The Voice Top 9 Recap: When One Door Closes, Another One Distracts From a Gorgeous Performance

Weird silhouetted people popping out of one singer’s backdrop like unwelcome whack-a-moles. Judges spending more time discussing another contestant’s pre-performance “confidence issues” than her actual vocal. A third artist being forced to perform in the midst of a baffling outdoor café set — complete with hedges and a monstrous video of a fountain — then being damned with faint praise for delivering “the most different thing I’ve heard on the show.”

Welcome to The Voice Season 9 semifinals — and the seeds of my runaway conspiracy theories blooming like the “Gurl, whaa?” braids and topknot springing forth from Gwen Stefani’s adverb-averse noggin.

It wasn’t just sabotage unfolding before us — but also Lady Justice’s scales being stacked with slabs of steel in favor of certain contestants and coaches.

Shock of shocks, Adam Levine’s team snagged the last two performance slots — long proven to be the ideal positions for garnering reality-show votes — with He Who’s Gotten the Pre-Ordained Winner’s Edit all season long landing the pimp slot yet again… only this time with a full gospel choir and a light show that I suspect cost more than what they’re paying poor Christina Grimmie to do those advertorials for Kohl’s.

At this point, the question is really about whether NBC bothers to let four vocalists duke it out on next Monday’s performance finale — if you haven’t heard, five artists are getting axed on Tuesday’s Top 9 Results Show — or just air a two-hour Jordan Smith concert special.

Sigh. Sorry for the vitriol, readers. I can’t try to pretend Jordan wasn’t absolutely stellar this week — even as someone who’s found some of his prior efforts a little overrated/overbaked/underwhelming. But the tidal wave of favoritism he’s been riding has essentially wiped out the joy of Season 9 – and left the remainder of the contestants treading water, waiting for the Bastard Executioner (AKA Carson Daly) to scream, “Off with their heads!”

While you ponder whether I’m onto something or merely miffed that only two out of four coaches were allowed to give feedback to Jeffery Austin, let’s cut to my letter grades and reviews for this week’s performances:

The Voice - Season 9Team Blake: Barrett Baber, “Ghost” — Grade: C- | The sparse, echo-y guitar arrangement of Ella Henderson’s pop jam exposed Barrett’s wobbly, occasionally inaudible lower register and lack of breath control — both on the verse and in the chorus. Like a salmon swimming upstream just as a family of brown bears wades into the water, this was a particularly inopportune time for Barrett to make the wrong move — and I suspect he’ll be the first Team Blake casualty of Season 9.

The Voice - Season 9Team Adam: Shelby Brown, “Even God Must Get the Blues” — Grade: B | Given yet another questionable pre-performance edit and withering feedback from the coaches — “You did very well” is about the most unenthusiastic critique Pharrell has ever given, no? — Shelby needed to be great, not merely good this week. Unfortunately, the lack of real crescendo in her song choice — combined with some dubious enunciation and a few flat notes in the verse — once again prevented her from delivering the kind of performance at which her Blind Audition rendition of “Stars” hinted several months back.

The Voice - Season 9Team Gwen: Jeffery Austin, “Believe” — Grade: A- | You want to talk about the glowing doors opening and closing behind Jeffery and the random men and women standing there contemplating the existence of life after love? You go ahead and do it in the comments. I’ll just say that while Jeffery hit three or four iffy notes while deconstructing Cher’s dance classic into a contemplative piano ballad, he did it with grit and gorgeous tone and (as per usual) an innate ability to call attention to the lyrics. I’d have liked to see a little more over-the-top enthusiasm from his own coach, but I think Blake genuinely meant it when he said the under-the-radar redhead deserves to make next week’s finale.

The Voice - Season 9Team Gwen: Braiden Sunshine, “Amazing Grace” — Grade: C+ | I’ll start by saying something nice: Braiden definitely hit a higher percentage of his notes this week than at any point in the competition. But his approach to this classic hymn was neither meditative nor soaring. It was just… there. (Maybe because the high-schooler seemed to be approaching the lyric from the jumping-off point that he was “saved” by last week’s Twitter vote.) Oh, and it kinda felt like it went on for 17 minutes. Pharrell’s remark that Braiden is giving hope to children aged 10, 11, 12 was one of the more bizarre avoidances of actual critique in Voice history — but given the typically huge sales for religious tracks by Voice artists, this one might’ve been bulletproof anyhow.

The Voice - Season 9Team Blake: Zach Seabaugh, “The Climb” — Grade: B- | Zach admitted during last week’s results show that he was overdue to prove his vocal chops to America, and with a solid-albeit-unspectacular cover of Miley Cyrus’ pop-country ballad, he kinda sorta accomplished his mission. I mean, by standing still and (every once in a while) strumming the guitar around his neck, the Georgia teen kept a consistent grip on pitch — and the little grin on “these are the moments I’m gonna remember most” was a nice touch, too. Ultimately, though, the uppermost peaks of the melody exposed the tonal thinness of the “teen heartthrob” (Carson’s code word for “isn’t he good-looking?”). If you need an army of backup vocalists to scale Mt. Miley, should you really be covering the Arist Formerly Known as Hannah Montana in the first place?

The Voice - Season 9Team Pharrell: Madi Davis, “Big Girls Don’t Cry” — Grade: A- | Can I get a slow clap for Madi? While most contestants approach the semifinals with a laser-focused emphasis on big vocals and emotional moments, she went with a feather-light Frankie Valli jam, turned it into a small-stage accordion jam and fluttered around the melody like a zany hummingbird allowing the windstream to carry her wherever it saw fit — deliberate swoops and pauses and all. Oh boy — I may have overwritten that sentence in an effort to avoid discussing the awesomely awful café-from-hell backdrop (complete with vacant patrons!) Pharrell didn’t stop from happening. But while Madi lost a bit of focus when she set down her guitar and got up from her little sidewalk table, there was nevertheless something almost subversive in her failure to pander for votes, in her commitment to doing her own thing — even if it prevents her from a slot in the finale. And isn’t that what being an artist is all about anyhow?

The Voice - Season 9Team Blake: Emily Ann Roberts, “9 to 5” — Grade: B+ | I’m pretty convinced Emily Ann is a mortal lock for the finale — and I’m almost convinced she should be. The teenager’s homemade-honey sweet upper register and not-entirely-polished charm are hard to resist — but it’s her ability to lock onto a melody and stay in near-perfect pitch that’s probably her biggest weapon. My only complaint tonight was that Emily Ann’s reading of “9 to 5” was so faithful to Dolly Parton’s original, that it left me wondering, “Why not just listen to the original?” (Side note: Was Emily Ann’s repeat of the “tumble out of bed and stumble to the kitchen” verse a mistake — or did she just need to run down the clock and decide to repeat the five or six lines even the most fleeting country fan can deliver at karaoke?)

The Voice - Season 9Team Adam: Amy Vachal, “To Make You Feel My Love” — Grade: B- | I appreciated the depth of emotion Amy brought to her stripped-down Dylan cover — there were a few moments when the jazzy chanteuse actually sounded choked-up — but unfortunately, those moments also tended to throw Amy off pitch. And that’s a tough thing to forgive in a singer who tends to reduce even her most complicated covers to a fairly limited range. Granted, Amy’s gauzy tone and undeniable beauty might make her the biggest potential star to emerge from Season 9, but from my couch, I’ve never seen enough vocal mastery or edgy attitude to carry her past her more technically impressive rivals. The second-to-last performance slot — and her choice of an achingly romantic number — might carry her to the finals anyhow, though.

The Voice - Season 9Team Adam: Jordan Smith, “Somebody to Love” — Grade: A+ | Take away the seizure-inducing lighting. Take away the full choir that backed him from Note One. Take away obnoxious Adam Levine’s mugging and whooping and literal mic-dropping. Strip all of the accouterments away, and what are you left with? This week, in Jordan’s case, a stunning and peacock-ian vocal — grandiose but utterly self-assured, dialed in to the desperation of the lyric, and yet also self-aware enough to betray the occasional “whoa, I am totally slaying this!” grin. My underdog-loving heart may never totally embrace him — and my heart-over-head inclinations may never prompt me to download him — but this week, I have to tip my hat to Jordan and recognize his shutting-s**t-down fabulosity. He sung what he brung, and even if Mark Burnett & Co. had it wrapped up in a bow beforehand, he stole the semifinals anyhow.

Predictions time!

Will Be Bottom 3 (and Immediately Eliminated): Barrett, Shelby, Madi
Will Be Top 3 (and Immediately Advance): Jordan, Braiden (ugh… people are Tweeting he’s already Top 10 on iTunes before the show is over), Emily Ann
Will Be Fighting for the Twitter Save: Jeffery, Amy, Zach

What did you think of the Top 9? Who were your faves? Who’s in trouble? Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments!

1. TV says:

Jeffrey didn’t deserve an A-. He gets props for shaking things up from his usual type of song, but he lost the rhythm about hallway through, and missed quite a few notes. Now, it is true many of the other songs weren’t very good, but . . . When Michael likes someone, that’s it for the season.

• JoanieBlu says:

I listened to Jeffrey’s performance twice and the second time I did hear some flaws, but still … he is a beautiful singer and the range, angst, power of his voice is superior to almost all the other contestants, even Jordan. Jordan had a great evening. He was excellent and I’m fine with him winning the season. And yet I find that he does not bring me to tears. Slezak’s column tonight was spot on. I share his bitterness. That door thing — SO DUMB. Madi and Jeffrey will probably be going home and that is just a sad shame. (I expect a replay of the Kimberly Nichole travesty.)

• JM1 says:

I’m with you, Joanie. Jeffrey is fantastic; with him it’s not about being note-perfect it’s about the feeling he brings every single time. He really pulls me in when he sings.

Also agree that Jordan is an amazing singer, but I admire more than love him, like I do Jeffrey. Was happy to see him having a ball up there tonight and enjoying himself. But he sang it to show off how well he could sing, whereas Jeffrey sang what meant something to him. Apples and oranges.

And I still love James Wolpert and like his version better. :-p

• JM1 says:

But . . . those open/closed doors and weird shadow people ruined Jeff’s song.

• JM says:

I wouldn’t say they ruined it, as I still enjoyed Jeffery’s powerful singing, but they certainly were distracting!!!

• Tyler says:

Jeffery did about as well as he could on that song. I don’t think that’s the type of song you can strip down. It has no melody! There’s a reason Cher overproduced that song. I think I would like Jeffery a lot more if he chose better songs. I just haven’t cared for any of the songs he sang so far. But he is a very talented singer.

• Carfield says:

Thank you for mentioning James Wolpert’s version, which I still have it on my iTunes library. Apart from recycling songs from our own team in previous season, Adam has given Jordan two songs that both his contestants have sung in previous season. There are plenty of amazing songs. While Jordan is technically spotless, I feel that I am missing that honesty that Jeffery always shows. However it is just clear that Jordan is already declared the winner of season 9.

• Tyler says:

Tell me about it. This is the second time he got the pimp slot in the lives–and this was only week 4 of the lives! I don’t think he ever sang in the bottom half of the draw in the lives.

• bill says:

Jeffery great, soulful. But Jordan tonight – undeniably insanely Broadway-show-stopping good.

• CBJ says:

Barrett had the pimp stop twice as well. But I guess the producers gave up on him, hence the first spot last night.

• Deb says:

I also have and love James Wolpert’s version…Jordan was good but James is still my favorite! I agree there are so many possible songs to choose from and every season I complain no one ever sings Pearl Jam or Chris Isaak! Last season I actually downloaded the Voice app so I could make song suggestions for every contestant, never heard a one. Why oh why?

• It was nice to see Jordan loosening up, wasn’t it? I still don’t think I’d buy his CD, but I admire his undeniable talent very much.

• Jo says:

Compared to Jordan’s horrid scream, his overwrought performance, his hideous low notes in the beginning, it sounded GREAT to me.

• scott says:

Yeah, when I first started reading these reviews I thought he was an impartial critic. No way does Jeffrey get an A- for that mess. Madi and Amy really brought it though.

• angie'sgreat says:

Sensible thought, scott, but MS is a terrible critic. Unfortunate that he has such a large forum, imho.

• apex says:

Actually, MS is a great critic — funny, passionate, insightful. I don’t always agree with his ratings (that B+ last week for Madi, his crush on AI’s Kris Allen), but usually he says what needs to be said about what makes these shows work and flop. There are so many crap critics out there, I’m glad that there is a forum for someone who doesn’t have to play nice with corporate sponsors. And he’s an excellent writer–smart and never disrespectful. Pretty amazing all around.

• I completely disagree.

Unfunny, unqualified, uninteresting, pretty much any word with “un” in front of it describes Slezak.

• JM1 says:

Who says Slezak has to be an impartial critic? He is basically a dork like all of us here, with his own preferences. He just has a larger forum for expressing them. I personally find him funny. :-)

• Marcie says:

Which begs the question, why are you here if you so un-like him?

• Tyler says:

The interesting thing about Slezak is that he cries Voice plays favoritism when he does the same exact thing himself! He admitted that although Jeffery sang emotionally, he also sang bum notes. Well, isn’t that the same thing he said about Amy?! Yet he gave his “favorite” Jeffery an A- and Amy a B-. And for the record, I have never seen Slezak 100% behind any Asian contestant. He was never behind Amy, Tessanne Chin, Jessica Sanchez–and the list goes on.

• Sheila says:

I don’t watch this show much at all but I always read Michael’s reviews. He is a fabulous, creative writer. I would follow him anywhere.

• Jo March says:

Why are you reading him if you think he’s a terrible critic? Seems a waste of time for you. I don’t always agree with him, but that doesn’t make him terrible, or me right

• TTorvo says:

MS is not a good music critic but he is a very clever and creative writer. He picks the contestants he likes and for him they can hardly do any wrong, but he has a hard time seeing when the other contestants do good things with their songs. Sort of like some teachers and coaches who have their favorites.

• Kbella says:

I agree. Jeffery lost me with that performance. He picks really boring songs or he makes songs like “Believe” (which is really a dance tune) boring. He has a great voice but doesn’t excite me at all.

• Jo March says:

“Impartial critic” is an oxymoron. Criticism is by nature subjective and therefore, not impartial. It is someone’s opinion; how can an opinion be impartial? Did you mean you thought he was in “impartial recapper” which would make more sense as terminology. However, if you read MS often, he’s often not impartial and doesn’t pretend to be

• Jo March says:

Jeffery was the best of the night in my opinion. Jordan did great, too.

• Jo says:

LOL @ lost the rhythm, it was completely rearranged, moron

2. Christian says:

Bottom 3:
    Zach
    Barrett
    Shelby

3. A+ for Jordan? Nope, can’t go down that road. Was self-indulgent to the max

• Christian says:

I agree. I cringed when Adam told Jordan to just scream to the max. I can’t say that Jordan didn’t slay it, but I much preferred Jeffery tonight.

• Mike says:

So why is Jordan going out and having fun with a song he knows he could sing in his sleep self indulgent? I have a feeling the over the top push NBC has been giving him is backfiring. Now everyone seems to hate him. Doesn’t seem fair. He was amazing.

I don’t get the Jeff love tonight. Normally I like him. That was a B at best. And giving Emily Ann anything less than an A- is a joke. She was the best of the night up until that point.

• coco says:

No worries he’s already #1 on Itunes after the most ardent standing ovation ever!
        I honestly think if he didn’t sing last, people would get fewer votes and downloads because they couldn’t top the Maestro.

• Jon says:

100% agree. I don’t get all the backlash (and Michael’s unceasing vitriol) for Jordan here. Even if the show *was* pimping him, it’s largely because he has been #1 on the charts more than anyone else — and frankly he’s been nothing but humble and low-key all season. And c’mon, his performance tonight was incredible, and Jeffery’s was just okay (and I really like Jeffery).

TL:DR: “Somebody to Love” is a beast to sing, and Jordan SLAYED it. Give the man his due…

• Joe says:

Sick to death of all the religious pandering by the contestants—-Jordan, especially.

• Dmac says:

Agreed!

• Diane C. says:

If you are sick, then you may refrain from voting.Joe.

• Mike says:

and what does that have to do with this conversation. He sang a Queen song. Maybe you should be complaining about Braiden’s desperate attempt.
            As for the religious aspect, if you’re offended you’re more than welcome to change the channel. Some of us actually don’t mind it.

• Jenks says:

What show are you watching? Jordan is not the only contestant who has sung religious songs. (Amazing Grace, anyone?) I am starting to agree about the pandering part, but to single out Jordan is just not fair. Or even correct.

• Paige says:

I actually know Jordan- went to college with him. The humility on the show is exactly what he shows in person. He deserves to win due to more than just his voice.

• Valerie says:

Emily Ann’s performance was good, but it deserves a B- at best. Amy and Madi’s performance were much better than Emily Ann’s. The second half of Jeffrey’s song was completely off key. Barrett’s lacked life, Zach finally brought it back, but Jordan killed it like no one ever has on the show–ever!

• Jon says:

Even though her genre isn’t for me, I think Emily Ann is really talented and cute (and will have a career after this show). I just don’t know why Blake gave her a campy 80’s song like “9 to 5” when he has a possible teen phenom on his hands. She’s better than that — give her some younger country pop songs, Blake!

• Mike says:

Blake claims he does that to give them real “Country credentials”. He did it non stop with Danielle Bradbery. Normally I’d agree with you, but this song was very wordy(high difficulty) and I thought it was excellent(and I really can’t stand Dolly).

• I thought Madi’s was the strangest singing I have ever heard. Jordan was great! His best of the season.

• Alan Dvorkis says:

Except Emily Ann did not understand the lyric. As a singer you can not take a song that is not meant to be cheerful and sing it like a Christmas Carol. Thought B+ was awfully generous.

• Candace says:

I think she did really, really well on execution of the song. The song itself is basically a statement on the working class environment. It is what it is and you might as well be cheerful about your commentary.

• skrable2 says:

Of course it was self-indulgent. “Somebody to Love” is supposed to be self-indulgent for the vocalist. What would you have preferred … that they pull an Amy and turn it into a coffeehouse head-nodder?

• OhMy says:

Freddie Mercury was self-indulgentas a singer, in some ways, but i don’t think even he would have sang that over the top. So yes, I would have preferred Jordan to tone it down just a bit. But, I mostly blame Adam,

• coco says:

/same for Jefferey….um…zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Candace says:

I would prefer to hear more of the song and less of the voice warbling. To me it’s those extra ‘show-off’ notes that make it over the top. And Jordan does it every time.

• JM says:

Okay, I’m not Jordan’s biggest fan, but that was a great performance–best of the night.

• Ginger Snap says:

“Was self-indulgent to the max”
      Yup, it certainly was, but that was the point – to blow the roof off the joint – and it was FUN! I sat bored through a bunch of drivel and was dancing to that performance.
      Lighten up – that was joyful!

• Adam Hedman says:

Jordan, Self-indulgent??? You obviously haven’t watched the show. Anyway, If you have that type of Voice, you use it. And Adam told him to jazz it up… Listen to the show again when they were in the rehearsals.

My predictions: Jordan, Emily Ann, Jeffery and Zach.

4. Leah says:

Did Mady forget the words to that song or are there seriously only 4 words to that song??

• Eurydice says:

There really are only 4 words. It seemed like more when Frankie Valli sang it because he put three syllables in cry – “cry-aye-aye”

• Stephanie says:

Mady chose the wrong song and Pharrell didn’t offer any guidance. I love Mady, but that performance is not going to get her into the finale. It felt like she was on the Muppets–someone who is invited on the show to sing a cute little song bca somewhere else, they’ve scored a huge hit. We needed her to sing the huge hit tonight.

• Eurydice says:

I love Madi, but it doesn’t seem like she wants to be a “huge hit” kind of artist, at least not at this point in her life. And Pharrell is all about letting the artists be who they are.

• Stephanie says:

Good point about Madi (sorry for earlier misspelling) — and yes, her taking risks is partly why she is so cool (and so beyond her years). But this is a critical point in the competition and I think she probably would like to move to the next stage and that to get there, she needed to show off her amazing/sassy/authentically unique voice in a more powerful way. Pharrell has felt absent all season. I actually wonder if he is ill. I love that he supports his artists, but this week, I think Madi needed guidance about the realities of the competition.

• JM says:

I agree that Pharrell has been noticeably ‘absent’ this season. Good point that he might be ill. I thought he was just bored after having won last season.

• analythinker says:

I love Pharrell, but the only thing he’s offered so far is wisdom, I think. When he doesn’t give his artists dated songs with big arrangements, he lets the artists choose what they want without questioning or guiding. I might be wrong big time, though.

• Morisot says:

And all I could think was why didn’t Pharrell save his singer from that awful, distracting setting! …and outfit.

• Alan Dvorkis says:

Guess I am the only one, who clearly thought Madi was the best of the night, by far.

5. Polarvortex says:

Can someone please tell me why Jordan has gotten the last spot on the show again!!!And it looks like my bud Jeffrey might be going home but it was fun while it lasted!

• PSCali says:

Adam usually gets the pimp spots. What dirt does he have on the shows producers? Also, typically, the oldest person got the “death” spot – as illustrated by Barrett going first.

• Adam Hedman says:

Simple… You always save the best for last. Jeffery souls get top 3 if you account for the entire season of work, but he put me to sleep with his “Amy Vachal” rendition of a Cher song. And what’s up with the people in the doors? We’re the lost?

• Jon says:

Let’s be real — if you’re the producer of The Voice, and you heard all the rehearsals this week, are you REALLY gonna bury Jordan in the middle? No matter who closed the show, they would seem anti-climactic after THAT performance.

Not to mention, Jordan’s flow of #1 singles probably bring in more iTunes cash than anyone else on the show this year. It’s not just “pimping,” IMO, it’s good marketing.

6. lori says:

I’m about finished with this show. It’s got really nothing to do with the voice. It’s got to do with who the coaches are, who sings a hymn this week and who the producers want to win. I say only one vote per person, no bump from iTunes and I know this would never fly, but don’t show us what they look like til the finale…then it will be about the voice. That’s my rant.

Anyway, I’m rooting for Amy and Madi. I also like Jeffery. Jordan is talented, but so over the top with everything! Braiden needs to go! Don’t like Barrett. The rest are mediocre.

• Bill Kochuk says:

Amy and Madi are my two favorites too!

• davmon says:

You are forcing me to admit it. They are probably mine as well. I have enjoyed how they do quirky arrangements and different songs, especially Madi. And now, both have done a Dylan song, which scores big with me. Jeffery and Jordan have also been real good all along. But Emily Ann may sneak in with that zippy performance tonight.

• I agree that Madi, Amy, Emily Ann, Jeffery and Jordan are the overall top 5. And it’s probably not a coincidence that each of them has a distinctive style and sound, while the other 4 have been more varied (unfocused) in what they’ve taken on.

• lori says:

…and one more thing, make them draw straws for their performance slot…end rant.

• scott says:

What you said. Seemed a little religious leaning for many of thes singers.

• Mike says:

I’m confused on why that’s a problem. This is the only season where it’s been more than one song. And if we have an over abundance of people of faith in the top 10 this year that’s a problem? Does the mention of God really offend so many?

• lori says:

I don’t have a problem with religious songs overall. I have a problem with everyone using them as a way to get into the top 10. Amazing Grace is a beautiful song. It just seems, especially this year, that if someone is in danger of going home, they suddenly break out the hymns. It’s a ploy, and I have a problem with that.

• Alan Dvorkis says:

Yes. It tends to be manipulative. Show us who you are, instead of pandering for votes, which Jordan, especially, has become an expert at.

• Tyler says:

Me too. And I have no idea what kind of artist Braiden wants to become. One week he sings Radioactive. And the next week he sings Amazing Grace. Can the boy be any more mixed up?! I blame Gwen for terrible guidance.

• Kbella says:

Braiden is only 15 and probably hasn’t figured out yet what kind of artist he wants to be. I thought he demonstrated very well last night why he was chosen to be on the show. Give the kid a break.

• Tyler says:

Madi, Emily Ann and Shelby are all only one year older than Braiden yet they have a much more distinctive style than Braiden. In other words, I know exactly what kind of artist they want to become. I have no idea what kind of artist Braiden wants to become. But I blame Gwen for that. She didn’t do him any favors by having him sing songs from all over the map.

7. Andres says:

I think this performance by jeffery is my favorite one from him this season. It was a beautiful arrangment. Hope he makes it.
    I also appreciatedthat barret tried to do something that was different than singing country song, but that risk didn’t pay out.
    My dream final 4
    Jeffery
    Madi
    Jordan
    Emily

8. Dbrillz says:

Rankings:
    1. Jordan: He murdered that song. Hand him the trophy, it’s over.
    2. Jeffery: Phenomenal, as always
    3. Madi: Phenomenal, as always
    4. Amy: Her best performance
    5. Emily Ann: Sang well with sass but didn’t relate to lyrics
    6. Shelby: Sang forgettably in tune
    7. Zach: Boring 💤💤💤💤💤💤
    8. Braiden: I swear if he makes the finale, all religious songs should forever be banned from this show
    9. Barrett: Easily as bad as Delta Dawn

• davmon says:

For me, the same top 4; but they are interchangeable because they take turns being the best. Tonight, Jordan and Amy; other nights Madi and Jeffery. But Emily Ann was very good tonight, so I anticipate the Blake following will push her in, and one of our 4 will be gone. Sad. Not Fair. But given how America votes, I will be happy if 3 of our 4 survive with Emily Ann….If someone else get in?….Get out the paddle; the wind has died!

• TTorvo says:

I agree 100%. However, Emily Ann will be in the top three with Jordan and Jeffrey. Madi and Amy just could have to “duke it out” for a Twitter save. The rest were just as you described and have had more than enough to TV exposure.

9. kevstar says:

Of course, Braiden is doing well. He’s singing Amazing Grace, a song even atheists know.

10. birdlover says:

Madi has a great voice, but I hate when she takes fun songs and slows them down (an American Idol staple maneuver). Girls Just Wanna Have Fun should be fun, not a dirge! Big Girls Don’t Cry was marginally better, but still too weird. I think she’s a wannabe beatnik. I wish she’d just let her voice shine!

• JM1 says:

THIS. Hated what she did to GJWHF, and didn’t like this one, either. Girl, have a little fun yourself!

• birdlover says:

Exactly! FUN! It’s in the title! It’s not called Girls Just Want to Go to a Funeral!! She missed the whole point of one of my favorite songs!

• LOL! Your comment seriously made me laugh, birdlover. I absolutely hate what Madi with Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, because that song should be fun and really jazzy and upbeat. It shouldn’t sound like song that’s meant to be sung at funerals.

• Timmah says:

I thought Big Girls was a flat out snoozefest. Even Braiden outshined her tonight.

• lamusings says:

I LOVED what she did with Girls Just Wanna Have Fun – I heard the lyrics in a whole new way.

• 1humbleopinion says:

Uhhhh…you guys just don’t get it. To just regurgitate Cyndi Laupers version would be the height of unoriginality. There’s no reason to do that on this show. That’s what a Braiden Sunshine would do. She gave the song a different undertone and emotional weight. Way more interesting than hearing Karaoke versions of “9 to 5” or “Somebody To Love”.

11. TC says:

I have no clue how on earth you think Madi will make the bottom three? She’s phenomenal!

12. Andres says:

good news jeffery cracked top ten
    bad news… so did braiden

13. Eurydice says:

I know tomorrow’s mass elimination seems brutal, but I think letting the contestants have a few more weeks of coaching has really helped them. All of the performers have improved and they all did the very best they could. Having said that, I think Jordan, Jeffrey and Emily Ann will go straight through and Madi, Amy and Zach will fight for the final spot.

14. analythinker says:

VOTE, people. That’s all it comes down to. If you don’t believe the conspiracy theory that the show’s rigged, that is.

I cried during Amy’s performance. It was very heartfelt to me this time.
    Jordan’s theatricals were impressive, but I wish I felt more.
    Madi… I don’t know, I don’t like her nasaly parts as much.
    Sadly I don’t think we’ll see Jeffery in the finale. Once they announced the song, I immediately hoped it wouldn’t cost him votes for going with the gay anthem, even though the arrangement was beautiful.

• Angie_Overrated says:

You know what’s weird is 3 of my gay friends texted me tonight asking me if I was watching and said they can’t wait til 10 pm to download the Cher song. Maybe he was onto something with the song choice? Never underestimate the purchasing power of the pink mafia.

• analythinker says:

I guess I did focus on the wrong group of people. But I hope you’re right! I’m holding my breath checking iTunes, Zach & Emily Ann are catching up so fast. I just hope people don’t forget to vote via other methods too!

• JM1 says:

Whether he wins or loses, I am proud of him for choosing gay-friendly songs and keeping true to his own tastes rather than pander to middle America (cough, cough, Amazing Grace, cough cough). At least it’s authentic!

• Adam Hedman says:

Paige said it best when she commented… ” UGH. So many tone deaf opinions. The author of this article must have a hard-on for Jeffery Austin because he was worse than ever tonight. Incredibly off-pitch, lacked timing, and pushed the song too hard with belting. ”

Too bad because I thought he would make top 3 this season.
        I think he just needs a year with a professional “voice coach” to dial him in (notGwen). But I admire his distinguished voice… You know who is singing the second he starts…

But Jordan is hands down the winner winner chicken dinner!!

• Angie_Overrated says:

Jeffery wasn’t pitch perfect on his performance, but to single him out would be pretty unfair. There were far more egregious examples of people not singing correct notes. A missed not isn’t that big of a deal if the recovery is good, and he was recovering really well. A few of them were not recovering and would get worse.
          For a final 4, Jeffery should absolutely be a lock.

• angie'sgreat says:

“He won’t win because I want him to win and the person I want to win has never won”

It’s called karma. Stop being such a crappy person!

And a “missed not” only isn’t a big deal to you if you’re rooting for the contestant (i.e. LGBT, exotic skin color, etc). It’s f’in disgusting! You’re setting the world back several decades with your paternalistic crap.

ok

• angie'sgreat says:

Gee, how did your friends match exactly what I had in my head? While I absolutely hate the term, you are a stereotypical FH, and I think you know what I mean.

15. Angie_Overrated says:

I don’t like him, he still does nothing for me, but whatever… Jordan won the night whether I want to admit it or not. I guess I’m ok with him winning the season. At least the winner will be someone who can sing, which I’m board with.
    When does the next season start?

• Davey says:

Well if you had a choir and an electric light show you’d win the night too. The whole thing was too much and Idolesque at its worst. Yes, he sang well. But what would it have been like without the choir and the light show?

• Rae says:

I thought the gospel choir added fun and flavor to Jordan’s performance, but he didn’t need it for his performance to be killer. He has the pipes, and this song let him lay them out with no uncertainty. Why wouldn’t he do that? It’s a contest for goodness sakes! The lights were somewhat distracting, but Jordan is such a strong performer that he absolutely kept focus where it belonged—on him. Jordan is an incredible talent, I’m grateful to witness his emergence as a major artist. I admire his genuine humility.

I also thoroughly enjoyed Madi’s stylistic interpretation of a song that was popular decades ago—the monotony of the lyrics was strongly over-shadowed by her remarkable voice control. I loved the setting, the outfit (the accordian was a great complement to the over-all effect). She’s my choice for #2. It’s not often I support a female singer—Madi definitely is a stand-out —her style and voice is very recognizable. She sings with maturity and freshness far beyond her years.

• Kbella says:

I couldn’t agree more with what you wrote. It’s a contest and Jordan is doing what he needs to do to win. I do think the fix is in though. While he was performing last night my husband, who doesn’t watch the show, came into the room to see who was singing because he thought they sounded so good. When he saw the gospel choir backing him up he said, “Oh, they want him to win.”

• analythinker says:

I think I recall you asked that question too last season? Heh.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Are you sure that wasn’t season 7? I loved last season, until my near Chernobyl like meltdown at the bottom 2’s with 5th and 6th place. I don’t think I’ve ever been more furious with reality tv in my life. This season is more dull than anything else. When Braiden Sunshine singing Amazing Grace was considered half-way decent given the qualty of the semi-finalists, that tells us everything we need to know about the quality of the season.

• analythinker says:

I think it was recent, in response of Sawyer being “the chosen one” and a clear winner that season, no?

• TinLV says:

Yep.. that pretty much sums it up.. Jeffrey and Jordan are good.. but are they good enough to be stars ? I don’t think anyone this season even holds a candle to previous season winners. This whole season has beehard to really get into.. no one stands out enough to really root for them.

• analythinker says:

I’d argue that some of the Top 9 this season are vocally better than Sawyer though.

• TinLV, I do think Jeffery is marketable. If he sang less in his upper register the resemblance to Sam Smith would be less obvious, and his range and tone are lovely. His lyric interpretation is fabulous, too. I know last night wasn’t his best outing, but he’s been strong all season. In the game we all play “but would I buy his/her CD?” I would put Jeffery at the top of this year’s pack.

• angie'sgreat says:

Why? You’ll hate it even more, Buzzina Killington.

16. birdlover says:

Why is Braiden still in the competition??? I’m from CT too and should be rooting for him, but he should have been gone long ago. He did better tonight than usual, but he definitely should not be doing rock. It is so awkward for him. You have to feel rock. You can’t pretend at it. He needs to find another genre that suits him better like pop ballads.

• JM1 says:

He’s like a kid at a party whose parents have him sing for all the guests, and they are forced to tell him he’s great. . . when they just want to go home.

• birdlover says:

I was thinking the same thing! It’s happened enough times in my family…I was thinking he looks like one of those kids in the home videos. His voice isn’t bad, but he shouldn’t be this far along in the competition IMO.

• lamusings says:

Agreed. His voice is actually quite nice with a lovely warm bottom tone and decent range (although apparently it’s still changing) but he doesn’t know who he is yet – thus his songs and his look were all over the map. No business getting this far. I chalk it up to all the Voice app cheating that was happening, which I think has finally been corrected.

• Rae says:

I agree, Braiden has a beautiful voice and very good control for such a young kid. I am looking forward to hearing him in the future when he’s discovered his genre.

17. Awaxy says:

Loved Madi’s twist on a classic. And the accordion killed!
    Still love Amy but maybe not exciting enough. Maybe she’ll win NBC’s “The Lounge Singer?” Jordan? That was just sick. Drop the mic is right…

• JM says:

LOL on ‘The Lounge Singer’! My thoughts exactly.

• OhMy says:

Yea, she really needs to sing something over the top with meaningless production and choral arrangements since this is The Voice after all.

• JM says:

No, she just needs to sing. Half the time I can’t even hear her.

• davmon says:

You guys are too funny! But sign me up. Guess I am a coffeehouse, lounge act sort of guy. I really like Amy and Madi. And I appreciate Pharrell and Adam for supporting these “small acts”. Same with Pharrell last season–with Sawyer and Mia Z. So, no matter how annoying it is when a Braiden or Zach get way too far or a Darius or Mia leave way too early…at least The Voice has allowed us to make the acquaintance of these wonderful artists–and maybe small venues across America may give them oxygen for decades to come. Because this show has made us into fans of them.

• Davmon, I’m with you. I know I would buy and enjoy Amy’s CD. At this point in every Voice season, I start really thinking of the contestants that way. Will I look for their post-show work (hoping there is some)? Do I think I understand–and like–what kind of artist they will be as they leave the show? Will I be excited if I hear they have songs or, better, CDs coming out? Would I pay to see them in a live show? I’m not suggesting Amy and Madi are perfect in their choices or performances, because they haven’t been. But they have drawn me in, and given me moments of great pleasure, and I’d like to see more of them (Amy especially).

• lamusings says:

agreed!

18. Katie says:

Agree with all comments about Jordan getting the final spot….again! He shreaks and screams and we get Adam running up there and mic dropping. Please stop NBC, how self indulgent. I preferred at least 3 performances way more than that overdone production (Jeffrey, Emily, Even Amy).

Can we also talk about whatever happened during Barrett’s song? Mic dropping or him not singing? Sabotage against Team Blake?

19. Mike says:

I’m beginning to hate the Itunes voting. Braiden in the top 10 and Zack’s at 11. They both sucked. This is pathetic.

• JoanieBlu says:

You said it. Ugh. And what I especially hate is when contestants/coaches make calculated choices with those hymnals — certain that the buying public will stupidly fall for them every time. And they do! PEOPLE: There are many many versions of Amazing Grace that will knock your socks off. Please buy one of those, not Braiden’s. SPARE US. If that little twerp (no offense, Braiden, but you need a couple of years) makes it to the finals, I’m done with this show forever.

• Why are grown adults cyber bullying a sweet 15 year old boy who is only doing his best?

• Disgruntled and Pissed says:

No one is bullying him. He is, hands down, the worst contestant left. He knew what he was getting into when he signed up to do this show. He inexplicably beat out thousands of other, harder working, more talented, more seasoned contestants when Gwen chose him to be on her team. I blame Gwen for this travesty. Regardless of how the top four shakes up, Braiden will never be a superstar.

• Kbella says:

I know! The poor kid is 15 and clearly loves to perform! Let him figure out what kind of performer he wants to be and stop being so mean. He’s a nice young man and deserves our respect for just putting himself out there.

• JM1 says:

We are not being mean or making personal attacks, we are stating the obvious. Braiden is way out of his league at this level of competition.

I love to sing, too. But that doesn’t mean any of you deserve to be subjected to it. ;-p

• Sunshine says:

I dont care what the iTunes chart shows, Braiden Sunshine should of been gone by now, just because you sing a religious song don’t mean you can sing, he’s only 15, he needs to get some more experience under his belt, Jordan is good but he did the same kind of music every week, never too a risk.

20. Jakay says:

So many odd song choices… So much schmaltz about 9-11/plane crash/me getting votes on Twitter is what Amazing Grace is about… Jeffery was terrific and heartfelt, Madi was cute and authentic, Shelby got dissed when she didn’t deserve it, Amy was wavery and not strong and Emily Ann was nasal and not all that great on a really stupid song to pick at this point. I haven’t mentioned Jordan because I don’t believe in backing someone who is being pimped to the skies already. While his voice was fine, there was so little in that performance about looking for somebody to love that I can’t put him at the top of my list. Sure, he was having fun being the fortunate son, the golden child, the pre-ordained winner with his gospel choir of 115 and his fireworks and roller coasters and laser show and bonfires and drones and Santa Claus and reindeer and balloons and ice cream and dancing elves. But he didn’t connect with anything real in that song whatsoever. If plastic pyrotechnics were a thing, that’s what I’d call it. So: 1. Jeffery 2. Madi 3. Shelby 4. Zach 5. Amy 6. Jordan 7. Emily Ann 8. Barrett 9. Braiden

• SaraPo says:

You win. My favorite comment of the night, that is. Agree with it all, even the dancing elves lol

• Lucie says:

It was a lousy song choice for Emily Ann. I can’t believe Blake let that happen. Averaging all the performances, I would put Jeffrey at #1 and Emily Ann at #2. Jordan has gotten old, same ol’ same ol’. I like Barrett, but more his voice than his performances. Zachary was finally good tonight, but there were too many bad performances. Madi, Shelby and Amy never quite clicked for me, but I like Amy’s vibe.

• PSCali says:

Ice cream?!? Jordan must have eaten it all because I did not see any in his performance. Meanwhile, Jeffrey has lost weight and Carson has packed on a few pounds. I actually prefer Carson with a little more weight in his face. He got too skinny a few years ago.

• Ginger Snap says:

“there was so little in that performance about looking for somebody to love”. You missed the point. It wasn’t supposed to be some smarmy, soporific lonely heart’s club ditty about heartache, pain or loss. I was supposed to be exactly what it was – over-the-top showboating.

A++ Jordan! Christina Aguilera would be proud .

• Jealous much? How bad is he beating your contestant? The reason he is being hyped is because he has been the best since the 1st.

• Rae says:

Agreed. I can’t believe how catty these folks are. It’s a contest folks—the idea is to be memorable. Picked Jordan as #1 before anyone turned for him. He’s a winner based on consistent, near-perfect, memorable performances.

21. JM says:

Hey Michael, I’ll go with you on the sabotage theory. It’s pretty obvious that the producers aren’t ready to have a female coach win–even if she has the best singer on the show (Jeffery)! It doesn’t help any that Jeffery and Madi’s performances weren’t their best and Jordan’s was his best since the battles. Sigh. Still voting and hoping for a Jeffery, Madi, Jordan and Emily final four!

22. danin says:

It’s no fun knowing who the winner is weeks ahead. Yes,Jordan slayed.I still like Adam Lambert better. Jeffrey,Jeffery ,Jeffrey…I love his voice and want him around for next week. Emily Ann, pleasant voice but she don’t know from nothing bout working 9-5. I really liked Zach tonight for the first time in forever.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Jeffery indeed! I’ll vote for him. I guess that’s all we can do. Not splitting my vote this season. Jeffery gets 10 and everyone else gets 0.

• Davey says:

I only voted for Jeffery tonight. And so did several of my friends. Let’s face it someone has to be there besides Jordan. I hope Madi or Amy make the top 3. But I’m afraid Blake’s posse are voting like mad for his singers behind the scenes.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Maybe I’m being naive here, but how are Blake’s posse getting excited for his contestants? I’ve literally completely forgotten about Zach and couldn’t tell you what he sang or what he did if you told me my entire family’s life depended on giving a correct answer. Barrett was garbage to the nth power and Emily Anne was cute I guess.
          Yeah, I’m being naive. I just remembered Jake Worthington.

• davmon says:

Thee spake Truth! Ye are a naif–and so art Me! Clearly, of what’s left, Jeffery, Madi, Amy, and Jordan have been good or great every time out. They deserve to be the last 4. Emily Ann has had 2 very decent showings in the last 4 weeks, which may be enough so that she bumps someone…That will not be so terrible…We should expect Blake to muscle his way into the finale somehow….But if it is more than that, which it might…then why are we even watching this stupid show….Oh right, I have really enjoyed hearing Madi and Amy and Jeffery (and Darius and Celeste and Nadjah and Ellie and Sydney)–even if they do not win this absurd popular-vote “reality” tv show.

• angie'sgreat says:

Wow, you insult Blake’s team and then sh*t on a previous contestant for no reason?! You’re an awesome person! I hope you feel really good about yourself! I think JA’s okay but you have guaranteed he will be getting 0 votes from me.

ok

• danin says:

Wow. That’s exactly what I did tonight. No vote splitting.

• True, Danin. It’s an interesting thought that last night was the real contest for most of the top 9. It’s not so much who will win (since it seems that it will be Jordan), but who will join him in the top 4.

23. Polarvortex says:

Does anyone know where Jeffrey is ranked on itunes?

• AM says:

Right now Jeffrey is #5 on iTunes, only behind Jordan who is #1. That being said, the entire top 9 is in the top 10 excluding Shelby and Barrett.

• Davey says:

Jeffrey’s no. 5 right now, second behind no. 1 Jordan. Braiden is no. 6 but I don’t know if that will translate into votes. Everyone’s in top 10 except Barrett and Shelby.

24. Omarr says:

Bad news: Braiden and Zack cracked Top 10
    Good News: So did Jordan, Jeffery, Madi, Emily Ann, and Amy
    P.S. Sadly Barrett will make it to Top 10 very soon
    It’s not looking too good for Shelby

25. kennz says:

if jeffery has to sing tomorrow ( i hope not he deserves to be sent straight to the top 3), then what song should he sing? i hope its a sam smith song. :)

26. Russ N says:

Man get the popcorn ready. After tomorrow nights bloodbath these boards are gonna be interesting. I still think it will be Jordan, Jeffery, Emily Ann, and the last spot from Barrett , Amy, and Madi. Braiden maybe charting very well this week. But he has been weak all through the lives. No way he makes the final 4.

27. scott says:

For a semi final, this show was extremely lackluster. The only exceptional performers tonight were Amy and Madi. Even Jeffrey, whom I have been rooting for, didn’t have a good night. Song choice and arrangement seemed to do everyone in. I also am officially anti ‘nbc pimpspot’. With the exception of 2 weeks, Jordan has been outright pimped out, and I’m just tired of it. I dont recall this practice during the first few seasons. Seems like a big waste of time, he is gonna win. Unless that’s the illusion they want to portray. We’ll see, but I won’t be holding my breath.

28. davmon says:

All nine are likeable and have had occasional good outings, but only four have been consistently great. Here is my take:
    – Barrett: Song mediocre as were the vocals. Surpassed his talent level weeks ago.
    – Shelby: Timely but redundant lyric. Nice pocket, but oversang high parts. Has faded.
    – Jeffery: Lovely rich vocals. Oversang a bit. Not his best. But has been Top 4 for 2 months.
    – Braiden: High school talent show semis….When struggling & outclassed, sing gospel.
    – Zach: Mediocre song & vocals. Has not shown much—except a healthy pelvis—in weeks.
    – Madi: Quirky, risky arrangement & vocals. But delightful. Not her best…Consistently Top 4.
    – Emily Ann: Lousy staging, but she was great!…Cracked the door on Top 4…although her body of work puts her at #5 in my book.
    – Amy: Silky, heart-felt, delicious. High part unnecessary. Top 4 probably since Blinds.
    – Jordan: Well, what can I say. We knew he probably had it in him. But would he ever show it again, after Chandelier….Top 4!….

So, Jordan and Amy were wonderful tonight—and have been good or great every time. Madi and Jeffery have been consistently great—as good or better than Jordan and Amy. Tonight, they were a notch below. And that leaves us Emily Ann, who was great tonight and cracked the door open—but has not been consistent overall….If the Final 4 are all out of these 5, I will be happy! If even one of the other 4 sneak in, it is a travesty.

29. dj says:

Amazing Race? Hee hee. Anyway, my faves tonight were Jeffrey, Jordan, Madi, and Braiden, even if his song was too long, and even if it seems like people are doing hymns just to get votes more than usual this season. Anyway, if America votes like me, team Pocahontas will be intact, team Pharell will be intact, Adam will still have Jordan, and Blake will have nobody to loooovvvvve.

• Russ N says:

If you have watched this show long enough. You would know Blake always has somebody to love.

• Michelle Burnore says:

Has it ever occurred to any of you, that the “pimp” spot, as you call it, is always given to the one with the most votes from the week before? And taking that into consideration, why should it surprise you, that it is Jordan? I realize, we are a nation that loves the underdog, so now everyone has a hate-on for poor Jordan? Does he look or act, like anyone that has had an easy road? Ease up, people. Good heavens!

30. Ronnie says:

Right now, Jordan is number 1 on iTunes with Jeffrey at number 5 and Braiden at Number 6 before the west coast chimes in. Let’s hope the real talent of Jeffrey, Jordan and Madi prevails with the 4th spot going to Emily. If Braiden makes the top 4 and Jeffrey does not, I’m done.

31. I usually agree w/the rankings here & comments but not tonight. It is irritating that Jordan always gets the pimp spot or very close to it, but I have no doubt he will win. I like him but I like others as well. My rankings off tonight’s performances:

1. Jordan
    2. Jeffrey
    3. Emily Ann
    4. Amy-she REALLY connected on this song. That’s what I’ve been missing from her.
    5. Shelby
    6. Barrett
    7. Madi-always stellar but bored me to tears tonight. She’s a true artist though.
    8. Zach
    9. Braiden-let’s stop the madness now folks. If he’s in the final I quit the show forever. Just no.

I love Shelby & Madi but Shelby sang 2nd-not good! Madi bored me to tears but over all she’s been great so…Emily Ann has impressed the most over the last few weeks with how far she’s grown & stepped it up. No matter what happens, some really good singers will be left. That’s not a sign to quit. It’s a sign to keep going. If you’ve made it to the top 9 or 10 of The Voice it’s for a reason. Use it!!!

32. DarkDefender says:

Seriously, pimped or not.. Jordan did Freddy Mercury proud.

33. Faye Janni says:

amazing Jordon smith

34. Kim Moores says:

I just shed legitimate tears for all the black women to previously be on this show who sang Soul/R&B that was accused of screaming/screeching/yelling for singing the same way Jordan did tonight.
    Meanwhile, that over-hyped showboat American Susan Boyle knockoff just got lauded as a God for it. Literally, the youtube comments are so present and excited for him performance when I’m 100000000% certain they’ve been slandering the black girls for that previously.
    And he’s #1 on iTunes in a heartbeat?

Nope.
    Nope.
    #Sisaundra #KimberlyNichole #KorynHawthorne #DonnaAllen #HellToTheNawNawNaw

• JM1 says:

I know, right??

#Yourepreachingtothechoir
      Jordan is very talented, I’ll give him that, but everything you’re saying is categorically true.
      Weren’t you the one saying Meghan’s singing from last season knocks out your drywall? I’ve thought of that comment several times the last few months and it still makes me laugh.

• Kim Moores says:

Yep. I maintain that, too.
        Most aggressive singing to ever greet my ears. So extra in all the wrong ways.

• Freddie Mercury to a tea. Think Queen is any good?

• Angie_Overrated says:

I don’t think the question is whether or not Jordan is good. It’s just when a black woman belts on this show, the commentariat goes crazy calling her a “screamer” and “histrionic” and “yeller” and “screecher.”
            But Jordan from this season and Meghan from last season got free passes.

• angie'sgreat says:

“Racism!!!!”-Angie

Your repeated screams don’t make it the truth. Overwhelming the comments section with your underwhelming opinion doesn’t make it Ebertian.

• Sharon Thacker says:

I don’t understand a word you’re saying. What’s that got to do with him sounding and acting like Freddie Mercury?

ok

• Angie_Overrated says:

He was “screaming” like Freddie Mercury. I’m not arguing it’s bad. In fact, I’d say the vocal was excellent. But the people who cry foul about “screamers” are only exclusively leveling those claims against black women. White folks get free passes on this show for the same type of singing.

• Sharon Thacker says:

The point of the show is to have a great vocal. No matter how you get it. I like black “screamers”.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Yup, I agree with you Sharon. I was only agreeing with Kim Moores that there seems to be a double standard for white contestants and black contestants with similar singing styles.

• JM says:

Well, I have to admit that I liked Jordan’s performance tonight–he was having fun, and I enjoyed it. However, I have complained about his screaming in past performances. I completely agree about Kimberly and Koryn and your black female screaming comment. They definitely got the shaft, and I was especially depressed over Kimberly’s early departure.

• davmon says:

Sadly, I agree. I like Jordan ok. He was great tonight. But a subtext of this season has been how all artists with more melanin and curl disappeared so early. Five in the 24, one in 12, gone from 11. There should have been 2 or 3 easily. Seems reactionary….And this is from a paleface from the South.

• Oh, Koryn Hawthorne! I miss her so much.

• Angie_Overrated says:

You and me both. I will purchase my one and only religious-inspired album if she ever comes out with one. That voice is one in a million.

• Alan Dvorkis says:

He like the producer has been shamelessly manipulative with his song choice and approach. He has no soul to what he does. His singing, in no way moves. It is all just show, no substance.

• Eklp says:

Koryn was incredible!!

• Jo says:

I agree Kim Moores. They can sell that mess to many, but it was just that, a mess.

35. Pauletta says:

Jordan Smith has the most AMAZING voice ever heard on The Voice…perhaps on earth!!!

36. Jorge Gonzalez says:

Team Blake

37. scott says:

This whole season has been one big joke. Between the pimping here, bad song choice there and everything in between. This season basically ended for me after the blinds. Here’s hoping season 10 can recapture the magic of earlier seasons

38. Howard says:

Firstly, my Top/Final 4 are Jordan, Emily Ann, Shelby and Amy…Jordan because he’s incredible, Emily Ann cause she reminds me of what Carrie probably looked like at her age, Shelby, because I love her tone and Amy, because, well, her vulnerability moves me and LOOK AT HER! Braiden doesn’t belong, Zach is counting on his crotch, Barrett and Jeffrey bore me, and Madi is making the songs TOO MUCH her own.

• Eklp says:

I agree about Emily Ann…I have thought of Carrie on AI when she performs. Also agree about Shelby…rich, beautiful voice. My top 4 would be Jordan because the boy can sing!, Emily Ann, Shelby and any Madi or Amy.

39. Davey says:

With almost all the singers charting the top 10 of iTunes, the Voice chose the wrong season to cut 5 singers in one week. The producers really didn’t know what they were doing this year. And crowning Jordan the winner from the first few shows was also not good.

40. katee says:

So does anyone remember Adam Lambert doing a similar arrangement during Hollywood week of AI?

41. Paige says:

UGH. So many tone deaf opinions. The author of this article must have a hard-on for Jeffery Austin because he was worse than ever tonight. Incredibly off-pitch, lacked timing, and pushed the song too hard with belting. Over-singing is a turn-off every time.

Baber… has stage presence, but his voice is unremarkable. There’s nothing in his tone that would identify him on the radio. He’s probably a nice person, but not exceptional and I’d never follow his career.

Shelby… I don’t like the pre-performance segments as they create a bias where people feel sorry for a contestant’s personal story or struggles. This show is the VOICE. The only thing that should matter is if they blow you away with their singing.

Jordan plays the gospel/church choir card every week. At this point, yes, his voice is perfection in terms of pitch, but he’s a one-note singer and a concert of all the same songs would not fly.

42. Ginger Snap says:

Don’t have a horse in the race but the final three should be Jordan, Jeffery, and Madi. Don’t care who is #4, but that’s the first time I ever felt like the chorus “Working 9-to-5, it’s enough to drive you crazy if you let it ” went on and on and on. It was a chore listening to Miss Emily trudge through it. I’ll take Amy please.

43. Timmah says:

Hey, did you guys know that Barrett survived a plane crash?

• davmon says:

Oh, Snarksville!…but yes, when performance slips, the backstory is revisited to remind, promote sympathy, and prompt votes–when it should no longer be relevant. The show has this formula down after 9 seasons.

• Woodmeister says:

There’s a million stories in the naked city…….but I don’t care to hear them all. And certainly not ad nauseum when we are about contestants on a singing show. I wish they would drop the back stories altogether. It’ll never happen because then we’d only have a half hour show..

• Michael H. says:

No way! I’ve never heard that before in my life!

44. I think Jordan is amazing, and though I abhor the pimping, it IS called The Voice, and I think he has the best one, so I think he should win. My favorites are Jordan, Jeffery, and Amy. I think Braiden should be in the bottom and then its a toss-up, but I think Braiden will go Top 4 and not Jeffery or Amy, so I think I’ll be unhappy with the results.

Jordan’s going to win, so if you don’t like him, you probably won’t want to watch next week’s finale results.

45. Jimmy says:

I think the finals SHOULD be Jordan, Jeffery, Emily, and Madi. (Plus that would be super cool since each coach would have an artist represented). If Braiden makes it through though, I don’t know what I’ll do.

46. Sally says:

Braden is third out of the Voice singers on I-Tunes right now but the others are hot on his trail. If you want to get Emily, Amy Shelby or Madi to go ahead of him, download their songs. If enough of us download the others songs, they will go ahead of Braiden. There is still a chance that by noon tomorrow, many others will go ahead of Braiden and he will be on the bottom three.

47. Marianne says:

Complaining that only 2 coaches got to say anything about Jeffrey’s performance? Jordan had no comments other than a few seconds from Adam. I like Jeffrey, but did not care for the Cher song choice, and it was not my favorite performance of his. Emily Ann is talented. …not my cup of tea. Madi and Amy were fine. Barrett was not good tonight. His lower register was not pleasant. Zach had a good voter song choice and wasn’t horrible. Poor, bland Shelby sounded great, but is charting the lowest right now. The VERY scariest is Braiden….he had a great voter song choice AND one of his better vocals of the season. He may sneak in…and yes, he is currently charting 2nd highest after, of course, Jordan….who was freaking awesome tonight!

48. LAMusing says:

West Coast viewer so just halfway through. Barrett was just flat out bad (D for dreadful), Shelby did a nice job but probably not enough to go thru (B). Jeffrey – I’ve been a fan but tonight was my least favorite performance by him, it was a little too screamy in sections. It’s the first time I could hear strain in his voice (B-). Braiden – not a fan mainly because he’s been all over the map in song choices and styles and clearly isn’t clear on who he is as a performer yet. Rolled my eyes at the pandering song choice, but he actually did a quite lovely version (B-). Zach – Until tonight I’ve classed him as the teen girls love him guy with a so-so voice, but tonight was the best I’ve seen him. He was passionate but in control and it showed his voice off to a better advantage than previous songs (B). Madi – I love her. She is unique and really an artist with her material and that voice is cooler than cool. I would so pay to watch a whole show of her. Quirky song and maybe too simple lyrically so I’m worried for her. (A)

49. Chimerix says:

Great performances by all but it’s clear Jordan will be the winner. He’s on a whole other level in talent and technical skill as compared to the rest. I’m surprised at how many people are buying the “my heart is so broken I just need love” performance Jeffry is constantly putting on. He has a good voice but all his performances make me think of a teenage girl sitting in her room after a breakup eating ice cream and listening to the same Taylor swift song over and over. Jordan doesn’t cry or get all emotional because he doesn’t need to. As for the tin foil hat people it’s reality tv… If you start questioning it there’s no point in watching it.

• kennz says:

i think it depends on the person because i think what people see in jeffery is that he’s able to give 100% emotion in each performance where others can not even if his songs meanings are similar and his vocals aren’t perfect. idk thats my opinion but he’s still one of the best singers in the competition.

50. skrable2 says:

What happened to Dolly Parton? Blake said last week she was supposed to coach the final nine singers.

• Michael H. says:

Yeah, I remember that too. Is she only supposed to come on during the Results show? I wanted to hear me some Dolly!

• davmon says:

Um…well…I guess he was supposed to pick her up at the airport, but was too busy hanging with the new GF. Bad news: She probably is still be out at LAX. Good news: She has likely written three or four more good songs out of her experience.

• lamusings says: