Jason Thompson Joins Y&R

General Hospital Fave Jason Thompson Joins The Young and the Restless

As seemingly dozens of General Hospital alumni before him have done, Jason Thompson will resurface on rival soap The Young and the Restless.

Thompson, who last month wrapped his run on ABC’s sole surviving sudser as Patrick Drake, will take over the revolving-door role of Billy Abbott on CBS’ long-running serial, EW.com reports. There, he will be reunited with former GH boss Jill Farren Phelps.

Thompson is expected to first air in January 2016, succeeding Burgess Jenkins (who debuted as Billy in June 2014).

The role of Billy Abbott has served as Emmy fodder for two of its previous portrayers: David Tom and, more recently, Billy Miller (who exited the role to… join GH, as a Jason recast). Thompson amassed five Daytime Emmy nods during his GH run.

Will you follow Thompson from Port Charles to Genoa City?

1. Hodan says:

I knew it! Congrats to JT and hopefully YR would utilize him more than GH did.

• Mandie says:

Really? He was extremely utilized on GH…at least, when I was watching the show. Robin showed up at his wedding to Sabrina, then he found out that she was leaving yet again, and then his baby – with Sabrina – died, and then something else happened, etc, etc. I finally had to stop watching the show because it was causing me lots of anxiety and worry about Jason’s mental health [it seemed as if he was crying every single day, if not week]. That can really take a toll on an actor.

• TC says:

I miss Billy Miller. it is hard to see anyone else besides him or even David Tom take on that role so it is great that I am reading so many positive comments about JT. BA as. brunette may be a.little.different, we’ll see!😊

• TC says:

@Mandie, that is really sweet how you worry about him, we all get attached to our characters so it makes it hard, there shouldn’t be any crying cuz BA is angry all the time so JT may end up with a few more wrinkles and hopefully some happiness will come soon!

2. dj says:

Excellent news!!! I’ll miss you as Patrick, but look forward to seeing you as Billy. Victoria is very lucky

3. He’ll also be reunited with Steve Burton from GH!

4. Mr. Tran K says:

Happy for Jason Thompson’s new role on Y&R as the NEW Billy Abbott. Billy Miller was the best Billy Abbott in my opinion now that he’s currently on GH as the NEW Jason Morgan.

5. SJ heck says:

Absolutely
    My GH is a skeleton of the good old days. I think it’s a plan to make it fail- so ABC can fill the spot with another horrible blah blah blah talk show.

• Gail Takes says:

Oh please don’t day that. I’m so very tired of talk shows. If they replace another soap with idle talk. Don’t even want to think about

6. Gail Takes says:

Sure will if this is for real. But they’ll have to be very careful who they get for Patrick. Unless Patrick goes out with Robin

• Jennifer says:

It’s been widely reported that Patrick is not being recast. He is leaving Port Charles with his daughter, most likely to reunite with Robin.

• Billie says:

I hope not. Just because Patrick leaves does not mean Emma needs to go too. She can live with Anna.

• Jennifer says:

I think the writers want to keep the family together. It wouldn’t make sense for Patrick to leave Emma behind. But Emma will be shown in PC visiting her grandmother Anna periodically, so we won’t be left without her entirely. The actress is on so sporadically anyway that we probably won’t notice that she’s supposed to be living somewhere else.

• Sarah says:

Robin is not staying. Kimberly only comes back for short stints. Rumor is she & Patrick leave b/c of the danger due to Jerry Jacks & most likely Emma will stay with Anna

7. Gail Takes says:

Adam and the new Billy wow can’t wait to see this.

8. Sheila says:

Man, I was hoping he’d get a primetime gig.

9. Jimmy says:

The continuing “casting wars” between GH and Y&R requires a scorecard. It’s been reduced to “X is leaving Y&R…who will they play on GH?” and (in this case) vice versa. But y’know, as long as Jill Farren Phelps doesn’t end up back at GH, they can play switcheroo all they want.

10. StephonJS says:

ANOTHER BILLY?!. I want Billy Miller back

11. Amanda says:

This is going to be really interesting as Jason doesn’t fit the typical blonde, blue eyed Abbot look, but he does resemble the actor who played Billy’s older brother Phillip so this version looks more like Jill. Billy Miller was my favorite Billy too and I was getting used to Brugess’ version, but looking forward to how Jason is.

12. E. LOWE says:

Y & R IS MY DAILY PROGRAM. I WONDERED WHY BILLY MILLER LEFT. NOW I WONDER WHY BURGESS JENKINS IS LEAVING..I THOUGHT BILLY MILLER WAS A FAVORITE AND IT TOOK SOME TIME GETTING USED HIS NOT BEING ON , THEN I FOUND HIM. HAHA WAS HOPING HE WOULD RETURN TO Y & R IF SOMEONE LEFT. WHERE IS BURGES JENKINS GOING TO??? WE ALL GET USED TO THE NEW PEOPLE IN A SHORT TIME BUT THERE ARE JUST ONE OR TWO WHO ARE OUR FAVORITES……

• J says:

According to press, his family lives on the east coast & it just became too much

• APG says:

Burgess lives in NY and didn’t like missing out on family time. He also wants to be behind the.camera. For those who are worried about Blondel hair Billy there is this thing called hair day or highlights.

13. Billie says:

I do not watch Y&R. I do watch GH and I am loving Billy Miller as Jason. It was not right away, it took awhile. But read he is leaving for awhile the first of the year. Looking for Prime Time gig.

14. Clandestine Green says:

I think he saw the writing on the wall at GH. Not only is the show in a creative pit, the ratings are too and ABC will likely cancel The View and GH in the next year and introduce the 2 hour Good Morning America spin off.

I hate to see him go but I don’t blame him…the show is a complete mess and has been for a couple of years.

15. Shannon says:

Burgess Jenkins was perfect for the changed Billy, as if he was casted because he could play that obnoxious, bitter role well (not a dig at the actor–he’s just playing the part). I hope this casting brings back the Billy we all used to love, but that can only happen if the writing for his character changes as well.

16. big cheddar says:

Well, i think he saw the writing on the wall as well. Once Sam is reunited with Jason, there are basically no other leading ladies available to keep his character on the front burner, unless they decided to pair him up with Liz.

17. S McMary says:

I had heard the rumors that he was going to be Billy Abbott but I admit I’m a little disappointed. He’s more than shown himself to be a top notch actor. I was hoping he would branch out into primetime. Not to criticize daytime tv at all but I think he can do better.

18. Ell says:

I’m happy to see him join YR. I just wish he’d not be wasted on the tired old daddy-always-comes-first Victoria story anymore. I’d like to see Billy go in a new direction.

19. Susan says:

I am sick of these actors that have no loyalty to the show that made them popular! I for one will not be watching Young And Restless. When Steve Burton left GH, I was done with him. Hoping they will at some point recast DR DRAKE.

• Clandestine Green says:

These are people and acting is their job. Do you think they should stay with one show forever to make you happy? Your post is so childish. I am sure the decision was difficult for him and yet he has been professional and made no negative comments about the show or the treatment of his character. He has been a class act and I wish him the best.

• Susan says:

You have the right to feel the way you do as I do! I believe in loyalty. I do not watch YR, I have never watched Soap operas on CBS. His moving to this show will not make me watch. I do not wish him I’ll harm, I just will not follow him.

20. Mary says:

Wish him the best loved him as Patrick on GH, but changing soaps won’t get me to watch the Y&R. Good luck.

21. Kate Snave says:

I miss Billie Miller too. None of the others are old enough and frankly are not really manly enough or believable. The entire story line has gone down the tubes.

22. Helena says:

Jason Thompson is so talented that he can play any role. I believe he will be a fantastic Billy Abbott. He was a one and only Dr. Drake! But I can’t wait to see him on Y&R, especially with Victor ,Jack, Adam, Victoria, Ashley and many more……..What a mix! Perfect recipie for all these talented actors/actresses to be on screen together.Awesome!They are so lucky to have Jason and I am very happy for him.

• Tina Perez says:

I will miss Burgess as Billy Abbott, but I too am excited to see what Jason Thompson will bring to the table…I wish they would show Jill more often! !!!…of course I miss Billy Miller on Y&R ,but I watch GH also…So c’mon down Jason Thompson You Are The Next New Billy Abbott. ..We Welcome You..!!

• Susan says:

I really think he should return to Canada and work there !!!!!! I met him onetime and he was Like a diva! That was a few years ago, maybe he has changed for the better.

23. Deb Genslak says:

I already watch Y & R . Starting when Steve Burtonsville joined the cast. I watch wveryday. I love the show along with GH.

24. Linda says:

He is a terrific actor. He will be fabulous as Billy Abbott. Look forward to him expanding his horizions. Congrats to Jason

25. Denise thomson says:

I watch both soaps

26. Loved him on GH hate to see him go but I started watching Y&R when Jason from GH joined… how will they get rid of current Billy? I thought when he was beat up and hit by the car his face would end up damaged but it wasn’t….

27. Susan says:

No, I will not follow him there, I will stay watching GH, and prey they recast him, so that Emma, who is leaving, can come back. I am very upset he is going to our rival soap opera

28. Lori says:

I already watch Y & R so see how he does

29. susan says:

No I will not start watching Y&R just because Jason Thompson is joining the cast. I did not start watching it when Steve Burton joined either. I have never been a fan of Y&R, just because people jump ship from other shows, does not mean I will follow them. I think Jill Farren Phelps is the recruiter and these actors worked with/ for her on GH. I am not fond on constant recasts. LOL

30. Diane says:

Yeah! So excited Jason Thompson is going on YR. I watch that too. I’ll miss Emma.

31. Shannon says:

I never watched Young and the Restless until Steve Burton was picked up. Now I have two reasons to continue watching. Jason Thompson is awsome and they are both easy on the eyes!

32. Karen says:

Absolutely, he’s gorgeous. Geneoa City woman will be tripping all over him!

33. SJJ says:

absolutely NOT!! I felt that Steve Burton betrayed all the GH fans by going to YR now only to be followed by another traitor!! I can only hope the darling and talented Emma Rae Selzer will return somehow, someway.

34. Kelly says:

I’m sick of them switching Billy. The first one was the best. I do not like this one!

35. Veronica Langridge says:

Absobloominlutely. He is gorgeous why would you not follow him?

• Linda says:

He is a wonderful actor. Why not. The young and the. Restless. It is a great soap. Time someone really goes up against. Victor besides. Jack. Jason is the one to give him a good enough for his money