Expanse Renewed Syfy

Syfy's Expanse Renewed for Season 2

The Expanse‘s longevity has been expanded.

Syfy has renewed the freshman drama from Alcon Television Group for a 13-episode Season 2, to air in early 2017.

The Expanse is firing on all cylinders creatively, building a passionate fan base among viewers and critics alike, and delivering on Syfy’s promise of smart, provocative science fiction entertainment,” network president Dave Howe said in a statement. “We can’t wait to see where the story takes us in Season 2.”

Set 200 years in the future and airing Tuesdays at 10/9c, the series follows the case of a missing young woman that brings a hardened detective (played by Hung‘s Thomas Jane and a fedora) and a rogue ship’s captain (Steven Strait) together in a race across the solar system that will expose the greatest conspiracy in human history.

1. Jerry says:

“The Expanse premiered earlier this month to 1.2 million total viewers a 0.3 demo rating, but at last tally had settled in at around half that. With Live+3 DVR playback, its weekly average swells to 1.6 million viewers, Syfy notes.”

The first four episodes have also been available on VOD for weeks. Not sure if those numbers are included in the totals mentioned. Next week should be interesting since it’s the first episode that will air on TV first.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Those numbers are not included, no. Syfy claims that 4.5 million viewers sampled the first episode “on Syfy.com, On Demand and digital outlets prior to the series’ linear premiere.”

• Phlarg says:

I’m disappointed with it so far. I only sit through it because my boyfriend watches it. No clue whats going on – too many plot lines and not enough connections.

2. Jimmy says:

The first episode was so boring that I haven’t returned to the series yet, which is a shame because the book was far more interesting.

• Jerry says:

Since the first season is the first book I have a feeling the show would come off better if it’s binged after all the episodes have aired.

• SciFiFan says:

I too found the first episode to be boring (and two as well) but episodes three and four were really good.

• Simon Jester says:

I found the first couple of episodes of KILLJOYS dire, but I’m glad I stuck with it. (And FRINGE took 6 episodes to find its feet!) IMHO, a pilot is rarely a good basis for judging how a series will develop, since it has to carry so much expositional freight.

• Preacher Book says:

Good lord, narratives need to set up characters, initial narrative points and environmental settings. A little attention span is needed these days and all four episodes live up the book nicely. Nobody or nothing is complete upon the first meeting. Production values alone were worth continuing.

• Temperance says:

Preacher Book – Exactly. The effects budget looked like it topped all the rest of the channels show’s combined (which is to say, they were excellent). For a first episode of a space opera, it was very well done.

• Temperance says:

The first episode was boring because you already know the story. For those of us that are unfamiliar, them pilot was pretty great.

3. Me says:

Good news! I’ve enjoyed the series & I look forward to the rest of this season & season two.

4. Kate says:

I’ve enjoyed it so far even though it seems fairly apparent the first four episodes are actually one long pilot episode. Its funny, the premise that is quoted about the show, we’re four episodes in and I have serious doubts that Julie has even crossed Holden’s mind since he decided to register the distress signal. And it hasn’t actually ever been shown to us that Holden or Miller even know each other.

5. johnhelvete says:

Very good series and there are a few scenes in episode 4 that are fantastic. It seems like a lot of these basic cable channels are either doing 10 episodes or 13 episodes, and I dont really get why 12 episodes is not an option for various reasons.

6. Great great news. The show was a little slow in episode one, as the characters and their back stories were introduced, but the show has been terrific. I need to go back and take a look at what was going on with the missing rich kid at the beginning of episode one, and I wonder if we will ever know what the Cant’s navigator was starting to say, when the Canterbury was destroyed.

7. Et al. says:

I’ve only seen the first 3 and Ive found it to be just ok. However, I keep hearing episode 4 is fantastic. I’m glad it’s renewed and that syfy is at least attempting some sci-Fi shows again.

8. Joey Padron says:

Good news the show got renewed! It’s been good so far!

9. shawn15151515 says:

Wasnt it already renewed prior to the premiere?

10. Kevin says:

I just finished season one, and am glad that I stuck it out. This is a very good show. The effects are top notch, and it is thus far a very reliable retelling of the books. Excited for season 2, although a little annoyed that I have to wait until early 2017.