The 2016 Golden Globe nominations were, as per usual, a mixed bag. For every inspired nod (congrats, Rachel Bloom!) there was one that had be scratching the skin off my scalp (no The Leftovers?!). So without further adieu, I give you the good, the bad and the downright ugly from this year’s list.
I’m Super-Ecstatic About:
* Penny Dreadful‘s Eva Green finally getting some love!
* All the Outlander love.
* Mr. Robot‘s Rami Malek and Christian Slater getting some love. Also, the show getting recognized.
* Nods for Empire and leading lady Taraji P. Henson. (Take that, SAG Awards!)
* All the love for FX’s Fargo and ABC’s American Crime.
* Hulu’s Casual scoring a best comedy nod!
* Because it bears repeating, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend‘s Rachel Bloom sneaking into the best actress race.
* Bloodline breakout Ben Mendelsohn snagging a supporting actor nod.
* Master of None‘s Aziz Ansari making the cut in the crowded lead actor/comedy field.
I’m Rolling My Eyes About:
* The Globes’ infuriating tradition of lumping every single genre in the supporting acting races. Enough. (Yes, I copied and pasted this directly from last year’s Snappy Js. And I will continue to do so until something changes.)
I’m Super-Pissed About:
* No love for Justified. Ditto Broad City. Ditto You’re the Worst. Ditto UnREAL. Ditto black-ish.
* The absence of The Americans‘ Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell in the drama actor and actress categories.
* The omission of Bates Motel‘s Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore.
* The Leftovers getting completely and inexplicably shut out.
* Jane the Virgin‘s hilarious Jaime Camil getting the shaft.
* Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt getting bupkis.
* No love for Inside Amy Schumer or its titular star (perhaps the HFPA thought her nod for Trainwreck was enough?)
* No Allison Janney for Mom?!
* Nada for Fox’s underrated Last Man on Earth and star Will Forte.
Okay, that’s my two cents’ worth. Now it’s your turn. Post your own snappy judgments below. And click here to view a list of all the major nominees.