I Love Lucy Ratings

Ratings: I Love Lucy Easily Draws Biggest Audience on Quiet Wednesday

CBS’ double helping of colorized I Love Lucy episodes on Wednesday averaged 7.4 million total viewers and a 1.1 demo rating, easily drawing Christmas Eve eve’s largest audience.

In the demo, Lucy placed a close second behind NBC’s airing of the animated classic How the Grinch Stole Christmas (which did 4.9 mil and a 1.2). And it tastes just like candy!

Also of note from Wednesday, NBC’s encore of Adele Live in New York City added 3.6 mil and a 1.1 rating to its original, impressive haul, and in finals could adjust up to a 1.2, tying The Mean One for the nightly win.

1. Ralph says:

I much prefer the original Black & White, but Lucy is always funny regardless. A once a year color episode is lots of fun….. I will always purchase the black & white though.

2. mcs62 says:

Made my 19 yo daughter watch it, she laughed so hard! She almost couldn’t believe it was a 60 year old show.

• misery chick says:

I imagined that our beloved Lucy would be treasured by future generations, it thrills me to hear it s true 💖 I can’t believe it’s sixty years old either. Lucille Ball makes everything look like she’s doing it off the cuff, with no script, for the VERY FIRST TIME. And I was amazed, for the 100th time, that it felt so FRESH and that I felt like I was seeing it FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME 😆

Never ever EVER going to be another Lucy, a true original and class act.

3. Bobby says:

We watched and the colorized version.

4. Frank Russo says:

Now that we are restoring relationships with Cuba, CBS need to restore the Lucy Takes a Cruise to Havana episode of the Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour to its original 75 minute length,colorize it and show that sometime in the near future.

5. Nero the TVFiddler says:

Good to see the networks are expanding the lineup of vintage Christmas broadcasts from the 1950s and 1960s. You can’t go wrong with Lucy and Peanuts and Grinch and Rudolph and Mr Magoo (I believe it is on Friday on CW) and Frosty.

My hope is that PBS will bring back the Andy Williams, Bing Crosby and Perry Como Christmas shows again as well.

They really don’t make them like they used to… those classic Christmas programs of the ’50s and ’60s are timeless and golden.

Merry Christmas everyone.

• Nero the TVFiddler says:

I just remembered – CBS has another vintage Christmas themed show lined up for tomorrow/Friday, Christmas night at 8pm: The Andy Griffith Show Special. Not certain of the specifics, but I suspect a Christmas themed (colorized?) episode or two in that hour timeslot.

Good for CBS – I’d much rather have all the broadcast networks (ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX/CW) bringing back older vintage Christmas specials in December than run another ‘Dateline’ or ’48 Hours Mystery’ or ‘When Good Pets Go Bad’, etc., etc.