The Passion Fox Tyler Perry

Fox Orders Live Easter Musical Special The Passion, Hosted by Tyler Perry

Jesus Christ Lotsofstars?

Tyler Perry will narrate and host a star-packed production of the Easter musical The Passion, which will air on Fox on Palm Sunday, the network announced Tuesday.

The two-hour live musical event will be broadcast from New Orleans; though the production promises big names performing popular music, the cast has not yet been announced. Adam Anders (Glee) will arrange the musical numbers.

The Passion is a modern retelling of the last days of Jesus of Nazareth’s life, ending with his crucifixion and resurrection. Fox’s ambitious staging will involve many iconic New Orleans locations, “culminating in a procession of hundreds carrying a 20-foo, illuminated cross from Champion Square outside the Superdome to the live stage at Woldenburg Park on the banks of the Mississippi River,” the network’s release states.

The telecast will be produced by dick clark productions, Eye2Eye Media (which created a similar event, pictured at right, in The Netherlands in 2011) and Anders Media Inc.

The Passion will air on March 20, 2016. Fox’s previously announced other live musical event, Grease: Live, will air on Jan. 31.

Got thoughts on The Passion? Who would you like to see in the cast? Sound off in the comments!

1. Luc says:

the Netherlands actually makes a new version every year! It’s very popular!
    Can’t wait for the American version

2. Daya says:

You know, I recently thought of someone who would do a really good job in the role of Pontius Pilatus…and I didn’t write it down. I think it was Jason Isaacs. (Can you imagine?)

Of course, I’d settle for repeat performances from Stephen Moyer or Greg Hicks, too. (If you can get the latter to leave Spain long enough…hee hee…)

3. sme012 says:

Not sure who should be in the cast. All I can say is that it’s been very successful in the Netherlands. Over here they use popular modern music to tell the story. And because of that they reach and touch young people. It also touches people who aren’t (very) religious. I’m not sure the concept will work in the US. I’m curious to see it though.

4. steven says:

Black Jesus, anybody?

5. Amparo Pikarsky says:

OberammerGlee…

6. Marco says:

As long as Madea is nowhere near this…

7. KT says:

Just as long as it’s not called “Tyler Perry’s The Passion, presented by Tyler Perry.”

8. JB says:

I’m so not going to comment on this mess of an idea so I’ll comment on the article itself, what the heck is “a 20-foo”?

9. Jennifer says:

OK. First, let me say I am a Roman Catholic born and raised. while I have no issue with this, I can see some of the very right Christian groups having SERIOUS issues with this.

On another note, why is something like this (with popular music) OK? If this were performed about Mohammed, there would be boycotts and threats and heaven knows what else? If I remember my Catholic school classes, Islam recognizes Jesus as a prophet – the same as Mohammed. So why is one OK, but not the other?

• CBK says:

Since when did Christians have a problem with other Christians (Tyler Perry) depicting Jesus? To many Christians, popular music and popular adaptations are celebrated as ways of worship and spreading the message. No single group of Christians has a monopoly on what depiction is fine and what isn’t. It seems to me like you’re just looking to set up some strawman argument with another religion.

10. Annie atheist says:

This is just gross. Why is this invading a major network? O right because fox has its own agenda. And a musical at that? Lol who wants to sing a tune about that time this guy was posted up? Just wrong. This is what church is for. There needs to be a separation of church and everything else.

• Drew says:

Like some sort of… Segregation?
      Why shouldn’t religious people be allowed to be open with their beliefs?

• Eatoin Shrdlu says:

Sorry, but the Constitution only provides for separation of church (meaning religion) and state (meaning the government). Last I checked, whatever delusions of grandeur Murdock may have, Fox wasn’t part of the government!

You don’t want to see this? Exercise the same right I exercised AND DON’T WATCH1

• Layni Brand says:

Actually there is no mention of separation of church and state in the constitution. That is something that lawmakers and government says so that they can discriminate against Christians. I am a HUGE history lover and have researched this to show other people that it is not mentioned in the constitution.

• Etaoin Shrdlu says:

Oh please, not the “it’s not LITERALLY in the Constitution” argument. You know what’s wrong with that? Find me where the following words and phrases are LITERALLY mentioned in the Constitution:

Separation of Powers

Checks and Balances

Veto

Override

States’ Rights

You won’t find them “mentioned” either. Do you deny they exist?

Like those principles (or concepts) the phrase “Separation of Church and State” describes what both IS included and what is DELIBERATELY OMITTED from the Constitution. For example, there’s no mention of Jesus by name or of Christianity in any of its legal provisions. Indeed, the word “religion” only appears in what I like to call the “Three No’s”:

1) No religious test for public office. (Article 6, Paragraph 3) Which forbids barring Christians from public office, and also forbids barring non-Christians (even Atheists) as well.

2) No establishment of religion. (First Amendment) Which prevents the government from telling us to believe, what to believe, or who and how to pray.

3) No prohibiting the free exercise thereof (religion, that is). (First Amendment again) Which prevents the government from stopping us from believing or praying as we wish.

Put that all together, and you have Separation of Church and State.

And since you claim to love history, perhaps you’d like to hear what some of the Founders (particularly the men who wrote the Constitution) had to say on this subject.

Alexander Hamilton, in Federalist Paper Number 69, contrasted the President with the British Monarchy by noting that while the latter is “the supreme head and governor of the national church”, in contrast the President “has no particle of spiritual jurisdiction”.

James Madison (the “Father of the Constitution”) stated “religion and Govt. will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together . . . . Religion flourishes in greater purity, without than with the aid of Government.”. – Letter to Edward Livingston (7/10/1822), on page 789 of – “James Madison, Writings” (The Library of America, 1999) page 789.

(I have more from other Founders if you’d like to see it.)

P.S. – In my experience it is Christian lawmakers and politicians who most frequently try to discriminate against non-Christians. Remember the fuss that arose when Congressman Ellis wanted to take his oath on the Koran, and “Christians” insisted only the Bible would do? A direct attempt to violate the No Religious Test Clause!

11. Adam says:

“What can go wrong?!”

12. Jake says:

What the actual….yeah, nevermind, Fox? Tyler Perry needs to focus getting new writers for HAHN.

13. Drew says:

Bad idea. By the time this makes it to air, politics will have Christians offended because their beliefs are being belittled and twisted, and non-Christians offended because Christianity is being depicted on TV.
    It is just a bad idea. I would be shocked if it turned out well.

14. mary dowdell jeffries says:

Hello Tyler perry I would like my daughter maya c. Dowdell jeffries to be a part of your cast. She can sing. Maya is a recent college graduate. She belongs to first baptist church of lincoln gardens. Located in somerset nj. She sings with the mass choir, young adult and praise and worship team. Please go onto the website firstbaptist church of Lincoln gardens on line streaming week of Nov 8th 2015. The solo is called WORTH. There is also has a couple of rehearsal songs on utube. Visit maya dowdell jeffries and check those out as well. You will love her. She is a great Christian young lady. Well grounded.

15. KevyB says:

Yay! Another retelling of a fictional story – the only proof that exists of Jesus’s cruicifixion is a record that someone with that name WAS actually crucified. The rest of it was created solely to incite hatred against Jews, something Mel Gibson did his part to exacerbate. This is something that REALLY REALLY needs to NEVER go away!

• Eatoin Shrdlu says:

Don’t you mean it SHOULD go away? (I’m just remarking on the contradiction between the start of your Comment and its conclusion.)

16. Mary Eckloff says:

Awesome, Tyler Perry! You go for standing up for Jesus, Hollywood has been shy about God, I can’t wait to watch. I think you should see how many actors and musical artist that would participate. Maybe that night ask all believers of Jesus to text this. (Russell Crowe)

• Eatoin Shrdlu says:

Hollywood (Noah) has been shy (Exodus: Gods and Kings) about God (Luther, The Ten Commandments, Ben-Hur, The Greatest Story Ever Told, etc., etc., etc.)? What world do you live on.

I’ll agree there are more “snuff” films being made these days (like the nauseating Saw series), but whose fault is that really? The people who pay to see them.

How about some films about what happened AFTER the Crucifixion. You know, things like the ALMOST 2,000 YEARS OF PERSECUTION, TORTURE, AND MURDER OF JEWS “in the name of Jesus”! Now there’s a film I’d like to see Fox make.

17. Christie says:

I am very happy that a television station is doing this. I am a boomer and remember that there were tons of religious movies and specials on TV from Palm Sunday through Easter. Of course, no one dare do that anymore! Even though I prefer a traditional setting, I am going to be tuning into this show, which is billed as a modern retelling of the greatest story ever told. Good for you for doing this!!! I hope you do more every year at this season. Easter takes such a backseat to Christmas (which is now almost totally commercialized anyway), but Easter always has been my favorite holiday.

• Eatoin Shrdlu says:

As I just asked Mary Eckloff, what planet do you live on?

Maybe we aren’t “overwhelmed” with endless shows about “the true meaning of Easter” the way we are with Christmas (probably necessary due to the very commercialism you rightfully decry), but there are usually plenty of Easter or Biblical films on at this time of year (such as those mentioned in my other Comment).

18. Etaoin Shrdlu says:

I wonder how this will deal with the blatant ANTI-SEMITISM in the source material, which does all it can to “exonerate” the Romans (particularly Pilate). Complete with the fairy tale about their being a “Passover Custom” of allowing a howling mob to decide who lives and who dies. (Funny thing, outside of the “Gospels” there’s no record of such a custom EVER existing at ANY time or ANY place in the entire history of the world. Executive clemency? Sure, but NEVER at the insistence of a mob, and NEVER exercised as a “choice” between two prisoners, one to go free and one to die!)

19. Kianta Perez says:

Jencarlos Canela and Prince Royce

20. leigh says:

I wish you would rerun this. I missed it and would love to see it.

21. Layni Brand says:

I watched it when it aired and loved it. I wish that they would show things like this more often. Maybe then more people would see how horrifying crucifixion really is. Very few actually understand the true brutality of it. I loved who they picked for the cast. Kudos to Tyler Perry for hosting this and letting his beliefs be known. Also, Kudos to ALL the actors, actresses and singers that were a part of the cast. It was amazing. Hope they show it again. :)

• Eatoin Shrdlu says:

I don’t have to watch a rape or a murder to know how horrifying it is. Neither did I have to watch the “snuff film” that Gibson’s “The Passion” was to know that crucifixion is an agonizing way to die. Sorry if your imagination requires graphic displays to get the point.