SAG Nominations 2016

SAG Awards: Game of Thrones, Homeland, House of Cards Lead Noms; Empire, Inside Amy Schumer Shut Out; Mr. Robot's Rami Malek Sneaks In

Nominations for the 22nd annual Screen Actors Guild Awards, to be broadcast Saturday, Jan. 30 on TNT/TBS, were announced this morning, and Game of Thrones, Homeland and House of Cards led with three nods apiece.

Surprisingly, Fox’s breakout hit Empire was completely shut out (not even perceived shoo-in Taraji P. Henson scored a nomination). Inside Amy Schumer and its titular star were also snubbed.

First time nominees include Mr. Robot‘s Rami Malek (Drama Actor) and Key & Peele (Comedy Ensemble).

Check out this complete list of TV nominees below, then make like Internet commenters and share your raves and rants. (Next up, on Thursday morning: the Golden Globe noms!)

DRAMA ENSEMBLE

Homeland
Marvel’s Daredevil
The Walking Dead

1. Bigdede says:

Scandal also shut out

2. Gerald says:

Of course Empire is shut out. It is on Network Television. How could they find room for all the cable nominations if they started nominating network tv programs and actors….
    I joke, but there is some truth in that.
    Not too many programs I watch are nominated per usual.

• tvjunkie says:

That’s the problem, the number of original cable shows (and throw in internet like Netflix) has exploded over the last 10 years, but the number of nominations and awards has pretty much remained constant. Naturally that means far more worthy shows won’t get recognized than 10 years ago.

• But that’s what makes it mean something, like it should be.

If every popular show or every show remotely praised by critics got a nomination the awards would be irrelevant. They are now anyway, but at least with such a low percentage of actors and programs getting nominated it keeps things competitive.

• tvjunkie says:

So what you’re saying is in the past those awards didn’t mean squat because there wasn’t enough competition. So for example, the awards the Sopranos or Fraiser won don’t mean anything because there wasn’t enough competition. Do you see the giant flaw in your argument?

• Not at all.

Personally, the 90’s were my favorite era for sitcoms.Just because there was only 20-30 across broadcast and cable compared to 100+ now doesn’t mean the quality is higher now. Give me Seinfeld, Frasier, Fresh Prince, Just Shoot Me and Newsradio against Veep, Modern Family, Episodes, Transparent and Louie in a Survivor Series match and I know which side I am taking every time.

The awards should be about the five very best. You can argue there are better dramas (at least up until a few years ago when most of them ended) in the 10’s than the 90’s. I would be okay with that, but that doesn’t mean there should be 15 nominees.

The fact that so many “snubs” are listed in the comments only furthers my point that this award means something because it makes it that much special to the actors and programs that actually did get nominated.

• tvjunkie says:

kevin, You’re still missing the point. You seem to be saying that even though the number of shows has increased dramatically that most of them are junk and not worthy of awards. The point is that with the big increase in the number shows there has been an increase in the number of award caliber shows. Do you think the shows that won awards prior to the last 5-10 years would have won so often if they were in today’s cluttered landscape? For the most part they most certainly would not. So you seem to be advocating that it’s ok to use the same old formula for deciding what’s good despite a big increase in choices. There’s no way to do these awards today without leaving out a bunch of valid and possibly better choices. It’s like trying to put 20 pounds of feed in a 5 pound bag. It just doesn’t work.

• Mak says:

Popularity esp of Network shows doesn’t necessarily mean award winning. I cannot think of one network Drama deserving of a nomination except for maybe HTGAWM. Maybe they need to split these categories because at this point most network dramas trail miles behind cable & netflix shows. Shows like Jessica Jones, Unreal, GoT & other cable shows are basically in a league of their own compared to network shows.

• @TVJunkie: No, see that is where we have to agree to disagree. I am not saying a show isn’t any good if it doesn’t get a nomination. Plenty of good shows miss out. The Top 5 should be the absolute elite, and right now I think we have that. Just because a show misses the cut does not mean it can’t be very good.

• Jeannette says:

It’s like u read my mind!

• mario says:

Would it be fairer if they split the categories into one for cable and one for network tv?

3. bigredeo says:

It would be helpful if you added exactly what roles/shows people are nominated for!

4. Alexa says:

WUT? No Taraji? Amy Schumer? Oscar bleedin’ Isaac?
    These nominations are AWFUL.

• tvjunkie says:

There’s nothing awful about the nominations, there unfortunately arent enough slots for the shows that deserve nominations these days.

5. bigredeo says:

Oh, and Tatiana Maslany not being nominated for “Orphan Black” is a CRIME!!

• dkwilley says:

SO true……

• Simon Jester says:

I love Tatiana… but I don’t think the third season was particularly award-worthy.

• RealityEngineer says:

Yup. I still can’t grasp why Viola Davis has beaten her for awards, and now gets nominated while Maslany doesn’t. Davis seems too obviously to be trying too hard, to be “acting!”, i.e. overacting. I find it doubtful she’d be able to pull of the sort of subtlety needed to differentiate multiple clones (and clones playing each other) as Maslany does. They’d all be too similar I suspect. Perhaps too many people are emotionally tone deaf and need to be beaten over the head with things, and have difficulty paying close enough attention to the details of Maslany’s performance to grasp the greater skill required to demonstrate nuance.

Maslany intentionally conveys at times a clone “acting’ as another clone (with Maslany herself forgotten), and in the same way you can spot Davis “acting” as her character.

• mary says:

They are both very good, just completely different roles. Unfortunately Orphan Black fits into one those categories that does not get nominated very often.

• Mak says:

“I find it doubtful she’d be able to pull of the sort of subtlety needed to differentiate multiple clones (and clones playing each other) as Maslany does.”
        I don’t get why Tatiana fans always run to this miserable excuse…thank goodness the Awards do not care about this multiple characters reason. These are different roles that require diff techniques. Tatiana would not be able to carry the role of Annalise like Viola does in HTGAWM also…so what’s your point exactly. I watch both shows & I think every nomination & award Viola has earned are all well deserved. There are two more actresses that are missing on that list that I would still place above Tatiana, Eva Green & Vera Farmiga

6. Gerald says:

Arrow Stunt Team shut out is a travesty.

7. EJ says:

It’s Julianna, not Julianne, Michael. Correct it or the next time you meet her she’ll go all Punjabi on your ass.

8. Jennifer says:

Why was Arrow not nominated in the “stunt team” category? It would seem that that would be a given??? Also, as I see, no love for network shows.

Seriously, we need to SEPARATE cable and network. Not everyone wants (or can afford) Hulu, or Netflix or Amazon …

9. Alexa says:

Erm, where is Fargo nominations? The Leftovers? THE AMERICANS?
    And how is Key & Peele nominated for Best Comedy Ensemble but neither Key nor Peele are nominated for Comedy Actor? What a mess…

• A fan of TV says:

I think Fargo got noms for their first season but their current season is currently airing and missed the official cut off for noms this year (been more than 12 months since s1). The Americans definitely got snubbed though! The Leftovers I think is still riding the wave of its really polarizing and less good first season so if they get an s3 renewal we might see them get appropriate love at the GGs or Emmy’s…?

10. Livus48 says:

No Castle,No Stana Katic,No Nathan Fillion….you must be joking me 😳😳😳😳😳

11. Monica Lavallaia says:

I just don’t know HOW Empire was not nominated!!!! It is one of the most entertaining shows on regular tv, beating out cable!!!!!

12. msstargate says:

No Rupert Friend??? He has been awesome on Homeland!

• ajspree says:

i would love it if this happened, but unfortunately the writers don’t give him enough to make it into supporting

• niloofar says:

Last season he was in the front of story, this season the writers have pushed him to the background to make room for the terrible characters of Jonas, Laura & Otto. Carrie’s been in more scenes with Laura this season than Quinn. He’s been amazin nonetheless.

13. Sean T says:

And here I was thinking this was the one award that The Leftovers was a cinch to be nominated for. This show has the best cast imaginable!

14. dru mont says:

I love Maggie Smith as much as the next person but, c’mon SAG voters – you can do better than that!

15. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt? TITUS?? Come on SAG half of these noms are past their sell by date!

16. I would have liked to see nominations for Gotham’s Rob Lord Taylor and American Horror Story Hotel’s Dennis O’Hare.

17. Amelie Frank says:

Sigh. Lennie James. Melissa McBride. Honestly.

18. This list feels so outdated. Every single year it’s the same. I watch all of the nominated drama series, but I understand that there are new and better shows on television now. There is fresh talent that should be recognized. Downton Abbey is a cute show, still enjoy it immensely, but come on now….there has been nothing challenging or deep on that show for years. What is Maggie Smith doing that should be recognized? Homeland, House of Cards …both are great television series, but they aren’t at the top of their game anymore. What about The Americans? Or the cast of Outlander? The Leftovers? Fargo? The Affair?

I so look forward to these awards shows, but it honestly feels like the same thing for YEARS.

• Mary says:

I have to agree, the tv is just not interesting they don’t pull the shows that are doing innovative material even older shows that are pushing boundaries they ignore for the safe past times of who they know or something.

I mean there are a lot of great shows and actors missing from new and established shows but we are keeping The Big Bang and Good Wife? Which aren’t bad shows but they aren’t pushing the envelope, they aren’t trying new things it’s just the same.

• jj says:

The SAG awards are purely about the acting not about how innovative the show or story ideas are.

• Mary says:

I know but the acting on the nominated shows aren’t setting the world on fire. I enjoy Big Bang it is fun mindless entertainment that is great background noise and I know I don’t have to pay attention to catch a joke or follow the story. That being said the acting isn’t moving me, it isn’t grabbing me and making me laugh hysterically or cry sometimes. They haven’t given me performances that have connected me to their characters in a way that I’m invested. It’s just mindless noise. It’s not bad but it’s not award worthy.

• BrightLight says:

It’s also about name recognition too. That’s the only way to explain any nomination Nicole Kidman got/gets for “Grace of Monaco”.

• Yes, I know, and I think the material provided often can affect a performance. Also, I think there were stronger performances this year besides Maggie Smith, Julianna Margulies, and Claire Danes. Again, I watch and love all three of those shows…but I think there have been stronger performances this year.

• Mary says:

I know that, but that is my point. The Big Bang is a good show and they don’t do a bad job but the performances aren’t award worthy. They aren’t pushing the envelope they aren’t grabbing me they aren’t making it so I even have to pay attention to catch a joke, much less give me performances that I’m invested in the characters and their stories. It is not a bad show but it’s not grabbing me with its acting. I’m not wondering what’s going to happen after the hiatus. I don’t care if one Sheldon is hurt.

• Mary says:

Please ignore double post. I thought my first response didn’t post so I tried again and got two posts.

Sorry.

• Exactly. I LOVE The Good Wife, but I would love to see new talent recognized. I think S5 deserved to be recognized because it pushed boundaries and was truly excellent television. Outstanding even. S6 was very good, too, but also had a few “dud” episodes I think. There is simply better TV out there now.

Keri Russell, Ruth Wilson, and Caitrona Balfe stand out to me after this past year.

• Tim says:

Yes, so outdated!!!!!

19. John036 says:

I’m surprised the lack of love Gina Rodriguez has been getting for Jane the Virgin, especially after winning the Golden Globe last year. First the Emmys, now the SAGs. I’m happy Ellie Kemper and Amy Poehler got noms, though. Amy was great in the last season of Parks and Rec

20. bshaid says:

The list reflects the Good Ole Boy club as usual. EMPIRE will rack up at the BET awards.

• tvjunkie says:

Of course, those awards, as the channels name suggests, are for a single demographic. Thus those awards have a much smaller pool of shows to pull from.

21. Ron says:

Thank you for not nominating How to get away with murder.

• Ken says:

But Viola Davis did get a nom so it technically did get a nomination by proxy. Don’t understand your hate for HTGAWM because its freaking awesome and entertaining.

22. Cerise Elliott says:

Where’s Mayim!?!?!

23. Kelly says:

It’s just the same people every year when it comes to the drama and comedy nominations. Sad.

24. Shayna says:

THE LEFTOVERS & THE AFFAIR NOT NOMINATED. COME ON NOW.

25. atxnole says:

There’s certainly some notable absences, but I don’t think they were replaced with nominees that weren’t worthy as well for the most part.

26. walking dead up for one nomination are you kidding me? The best show that has ever been on tv in my lifetime. I don’t get it. And empire shut out it’s one of my fav. shows too. I don’t get it

27. Christina says:

Same ol’ shows being nominated. Yet, Empire is the highest rated show on television and gets shut out. Guess it’s too interesting and groundbreaking to earn a nomination.

• Jenn says:

So NOT the highest rated show. I’d love to see where you got those stats.

• John036 says:

High ratings don’t equal quality, Christina. Season 2 is is not as good as Season 1. I stopped watching after episode 3.

• Timmah says:

I’m not sure how a nighttime soap qualifies as interesting or groundbreaking. And if they went by ratings then garbage shows like Scorpion would be racking up nominations.

• mary says:

If it were high ratings, then NCIS would have nominated many times over. Now I love both shows, plus. But neither has acting that tops some other shows.

28. kmw says:

Same old same old. This is why I don’t watch awards shows anymore. The same people and shows year after year. Not at all surprised about Empire’s snub but happy that Amy Poehler got one.

29. Spence says:

The only good thing about this is Amy being nominated for Parks and Rec. I’ll never understand how OITNB is labeled as a comedy, or how Walking Dead doesn’t get nominated for more things. And really? Maggie Smith for Downton? I love that show but it’s awards-streak is over.

30. iamkessuki23tw says:

Nicole kidmans grace of monaco was not a tv movie nor a mini series. Pretty sure it bombed as a theatrical film and now theyve packaged it as a tv movie. Lol

• A fan of TV says:

I think it premiered at Cannes and bombed so no movie houses bought the rights, and instead it was bought by TV so it was, in the end, a TV film. Just wasn’t made with that intention like the others in the category.

31. Doug says:

How James Spader doesn’t get a nod for ‘Red’ is beyond me.

32. Ames says:

Can someone explain if this current season of Fargo is not eligible for this or will it be for next year? I’m super confused how NO ONE was nominated for it.

• johnhelvete says:

I would not worry about Fargo until tomorrow and if it does not get nominations at the Golden Globes. According to well known site that predicts award shows, SAG has Fargo listed in the drama category.

33. Et al. says:

No ‘The Leftovers” = not a legitimate award.

34. Chris says:

This is gonna be a big year for rami malek he is amazing in mr.robot

35. Debbie M says:

The only person I am absolutely certain should win in best actor in a drama, Maggie Smith in Downton Abbey. What a consistently incredible actor she is!

36. Elizabeth says:

Tatiana Maslany..

How could they leave out the woman who’s played multiple characters each season?!

37. Roberta says:

Where is the Leftovers? Better than any other show on this list!!

38. Liz says:

WHERE IS OUTLANDER??

39. Justin Theroux for leftovers ?like the show or not but he is terrific !

40. Margo says:

This list is a snoozefest and the same ol’ same ol’….I have to agree with a couple of comments so far. TV has BLOWN UP in the past few years with several great shows and great talent (that SHOULD be recognizes), yet the nominations are reflecting shows that were in their prime like 4-5 years or more ago. If you were an actress, actor, or showrunner doing it for the awards…you would surely go into depression lol

And can someone help me understand…No Gina Rodriguez? No Tatiana Maslany? No Taraji? I’ve always wondered why Emmy Rossum has never been recognized for her work Shameless.

• NDFan says:

I’m glad you mentioned Emmy Rossum. Don’t get me wrong, I like William H Macy but Frank has been one of the least interesting characters on the show for me for a few seasons now. I’d much rather see Emmy, Jeremy or Noel get a nomination. They’ve been the strongest actors on the show in my opinion. But I guess name recognition has something to do with it.

41. CC says:

The same old boring nominees! The only exciting one is Elle Kemper

42. Eric says:

I only have one word for these nominations: BORING. It’s the same exact people and same exact TV shows year after year. How many times can Maggie Smith get nominated for spitting funny one-liners? How many times can Claire Danes get nominated for playing on the most overrated show on television? How many times is Downton Abbey going to get nominated just because it’s Downton Abbey? How many times is Modern Family going to get nominated after losing quality every single season? These award shows are becoming a joke. Where is The Americans? Fargo? Outlander? The Leftovers? The Affair? Jane the Virgin? Gina Rodriguez? Taraji P. Henson? Caitrona Balfe? Tatiana Maslany? Matthew Rhys? Justin Theorux? The list goes on and on. There are SO many amazing TV shows and actors/actresses, but it’s the same freaking list year after year with a few surprise nominations thrown in. It feels so outdated and lame. I find it to be a joke that the SAG Awards and Emmy Awards claim to be the best of the best, but really, the ONLY award show that gets it halfway right is the Critics’ Choice. So boring, so lame, so outdated.

43. Sadie says:

I’m so happy that Rami Malek has been recognised for his role in Mr Robot. He’s awesome in it.

44. ajspree says:

alright homeland! claire danes is so deserving this year.

45. A fan of TV says:

Really excited about Rami Malek’s nomination but this list is sorta ‘been-done’ for me, though none of the nominated actors are undeserving of their nom… I just enjoy seeing new faces, underdogs, etc and there’s too few among this list for my awards-show taste (though the film side of noms were a little more ‘fresh’ this year which was cool). It’s nice to see Ellie Kemper not snubbed but I have a feeling neither Kemper nor Malek are going to win, anyway.

46. Jooshua says:

I’m honestly surprised by the lack of Vincent D’Onofrio this awards season. He was amazing as Wilson Fisk in Daredevil.

47. Walkie says:

That’s the most obvious list of nominees I’ve seen. It’s like they just went with the popular choice in almost every case. Lazy.

48. KT says:

Argh. There are so many better comedies than Modern Family. Where is the love for Brooklyn 99 or Parks and Rec?

49. Cher says:

Unbelievable a wrong that the woman who’s performances broke records on TV did not receive a nomination! Taraji P. Henson more than earned it!

50. Theresa says: