Wayward Pines Season 2

Wayward Pines Renewed for Season 2

Fox will once again be spending the summer in Wayward Pines.

Nearly five months after its freshman run ended, the twisty drama has been renewed for a second season, the network announced Wednesday.

Wayward Pines was a huge hit for us this past summer. We were absolutely blown away by the mysterious and surprising world that [M.] Night [Shyamalan] and his team created, and the twisting-and-turning storytelling that drew viewers in from Day One,” said Fox President of Entertainment David Madden in a statement. “Season Two is going to take the suspense, the vision of the future and the haunting character drama to whole new levels, and we can’t wait for our fans to continue that ride next year.”

Set to premiere in Summer 2016, Wayward Pines‘ second season will pick up where its first go-round left off, when a new arrival in the titular town finds himself in the middle of a serious rebellion, as the residents battle over how to preserve the endangered human race.

Will you return to Wayward Pines next year? Hit the comments!

1. John Jacob says:

A show that was supposed to be a mini-series and wrap up…Under the Dome 2 here we come. Oh my Oh my!

2. Sheryl says:

Does that mean I should watch the last 3 episodes of season 1?

• herman1959 says:

Watch, it was great at the end.

• obriensg1 says:

Haha, I have last 4 left, but I did enjoy it.

Also, the program is based off a book series so everybody, don’t complain about material to keep it going.

• tyranthraxus says:

Yes a book series of 3 books which they covered in the entirety in the first season. Sorry, but this is just a decision but a tv network to try and bottle lightining again. It wont work. The story worked because it was a mystery story that unfolded. The mystery was resolved. Done.

• KCC says:

So there are no more interesting stories to tell in that future world that was created in the books/TV series? Everything is fine and everyone will get along. That wasn’t the impression I was left with. It all depends on how creative the writers are in moving the situation forward. It won’t/shouldn’t be the same as the first season but they could come up with something good.

• David4 says:

The Leftovers season one was based on a book and everyone was ‘ehh’ to it. Season 2 is supposedly amazing and isn’t based on anything.

3. Ed says:

Ugh. This was the most awful show. I so wish Fox would use the money they’re spending for a second season and do something else instead, especially since the S2 description is like a carbon copy of S1.

4. Diz says:

I never started season 1. It’s still sitting on the dvr.

5. Katy says:

That’s great news! It started as mini series, but at the end of the last episode it felt like it was intended for continuation, as I heard the book was too. I’m very curious to see more. Someone here compared it to under the dome, which is not a good comparison. WP has its weal points but is nowhere near as flawed and silly as under the dome was

• laurelnev says:

If you have a kindle,m check out some of the WP “Kindle World” books. Some are quite good actually. All explore other aspects of WP.

6. Amanda says:

Watched Season 1. Did not like the way it turned out. Have no desire to watch S2.

7. KC says:

Excellent!

8. Simon Jester says:

Did we learn nothing from UNDER THE DOME?!? Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoyed WAYWARD PINES… but it told the story it intended to tell, and finished the author’s original trilogy. This horse doesn’t need beating.

• sinamenone says:

Thank you, I agree!

• et al. says:

To be fair, The Leftovers was the exact same situation and the off-book season 2 turned out to be one of the greatest seasons of television ever created.

• Temperance says:

Sorry, but that show is pretty much unwatchable. Ugh. It’s fine that you like it, but that’s some serious hyperbole. Wayward Pines wasn’t Shakespeare, but it was great, entertaining summer fun and decent sci-fi.

• Peter says:

I completely agree. Especially given the finale, I hoped they would let Wayward Pines stand as an excellent miniseries. I don’t see any interesting way that a Season 2 could go.

9. Liz says:

I never saw Wayward Pines. Maybe I’ll check it out. I really want to know if Sleepy Hollow is coming back. Come on FOX.

• Curly Girly says:

I wouldn’t hold your breath on that one (Sleepy Hollow). Sorry, I like it too, but it’s likely not going to get renewed.

10. nickspace says:

Not sure why this show gets so much hate. After the zombie plot twist was revealed in the fourth/fifth episode I was hooked, but pretty much lost all hope for renewal months ago. So stoked to see it pick up from that S1 cliffhanger.

11. In order for it to work, it’s not enough that it pick up the plot points, it needs to introduce new twists of its own that don’t damage what came before. For instance, while revealing that there are smart Abbys with their own community might be a twist, the concept itself would get boring fast. I look forward to seeing what they come up with. I for one really enjoy post-apocalyptic fiction and this is one of the most original ones. I’d like to know more about the backstory of what happened to the world, stuff like that.

12. laurelnev says:

Let’s HOPE they forget about those gawd-awful last 10 minutes, and either set this BEFORE Ethan was woken up, or when Pam & Co defreeze themselves. I have since read not only the trilogy, but some of the WP “World” books. They have a lot of content from which to draw.

• herman1959 says:

Yes, they should set it before Ethan woke up so that we can see WHY things ended up the way they did. Sorry to be so vague, I just don’t want to spoil the ending for the people who haven’t seen season 1 yet.

• laurelnev says:

There is a really cool prequel that is Hassler’s story, and a spin off book Blake Crouch himself wrote the intro to, that would make an EXCELLENT S2. I DO hope they will work with Crouch, rather than destroying his world by going too much on their own. If they do, this SO has the potential to be another Dome! But like I said, there are tons of “Kindle World” books, basically glorified fanfic, but others sanctioned by the author. THOSE could be the basis for future seasons, be they sequels or prequels.

• Mike M says:

One day maybe they will admit how the last few minutes were shot 12+ months after the show was complete just so there was a cliff hanger that teased Season 2. After it got so popular Fox could not afford to let it go. It was renewed internally around episode 6. Go look at the ending again – none of the main characters are present because they were A) long gone to other projects and B) would not likely be back. And without them I can’t see it being nearly as good. In any case when it was first shot it absolutely did NOT end the way it did when it aired.

• laurelnev says:

Which is why we can forget about it. :) The whole 2nd gen thing was never in the book. And the collective opinion at the time seemed to be that the addendum was an unnecessary mistake!

13. I am shock to read that Fox decided to renewal Wayward Pines for the second season. I can’t wait to see the second season.

14. Ws says:

Didnt they use up all the material from the books in the first season?

• So did Leftovers. Just because something is based on something else it doesn’t mean it’s bound by its limitations.

• Ws says:

As long as they have some good ideas.. Under the Dome became a mess when they went off book.

• I know that the show used up all the material for the first season but that didn’t stop the producer and the writer from created new material. ex the James Bond film is still going to make film despite don’t longer have Ian Fleming material to help created new story for them. I can’t wait to see second season in summer 2016.

• laurelnev says:

In case you didn’t see my other reply, Blake Crouch sanctioned a whole “Kindle Worlds” thing with Amazon. A lot of it is glorified fanfic, but if you stick to the ones Crouch recommends, there are some decent reads. So there is a lot of material from which they can draw already.

15. dj says:

I am so excited. Really enjoyed season 1

16. I read that the show was to be a mini-series and will wrap up everything at the end of the series. It look like I am wrong. I can’t wait to see where the writer will go with the show. Good luck to the show.

17. Spence says:

Happy and curious about this news! Excited to see what happens.

18. Chelsey Reid says:

Yay so happy it was amazing!. I was so disappointed when i thought it was only going to be one season.

19. ChrisGa says:

Huh…this surprises me. Not because of the quality of the show or what not; except for that ending, it was one of the best shows of the summer. I just know the producer/showrunner seemed pretty adament in interviews that this was a done-in-one and he didn’t really even seem entertain the possibility of a second season. Either way, good news.

20. bob loblaw says:

will probably watch on account of nothing else being on tv at that time of the year, but as the “big reveal” has happened, i can see this show going the same path as twin peaks in having a horrible season 2 after such a great opening season.

shamalayan and crouch should have sat down and penned a new suspense/thriller that was mapped out over a few seasons instead of a show that closed the story then now trying to make a new story fit in. will probably end up being soap.

21. yes, I will be there in Wayward Pines. Really enjoyed last year…

22. Carlos Lee says:

I enjoyed the first season until the last 10 minutes of the last episode. I will pass.

23. Kim says:

Excited about second season..please,keep Matt dillon in the show

24. Yes I will be there. Haters gonna hate, it’s all they know how to do. Excellent cast, great performances. Excited to see what season 2 entails.

25. N says:

I loved it, but not the last 10 min.!

26. Clandestine Green says:

Unlike Under the Dome, Wayward Pines got better as it went on. I really enjoyed it and I hope it does as well as the first season. It will be interesting to see who comes back since it has been so long since Season one was filmed.

27. Maryann says:

I was absolutely disgusted with the cliched, horror movie ending of season 1. This time I will wait to see how the season plays out before I watch.

28. Phil says:

Can’t wait for season 2 thought season 1 was excellent i hope in season 2 they venture out of wayward pines to the deserted city’s.

29. Curly Girly says:

I wish they would have gone with the book ending. I think that would have made a more promising concept for season 2; the book ending was so open-ended.

30. Victoria says:

Yesssss!!! I’ve been waiting and I mad that the show was canceled….my husband will be excited😊👌

31. kirads09 says:

Yay! I have no idea where they’re going to go with it, but I am along for the crazy ride. Any casting news?

32. Joey Padron says:

Good news! I thought the show would be a mini series. Can’t wait to see what they’ll do in season 2.

33. JenJ says:

I liked the show, but hated the ending. Why would they do that to us again? I have no intentions of watching a new season.

34. Amber says:

Was Terrence Howard in that? Did his character die? I wondered since he was on Empire too.

35. SherryB says:

Bummed about Blood and Oil being axed..Hope they at least give it an ending, but its doubtful..Good show…..As for Wayward Pines, not a chance I ended it last summer..

36. Linda says:

I enjoyed Wayward Pines. Can’t wait for season 2 M.Night Shyamalan always comes up with something that keeps you on edge.

37. Maria says:

Yes great show loved it

38. Edgina says:

I absolutely can’t wait to see season 2 of wayward pines. I’m reading the books now because after watching season 1 I’m truly addicted. I’m extremely excited to hear there will be a season 2 and I will definitely be in front of my tv toon in and I have great faith that the next season will be worth the wait.

39. Susan Krigbaum says:

Can’t wait!!!

40. Jermetrice says:

Heck yes!!!!

41. doug surrett says:

Hell ya

42. Kay Stokes says:

Loved the show .Thanks for bringing it back.I just wished it didn’ take so long to start. Thanks

43. Kellie says:

I loved the show and can’t wait till the next season

44. I will absolutely Wil continue to watch this,series. My fiancee and I really enjoyed the series. But, was disappointed of Matt Dillions expiration.

45. Nicole says:

Yes this show was awesome!

46. Jeanne says:

I was hoping Wayward Pines would be renewed! Love this show. Can’t wait.

47. Nene watkins says:

I don’t know what people are talking about but wayward pines was the best show ever! I looked forward to it every week with all its twists and turns and the ending was an OMG moment.