TVLine Items: Tom Welling's CBS Drama, The Flash Adds Tar Pit and More

It’s a bird! It’s a plane! It’s Tom Welling‘s return to TV!

The onetime Clark Kent has found his first post-Smallville TV project in Section 13, a drama series in development at CBS that he will topline and produce.

According to Deadline, the project centers on a CIA black ops officer-turned-private contractor (played by Welling) who, on the heels of a personal tragedy, joins a covert organization devoted to carrying out the most difficult and dangerous high-stakes assignments.

Carla Kettner (Bones) will write the script and exec-produce with Welling.

Ready for more of today’s newsy nuggets? Well…

* Marco Grazzini (Heroes Reborn) will appear on an upcoming episode of The Flash as Joey Monteleone (aka Tar Pit), a vengeful metahuman with the ability to transform into molten asphalt, ComicBook.com reports.

* Season 6 of Showtime’s reality series Gigolos will premiere on Thursday, March 17, at 11/10c.

* CNBC has renewed Jay Leno’s Garage for a 12-episode second season, to premiere in Spring 2016.

* Pop TV on Thursday announced three series in development: The Joey McIntyre Project, a half-hour comedy featuring the New Kids on the Block singer as a fictionalized version of himself, who gets a chance to host his own daily talk show; Celebrity Escape Room, in which two celebrities and their friends get locked in identical rooms and must use their pop culture knowledge to escape; and I Watch It With My Girlfriend, featuring a rotating panel of male guests who offer their perspectives on female-skewing TV shows.

1. I was just waiting for this to be posted in here…..so excite!! Tom Welling!!

2. Ian says:

Tom Welling is bae from childhood, so having a standing weekly appointment every week with him again is filling a void, frankly. And the silver fox status! *dies*

3. Me says:

Kind of wish they could get him to be the notorious ” cousin” on supergirl for even just an episode. *sigh* A girl can dream. I am glad to have the chance to see him a again on my tv.

• Nichole says:

That would be nice for us, but I don’t think he would have any interest. Even if he was interested, his refusal to wear the suit would probably be a deal breaker.

• blah says:

I’d rather the notorious cousin be Zach Levi. However getting Tom Welling returning to TV is definitely a good thing.

• dancmh says:

I’d be ok if he showed up on a episode of the Flash in a red windbreaker, called himself “Jonathan” and helped coral one escaped metahuman. Then at the end of the episode, they could just show him stepping through one of the 52 rifts to other worlds. Throw in a line of radio contact from Chloe telling CK to come home, and it would be perfect.

4. Amy says:

‘a covert organization devoted to carrying out the most difficult and dangerous high-stakes assignments’, huh? For a moment i wondered if this show was the new MacGyver reboot in disguise.

• tyranthraxus says:

Actually that would of been interesting. For season 1 of Macgyver they created a Department of External Services early on which was a Quasi FBI/CIA hybrid who he worked for (before the Non Government.. Private) Phoenix Foundation.

• spp138 says:

I was thinking it kind of sounded like “The Player”

5. AdM says:

How he gets more dreamy with age is beyond me

6. Murica! says:

Great to have Tom Welling back on tv. I like the premise of his new show.
    Smallville was amazing! I’m still waiting for the entire series to be released on blu-ray.

• Drew says:

I think the studio hasn’t released the early seasons on blu-ray because the sfx were created for standard definition and bringing them up to HD levels would require going back and redoing everything.
      It is worth the investment, if you ask me. Right now they seem to be holding back a classic series, not making it available in a lot of modern formats.

• Murica! says:

I agree. It would be great to own the entire series on blu-ray. I’ve been waiting for years now for WB to release it.

7. Drew says:

Glad to see him coming back to TV. Sorry to see him going to CBS. The network does nothing well.
    As a side note, how awesome would it be to see him as a hunter in an episode of Supernatural?

8. ninamags says:

OMG!!!! One of the most beautiful people on the planet!!!

Back on tv!!! YES!!!

When will this see the light of the tv screen??

9. nicole says:

this is fantastic news, Tom is not only a beautiful man but is also a great actor !!! ❤️😘🎈💥

10. liame says:

Sorry about the divorce, but glad to have you back on the small screen. You seriously belong on the big screen, “fingers crossed” for the next Bond, “James Bond”. Fine as wine. ;)

11. lariet50 says:

Hm. I don’t recall Tom Welling being as attractive as he is in that picture.

12. Dmac says:

Dear God, the man takes my breath away.

13. So it’s Tom Welling in a version of Human Target, written by a Bonehead? I’ll watch!

14. Erica says:

Section 13…reminds me of a similar show from the 90s, Soldier of Fortune, Inc. Does anyone remember that show?

15. His “first post-Smallville TV project”? Are you forgetting “Hellcats”? Maybe his first where he is on screen.

16. Sabrina says:

The news of Tom Welling in a new TV series is great.

17. Imzadi says:

Wow, that picture is just wow. Looking forward to his next project.

18. Marc says:

Sweet Heaven,look at him!!!

19. mike says:

Can’t wait sounds like it will be great. We need more action shows. Miss The Player already.

20. Joey Padron says:

Great news Tom Welling is returning to TV with his new show! He was great on Smallville.

21. Gerri says:

Back to work Tom.
    This is good news.
    And glad it is on a network as opposed to a specialty channel that i don’t get.

22. Lupe says:

Yes! Finally! So excited to see Tom on my TV again!

23. Ro says:

Damn… he’s grown up nicely since his Smallville days.

24. Chris Lee says:

Sounds like the Player to me, without the gambling on crime aspect.

25. Luis says:

Finally!! I was wondering when we would hear from Tom Welling again. I will hold out hope for the pilot

26. Cathy Viviano says:

That tom welling drama will probably be axed within two months (hint ratings?)

27. Kristina says:

Very excited to see Tom Welling coming back to TV! But…doesn’t that sounds an awful lot like Person of Interest…?

28. Phoenix5634 says:

Great actor, casted in another pile of **** TV show. I bet the show has great ratings, but only cuz they casted Tom Welling, without him the storyline I bet is a dime a dozen. It sounds like a hundred other shows on the air now, or in the past.

• Phoenix5634 says:

Likely won’t watch, maybe the pilot an we’ll go from there… I expected more from Tom welling, he could easily get casted in a way better show than what this one sounds like… He can do better for himself.

29. Phoenix5634 says:

Honestly, would have made more sense to have him play superman occasionally on the new Supergirl show. I understand why they didn’t, cuz then people would connect the show to Smallville and what not… But I honesty don’t think people would care, as long as it was announced before his appearence that the two shows wouldn’t share a connection.