley says:

That would be awesome

• Krista says:

I was hoping the same thing!

• Anita says:

Have Tony meet ziva and start a new NCIS in Europe

• Chris says:

If Ziva really cared about Gibbs & the team she would have come to the funeral of
            Gibbs, Sr. or at least called Jethro.

• Craig says:

I like that with Tony and Ziva being together.

• Abigail says:

That would be awesome! Great possibility to see him later if they go that route.

• Charli says:

I wish this too if it’s going to happen. It also leaves an opening for him to return. Don’t kill him off though.

• Marsha Babb says:

Get Ziva back to NCIS Bishop must go. David James Elliott (if not too old) would be similar to Tony but nobody can take his place just like nobody can replace Ziva!

• Jamie says:

I so agree. People we know get dwi but that has nothing to do with his ability to act. Let him be. I will say he will be missed. Just hope they don’t keep losing people or it won’t be worth watching. Losing Ziva was almost enough

• Georgie says:

My hopes exactly!

• Susan ridenour says:

I totally agree. Marry ziva.

• genolandrum says:

The entertainment are searching for a place for this Commodity (harsh but true, its about the money) while he has a ‘following’! Where ever or What ever he does he will b type cast! Making the next ‘Job’ harder to ‘branch out’ but with Movies/T.V. Industry they can work Entertainment Magic and transform any persona, maybe into a voice over for cartoons! ,Commercials,would be a easy leap, for any personality! I would like the Personas of his NCIS Family;

With the Strong Personas of His N.C.I.S., Family and Friends, including his Love, a spin off as Investigator’s (unofficial) doing Black Ops., in the Middle East, especially Israel, a Nation that gets attacked (by Policies and Physically) by All Other Nations In my opinion!

He did a great job as a NCIS Agent, seems to be a bright individual, don’t know his ‘back ground’ opinion based on Persona! The entertainment industry protects the ‘Real Person’ from the Screen Person! 2016

• Susan Biermann says:

I hope Tony takes his own group so that he can at least make appearances occasionally.I think the shows success is due to the chemistry between cast members. Elle is good, but no Ziva.

• Karyn Hilton says:

Reply…DUI’s are a big deal, they hurt the lives of the person who received them, and put others in jeopardy. I wish him well both personally and professional. Don’t judge him, just hope he gets help if it has become a problem. We all have issues.

• bev b says:

Oh yesh. Me too

• Emma says:

If Anthony dinozzo leaves the team I will never watch ncis again Tony is the best actor ever he’s the one that makes the show

• mike doyle says:

I like that idea. The current NCIS Overseas with Gary Sinese is the pits.

• Charlette Blakley says:

I hope the same. I always wanted ziva and dinozzo to get together for him to go to Israel as team leader and marry her would be the good. I will miss Michael weatherly on the show. I have watched ncis from the very first show.

• Sheryl Schot says:

Agreed! Hear, hear!!

• Sandra Garren says:

That would be awesome !

• Tina says:

I hope marries Ziva or at least ends up with her.

• Amy says:

I agree, he is one of the best actors, and he will be missed very much, I’m hoping that they send him off with ziva, married and running his own team somewhere abroad and maybe one day he and ziva will have a special appearance on NCIS because Gibbs and his team need their help with a case, I wish him the best of luck in his future plans

• Temperance says:

He’s rich and can afford a driver for the rest of his life. A DWI means nothing. Frankly, he has to be stone cold bored with the role by now.

• Sharon says:

None of my business

• Colette says:

Nothing to do with it. His leaving was decided long before the Dui

• Victoria says:

I doubt that!

• Jasonvex says:

Seriously. If you haven’t seen the news, half of what he prevents in the show is going down real world. If you ask me, if you aren’t considering living the next yer drunk, that’s you, but I can’t blame him

• Beckie Smith says:

Who gives a rat’s ass.
          What about the REAL crimes going on in Hollywood.
          OK killed his wife. Because he played football , what the Hell Race Card kept him free. Kimmy,& Kayne spew hate everyday. Oh YEAH MrJenmer is Now is Now Woman of the Year?? Your statement is. asinine

• Linda says:

You must be a very unhappy person to feel so much dislike for other people’s lives. It’s also sad that you can sit at a computer and make these comments , but I’m sure you won’t have the nerve to tell any of these people what you think including me in person.

• BECKIE Smith says:

I have no desire to argue with you ,or anyone. It’s obvious that you have chosen the parts of my remarks to have a podium, in which to argue. I Never once requested you to agree with my thoughts.
            We have enough HATE & ugliness in this world. I am so over it. As far as me being Afraid,, I assure you I am NOT. IT’S a place for one to state what they FEEL. I must have missed the part where it stated, I needed one’s Permission.
            Good morning & may YOUR day be filled with Sunshine

• genolandrum says:

Beckie Smith: In my OPINION your response to comments from Linda, Is Spot On! Mr. Michael Weatherly is a young actor with a ‘foot in the door’ of the Small Screen! The Agency that represents Mr. Weatherly has been casting out the ‘Net’ and taking offers for this young person’s future! Upcoming Series called “Bull” for example! My question is: Is Mr. Weatherly a good enough Actor to cast off the ‘Role’ in which he is Famous? 2016 “Seek and you will find the definition of Opinion!”

• Linda says:

Someone maybe using my name but I’m not arguing with you at all, everyone is entitled to they’re own opinion . So whoever is answering for me I wish they would stop.

• aliciarusso says:

But everyone wanted to crucify Cote. Isn’t that funny. The old white men have all the excuses made for them.

• John NYC says:

That old white male had the courtesy to give the show almost a years advance notice.

That courtesy is the difference.

• aliciarusso says:

Great. Please give us your rant about Sasha, who broke her contact in the middle of filming, then everyone whined about it for two years . except, they didn’t. They hired Ziva and took the show to number one.

• John NYC says:

So your complaint isn’t about Weatherly is it? Despite the old white man crack.

Just general whining about an actor who left the show years ago.

• Melody says:

Its called having integrity

• Pete says:

Hi Lucie, forgotten your login details and had to create a new account again?

You know perfectly well that Alexander didn’t “break” her contract – she asked to be released from it, something that is as different from breaking a contract as declining to sign a new one.

• mary says:

Not that I would crucify her, but the difference is he notified them quite awhile ago, & he’s not leaving til the end of the season. Versus Cote who held out, then quit after they had started writing for the new season.

• Elaine says:

Right on, Mary. She let them hang while they wrote episodes, contracted with other actors for planned episodes, arranged for sets – all the behind the scenes stuff that goes into making an episode – and then bailed with basically no notice or consideration. Had she just gone to CBS and Executive Producers and asked for a sabbatical to make her movie, no one would have been hurt. No love lost here for Cote.

• JHoward says:

really sick of hearing this crap

• Roy says:

Get a life, one mistake that we know of and his life is spent under a magnifying glass, I wonder how many mistakes of yours would show under that same magnifying glass.

• Really? says:

You really have some serious issues–seek professional help–now. You hop and skip all over the internet spreading your bile, so much so, people spot you all the time. Wow, pathetic, much?

• Kenneth B Hunnell says:

I never met a white man or white woman.have you ever looked at a piece of paper, that is white, how can you compare the two. Does everything have to equate to race and sex of the individual.
          Has it ever ocured to you, that the network decided to write him out due to his dwi, not his choosing

• Krista says:

Well in the statements I’ve read online it sounds like they plan on working with him in future endeavours, so maybe he’s going to take a leave of some kind and come back to a different or even new series! Idk… but I don’t think it was because of his dui ‘s. That’s my opinion! I think his personal life should be left out of this comment thread, and we should talk about what a great actor he was playing DiNozzo!!!! : )

• Alex says:

Why is this racial must be tiring being you. I’m sad to see him go. Who will they find to pick up the comedic angle of the show. I’m not sure if the show could survive with out him. And you can only say that about two characters on that show Gibbs and DiNozzo.

• Sylvia says:

He is an obnoxious character. Never liked him.

• Robert says:

Sylvia got it right. I never liked him either. Very obnoxious and condicending on camera. GOOD RIDDANCE!

• anna says:

yeah well then you may else Gibbs for being a grump and Ducky for talking to dead people and abby for being weird and MCGee for being a geek ,they all play their characters the way they are suppose to be and doing a really good job. The only one who was irritating was ziva and she didnt really want tony anyway. I always thought he could do better.

• Iris says:

I disagree GIBBS and DINOZZO are NCIS

• Krista says:

I agree! That’s how his part’s been written! He doesn’t mean those things. He thinks McGee is his best friend and he gives him grief all the time! Its humor!! Ever heard of it? Lol

• Joe says:

No one ‘wants’ to leave a no.1 TV show. Probably contract disputes or maybe he’ll get his own series (which I doubt because it will flop). They do not put in a lot of hours. Maybe 5 or 6. And if they put in more, then they are pretty bad actors not to master their roles after a dozen years. The directors, producers, gaffers, contractors, stuntmen put in a LOT of hours. The stars catch up on their sleep in their million dollar motor homes. Then they go home and go to restaurants/clubs ’til the wee hours.

• Al says:

Your right about the hard work the production team put into making the show. And they deserve most of the credit. But on a daily basis the actors spend closer to 8-10 hours not 5-6. This is because the director wants different angles. Or They see the playback and reshoot it for whatever reason. You’d be surprise how long it takes to shoot 1 hour of footage. I do also agree that they spend a lot of time in their trailers that’s because they don’t clock in form 9 to 5 like the rest of us.

• Catherine says:

He leave because he wants to save his marriage and to stop drink that’s why he leaving NCIS

• lawrence thompson says:

he misses Ziva

• JOYCE EDWARDS says:

I LOOK FORWARD EVERY TUESDAY NIGHT TO WATCH NCIS TONY IS MY FAVORITE I DONT KNOW IF I WILL WATCH IT AFTER HE IS GONE HAD A HARD TIME WITH THE NEW GIRL STILL DONT LIKE HER

• Hank says:

OR maybe he made enough money $250k/wk to stop and not appear greedy – never mind!

• Every actor wants to do something different in their careers…. at some point.

• aliciarusso says:

Yes, and I’d it’s Ziva, you spend two years saying nasty thing about her her. Can’t wait to see your lunatic rants about Michael. He is a criminal to you. Harmon hates him. Time for you to make up nasty lies and repeat them nonstop.

• Really? says:

Only nasty lies showing up are yours. Give it a rest–and try to remember the story ISN’T about anyone BUT Michael Weatherly. I really wish I could mark some people as spam.

• Another Matt says:

It’s the fact that Cote left the show on extremely short notice. I think she’s a great actor, and played great as Ziva – but if anything you SHOULD be blaming Cote instead of Weatherly since Weatherly at least gave advanced notice.

• Kronos says:

Hello Brazilian nut. You love everything cbs does and all the white men. They can do no wrong.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

One (1) user name per IP address, thank you so much!

And to everyone else: This story is about Michael Weatherly, not Cote de Pablo. He’s in the photo and everything!

• Elizabeth says:

“He’s in the photo and everything.” God bless you, good sir.

• Trish says:

Ha-ha…you tell them Matt. I am very sad he is leaving, but the show will go on. I just hope they don’t kill him off…just in case he wants to come back every now and then. Good luck to him and I will watch anything he is in.

• JA903 says:

Thank you Matt. I was waiting for that. 😊

• herman1959 says:

Jeesh, as soon as I saw there were 575 replies, I KNEW the name Cote de Pablo was involved. Some people just can’t let go.

• The Carpooler says:

Well played. Trolls will be trolls.

• emma says:

Thank you for clearly stating who the story is about. Some people have the tendency to wander. And you should just block the IP addresses that keep doing this and save yourself and everyone else a lot of headaches since this happens quite often.

• arial2 says:

You’ve obviously not followed this show’s Facebook page. No matter what the topic, there’s a small cadre out there which turns every story about NCIS into a “Bring back Ziva!” or “I hate Bishop” rant that goes on for pages. Sorry, Matt.

• You’re right, it’s about Michael Weatherly. I think the viewers, like myself, are just hoping to see Michael and Cote de Pablo working as a team again.

• Dean says:

Depends on how you see it.
      Rational people will say he wanted to move on and do other things.
      His haters will say it was his DUI.
      The hoards of ziva nuts will say he was mistreated by the cast crew and everyone at CBS and was railroaded or he wanted Cote back and left to support her.

• Dmac says:

I think he needs a break, parent of two young children, recent DUI and very long hours filming his show. The man needs some time off.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

It was Weatherly’s decision, long in the planning; I have added some language to make that more clear.

• TDXI says:

Wouldn’t you if you were forced to work with the NOLA cast? I would.

• aliciarusso says:

I’m guessing he was as bored as he has looked for the last two years.

• mary says:

He has a production deal, & wants to produce. It could leave a bit more time to spend with family.

• EllenAce says:

Not even this CBS juggernaut, can handle a loss of this magnitude, without having a serious negative impact, on future demo numbers!

I really thought that the original team members, would stay intact, and NCIS would continue to be renewed each season, as this is a fabulous show, with a strong dedicated following.

Alas, I fear the end is nigh. All the best to MW, (DINozzo), as he will truly be missed.❤️

• Gvone Wharton says:

I respect Michael leaving the show after 13 years of seasons. But what i wanna see how his character end is with Ziva that would bring back there relationship maybe even more serious.

• David says:

He can’t go no way it will not be the same ratings will go down it will not be NCIS!!!!

• CAROL says:

I think they should let him have his own team and leave the door open that he could come back….do not kill him off.

• bernestine mitchell says:

To fine zeva.

2. Jake says:

Leaves to be with Zeva

3. Leanna says:

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTT??!!!!

4. Noel says:

Have Tony go be Ziva!

5. BritBrat says:

I’m going to miss his character. I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for the show.

• tyranthraxus says:

In so much in that there is more of the show in the past than in the Future? Yeah you dont have to be Einstein to work that out.

Dinozzo had a seachange in his personality to an extent after Ziva left and he was never quite the same character, to the point where I think the writing for him became a bit uneven. He had some jokester episodes but I honestly think that they played him to close to Gibbs in some episodes.

• as524 says:

The ‘seachange’ after ziva was the show trying to be nice to the ungrateful, undeserving shipper crowd. As MW said on twitter, tiva was only in the minds of the fans who chose to see it..

• A.E. says:

THe issue was, Kate and Zva had amazing chem with Tony… they didn’t fill Bishop slot with a “spark”” kind of woman. There is an ep in I think Season 11, at the end,” “The Admiral’s Daughter”” he goes overseas, and is paired with a chick, Meg Chambers Steedle, she is so good and they played so great off each other, it was so like breath of fresh air, bc he hadn’t had that. U felt how empty it had been. It was spicy and didn’t need romance, just fun…. they should have cast her.

• aliciarusso says:

The end was when Ziva left.

6. Sarah says:

Didn’t he just have some trouble with the law? Wonder if that is the reason or if he just wants to do something else?

7. dragon2heart says:

Not surprised – it was obvious he was phoning it in the last 2 seasons. Glad he is moving on to bigger & better things.

8. Doretta Hill says:

Noooooooooooo!!! It’s bad enough that we don’t have Ziva anymore!

9. Mary says:

He should go be with Ziva! #nevertoolate

10. Jim-Steve says:

WOW!! I’m going to miss him. I hope they don’t kill him off. I’d love to see him make guest appearances further down the road.

11. Steve F. says:

I’m calling it – he’s reuniting with Ziva. (Hey, if it means a Cote de Pablo guest shot, I’m for it.)

12. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

13. Joni says:

As hard as it would be to watch (and deal with afterward, I think they should end the character like they did Kate. Make it definitive.

• Terry says:

I agree. The exit should be dramatic and definitive with a side order of heroic. His character deserves it.

• Patrick says:

We’ll see. He’s popped up on some of the other shows, and I could see this leading to a spin off for him. NCIS LA is probably on its last few seasons. Maybe this one, maybe next year. I could see him being in a planted, back door spinoff episode next year. One that would lead to a spinoff the NEXT year. Of course, he’s made so much money off this that he doesn’t need to work, so he might not. He’d be great in a sitcom, if he’s not interested in a spinoff. We’ll see him again.

• Dee Dee says:

I agree he won’t be off the screen for too long!

• Stacy says:

He doesn’t really need a spinoff – he was a lead on this show and making big bucks, more than leads on other shows. If he does want to continue acting I think he’ll be looking for something new and interesting.

• prish says:

I read somewhere he was going to produce a modern Little Women with grit thing. After his stint with Dark Angel, it should be good.

• Darlene says:

Absolutely! He has meant so much to the show. Let his exit mean something. Something that will be talked about for years to come. The Tony character has always been loyal, faithful to his team, watching out for them over the years. Let the ending be fitting to that legacy. Blaze of glory, I say.

• Jacqui says:

The character will be missed. Just let the program continue, let Tony’s ending be heroic. The best program running. His decision, let it be

• Mitzi Leek says:

• guitarrgirl says:

Because, clearly, killing off a character means we will never see them pop up again, ever? Flashbacks! Also, “development deal with CBS” doesn’t sound like MW is going anywhere soon (contractually, at least).

The obvious choices are Tony and Ziva reunite or Tony heads his own branch of the franchise. I think RJ needs to come back a few times before May! CBS could make a show just with MW out takes from NCIS and people would watch. Funny guy. Give him a good comedy show.

• Sandi says:

Gutted. Will miss the character!! Love MH but without TDN it will be hard to watch.

• Lindy Lou says:

I absolutely agree. I can’t seeing it being the same without him. Probably the beginning of the end.

• kassie b. says:

I totally agree! It will be hard to watch, he brought so much to his character. I hope he gets his own team, and maybe Michael Weatherly will make guest appreances in the future. The fans would love that!!!!

• Nothing is always definite actors and actresses have made appearances after leaving the show. Hence the spiritual personages. Some had speaking parts and some just were present. I don’t know where he is heading, but I would like to see him and Ziva join up. Open up a branch in Ziva’s homeland. I personally have enjoyed and hope to enjoy many more of the three shows that are on now. I wish all the best to Mr and Mrs Weatherly on their future together with their children. If he returns to acting I’ll look forward to watching his character.

• Nic says:

I don’t really want them to kill him… In fact I resent even the thought…
      But i was a writer and was told to kill them off…
      I would kinda like to have him be murdered and found by Gibbs in the penultimate episode of the season. Then, for the finale, we see everyone in a brief scene of his funeral, such as the casket burial or something, and then watch Gibbs go on a rampage to find his murderer, who turns out to be marcuso (the mob boss he brought down) or some equally violent criminal from his pd days – maybe one from Peoria, with connections to Zoe. Then, for the obligatory cliff hanger (this is kinda a lame cliffhanger but still) have Zoe go find Gibbs and say she knows how much Gibbs meant to Tony, and she has to tell SOMEONE. Turns out, she’s pregnant with Tony’s child, but doesn’t want to raise to kids. end the season here.
      Next season, find out Gibbs took in the baby (I’d prefer a boy, named Tony DiNozzo-Gibbs) and is raising it with the help of McGee, Abby, the Palmers and the Vances (Keyla/Jarrod babysit etc). Then there is a slightly new angle for the show. Instead of grieving the loss of a family, he’s trying to make a new one work while juggling the hardest cases NCIS get.

• Nic says:

As much as I’d hate to see him killed…in fact I completely resent the idea…
      If I was a writer and was told I had to kill him… I’d have him murdered in the penultimate episode of the season and have Gibbs find him. In the season finale, I would then briefly show everyone at a funeral (say the casket burial) before having Gibbs and co (maybe introduce the two new cast members as Tony knew really well) go on a rampage to find the killer, who turns out to be marcuso (that mob boss he took down) or some equally violent criminal from his pd days (maybe from Philly, one who has a connection with Zoe). Then, for the obligatory cliffhanger (this is kinda a lame cliffhanger but still…) have Zoe go find Gibbs in the basement, saying she knows how much Tony admired Gibbs, and that she doesn’t know who else to tell. Then, she says she’s prequalified with Tony’s child but doesn’t know what to do, she doesn’t want to raise kids. End the season here.
      At the start of the next season, show Gibbs as having taken in the baby (I’d prefer a boy, named Tony-DiNozzo-Gibbs) and raising it with the help of McGee, Abby, the Palmers and the Vances (Kayla/Jarrod as babysitters etc). Then there’s a slightly new show angle. Instead of Gibbs grieving over his lost family and trying to replace Shannon, have him trying to make his new family work while taking on the toughest cases NCIS gets.

• Eileen Egan says:

I think Don Bellisario needs to rethink getting rid of main characters and shows when he ended the fantastic JAG and left the cast to fend for themselves. That was cold. Now he’s dumping the highly intelligent, witty and gorgeous Special Agent Tony DiNozzo, who can never be replaced because Michael Weatherly pesoembodied the role. Bellisario could have given Côte de Pablo a leave of absence to do The Dovekeepers and then brought her back to resume Ziva. Zina and Tony were the much needed sparkle for NCIS. And don’t even get me started on killing off Muse Watson as Mike Franks. I’ve learned something over the years that if somethings working and working well there is always someone out there to screw it up just for the sake of change. I’m frankly miserable that both Jag is gone and that NCIS seems to be waning. Also, it was a stroke of genius to bring in Robert Wagner as Tony’s Father; now what’s he supposed to do?r

• Guest says:

Agree also. Maybe even have ghost Kate show up to help comfort Tony.😉😍

• Guest6 says:

Agree also. Maybe even have ghost Kate show up to help comfort Tony. It would be sweet and it could end out how the NCIS directors originally wanted with Tony and Kate together(Yes, I liked Kate and not Ziva,just my opinion tho)😉😍

14. Leanna says:

Well NCIS, it has been a good run. I will say farewell to you at the end of season 13 too. I tolerated Bishopreplacing Ziva, but I don’t think anyone can replace DiNizzo

• Kronos says:

Bishop d didn’t replace Ziva either. Dreadful character.

• Caoimhe says:

totally agree

• Bonnie W says:

The show went downhill with the Bishop character.

• Camille King says:

I totally agree. Too much personal life in her character and not enough action.

• Really? says:

I totally disagree–a few vicious vipers, oh, I meant “over zealous worshipers” won’t ALLOW anyone else to be in the female agent”s part but, a “certain” someone. Get over yourselves, she quit to go do something else, and the poor girl who replaced her, gets raked over the coals constantly by a few of the mean girl mentality group. I (and others, *GASP*) like her and will continue to like her. Besides, this article is about Michael Weatherly LEAVING, but, you lot, have to pull your hatred in to make your usual point about how you HATE Bishop–boo hoo for you. Idiots…

• Anonymous says:

Man people will use any excuse to rag on Bishop, even if the article’s not about her character… get a life

• MammaMoose says:

That would have been the perfect ending. I am a Zeva fan- the chemistry between the two was untouchable!

• Heather says:

I agree the show will never be the same w/o him or in my opinion as good. He and Gibbs/Mark make the show.

• Rubye Robinson says:

This is heart wrenching! I love the cast an crew as it is. I can’t imagine the show being the same if any of them leave!! There will never be another Dinozzo!! He brought so much character to the team collectively an the dynamics are amazing. I’m very sad he’s leaving. I’m a fan of the show. Wishing you the best of luck on all your endeavors Michael. Hopefully u end up with Ziva. I loved the chemistry between you

• cricketwood says:

Some of us still watch JAG reruns.
      Tim (probie) was a rebellious J.D. there.

15. Kate says:

I want Tony to go to Israel to be with Ziva so Tiva can finally be a reality

• Jerri says:

except if it does happen, it’ll be offscreen, so what’s your point? Producers should just leave it up in the air like they did when Cote left. At least Weatherly had the courtesy to tell cast and crew well in advance that he’s leaving, unlike Cote who dropped the news on their heads a few days before they were set to return to shooting the new season.

16. Oh, yes, Tony should head his own team, away from the DC office and I would like to see Tony and Ziva together as a couple.

17. JDH says:

Well done on 13 Seasons!

He will be missed, but I can’t pretend like I didn’t think a longtime regular would leave sooner or later…

Hopefully they don’t kill him off…

18. Becky says:

I will be so sad to see him go!!! I hope he does get his own NCIS team.

19. MsBaseball says:

Nooooo!!!! I think maybe it’s time to end the show on a high note. I love it, but it’s starting to get stale.

20. Sophie Carmichael says:

I am absolutely flabbergasted. Why would he leave? I cannot imagine what would cause his departure. I know it could not be a salary dispute. It was hard enough when Ziva left. I am not sure if the show can handle another loss. Now I low me some Gibbs and the rest of them but Tony? He was such a great Ad Libber.

• Pete says:

Sometimes, no matter how much you enjoy a job, there comes a time to move on.

• Will Sanborn says:

He’s been on the show for 13 seasons. Imagine all the hours they put into the show. It’d be nice for him to relax, or try his hand at something new. There’s only so much progression a character can make in order to stay true to that person before it comes off as unbelievable. That or you just stay the same and that in itself can become flat/stale.

• Will Sanborn says:

Just another note. He’s also producing a show for The CW if I remember right too? I could be mistaken. So he might want to devote attention to that as well or whatever other shows he might want to spearhead from a creative standpoint.

• Dysturbed says:

As great as permanent job security (til a show ends for good) can be for an actor, the desire to challenge themselves by trying out other characters on a more frequent basis sometimes comes into play. Maybe that is the reason.

• johnhelvete says:

And he might not even need the job security at this point with the money he was made doing NCIS and the residual checks he will still get.

• mary says:

He is leaving for his production company. He wants to produce, not act. This has been in the works for quite some time.

21. Sheldon W. says:

Maybe DiNozzo is running off to spend the rest of his life with a certain lovely ex-Mossad agent? (That would certainly be fitting…)

22. Chris Turner says:

Send Tony to take over another NCIS TEAM so he can come back to visit.

23. Katya says:

I must say I am a little bit sad, but mostly happy and excited to hear this news. Michael has been sorely undervalued on NCIS, and I can’t wait to see him do something different! You go, man.

24. Tina Ellis says:

i need a dislike button :-(

25. Marcy says:

Rides off into the sunset with Ziva

26. They need to let Tony be with Ziva if Tony is leaving and let Tiva have their happy ending.

27. ROBIN says:

Ziva makes a surprise visit to let Tony know he’s gonna be a father, So Tony and Ziva get married and Tony leaves to be with her, and there baby

28. Shirley Muldoon says:

why not o and find Ziva again?

29. Terry says:

First off, I am sorry to see him go but wish him well. NCIS will not be the same without him. I hope the writers give him an exit story worthy of his 13 years on the show. That means the focus should be 100% on Tony and he should not revert back to being nothing more than the T in Tiva like he was for too many years.

30. Rick Katze says:

The show is likely to last as long as Gibbs wants it to last. Hopefully they will send Tony to Rota as a fitting reward.

• Patrick says:

Yep. I don’t think Harmon will ever walk away from this money train. If he can take this to 20 years, he will.

31. Tim Hale says:

I would like to see him leave to go and reunite with Ziva. It would really make us long time viewers feel some degree of closure.

32. lame says:

They need to get cote de pablo to make a cameo, waiting for tony on the tarmac, so they can fly off together.

33. Shannon W says:

NOOOOOOOO!!!!! 😭

34. maria says:

He decided to go to ziva and stay with her

35. Not surprised at all by this announcement. Of’course, Tony should go back to Ziva and convince her they should be together; and this time she agrees. Special Guest Star Cote de Pablo.

36. Kronos says:

Great news! Since Ziva left the show he had seemed either list or bored. Glad he is breaking away for new things.

37. It’s time for Tony to take over his own office and team, elsewhere in the world. Have to say if they kill him off,which series’ creators too often do as ‘punishment’ for leaving, I probably will never forgive them or watch the show in the future. Wherever Michael Weatherley is going, I wish him all the best of luck in his life and career. He’s been a delight to watch on this series and contributed a great deal to its success.

• Jbj says:

I like that idea, too. 1) Because Tony really does deserve his own team and 2) it can leave it open-ended whether or not he and Ziva get together. I love them together, but the idea of them settling down somewhere seems out of character.

38. aph1976 says:

I can understand Michael Weatherly wanting to leave NCIS because he’s been on it for 13 years and he may want to do other stuff now.As for Tony maybe he gets his own team or even maybe he goes to find Ziva because he realizes he wants her instead of his job.That way the door could be left open for him to return one day and maybe when NCIS ends he shows up on the final episode.Also with the show casting two new agents for next season i had a feeling there would be a cast shake up in some manner.

39. I wonder if his exit is related to his recent DWI. No excuse for a rich actor to drive drunk!

• John NYC says:

Even “rich” actors make errors in judgement.

• quickdraw59 says:

As do “poor”. Your monetary worth is meaningless if you make a stupid mistake… There could be many reasons why he’s decided to move on–I wish him success, in whatever comes next.

40. Mike says:

I understand him maybe wanting to do something else, but couldn’t that be done when they aren’t filming? But then again, maybe he’s just going to go and live off the residuals for the rest of his life.

• John NYC says:

Not if it’s another full time television show. The occasional movie etc. can be fit into the break but a starring roll on another show wouldn’t fit or even a behind the camera active role with another 20 episode or so production.

41. Kristen says:

Whaaaaahhhh?? Oh man, this hits hard.

42. Annie says:

I feel like this show’s bell has been tolling for a few seasons now. Maybe this will help them move toward ending the series with dignity while they still can. If this is the last season, and they let Tony leave to be with Ziva, I’d be more than satisfied.

43. lqza says:

Thank the lord, I have not watched the last two seasons as I am fed up listening to big mouth Tony!

• Lizzie says:

If you haven’t watched for two years, how can you say you are fed up listening to big mouth tony…. Doesn’t make sense

44. Dennis Wynne Oxenford Queensland Australia says:

Very very sad to learn DiNozzo is exiting NCIS, and obvious answer is that he “accidently” learns of Zivas whereabouts and they finally expell there feelinmgs for one another and they marry and he exits arm in arm with her and a great wedding is produced for end of season which c an be interupted by bads guys if desired. The connotations are endless by him and Ziva are the obvious ending

45. I hope they bring Ziva back to wrap up his story but not just his last one. Bring her back at least his last three episodes

46. Ramon says:

I would like to see that is assigned to his own NCIS unit. That way he can make guest appearearances with the occasional tug of war with his old boss.

47. Caoimhe says:

HE LEAVES TO MARRY ZIVA

48. Tracy says:

Maybe its time to end the show. He should go off to lead his own group. Without Ziva too much has changed so he has to go lead a group or go find himself.

49. Pris Smith says:

Ziva comes back and they leave together. The only way it brings closure to their story.

• P:hyllis says:

That sounds like the best thing to do for both the character.. Ziva and Tony and something there, or so the writers hinted. It would be great if they hooked up and “rode off into the sunset”

50. dragon2heart says:

He did say he would like to see Ziva return….perhaps that’s already in the works. 😊