Italia Ricci Supergirl

Supergirl: Italia Ricci Joins Cast as DC Villainess Silver Banshee

Chasing Life fans, here’s hoping Italia Ricci‘s next gig will fill the April Carver-sized void on your DVRs.

The actress has been tapped for a recurring role on Supergirl as DC villainess Silver Banshee, CBS announced Friday.

Supergirl Silver BansheeRicci will make her debut in Episode 14 as Siobhan Smythe, Cat Grant’s latest hire at CatCo who quickly becomes a work nemesis for Kara — but that’s nothing compared to the havoc she’ll wreak as Silver Banshee. (Per DC lore, Silver Banshee can weaken and kill anyone within range of her incredibly destructive sonic screams.)

“We are so excited to be working with Italia,” executive producer Andrew Kreisberg said in a statement. “We’ve been a fan of her work for years and we cannot wait to see her take on this iconic comic book role.”

ETOnline was first to report the news of Ricci’s casting. Hit the comments with your reactions!

1. “Per DC lore, Silver Banshee can weaken and kill anyone within range of her incredibly destructive sonic screams” With one caveat being that she can see her victim and knows their secret true name :)

• Wordsmith says:

That is an interesting detail that could definitely be woven into the plot. On the other hand, it’s also pretty mystical (which the show hasn’t really done yet) and a bit complicated to explain (which the show generally seems to avoid).
      More likely, they’ll just go with “she screams and stuff blows up.”

• Erik says:

To be fair kryptonians have a weakness to magic. So silver banshee should be a great for for Kara

• I thought it was fairly clever on Byrne’s part when he created the character for the Superman comics. One reason it would have to be removed for Stupidgirl is because she uses the same name as a hero AND in her civilian ID, Kara. There’s nothing secret about it.

• lrdslvrhnd says:

Well, her “true name” would be Kara Zor-El, but she goes by Kara Danvers, so there is that, at least.
          Glad to see Italia Ricci in a recurring role; hopefully it’ll keep recurring until she gets a new show of her own!

• esteban says:

Stupidgirl? Are we 12 now? FFS

• What hero uses the same name as a secret ID and as a hero name? She’s an idiot.

• Temperance says:

Yes, he’s a rather unhinged hater that can’t stop positing in threads for shows that he loathes. It’s nutty as Trump.

• Joe says:

Guessing he’s just upset there’s a strong female hero on TV in a show with feminist themes. That seems to get a lot of people to shed a lot of tears.

• lrdslvrhnd says:

…except, she doesn’t? She uses “Supergirl” as her hero name. She uses “Kara Danvers” as her civilian name. And her “true name” is Kara Zor-El.

The world doesn’t know Supergirl = Kara Danvers = Kara Zor-El (it may seem like it does, but really, only a handful of people… OK, maybe a couple of handfuls… do. And the only people in her “civilian” life who do are her adoptive mother & sister, her best friend, and the guy who knew who she was even before Supergirl appeared on the scene. I’d wager that even most of the DEO don’t know her Kryptonian name.

This is no different than all the people in Peter Parker’s life who know that he’s Spider-Man; doesn’t mean he uses the same name as a hero and a civilian. It’s not like Reed Richards who all the world knows is Mr. Fantastic, or Tony Stark who all the world knows is Iron Man.

• Blah says:

Plus undercover cops regularly use the same first name when they are undercover. It’s so if someone randomly recognises them when they are on the job. They don’t get called Steve when they are pretending to be tony ect

• Jeri says:

It’s a TV show. Go elsewhere for real life screenings. There are lots of channels for those who can’t handle fiction.

2. fiberlicious says:

I really like her. I hope her character doesn’t make the show unwatchable.

3. Mr. Tran K says:

I know people were disappointed about the cancellation of Chasing Life and Italia Ricci’s guest starring role on Supergirl is a sure thing.

4. Kate says:

Interesting, I guess, though, it means she can’t fill a particular role people were clamoring for on Arrow. I know not officially the same universe, but they don’t want to eliminate things in case someone someday finds a legal loophole (though it likely wouldn’t be Supergirl and Arrow to mix it would be SG and the Flash or Legends).

5. Shannon says:

I don’t watch Supergirl but I loved Chasing Life, and I’m so happy for Italia!

6. Danielle says:

I am so happy Italia Ricci will be back on my tv screen again!! One good thing to come out of the Chasing Life cancellation is to see what roles she’ll take on next…

7. Joey Padron says:

Happy she’ll be back on TV soon! She was great on Chasing Life. Can’t wait to see her on the show!

8. Wow Michael, Just wow, for someone who HATES Supergirl by THIS MUCH, you spend an awful lot of time coming on to TVLine, not acting your age and trashing this show. We get it, you don’t like it, just because you are a failure at what you do does NOT give you the jurisdiction to subject your opinion upon all the other fans, like myself, who enjoy this show. Do us a favor, get off and be on with your life, please!!! (Even Matt Mitovich has asked you kindly to stay off, and you haven’t)

I wanna apologize, by the way to everyone and to the TVLine crew for my actions, btw, but someone has to speak up. Michael has been playing this game since the day Supergirl was announced, PLEASE DO SOMETHING!!! I know I said I’d stop coming here for TVNews, but I’ve been loyal to Michael Ausiello since his TVGuide days, and I dont wanna betray that.

With that little rant out of the way, regarding the casting of Italia, I adore her, I love her in Chasing Life, her and that show helped me face my inner demons and (temporarily) beat them! Italia is one of the few ladies that calms me in her performances(strange I know, but she does). No Doubt Italia is going to be a great addition to the Supergirl team.

9. Night says:

Thank you Bradley someone had to say it to that opinionated motor mouth Michael. Whenever there is a new piece on Supergirl he’s immediately in there like a vulture. It’s always anything to do with sci-fi / comic book etc he sworms in and yells out his views.