Golden Globe Nominees 2016

Golden Globes: Outlander, Mr. Robot, Transparent and American Crime Lead Nominations; Gaga, Crazy Ex Get Nods

Nominations for the 73rd annual Golden Globe Awards are being announced on Thursday morning, and Starz’s Outlander was among TV’s most recognized programs, collecting three total nods.

Also netting three apiece were FX’s Fargo, USA Network’s Mr. Robot, Amazon’s Transparent, ABC’s American Crime and BBC Two’s Wolf Hall.

Netflix enjoyed the biggest bounty with eight total nominations, followed by HBO (seven) and Starz (six). Of note: a full quarter of this year’s nominees come from streaming series vs. broadcast or cable.

Among the first-time Globe nominees are American Horror Story: Hotel‘s Lady Gaga and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend star Rachel Bloom.

The Golden Globes will be broadcast by NBC on Sunday, Jan. 10, 2016, and hosted by Ricky Gervais for the fifth time.

Here is the list of TV’s nominees — now share your raves and rants in the Comments.

• DRAMA SERIES
Empire
Game of Thrones
Mr. Robot
Outlander
Narcos

• DRAMA – ACTOR
Jon Hamm, Mad Men (also a SAG Award nominee)
Rami Malek, Mr. Robot (also a SAG Award nominee)
Wagner Moura, Narcos
Bob Odenkirk, Better Call Saul (also a SAG Award nominee)
Liev Schreiber, Ray Donovan

• DRAMA – ACTRESS
Caitriona Balfe, Outlander
Viola Davis, How to Get Away With Murder (also a SAG Award nominee)
Eva Green, Penny Dreadful
Taraji P. Henson, Empire
Robin Wright, House of Cards (also a SAG Award nominee)

• COMEDY OR MUSICAL SERIES
Casual
Mozart in the Jungle
Orange Is the New Black
Silicon Valley
Transparent
Veep

• COMEDY OR MUSICAL SERIES – ACTRESS
Rachel Bloom, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
Jamie Lee Curtis, Scream Queens
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep (also a SAG Award nominee)
Gina Rodriguez, Jane the Virgin
Lily Tomlin, Grace & Frankie

• COMEDY OR MUSICAL SERIES – ACTOR
Aziz Anzari, Master of None
Gael García Bernal, Mozart in the Jungle
Rob Lowe, The Grinder
Patrick Stewart, Blunt Talk
Jeffrey Tambor, Transparent (also a SAG Award nominee)

• TV-MOVIE OR MINISERIES
American Crime
American Horror Story: Hotel
Fargo
Flesh & Bone
Wolf Hall

• TV-MOVIE OR MINISERIES – ACTOR
Idris Elba, Luther (also a SAG Award nominee)
Oscar Isaac, Show Me a Hero
David Oyelowo, Nightingale
Mark Rylance, Wolf Hall (also a SAG Award nominee)
Patrick Wilson, Fargo

• TV-MOVIE OR MINISERIES – ACTRESS
Lady Gaga, American Horror Story: Hotel
Kirsten Dunst, Fargo
Sarah Hay, Flesh & Bone
Felicity Huffman, American Crime
Queen Latifah, Bessie (also a SAG Award nominee)

• SERIES, TV-MOVIE OR MINISERIES – SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Uzo Aduba, Orange Is the New Black (also a SAG Award nominee)
Joanne Froggatt, Downton Abbey
Regina King, American Crime
Judith Light, Transparent
Maura Tierney, The Affair

• SERIES, TV-MOVIE OR MINISERIES – SUPPORTING ACTOR
Alan Cumming, The Good Wife
Damian Lewis, Wolf Hall
Ben Mendelsohn, Bloodline
Tobias Menzies, Outlander
Christian Slater, Mr. Robot

Again: The Golden Globes will be broadcast by NBC on Sunday, Jan. 10, to be hosted by Ricky Gervais.

1. Mak says:

The 2 lowest rated CW Primetime shows are award favs…I guess CW has to find some other shows to cancel…
    Happy for Jamie Lee Curtis – Scream Queens & Regina King…Well deserved nominations

• MissEllys says:

Well, they’re going to cancel Reign

• No they won’t.Its close to syndication,Netfkux requires four seasons and CW Dosent want all genre/superhero shows plus Reign is in s3 getting CEG s1 fall-before DST-ratings.Rember BatB ,it’s the lowest rated show,was put on hiatus but renewed for two more seasons.Reign is also partly co financed by Canada,

• Ally Oop says:

I’m thinking Containment is DOA but I’m wondering if CW will cancel anything else (other than already cancelled Beauty and the Beast). I think Reign might get a shorter 13 episode final season renewal. As for where they can fit in new shows next year, I think they could air done series during a midseason hiatus with new episodes of various shows into July.

• I agree about Containment-it’s undcheduled as if yet & people laughed in a bad way at it at CC. I also agree sbout Reigngetting a short fourth & final season next sesson,I think CEG gets cancelled too-very low ratings ,especially for a new show and a partial backorder isn’t a good sign.Im not sure Rachel’s Globe Jim will save it.I also belive The 100&IZombie are in danger

• Dude says:

I see them cancelling Reign and Crazy Ex. Jane the Virgin has a lot of online buzz and awards/critical attention that I think saves it but Crazy Ex doesn’t have as much of either.

• Mak says:

….Viola Davis, Taraji, Jon Freaking Hamm, Empire…no complaints here, glad to see these talents recognized.

• Steven says:

Gina and Rachel are both amazing. I hope this means The CW will find a way to keep Crazy Ex around.

• johnhelvete says:

JTV had a .48 average in the demo to go along with those nominations and win for Rodriguez. Crazy Ex GF has one nomination and a .29 average in the demo. Crazy Ex GF is going to need a ratings uptick due to the GG nomination to get renewed and Bloom winning would help as well.

2. ajspree says:

glad to see Maura Tierney get recognition for The Affair. She has made this season riveting.

3. MissEllys says:

Happy to see Gina nominated again!

4. Kyle says:

YESSSSS! To Jamie Lee for Scream Queens! I love that damn woman! Rooting for her :)

5. Luk says:

for now, interesting nominations. Happy to see Mr. Robot, Outlander, Mozart in the Jungle and others there.

• Lena120 says:

I am so shocked and PLEASED that Outlander, Mr. Robot, Penny Dreadful and Narcos got some love. Eva Green is a force on PD, and Wagner Moura is excellent in Narcos. The only that would have made it better is if Pedro Pascal received a supporting nod, because he’s the other best thing about that show.

6. grace says:

YAY for Rachel Bloom!!!!
    Maybe the show would get S2!!
    soooooo happy!

7. CBK says:

I like the nominees so far. My main complaint would be the supporting actor/actress bloodbath. With the exception of Uzo Aduba and Judith Light, the comedic performances in supporting roles got shut out by more dramatic roles.

• Lauren says:

Yeah. If they’re going to cram so much into one category, they should at least extend the number of nominees. Maybe base it on the amount of votes like the Academy Awards does best picture. So there could be as few as 5 or up to 8.

8. dan says:

Alan Cumming… Now that’s a nomination I can never understand. He’s by far the weakest link on The Good Wife.

• It is unbelievable how wrong you are.

• Benington says:

I agree 100 %. Alan Cumming is brilliant but since when is The Good Wife a mini-series!

• dan says:

He plays a straight guy with all the gay affectation he shouldn’t be using — faces and tones and gestures, everything highly inappropriate for the role. If they had made Gold gay from the start, I’d completely agree with the choice. And he should never be a comic relief as the governor’s chief of staff. He’s not even written like that, but merely as someone who should be smart, stressed and dealing with constant crises, not having fits like a teen girl.

• Timmah says:

I think he’s great. He’s the perfect comic relief for that show.

9. Al says:

How does AHS keep getting nominated

10. Camilla says:

Lady Gaga’s monotone acting? I know the GG’s are a popularity contest but at least get SOME standards re: acting and not be so blatant, lol.

11. ajspree says:

wow @ narcos

12. S says:

Thrilled for Catriona Balde, shocked Sam Huegen and James Spade were locked out of Drama Actor. No longer surprised about no love for The Mindy Project.

13. Teresa Fernatt says:

Why was the Walking Dead Not nominated?

14. zac says:

Ruth Wilson following Andy Samberg’s footsteps of winning the 1st year then dropping out of the noms the following year. I think Lady Gaga is a passable actress but not awards worthy. Sad to see Jane the Virgin not get nominated for a 2nd year. Maybe their buzz has passed but yay for Gina Rodriguez. Surprisinglu shut out was Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt as well as Sense8

15. Luk says:

poor Sam Heughan, he mustn’t be nice when your show, your lead actress and your supporting actor get the nom but not you!

Again, interesting mix of names and shows, I’m happy that at least Golbes aren’t afraid of putting forward some ‘minor’ series.

Of course there are some quirky things around there (Gaga, why? Froggatt, which is good but doesn’t really stand out from the pack of Downton cast; Robin Wright…).

16. wajoma says:

SO VERY VERY thrilled that Outlander, Tobias and Cait were all nominated …

SO VERY VERY bummed that Sam wasn’t … I was sure he was the most likely one of the three to be nominated!

• Cheryl says:

Totally agree! I think he got left out so they could nominate John Hamm one more time. So very tired of him getting all the praise when there are tons of other deserving actors.but extremely thrilled they recognized Tobias!

• 3 Nominations for OUTLANDER! Caitriona Balfe & Tobias Menzies Well Deserved! Dissappointed for Sam Heughan – But he will be back and Hopefully on the List Next Year! Kudos OUTLANDER on 3 Nominations on the 1st of many seasons to come!
        Everyone Go and Read the Outlander Series…You are Welcome ;)

17. Sophie says:

What no Sam Heughan for Best Actor :'( Catroina and Tobias and the show got nominated but no Sam!

18. ninergrl6 says:

Thrilled for Rachel Bloom and SO excited for all of the Outlander noms!!!! But the one I thought was MOST deserving, Sam Heughan, didn’t get one. Is the leading actor in a drama category really stacked this year? I don’t watch all the other shows but I can’t imagine anyone giving a more gripping performance than Sam.

19. Leslie says:

Wow. No Sam Heughan????

20. Lesley says:

Very disappointed that Sam heughan was not nominated for his role as Jamie Fraser in Outlander

21. JB says:

Did Jessica Jones not qualify? Because the performances by David Tennant and Krysten Ritter were off the hook incredible. I especially can’t imagine how Tennant could be overlooked for his role.

Also, Jamie from Outlander got overlooked? Seriously? He was incredible this past season, especially toward the end.

• CBK says:

If Masters of None qualified, Jessica Jones did. Tennant was in the supporting character with everyone from series, movies, and mini-series. That was a complete bloodbath.

22. Roberta says:

No Orphan Black, no Tatiana Maslany? I will not be watching.

• Wouter says:

I love Orphan Black and Tatiana Maslany, but people really need to get over it. She’s great in het roles just not awardworthy.

• Eric says:

HOLD UP. No, no, no, no. Tatiana IS award worthy. It’s simply that these award shows don’t typically give notice to sci-fi shows. They barely even recognize Fantasy shows. Game of Thrones is really the only Fantasy show that they recognize, with Outlander finally getting some recognition.

• Michelle says:

Clicked to see if Tatiana got nominated and wasn’t planning on complaining if she weren’t but your comment, wow – crazy to believe anyone could be watching Orphan Black and think Tatiana’s performance on OB is NOT award-worthy…

23. MJ says:

Bloodline was one of my favs this year and very underrated imo. Surprised it only got one nomination.

24. Paula McAllister says:

Just ridiculous that Sam Heughan was not nominated. What more could he have done to bring Jamie Fraser to life? A true actor.

25. beth says:

what the hell, HFP?? the SAG noms are WAY more on track with reality this year….

26. silasrp says:

Wasn’t Fargo winner nominee last year in the same category? Can the same mini-series run twice in different years?

• It’s a new season. I think they have a different cast, Which makes it a miniseries instead of a regular drama, and helps their likelihood of getting nominated. Same thing with AHS, even if most of the cast is the same and the story connects, the actors are playing different characters.

27. dkwilley says:

and again, Orphan Black is ignored……BS!!

28. Mak says:

Scream Queens deserved more than just 1 nomination…Emma Roberts, Niecy Nash,

29. Maggie says:

Not sure who picks these. With these nominees I know I won’t be watching this show.

30. Sadie says:

I’m so happy for Rami Malek, Christian Slater and Mr Robot. It just sucks that this is going to be Jon Hamm’s year.

31. Gwen Papania says:

And nothing for Outlander’s Sam Heughan?????????? Something is VERY wrong…..

• Liz says:

The nominations for Outlander, an incredibly hokey series, knocked out a far more deserving one. The only strong category and worthy of recognition is the one for TV-Movie or Miniseries-Actor. I’m pleased that Eva Green has been recognized for Penny Dreadful, but what about the brilliant Rory Kinnear from the same series?

No Clive Owens and/or any of the other strong cast members of The Knick. Nothing for The Americans, The Walking Dead. Two shows with a solid cast that knocks it out of the park every time. Very disappointing nominations list this year.

32. katedfw says:

Shame….Shame….Shame….No GoT for Best Drama??? Shame!!

33. Ames says:

No Jesse Plemmons for Fargo?? SIGH.

34. I think you omitted Kirsten Dunst from the Miniseries actress list.

35. Peegee says:

Glad to see the Fargo nominations

36. r0ckmypants says:

These are some nusto nominations. Shocked by the lack of representation for The Leftovers (especially by Moura’s nomination over Theroux) and The Last Man on Earth. I can’t believe Flesh & Bone got some nods; I’m halfway through and enjoying it, but it’s not exactly great television. Surely Show Me a Hero and Bessie would have been better choices in that category than Flesh & Bone and AHS: Hotel.

On the plus side, I’m thrilled for Rachel Bloom, Rob Lowe, Felicity Huffman (who should’ve gotten the SAG nod) and Patrick Stewart.

37. Donna Maria says:

Many good nominees,particularly American Horror Story, disappointed once again The Walking Dead was completely ignored

• Sarah9 says:

I know!! Lol TWD is great and at least Andrew Lincoln deserves an award for his efforts and performance…even Lady Gaga is hear and she’s passable at most.
      I wonder who chooses this options.

38. chaosrainz says:

I’m sorry….Caitriona got nominated for Outlander but not Sam Heughan?! She did nothing outstanding but he had that oh-so-hard-to-watch prison stint….at least Tobias got recognized for that but it’s a slap in the face to Sam if you ask me.

• Liz says:

I SO do not agree. Cat’s role as Claire is incredibly dense and complex. She does an amazing job. But I DO agree with you with the fact that Sam was snubbed. He is an wonderful, complex, amazing actor, and did a terrific job as Jamie.

39. Wow. I cannot believe that Sam Heughan from Outlander wasn’t included under Drama – Actor. What his character went through and how well Sam portrayed the emotional torture and trauma were astounding. Maybe next year.

40. Susan Dietz says:

What about William Petersen on Season 2 of ‘Manhattan’? Rules that show even in the small amount of screen time he has. Where are the actors from ‘Game of Thrones’? Congrats to Tobias Menzies for ‘Outlander’ who is just so evil.

41. Alrisha says:

They finally changed the names, at least this years we are going to have new winners.

42. Sabrina says:

I’m quite surprised about the noms for Caitriona Balfe and Outlander as best drama. The only nom that I would have expected them to get would have been for Tobias Menzies. The rest of the nominations are good and quite diverse compared to the SAG nominations yesterday.

• Kathleen Richardson says:

Sam Heughan as Jamie Fraser really carried the show. I think Caitriona is a talented actress but I think Sam is more gifted and had a much harder role this season. I agree with you that Tobias is deserving. I hope he wins! I do think Outlander deserves best drama but I am a bit obsessed I confess. If you read the Outlander books by Diana Gabaldon you would be hooked too. I am surprised that House of Cards wasn’t nominated for Drama Series of Kevin Spacey for Drama Actor Series.

43. Angel says:

Denis O’Hare was robbed! His Liz Taylor on AHS: Hotel is absolutely amazing. I cannot believe that he was snubbed.

44. rory says:

Erm… where the heck are the nominations for The Americans? The show is amazing, the cast is stellar and the story is so good!! :(

45. Barbara says:

Not going to watch – nothing I watch has been nominated as I don’t get Amazon, Netflix or HBO and even if I did none of these shows interest – what happened to the top rated shows???

46. Susan Dietz says:

And how could I forget that no one, in front of or behind the cameras, from ‘The Walking Dead’ was missed? That is one of the best acted and written shows on TV and, yet, it is constantly ignored by award shows. Apparently, no one seems to understand that the show isn’t about zombies it’s about people.

• Spence says:

Completely agree!! TWD is one of the best character dramas in years, but everyone (including a majority of viewers of the show) overlook it because it has zombies in it.

47. Achille says:

Very happy for Mozart in the Jungle, Outlander and so many other shows and people. I’d love to see Tom Cavanagh on this list again. His work on the Flash has been tremendous.

48. Eric7740 says:

Heck yes!!! Go Lady Gaga!!!

49. Joey Padron says:

Happy Mad Men, Mr.Robot, Better Call Saul, and Fargo got nominated! Nice surprise Casual and Rob Lowe for Grinder got nominated!

• Timmah says:

I’m happy that someone from The Grinder got nominated, but the show itself needs to be there too. The writing and the entire cast are killing it each week.

50. James M. says:

So damn happy about the best comedy nod for Casual.