The Voice Season 9 Finale Preview: Can Jordan Be Stopped? We Weigh the Pros and Cons of the Top 4!

Twice in the last month, The Voice‘s Jordan Smith has knocked Adele off the top of the iTunes Top 200 singles chart. So you can’t blame his three remaining rivals if they’re heading into the Season 9 performance finale (tonight, 8/7c on NBC) feeling like they’re trying to slay a dragon armed with butter knives and wooden spoons.

Of course, as the old saying goes, it ain’t over ’til the confetti drops from the ceiling and Carson Daly screams the winner’s name like he’s Oprah giving away 500 free cars. And as Voice aficionados know all too well, a contestant is only as strong as his or her last performance.

That’s why I’ve put together a gallery running down the strengths and weaknesses of the Top 4 — Emily Ann Roberts, Jeffery Austin, Barrett Baber and the aforementioned Adele-slayer — along with links to their best performances and their odds of winning.

Check out the gallery below for my Season 9 assessment — or click here for direct access — then hit the comments with your own thoughts and predictions.

1. SK says:

I’m sorry to say this but I believe one of Blake’s will win because people vote for Blake, not the contestant. Case in point, Craig Wayne Boyd who was not as good as Matt McAndrew at all. I’m hoping Jordan wins but my hopes are not up.

• Timmah says:

I’m a little more optimistic. I want Jordan to win and I think he will. McAndrew didn’t really blow me away with his talent like Jordan does. But if one of Blake’s does win this time, they might as well cancel the show because it means that having “the voice” has become irrelevant to it.

• Debbie Martinez says:

I think you are crazy. It has nothing to do with Blake. Just because he is a popular judge does not mean people vote for Him. By the way dip there has only been 2 country singers to win.

• Spot on. Country fans vote and they are loyal to Blake. Emily Ann could take it, will probably be second to Jordan. I can see my fave Jefferey come in 4th. I still love him the best.

• lace says:

If that is the case, how did Sawyer win? He was not on Blake’s team.

2. gracelessk says:

No, he can’t because the votes are cumulative from the season. Jeffrey could go out and bring the house down, literally slay dragons, save ailing grandmothers, cure cancer and kiss every baby in the building, but unfortunately, because of the rules, Jordan is bring an insurmountable amount of votes into the finale. But then again, when has The Voice ever been one for true suspense?

3. Lindsey says:

There’s mention of Blake’s voting block in the slideshow and I’m confused by this idea that there is a country music conspiracy happening on the voice. In 8 seasons there have only been 2 actual country singers win and 1 (C. Pope) who is only now taking a stab at country. So that’s 3 out of 8. Doesn’t seem like a conspiracy to me.

4. shaw says:

Is it just me or has anyone that’s been on this show, have they become successful?

• Timmah says:

Unless collecting a guitar case full of change at the street corner counts as successful, I’m going to say no.

• Trent says:

Melanie Martinez, RaeLynn and probably Cassadee Pope are the 3 biggest names to come out of the show, and even then they’re not widely popular

• Sally says:

Danielle Bradbury and Cassadee Pope and the Swon Brothers did well in album sales and produced two hit singles. Gwen Sebastian sang backup and a duet with Blake and got a record contract and made an album. Craig Wayne Boyd’s single debuted at number one on Billboard, breaking a record set by Garth Brooks in 1990. Boyd has also played 200 concerts including the Grand Ole Opry and opening for Rascal Flats in Las Vegas in the last year,

5. bradybunch4u says:

I hope Jeffrey wins. Long shot but his voice is current and recognizable.

Jordan leaves me cold. Great voice no emotion.

Emily could be another Carrie. Country is not my thing. But I can see her potential.

6. Arlene fields says:

If Jordan does not win something is terribly wrong g.I know Blake is a favorite and people just vote for his team but Barrett inconsistent as they come.butchered ghost and Delta dawn.ilyann cute okay very stiff.Jeffrey smooth second place.Jordan flawless phenomenon

7. Arlene fields says:

Let me add if Jordan does not win they might as well cancel the show.

8. jakis says:

I do not think Jordan can be stopped. And I’m not over Barrett taking the spot that should’ve been Madi’s, so I will probably tune in to see Jeffery sing and then tune out.

• Carla Feller says:

Madi should have been in the final four……… I agree with you. Barrett makes me ill…. so full of himself and has the attitude of entitlement.

9. Dave says:

Even though Jeffery won’t win he has three really good songs tonight – Stay by Sugarland, O Holy Night for the religious crowd and Leather and Lace with Gwen. They all sound great on iTunes.

Jordan is doing Climb Every Mountain which of course will drive the judges Crazy.

I would like Jeffery to at least be in the no. 3 spot tomorrow. He deserves it.

• That’s funny you say he has a song for the religious croud. He’s gay. If you read the Bible you will see that being gay is called a detestable act and is compared to sleeping with animals and family members.

• Jules says:

Oh Bruce! Please just shut your pie hole. Nobody wants to hear about your personal life.

• MK says:

What in the world does that have to do with the fact the he is singing a Religious Song?! He didn’t do a good job on the song…but what does his being gay have to do with singing a Religious song? Geez… A lot of people are standing in Church Choirs every Sunday that many other people would label as some form of sinner using their own self determined scale of right and wrong!

• rallypoint10 says:

I told my wife before Jordan sang Climb Every Mountain that I didn’t think the song choice was a particularly good one. After his performance, I told her he should already be on Broadway. Whether or not it was a good choice turned out to be beside the point. Great performance of an old standard. MY rankings: [1] Jordan (by a long shot); [2] Jeffery; [3] Barrett (often flat and loses musicality, but good energy); [4] Emily Ann (mostly flat all the time, being an attractive woman AND singing country on Blake’s team really helped her because talent alone doesn’t get it).

10. Trent says:

For some strange reason I think Emily Ann may have a shot at dethroning Jordan, but we’ll see

• Leeanne says:

I think Emily is the real deal . She is an entertainer who reaches the crowd in a way beyond her years . And she also has a great voice .
      I am a fan of Jordan also and really feel he has the best voice of all both in quality and range . But we will see…..

• rallypoint10 says:

OMG — She is SO flat on almost every song….she has the good looks to become another Carrie Underwood type if she could just carry a tune in a bucket….

11. Pam Fincher says:

There are a great number of people who really do not like or think Jordan is the “one”. I truly wish he had not been coronated by some judges and the press. Three others are just or more deserving.

12. MK says:

I will just never understand why the judges will not be honest with the artists! I realize live TV shows are more nerve wracking, however, Jeffrey and Emily need feedback! O Holy Night is an incredibly beautiful song, but Jeffrey botched it horribly!! And Emily could not possibly have done a more injustice to Blue Christmas. Just amazes me that the judges just say you were awesome, when it is not true!!

• Jerri Keegan says:

That is what I meant by the producers having a way of picking who they want to win. I agree her version of Blue Christmas, left me wondering why the judges thought it was so wonderful ?????

13. courtney heath says:

I say the girl is going to win she is a very good singer I have never heard a voice like that girl I think ur going to win hope u do…. Good luck

14. Lucie says:

I kind of fast forward through the show, pausing at the stage performances and if I like it I listen to the entire song. The two artists that I consistently listen to are Emily Ann and Jeffrey. As much as many of you don’t believe that Barrett deserved a place in the final 4, he is next in line for most captivating performance but I do sometimes ff through him as well. I almost always ff through Jordan. I thought he had a beautiful voice at the beginning of the show, but nothing has changed. He hasn’t taken risks. Every song is one big ballad after another. My wish would be that Jeffrey wins because Emily Ann will have a successful career regardless. If Jordan wins, he will fizzle right after he puts out his Christmas album.

15. Saskatchewan Gal says:

Jordan sounds like Christopher Cross. It’s ok but I don’t see him on mainstream anything.

16. Ridicon says:

Thought “Mary Have You Heard” was the highlight and his duet with Adam really good. Loved Jeffrey’s take on “Stay” and his duet with Gwen. Thought Barrett’s duet with Blake showed the weaknesses in his voice when matched up with Blake though his solo “If I Died Tonight” was very good. Emily Ann held her own with Blake and did a great job with “Burning House.” My favourite for tone and emotion is Jeffrey but overall I think Jordan will win.

17. Sandi says:

If Jordan doesn’t win, something is very wrong the “Voice Land”!!

18. Karen says:

I really hope America does the right thing and makes Jordan the winner he is flawless and just is a blessing to listen to.

19. Jessica says:

Obviously Jordan’s voice is amazing, great, etc. But, Jeffrey has authenticity, and such a beautiful and unique voice. I love his tone, and I cannot believe that he’s considered an underdog with one chair to turn. I mean, really, is that where music is going? He needs to win. After not singing for 6 years, and this comes out?! True talent, and I’m hoping Jeffrey takes the crown. Emily Ann and Jordan will be fine after this, but Jeffrey NEEDS this, for his confidence, and his continuation in the music world.

20. wayne miller says:

Jordan should win he is awesome and will win hands down when he sings it sends chills through my body them long notes unreal and yes he blows Adel ou4 of water gd luck Jordan best season ever

21. Thom Brown says:

Jordan is the voice. His tone, phrasing, and range are magnificence. He’s Expert, the rest except, Jeffrey are novices. If JORDAN doesn’t win, I’ll not be a faithful viewer in seasons to come. Hopfully Blake’s 2 finilist will split votes, so the deserved winner JORDAN will win.

22. Stephanie Douglas says:

I hope Barrett wins tonight he is good! And Emily Ann be runner up!

23. LR says:

I think Gordon smith should win he is the best. when you can change notes that’s what one call a singer…..

24. Grant says:

Wait a minute Jordan can sing anything while everyone else is one dimensional. He has been flawless compared to everyone else and does things no one else can. Unfortunate for him he has been a front runner and some get tired of that. Blake was right Emily might be able to upset but it would be an upset.

25. Jerri Keegan says:

This has been the best season. I have enjoyed every minute. I can’t say who will win, they are all very talented. I sometimes think though that the producers have a hand in who they want to win. It will be very interesting tonight to see who does. Good luck to all!

26. Misty says:

I LOVE ADAM BUT I LOVE MY BLAKE. AN I WANT ONE OF THEM TO WIN SO BAD IM A COUNTRY GIRL AN I SAY WE NEED MORE COUNTRY SINGER’S:)