The Walking Dead Casts Gregory

The Walking Dead: Xander Berkeley Will Be Playing [Spoiler]!

Remember back in September, when TVLine reported that 24 vet Xander Berkeley would be joining The Walking Dead in an unspecified role in the second half of Season 6 (which begins Feb. 14)? Now we can exclusively reveal whom he’ll be playing — and, in short, his character is bad news.

The veteran actor will be bringing to weaselly life Gregory, who, according to Robert Kirkman’s comic-book source material, is the leader of the Hilltop Colony, a coward to the core and a total nightmare for Maggie and Rick. Just how awful is the villain? He betrays our Gregory on The Walking Deadheroes to the merciless Negan (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) and poisons [spoiler] himself! No wonder Gregory runs afoul of righteous Paul “Jesus” Monroe (Luck’s Tom Payne).

In addition to 24, Berkeley has appeared on just about every series under the sun, from The A-Team to Zoo. (His resumé must come in volumes!) To us, though, he’ll always be Virginia Madsen’s feckless husband in the 1992 thriller Candyman.

What do you think, peeps? Given the imminent arrivals of all these major comics characters, are you bracing yourselves for what seems like Glenn’s inevitable (for-real-this-time) demise? Hit the comments!

1. wrstlgirl says:

Yeah, it’s one thing to tell us who the actor is playing and to describe him some what but to post comic book spoilers in the story is not cool man.

• Michael Ausiello says:

Fair enough. That name has been spoiler’d out! — MTA

• wrstlgirl says:

• Robert says:

The spoiler is Maggie, who doesn’t die and hangs Gregory for it. If you don’t want to hear it don’t read articles with walking dead spoilers. Or maybe try actually reading the comic

• Zerb says:

I myself have no problem with spoilers, and have read the comics, but it shouldn’t be that hard to understand the following two things.

1)Chances are that she knew that it would name the character and give a brief description. That is the norm, even for headlines on this site that say “so and so is playing “spoiler”. That doesn’t mean that the knew that it would go into further detail, since such a thing is not the norm for this specific site.

2) The fact that people who watch the show, but haven’t read the comics do have the ability to read the comics for enjoyment is a luxury, not a necessity. It isn’t and shouldn’t be a requirement to read the source material.

• The comic is for people that have to have pictures, like a child. Don’t want to read comics, I read books. And this show is for beyond the comic book stage.

• EddieT says:

If Ms McKelvey doesn’t care for pictures, then I am surprised that she watches TV at all. As the Dowager Duchess has said, it gets chilly up there on the moral highground. As for the earlier comments, I do not regard references to the original graphic novels as necessarily spoilers, because the TV writers have changed enough that the show is a re-write, and even the comic readers do not necessarily know what to expect in the TV show.

• hansolo8004 says:

Hope you got your kicks, brat. Isn’t it your bedtime yet? Don’t want to oversleep and miss the short bus tomorrow.

• THE BETTER NOT KILL OFF MORE OF THE MAIN CORE ACTORS . Would never read a comic
            I am not one of those bailey’s people that need pictures.

• hansolo8004 says:

Good. Would hate to see you go down the ew.commy path, spoiling everything in sight, even in headlines, DVR watchers be dammmmmed.

Thanks, Michael.

• MrScreenAddict says:

I mean, the headline is literally “The Walking Dead: Xander Berkeley Will Be Playing [Spoiler]!” At this point, we all know the internet is the Wild West and everyone has to be their own sheriff. If you’re the kind of person who knows you don’t like spoilers, then the wisest course of action would probably be to NOT click on an article that literally has the word SPOILER in the headline, don’t you think?

• MrScreenAddict says:

Well, now it’s been edited. Never mind.

• wrstlgirl says:

Nope, not when the title reads “will be playing (spoiler). That clearly indicates that the article is going to tell me who the actor is playing, not details about what this particular character does and how it affects others.

• Robert says:

The comic and show are not the same. Just because something happens in the comic does not mean it will be the same on the show. So unless you plan on reading the comic, which it sounds like you don’t, it doesn’t matter.

• Mr. Myxpyxlyx says:

Carol is dead in the comic, Sophia is alive, Andrea too, and Judith was shoot in the comic book, trust me this show does not give a damn about the comics. Also Denise is a super confident intelligent character not an easily frazzled student of medicine.

• wrstlgirl says:

That’s not true. While it doesn’t follow the comics 100% a lot of what happens in the comics DOES happen on the show, although somewhat different and usually to different characters. This is a tired argument and I’m not having it again. Have a wonderful 2016!!!

• Zerb says:

“trust me this show does not give a damn about the comics”

They don’t “give a damn” in regards to completely replicating certain things from the comics , but they do often do things that the comic does, only by altering the specifics of who things happen to, and when. You make it sound like that isn’t the case.

• Zerb says:

ctd… for example, if Negan does what he did to you know who in the comics, but to someone else on the show, it is still a case of strongly using the comics as a basis, despite altering things to an extent.

• Big Mike says:

The snobby attitude of WD comic readers towards WD tv only watchers continues. Listen, I’m sure that the comics are great. I don’t doubt you enjoyed them immensely. But I, along with a lot of other people, don’t get the same enjoyment as you do out of comic books/graphic novels. I don’t begrudge you, or make you out to be some sort of “2nd class fan”…why do the comic readers feel the need to adopt this attitude toward the tv only crowd? It’s sad.

• I don’t know what attitude Big Mike might be experiencing, but I haven’t perceived any “snobby attitude” on the part of comics readers. It is usually just the opposite, as demonstrated by Ms McKelvey above, in that comics readers how too often treated as somehow inferior, unintelligent and/or uneducated. While too many comics are dreck, a remarkable number are creative modern myth-making. Even Aeschylus and Shakespeare were just entertainment for the common man, at one time. Some other comics are actually the equivalent of story boards for movies or TV series to be pitched (e.g. Mark Millar’s work, or Kirkman’s work on “Outcast”). Meanwhile, theater goers are dismissive of TV viewers and so it goes, as everyone feels the need to be superior in some way. As stated by the immortal Sly Stone: “Different strokes for different folks, and so on and so on and scooby dooby doo”. Or, as the late Rodney King said: “Why can’t we all just get along?”

• Thom says:

Actually Judith was crushed to death after Haley, driving a truck crashes into the prison, killing lori, who falls on top of judith and killed her. She (Haley) then goes after the governor

• aph1976 says:

To make the show different from the comic, of course a few things might be different because TPTB may know if everything that happened in the comic happens exactly the same way on the show then there’s no suspense for the viewers because they’ll know what happens next.Plus in the comic Judith was shot but maybe the show didn’t want to do that dark of a twist.

2. Kate says:

That has been the guess for awhile now, if I understand correctly, it still will be some time before we actually meet him. I mean, for all this Gregory, Hilltop and Negan talk, I think we meet Jesus first and haven’t yet (based on the early in the summer on scene photos, I think while Glenn and Enid are stuck outside, they run into him). But, from what I understand while we will have conflicted feelings with ourselves about Negan (he’s evil, but he’s so fun!), its pretty much universal that everyone hates Gregory. Like, I even have the impression that Negan doesn’t like him.

3. gwenrobby says:

Oh for goodness sake. The source material has been around and available for literally YEARS. Don’t read the article if you’re worried about spoilers.

• wrstlgirl says:

Of course it’s been around and available for those who go looking for it. That’s not what I’m talking about.

• Margaret Suntz says:

I think the article’s title gave fair warning. Personally, I like spoilers and have only followed the comics on the “fringe”. How is Xander’s casting as Gregory a spoiler, when the Internet blew up last year announcing Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Negan? Granted, the article should have said: the following info about Gregory is spoiling from the comics – exit the page now … Dot, dot, dot, go down a few carriage returns, and talk about him at Hilltop, poisoning himself, etc. BTW: J. Morgan was on The View and one of the interviewers asked (on national TV) what was it like to meet/hold his bat, Lucille! Isn’t that a comic book spoiler? JS.

4. Joey Padron says:

Good to know which character from comic books he’s playing. He’s always good at playing the villains on shows. Can’t wait to see him on the show!

5. Casey says:

As soon as I saw “his character is bad news,” I was like “of course he is!” LOL, when has he not played a total a-hole? When you need a bad guy, consider Xander. He plays the part so well.

• The Squatch says:

I can’t believe you just spoiled who Red John is for me! I’m only halfway through season 2 of the Mentalist… even though it has been off the air for a while now. Waaaaaahhhhh!!!

……… kidding.

Can’t believe how much freak out over spoilers sometimes. I mean, I didn’t want to know anything about The Force Awakens before I saw it so I stayed off the internet for aday and a half before I went. Clicking on an article that says “SPOILER” in the title then being upset because there were… spoilers… just doesn’t make sense to me. I mean, yes, you could argue the spoiler in question was unnecessary but once you take to the comment section you’re always taking your spoiler-life into your own hands.

Some people love being the D-Bags to spoil things for those who don’t want them spoiled. But it’s those same peoples reactions and complaints that make said D-Bags just want to keep doing it even more.

6. Phoenix5634 says:

Great actor, looking forward to his performance. And I’ve read the comics so the spoiler doesn’t affect me, but I could see how certain comic details in the article would upset some people who havnt read them. But like a lot of people pointed out, the title is kind of obvious tht your stepping into spoiler terrority. Don’t worry tho, the show rarely takes storylines directly from the comics, they always modify them abit, for 1 becuz then it gives new storylines for the comic readers, and 2nd they can clean up storylines or make them better for TV.

7. Aaron says:

Let me begin by saying I love Walking Dead and was not a reader of the comic. With that said, this does not seem like a type of show (in my opinion) that can be ruined by spoilers. I have this argument with coworkers and friends quite often and they dont seem to see the same differences that are so apparent to me. TWD is entertaining, but more for suspense and gore rather than a great storyline or acting. If a spoiler would have come out for Breaking Bad it would have been devastating since it centers around a few core characters and their acting ability. Breaking Bad was an excellent TV show. TWD is fun to watch, but not that great of a show. /endrant

8. Felipe Mayol says:

YES! [Spoiler]! Is my favorite character from the comics!

9. The writers are doing a great job. No matter who comes and goes it’s always the best of
    I can’t wait till Feb 14
    Happy Valentines Day to all…

10. Becca says:

They can bring on whomever they want; but, there needs to be a lot more Daryl in the second half of the season!

11. jjk says:

If SPOILER is in the headline and you click on it then you will get a spoiler. I read because I want the spoiler. So now I’m complaining because tvline let their journalistic integrity become sullied because of one malcontent who had fair warning about the spoiler. Put the name back in.

12. Ronni says:

No Daryl, Glen, Maggie Mesh one and Carol have to stay on the show..TWD are killing off too many good actors and keeping the not so good.. seriously guys quit killing off the ones we tune in to watch.

13. I can’t believe this show. Viewers ask don’t kill off our main core actors and you kill them off any way. We love rick, carl, maggie, glenn, carol, and of course daryl. We don’t want them killed off but you keep taking them from us. Please stop already.

• Kirkman built his reputation in the first instance by showing a willingness to kill off anyone, unlike the standard trope in popular fiction. Kirkman has always killed off all sorts of popular characters, as he believes in his ability to introduce new ones who will eventually garner just as much support. When Kirkman was first taken to task for his willingness to kill off popular and seemingly central characters, the criticism only induced him to kill off more of them. A watcher or reader of the Walking Dead must be prepared for any character to die, and often at the most unexpected moment.

14. Hooter Horton says:

I think the show spoiled it with the trailer for the mid-season opener. Maggie is shown in a mid scream. …. yet you can still hear and make out that she is screaming Glenn’s name. She’s obviously watching Glenn die. It’s a huge screw up on behalf of the show. But I would bet good money we lose Glenn.

• Phoenix5634 says:

Two things that most readers of the series likely noticed in the mid-season finale/opener. One yes was Maggie screaming, but the other was Rick and everyone holding hands as they left the house..

15. Sherri Coop says:

No i just dont think they are going to kill off glen the whole show will be off and totally not the same their are some of the group the main core like maggie and glen ,darrell ,rick ,Carl ,carol etc that should make it thoigh to the end .