Golden Globes Predictions 2016

Golden Globe 'Spoilers': Outlander, Lady Gaga Poised to Win Big

The 2016 Golden Globe Awards may be airing on NBC, but Starz and Amazon will walk off with the top TV awards on Jan. 10, per my trusty kudos-obsessed crystal ball.

Yep, sources close to my gut tell me exclusively that the crazy, unpredictable Hollywood Foreign Press Assoc. will hand Outlander the top drama prize, while Mozart in the Jungle will nab best comedy. Oh, and because the HFPA loves a risk-taking A-lister, AHS: Hotel‘s Lady Gaga will prevail over frontrunner Kirsten Dunst (Fargo).

But those are only three of the surprises the HFPA has in store at the 73nd annual ceremony.

Scroll through the gallery below — or click here for direct access — to view my complete Globes forecast, as well as my choices for who should win. Then hit the comments with your own Golden predictions. And then make a date with TVLine Sunday, Jan. 10 for complete coverage of Hollywood’s biggest, booziest night.

1. Brian says:

These picks aren’t that bad. I don’t watch Outlander, but I know there’s alot of love for that show, so it winning wouldn’t be surprsing. The only WTF? is Gaga winning over Kirsten Dunst. That’s just insane. Not that Gaga is super bad, but come on. She’s just playing Gaga.

2. Ws says:

Have the winners actually leaked this year or are these just your predictions?

3. Tom says:

Schreiber should win best drama actor over Malek? You’re making me laugh.

4. ema says:

Lady Gaga’s acting was really Amazing !! she really deserve to win this award

5. saad says:

i really wants Gaga to win she was truly flawless as the countess but i don’t think American horror story have a chance to win on his category , but anything could happen !!!

6. spindae2 says:

I really hope American Crime snatches all the awards it can get. Such an outstanding show. So underrated.
    I’m also pissed Timothy isn’t getting more love for his S01 role, so amazing.

Can’t wait for the show to enter S02.

• misery chick says:

^^^^^THIS!!!! For 💕💕 Timothy Hutton 💕💕
      to not even be nominated is vulgar.

Eagerly looking forward to S2, but I can’t ever forget S1.

7. Gio says:

I’m not a fan of Lady Gaga but I have to say she really surprised my positively ! For her first role as an actress she did pretty amazing especially when the AHS season is unfolding ! That would be deserved to me.

8. Sarah9 says:

Really Lady Gaga? I hope not there’s much more talented actress in that list that should win.
    Sometimes I wonder how certain people are choose over much more talented ones.

• Erik Gober says:

Even a talented actress can be bad every once in a while. And Gaga has formidable talent. Look at her credentials, dude. If she wins, it will be well deserved because she’s a hardworker and she learned those effing lines and she went to work early every day and gave that role her all. Please, stop the hate.

• Dude says:

So she deserves an award for doing her job as an actress? Guess what? All those actors have to go to work and get up early and learn those lines and work hard. That’s not specific to Lady Gaga. Please stop the ignorance. Lady Gaga spends 80% of AHS basically playing herself in a Lady Gaga music video and the other 20% proving her limitations as an actress as she can’t portray a genuine emotion effectively. There’s no depth to her performance.

• Sam says:

You don’t know nothing is obviously that you don’t know Gaga at all you are like the other haters all you see is crazy costumes….. she’s much more than that

• Sarah9 says:

Its my opinion lol and has far has I know I can express it.
        There are better actress in the list and that’s a fact..to think that Lady Gaga who is on her first tv show is potentially wining against much better actress is ridiculous.

9. Dani says:

I love Outlander. It was really beautifully shot to the point that it was like seeing 18th century Scotland. I had hoped that the controversial scenes wouldn’t deter people from liking it. Caitriona Balfe and Tobias Menzies were exceptional. I do hope it wins.

• The Beach says:

And Sam (Jamie) should win something just for being the most breathtakingly beautiful man on TV.

• I don’t understand why Sam Huegan gets snubbed. He plays Jamie so well and in a very difficult role and all his emotions are convincing. He’s quite good-looking to boot, so what’s not to like?

• mapers says:

Sam wasn’t necessarily snubbed. But in the overall arc of the season he didn’t have the screen time or ” meatiness” of story until very late. Compared to the lead actor nominees, Sam just didn’t have enough screen time throughout the season. The next seasons should offer him more opportunity I would think.

• shellinaya says:

Some people (me) think he’s not that fantastic of an actor, so I wasn’t surprised when he didn’t get nominated. His acting is overdone at times and his looks … I don’t find him that appealing. Caitriona Balfe OTOH is an amazing actor, a total natural. She makes it look easy.

10. RD says:

Would someone please tell me what’s the big deal with ‘Outlander’? I couldn’t get through the first episode.(and I tried twice)

• Dani says:

It looks beautiful, the actors are beautiful. It has time travel and witches. It has romance, sex and violence. I mean there are plenty of things in the show to like. It might not be the best show ever made and like every show out there it has some flaws, but it is really a well-made show. Maybe you don’t like historical dramas? Its just a matter of preference.

• Nancy says:

The romance and story amidst the breathtaking backdrop of Scotland were what got me. The first episode or two are a bit hard to get through in terms of just getting the ancestry/backstory parts down. After that it really picks up speed. I found myself hooked after catching bits and pieces, and finally resolved to give the season a chance. Maybe it’s not for everybody. For instance, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t get into Game Of Thrones. Anyway, it’s 8-10 episodes (can’t remember exactly), so not too bad if you wanted to give it a chance.

• Ghjklo says:

Try another episode, the first one is slow and it gets better almost to the end of the episode.

• The Beach says:

And it has one of the greatest, most hateful villains to come along in a long time. I couldn’t wait for Clay on Sons of Anarchy to meet his maker but Black Jack Randall makes him seem like a choir boy.

• Sue says:

The big deal about Outlander? Two words SAM HEUGHAN!!! The show might not be for everyone but Sam is awesome in the role of Jamie ❤️❤️ him!!

• ai4x4 says:

Skip to episode 15 and 16 and you’ll know what we are talking about.

• Mable says:

When I first started watching I couldn’t get through the first ep either but I tried again when I caught a marathon and oh boy! It all ties in to things that happened in the first ep. Please keep on watching, you won’t be sorry :)

11. Dude says:

If Lady Gaga beats Kirsten Dunst I will riot. Kirsten gave the best performance of the fall season bar none and Lady Gaga can barely hold it together on AHS. Not only is she playing herself but she has zero range and is atrocious at any scene involving genuine acting and I say that as someone who generally likes her. She is the weakest actor on AHS so if she beats someone who managed to be the best part of an a-list cast, that will be a travesty.

• Jakay says:

Right there with you. Gaga was barely passable (she is really not an actress, whether you like her music or not) while Dunst was amazingly good in Fargo. There was no comparison. Gaga winning would be Pia Zadora all over again.

• Sam says:

12. Spence says:

Gaga winning an award for “acting”… Has hell frozen over?

13. Jesse says:

Lady Gaga’s acting on AHS was very wooden and uneven. She ruined several episodes. Durst deserves the award for her amazing performance in Fargo. I am shocked Gaga was even nominated.

• Mable says:

I don’t watch the show so I can’t comment on her acting but some have said she was nominated to bring more attention to the award show, i.e. her millions of fans.

• amy says:

Gaga been the biggest star in the worls doesn’t means she was nominated to bring more attention and ratings to the shows , she was amazingly good in American horror story and her acting is really perfect ❤️❤️❤️❤️

14. buttercupp85 says:

Well to be fair I haven’t seen most of the other shows… But I think outlander deserves to win everything!!! My new favorite show.

15. HAP says:

A couple of comments.
    First, I’m guessing that the prediction of Mozart winning is more based on this being the foreign press, and Bernal is foreign? I love the show, and especially Lola Kirke, who, incidentally just completed filming playing opposite Tom Cruise in a Doug Liman movie.

Second, I cannot think of anyone more worthy of the award than Ben Mendelsohn. If you have caught any of the Aussie’s other work, you know what I mean. The guy can act.

• The Beach says:

He is brilliant. I was actually surprised he was “supporting” since I really thought of him as Bloodline’s lead. For sure he was its heart and soul.

16. Cas says:

I don’t hate Gaga but I also didn’t think she was anything special.

17. Jose says:

I would set hollywood on fire if Kirsten Dunst doesn’t win this award.

18. JosiahBartlet4President says:

Tomlin should totally win. She’s hilarious!

19. Amy says:

Outlander Season 1 had it all! As much as I love Game of Thrones, Outlander is my pick to win! The only tragedy is that Sam Heughan wasn’t in the race this year. If Tobias Menzies or Caitriona Balfe win, they should thank that man for his work. He’s a big reason a lot of their scenes worked so well

20. Jorge says:

Kirsten Dunst can not be beaten, if there is any justice in the world she will walk away with the Globe, the Critics Choice and the emmy.

21. Paul says:

Viola Davis deserves the Best Actress nod.

22. Nancy says:

Shouldn’t it be quality over quantity?

23. niloofar22 says:

Agree with Ben Mendelsohn without him Bloodline would have been boring.

24. kathrene mcphone says:

Lady Gaga was amazingly good in American horror story

25. Danny says:

“Stop the hate”? Do people know what the word “hate” means? Lady Gaga is fine in “American Horror Story: Hotel,” despite the fact her role is shallow and underwritten. I’m impressed she’s not a terrible actress (the transition from singer to actress doesn’t always work – case in point, record-breaking Razzie-winner Madonna). However, I’d hardly call her good. Challenge yourself to some complex, intelligent television like FX’s much-better (and overshadowed) “Fargo.”

26. Nancy Harris says:

The first episode lays the ground work for future episodes and you need to pay attention to the “history” lessons so you know who is who when Claire travels back in time. Once that happens everything falls into place

27. Shru says:

Mr Robot needs to win for best drama and Rami Malek for best actor!!!

28. Claire Ziegler says:

Outlander is a brilliant series of Diana gabaldon a books! I am soooo happy to see romance entwined with war, drama n soooo many characters!😃👍

29. shellinaya says:

Hoping Outlander wins all its nominated awards… it’s an amazing show. I’m not a fan of the books, I think the show is better.

30. Jas says:

Outlander is phenomenal series and one of the best book to TV adaptations ever, I really hope it does win. Also Rami Malek was incredible in Mr. Robot and I can’t to see him get the Golden Globe recognition he deserves!!

31. Best Drama Actress is already massively compromised without Rachel Nichols or Melissa Benoist in there, so all you Outlander lemmings realize when your precious Caitriona wins, it’ll be a big-assed asterisk next to her name.

32. AHS says:

Honestly, I’m not a Lady Gaga fan, but I respect her as an artist. But to me she did amazingly great in AHS ! I was not too glad of seeing a pop star being the new lead lady of the show, but actually I was positively surprised to see that she was actually great ! And I’m saying this a huge AHS and Jessica Lange fan !

To me she wouldn’t steal that Golden Globe if she wins…

33. Lizz says:

I’d be happy with either Game of Thrones or Mr. Robot over Outlander.

34. Luciano says:

You need better sources, Mike!