The Leftovers Season 3

The Leftovers Renewed for Third and 'Wildly Ambiguous' Final Season

The Leftovers will not be making a sudden departure from the TV landscape: HBO has renewed the acclaimed yet low-rated drama for a third and final season.

“It is with great enthusiasm that we welcome back Damon Lindelof, Tom Perrotta and the extraordinary talent behind The Leftovers for its third and final season,” said HBO president Michael Lombardo in a statement. “This show has proven to be one of the most distinctive HBO series and we are extremely proud of its unrivaled originality, which has resulted in such a passionate following by our HBO viewers. We admire and fully support Damon’s artistic vision and respect his decision to bring the show to its conclusion next season.”

Added Lindelof: “I have never, ever experienced the level of creative support and trust that I have received from HBO during the last two seasons of The Leftovers. Tom, myself and our incredible team of writers and producers put tremendous care into designing those seasons as novels unto themselves…with beginnings, middles and ends. As we finished our most recent season, it became clear to us that the series as a whole was following the same model…and with our beginning and middle complete, the most exciting thing for us as storytellers would be to bring The Leftovers to a definitive end. And by ‘definitive,’ we mean ‘wildly ambiguous but hopefully mega-emotional,’ as all things related to this show are destined to be.

“On behalf of our incredible crew and superb cast, we are all tremendously grateful that HBO is giving us an opportunity to conclude the show on our own terms,” Lindelof continued. “An opportunity like this one rarely comes along, and we have every intention of living up to it. One more thing. We are blessed by the unwavering support of our fans and the incredibly powerful voice of the critical community. We feel absolutely privileged to heat up one last helping of leftovers.”

HBO’s release made no mention of where Season 3 will be set or which cast members will be back, but Lindelof recently hinted to TVLine that he has big plans fort Scott Glenn, who plays the father of Justin Theroux’s Kevin. “Scott is a starting pitcher that we have used as a relieving pitcher,” he said. “I would really like to see some more of Kevin Senior. And not just in the present, but in the past.”

1. garlick2 says:

Season one was pretty depressing. I really enjoyed the zaniness of season 2, and am now looking forward to what comes from Season 3.

2. Sofie says:

I’m in shock, so excited and overjoyed by these news! I’m 7 episodes into a complete rewatch right now. I didn’t expect this decision to come so soon either. A M A Z I N G ! ! !

3. Amanda says:

Thank you to TVLine and all of the critics who wrote amazing things about this show and didn’t let it die!

4. webly3 says:

I’m super excited, but I’m also a little upset that the show is ending so early. With such ambiguity in the show, I feel like it has so much life still.

5. Stephanie says:

YESSSSS!!!!! I’ve been waiting for this news for months!!! I definitely wish it was for more than one season, though, but I’m thrilled just the same!

6. Adam Bramble says:

I am so happy now. Made my day.

7. Julia says:

Such great news! Happy to see that it was renewed. Disappointed that the third season will be the last, but thrilled that the writers will be able to set up a conclusion the way they want to.

8. Stephanie A. says:

I’m thrilled to hear this! The Leftovers is fantastic. In my opinion, season 2 ranks up there with the first season of True Detective, and for the same reasons: compelling, deeply human characters who you end up really caring about. Justin Theroux is beyond incredible and deserves every award out there – I’ve never felt so attached to (and worried about, cried over, etc.) a character in my life. The supporting cast is terrific as well. I would love a few more seasons (I don’t know…20, maybe 25?), but this is still fantastic news!!! Made my day.

• Erin B says:

Very excited too! I still can’t comprehend how Justin Theroux didn’t get any nominations this week. I get choked up just thinking about “Homeward Bound.”

9. N says:

I’m so happy! I loved the 2nd season!

10. BrightLight says:

I’m so thrilled by this news! I haven’t loved an HBO series this much since “The Wire”.

11. fiberlicious says:

So, Damon Lindelof is ending a show without explaining its unfollowable twists and turns. Show of hands – Who’s shocked?

Yeah, that’s what I thought.

• Hilary says:

Oh goodness gracious, shut up and get over it already.

• Dysturbed says:

Any explanation given in Lost had to be accepted as fact, even if we didn’t like it whereas coming up with our own conclusions based on given information meant that none of us could be wrong. Perhaps that is lazy on the writer’s part, but considering how fun it was to read people’s far out theories while the show was on, I kind of like knowing that nobody was technically wrong in some cases.

• Rich says:

Life isn’t wrapped up in a nice shiny package. Get over it.

12. Lisa says:

Soooooo happpppy!!! Thank you HBO. I wish theyd give us like 12 episodes or 15-16 over two years but ill take what I can get

13. Tim says:

Praise Jesus!

• Rachel Quinn says:

This show has to be one of the most addictive series I have ever seen, I can’t imagine where the departed are or have gone, and I want to know more than anything, I have a feeling (due to the brilliant mind of Mimi Leder) that I will be shocked of the outcome., best show ever., kudos

14. D. says:

Happy and sad at the same time

15. justsomeguy says:

Oh Damon, don’t ever change lol

16. Spence says:

Happy, but selfishly sad at the same time. This show is so great, I never want it to end!

17. Yoko says:

What’s up with HBO and cancelling after 3?! Newsroom, Getting On, and now this.

18. Carla says:

Such a mind bender! All the characters are dynamic and diverse. Bravo to the writers and producers. Look forward to round 3.

19. Phillip says:

Christmas came early!!! So happy we get more of The Leftovers!!!

20. Jakay says:

Phew! I can relax.

21. Stephanie S says:

I love this show, the writers, directors and cast members are dynamic!!! I am so sad that season 3 will be the last one but I look forward to watching it. I hope HBO brings in more shows like this one!!

22. Miranda says:

This is frankly miraculous news. Watching that finale I was so *worried* because that would have been a perfect ending for the series but I still want to see more of these characters.
    I hope they stay in Jarden and that the season gets bumped up to 13 episodes. 10 did not feel enough.

23. Rich says:

I’m so glad they’re announcing now that the conclusion will be wildly ambiguous. I wouldn’t want anything else from one of my favorite series of the last few years.

24. R.O.B. says:

Somebody please give the music composer of The Leftovers all of the awards. Not only for the underlying main theme but the genius theme music that was composed for the hotel scenes. It actually made me laugh out loud when I heard it again in the final episode. I want to play all of this music in the background of my life, just to make things more interesting…

25. Rebeca says:

Are these ideas being put in the sequal?

26. Holy Wayne says: