I think we can all agree we live in strange, exciting times: Drones are delivering packages, rats are becoming Internet famous and ABC Family is changing its name to Freeform.
I can’t really shed any new light on those first two, but ABC Family released a series of videos this week to help answer fans’ burning questions about the big switch going down on Jan. 12. Here are our favorite reveals:
1. Will Freeform keep its annual “25 Days of Christmas” programming event? You bet! In fact, not only is the network “not canceling Christmas,” but as you’ll see in the video below, Baby Daddy star Derek Theler might have an in with the big red man, himself. (That said, I’d also appreciate an update on the network’s “13 Nights of Halloween” block.)
2. Will Freeform still show Disney movies? ABC Family has made a (wonderful) habit of flooding our weekends with classic Disney movies from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs to Tangled — and that’s not ending anytime soon. “Don’t be ridiculous,” says Shadowhunters‘ Dominic Sherwood. “We love Disney movies!”
3. What does “Freeform” mean, anyway? OK, here’s where things start to get a little more interpretive. According to Switched at Birth‘s Vanessa Marano, “Freeform” means “no boundaries.” It’s a place where you “make up your own rules” and “anything is possible.” (I hope she’s kidding about that “appropriately clothed” part, though.)
4. Why change the network’s name at all? ABC Family lets Shadowhunters‘ Isaiah Mustafa handle this one: Apparently, the network wants to be more like its audience, more “inquisitive.” He says it’s becoming a place to “grow, ask questions and even change your name if you want to.” (I already did.)
5. Lastly, will ABC Family’s channel change? This one’s easy: Nope!
ABC Family junkies, what are your thoughts on the network’s big name change? Drop ’em in a comment below.