Chicago Fire Season 4 Spoilers

Chicago Fire Stars Talk 'Dawsey's' MIA Ring and 'Inconsequential' Marriage

Chicago Fire‘s Casey and Dawson have been reunited for nine episodes now, and yet, he’s failed to put a ring (back) on it. So why haven’t the formerly engaged firefighters reclaimed their old relationship status?

According to star Jesse Spencer, a re-proposal is simply unnecessary after everything the pair has been through.

“In their hearts and minds, they are already married,” the actor explains. “They’re together. I don’t see them breaking up. I, as Jesse, would be traumatized if they had to break up at this point. I’m a big [‘Dawsey’] shipper. But the actual marriage is inconsequential.”

And even if the couple wanted to get hitched officially, there’s a rule preventing firefighters who are wedded to one another from serving together. “I don’t know how [the characters] would make [marriage] work,” Spencer admits, adding that Dawson “would have to move on to another house. That’s not going to work.”

As for that rock Dawson once wore, co-star Monica Raymund reveals that the show hasn’t addressed its current location — at least, it hadn’t when the upcoming crossover was filmed. “I don’t know where the hell that ring is!” the actress exclaims. “I’m assuming it’s in a drawer in a box somewhere. But I have no idea. In the meantime, we’re just going to do a mental ring around the finger and call it a day.”

But that raises the question: How would Dawson introduce Casey to someone who doesn’t know him?

“‘This is the love of my life, Matt Casey. Matt, stranger,'” Raymund suggests with a laugh. “‘This is my almost baby daddy… Here’s my complicated other half.’ Can we just say, ‘It’s complicated’? We’ll just say that, like a Facebook status.”

Chicago Fire returns Jan. 5 at 9/8c on NBC with the franchise’s first three-way crossover.

1. smartysenior says:

I don’t like them together so this is bad news. I hoped they would break up and be work buddies while dating others outside of work.

2. Liz says:

Love them together. 😍😍 can’t wait for the show to come back 2016!

3. Josh says:

It kinda pisses me off how Dawson and Casey are the only people in that firehouse who can be together. The only couple that can stay together. I liked Cruz/Brett and I like Jimmy/Chilli

4. Steven says:

So glad Jesse Spencer is also a Dawsey shipper! I love them together, I don’t know how it would work, but I want that wedding!

5. Bwhit says:

Loved Monica and Jesse’s explanation of their relationship. This is the Dawson and Casey dynamic I always hoped for, with little drama and support of each other.

6. Nancy says:

Awww. Love them. But I want a wedding

7. Cassie says:

Honestly I don’t care if there is an engagement or a ring but if we are supposed to believe they are a couple in love then why aren’t we seeing that on the screen. So far I’ve seen more passion between Mouch and his couch.

8. Laura C says:

I like them together but I don’t care if they are married, as long as they are committed to each other so they can work together- maybe a wedding down the road. I don’t like the Chili character, she’s a flake, in a different way than Shay (didn’t like her either).

9. Lyse says:

I mean am I the only one who would have maybe wanted to see a dawson/severide option? I realy enjoyed them together in the wake of Shay’s passing

10. travoncia01 says:

I totally love them together. She has loved him since the first episode and they belong together. If a wedding happens, wonderful, but I don’t necessarily need it to happen for them. They are totally soulmates

11. Mar says:

Can’t stand – and never could stand – Dawson. Would love to see Casey with someone – anyone – else
    Also – what the hell are they doing too Chili? Don’t like the way her character is going at all.

• Silen says:

I agree. I never liked her, and it turned even worse when she became a firefighter. And since she and casey are together he is the most boring caracter ever

• reesa says:

say whaaaat? for me, she is like the strongest, fiercest person ever. I adore her! I want to be her!

12. delfiteblu says:

I have never liked him but I was okay with them getting together. Then when he was such a jerk, in so many ways, I didn’t WANT them together. There’s something about him that makes me feel he’s only half there – like he should be wearing a tin foil hat. “In their hearts their married.”? Yeah, right. Guys have been using THAT one for 100 years.

13. delfiteblu says:

As there long as there are a bunch of fans here – surely I can’t be the only one who thinks there is a “problem” with Chili. That night when she was home by herself and Jimmy came over and the way she shrieks when they make out in the fire house – at first I thought she was an alcoholic but now I think it’s something else.