The Originals Spoilers

The Originals EP Talks Aurora vs. Cami, Hayley's Turning Point With Jackson

What do you do when your centuries-old ex kidnaps your current flame after ditching your sister in a box at the bottom of the sea? Fortunately, you’ll never have to find out — these are strictly #KlausMikaelsonProblems.

Thursday’s episode of The Originals (The CW, 9/8c) spins a “sinister” new tale in the Klaus/Cami/Aurora saga, as the love-stricken hybrid is forced to endure more twisted ex-games to keep his loved ones safe.

“What I love about Aurora is that she’s the archetypal ex-girlfriend who is convinced that the object of her affection still loves her,” executive producer Michael Narducci tells TVLine. “She’s wound her way into every fabric of [Klaus’] being, and she compares all other women to herself. She has an arrogant interpretation of Klaus’ affection, which I find hysterical. Rebecca Breeds does such a great job being sinister but also amusing.”

Below, Narducci sheds some light on the final scene of the previous episode, maps out the differences in Klaus’ feelings for Cami and Aurora and offers a ray of hope for those fans worrying that Hayley and Jackson could be heading for Werewolf Divorce Court.

TVLINE | Before I ask about Klaus’ love life, and I apologize in advance for being totally dense, can you explain what was going through Elijah’s head as he looked at the dinner table last week?
Of course. He was looking at the disarray of the Thanksgiving table, how the events of the day took a turn and went south. As he realized how much trouble Rebekah is in, he had a memory of the flash he saw [in Alexis’ vision]. He can’t stop what’s coming, the prophecy of the Mikaelsons falling in the next 12 months, and he’s starting get a little uneasy.

TVLINE | OK, now that we have that cleared up, let’s talk about bad-ass Cami cutting off that guy’s fingers. Can we get more of that?
[Laughs] I really loved that scene. When Michelle [Paradise] and Beau [DeMayo] pitched it, I was excited about seeing Cami use all of her character traits — her intelligence, her savvy way of making herself be perceived as vulnerable — to limit this guy’s ability to kill her. And she would have been successful, but she basically leapt from the frying pan to the preverbal fire, coming face-to-face with Aurora. Seeing those very smart women together — one is a psychologist, and the other, as we’ve hinted at, has some unstable personality traits — was really interesting to me.

TVLINE | Klaus isn’t the best at articulating his romantic thoughts. How would you classify his feelings for Cami and Aurora?
I think there definitely two sides of Klaus Mikaelsson. The Klaus we’ve always known is vicious, deadly, self-absorbed, manipulative and Machiavellian. That side of him is fascinating and fun, but the other side of Klaus is the son who did not feel loved, who was abused by both of his parents. He’s got a lot of psychological damage, and Cami is someone who provides him with a tiny bit of peace and acceptance. As a psychologist, she treats him with empathy and a desire to fix what is broken. Klaus might have mistaken that for romance — or maybe he didn’t mistake it. Maybe there is some interest there.

TVLINE | While we’re talking about complicated relationships, Hayley and Jackson’s fight was a real bummer. Should we brace ourselves for a werewolf divorce ritual?
It’s an interesting thing. The ritual they participated in was very specific: If they were to break the bonds of their marriage, all of the wolves who benefited from that ritual would return to being cursed. But I don’t think it’s accurate to say that one fight between two married people will lead to divorce. Hayley has an opportunity to voice her opinion about Jackson in this next episode, and she says some smart things about love and commitment and fighting for the people you care about. One of the things this show is about is family — our relationships with our brothers and sisters and children and parents. It’s also about how your commitments to your family sometimes get in the way of people we meet and fall in love with. Hayley might be in a tricky spot where she has to make some tough decisions, which is all part of her journey moving forward.

TVLINE | Since the last time we spoke, news came out that the show is moving to Fridays. Do you have any thoughts on that change?
The thing I’ve noticed is that I get tweets from people — and we get letters in the office — from fans all over the world. Some people are watching the show when it airs in their country, and other people are watching it online a few days after. The thing we say in the writers room is that our goal is to tell the best story we can. It very well may be that someone will watch this show for the first time in a few years on Netflix all at once. The quality of the show is the quality of the show, and that’s all we can control. Personally, I have a little kid, so I’m home on Friday nights. I know there are people looking for something to relax with and enjoy after a tough week at school or at work. So we’re just trying to make the best show we can, no matter when or where it airs.

Originals fans, where do you stand on Klaus’ increasingly complicated love life? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. ZiaS says:

I just want Klaus & Cami to make out.. Im not usually a Klaus fan but the whole “going to war for her” side of him is HAWT.

2. JC says:

Sigh. Jackson and Hayley will never end.

• Pamela says:

I know, these shows just want storylines to keep you watching and leave all the this is what finally happens for real for the final season.

3. Lily M. says:

All these encrypted messages, but most have already been un-encrypted on social media like:

Jackson is going to die.
    Camille dark secret? She hurt a guy (before Nola) and she liked.
    The midseason cliffhanger isn’t going to be about Mikaelson, is more something like Elena 3×22 but less epic.
    Camille is going to be a vampire, but more like Vicky (yes, they will change Camille)
    And maybe Finn could come back (the real Finn)

4. Val M. says:

Klaus mistook cami’s affection as romance???? lol but Camille’s solemn purpose is to be a love interest for Klaus, she stayed in NOLA just for him, she always makes googly eyes at him and justifies him everything.

• MJo says:

LOL. And there’s also that time she tried to kiss him. Pretty sure that’s hard to ‘mistake.’ I know Klaus is kind of behind the ball since moving to NOLA but come on.

I’m totally on TeamAurora here. She’s nuts but at least she’s entertaining and takes a little initiative.

• Valerie Mendez says:

I wasn’t a fan of the Klaus and Cami but it would be interesting to see them hit the sheets. Because the cw Klaus and Caroline won’t be happening if you watch The Vampire Diaries Season 7.

5. Jess says:

I feel like the Hayley/Jackson thing is winding down. Where else could it go? I cannot stand Cami, so trying to stay interested in her story is an absolute chore. Making her randomly dark isn’t going to erase two and a half seasons of blandness, so I’m not getting my hopes up there.

6. zack harry says:

Hayley/Jackson should just end.but they dont have to divorce to protect the park from the curse.Hayley/Elijah perfect match.

7. Belle says:

Can’t wait for tonight’s episode. Looking forward to the cami and aurora scenes, Klaus going full hybrid.This is also meant to be a big Marcel episode so can’t wait.

8. Sarah says:

Narducci is so articulate, I love it.
    Can’t wait for Klaus and Cami scenes.
    Love the thought of Hayley possibly giving Tristian a wolf bite per the trailer.
    Lot’s more Marcel!!!!
    Elijah torturing!!!

9. AdM says:

They better not kill Jackson

10. Kash says:

Looking forward to tonight’s show. I am still holding hope for Hayley & Elijah. I would’ve done a Snoopy Dance if Hayley’s argument w/ Jack – last eppy – was the final nail in their annoying coffin. but alas, TPTB are not that kind. #HayleyBelongsWithElijah

11. Sharon says:

Cami is so boring, have no interest in what happens to her….just wat her to disappear.

And as far as her and Klaus…blech.

• Kami says:

I agree with Cami being boring. I actually wish that she would die & not die and come back, just die. She’s horrible and I like Klaus just the way he is. I don’t want him to go soft like Damon did when he got with Elena. We already have Stefan. We’re good on nice vampires. Let the Cami thing go. The only blonde I ever wanted with Klaus is Caroline and they ruined that. STILL. SO. UPSETTING. Okay, rant over.

12. Katie says:

For me, this has been the only show I’ve ever watched where I’m not overly bothered with a specific plot line and if I find it even slightly annoying, I’m more than happy to just put it to the side in order to enjoy each episode. It probably helps that I’m not much of a shipper-weird, I know! This show DOES revolve around the Original vampires or in Klaus’ case, hybrid, the most messed up supernatural family I think I’ve ever seen in television. So, any kind of relationship-be it romantic, familial, friendly, etc.-on this show is screwy, at best, if not downright dangerous. As for Micheal Narducci’s statements: he’s trying to mess with us. I try to take it with a grain of salt. As for Elijah/Hayley shippers: They did get together, albeit briefly, in Season 2, when they had sex after she told E. that she was marrying Jackson. Better than nothing gang! ;)

13. Marie says:

I hope his crazy ex makes Klaus get his head out of his ass and get something happening with Cami. It’s long overdue.
    I don’t care about Hayley’s love life. Jackson is nice enough but everybody knows he’s filling in time until she gets back with Elijah.

14. MJo says:

I loathe Cami so I’ll be FF through her scenes as per usual.

I’m excited for the Marcel stuff! Poor guy is awesome and needs more to do.

15. zac says:

The Originals has one of the best percentage rise in live+7. But it still doesnt reach the 1s. Sad.

16. Phoenix5634 says:

Awesome sow! Favourite show on the CW!

17. Quaid says:

Um, off topic but will we be seeing more of Mr. Casper and Nathaniel?

18. Phoenix5644 says:

Bring back Kol! With the original actor from TVD, that Kol was always the best! Please show runners, use the Kol we all love and miss from TVD!

19. I hope Jackson doesn’t leave. Maybe there is a way that him being Pack leader could be used to spin another side story to the vampire series since they rarely use the werewolf storyline.

20. Phoenix5634 says:

Cepheus is a reference to Greek mythology. Not a good one for Hope if it means what I think. Anyone catch the other 2 names above/ and below Cepheus?

21. Bella says:

Haley & Elijah should get together it would be interesting to see a love triangle. and Cami & Klaus should get together already, clearly Klaus loves her.

22. Ally Oop says:

Hayley will realize how much she loves Jackson only to see him killed by season’s end. That’s my prediction.

23. victor says:

Am I the only one who thinks Klaus has gone soft I mean in season three and two he has been the only one shedding a tear(Flashbacks included ) I prefer Klaus the strong hot tempered guy he is I mean he even called himself the bastard child but anyways aurora who was his first love and was given an unjustified treatment by Klaus and she also admitted to bipolar disorder and right now she is heart broken and devastated on the other side there is Camille who Klaus has opened up to the most and mends his broken parts and Klaus really cares and loves her so I think id prefer Camille to aurora

24. Luvprue1 says:

I hope we do get a werewolf divorce ritual. It seems like Jackson forgot the real reason why Hayley married him. She married him so he can gain a special ability and win back his pack. She did that for him. Now he’s making all kinds of demands, and putting pressure on Hayley to separate Hope from her family. Klaus,Elijah and Rebecca are Hope’s family which makes them Hayley’s family too. Jackson knew that when he married her.

25. Linda says:

I love cami and Klaus together, but I just watched the new episode and I’m heart broke, is camo leaving the show? I hope not, I love her and Klaus really should get some happiness after all his sadness and pain, he deserves a love that is real ( he can still be a bad ass, but a happy bad ass!)

26. Diane Hicks says:

I would like to see the brothers stay loyal to each other for a season. Family first never works. They have plenty of enemies to fight. Let family work. And let Mik KEEP Cami.

27. Ella says:

Klaroline.

28. edyn says:

Klaus deserves some happiness more than anyone else because he is a hybrid, his baby is a hybrid and Haley is a hybrid. It makes it hard not knowing where to fit in. Camille is the only real true person in his life that makes life seem bearable and sees him as person, not as the monster he and others thinks he is. He needs that stability when else fails. It was a Dr/patient relationship, but it evolved when he opened himself to her. If he loses her, he may become the monster again and stay that way.