Samurai Jack Returning in 2016 on Adult Swim— Watch First Teaser

Say it with me now: Jack. Is. Back.

No, not that Jack. I’m talking about Samurai Jack, the soft-spoken warrior who battled the shape-shifting Master of Darkness known as Aku from 2001 to 2004.

Cartoon Network on Wednesday announced that the series will return with brand-new episodes in 2016, only this time, it’ll be a Toonami affair. (Toonami, in case you’re tragically unaware, is Cartoon Network/Adult Swim’s action programming block largely devoted to Japanese animation, though a few American properties have been known to sneak in over the years.)

Few details about the series’ return are available at this time — aside from the confirmed involvement of series creator Genndy Tartakovsky — but the announcement did come with a shiny teaser video, which you can enjoy above.

Once you’ve hit PLAY on the teaser, drop a comment with your thoughts below: Will you re-join Jack on his new journey?

1. Ian says:

OH MY GOD! I am so excited! I love Samurai Jack. This is a dream. Why not just revive all of Tartakovsky’s old shows. And please tell me Phil Lamar will be back to voice Jack.

2. Deion says:

2 questions. 1. Will this be a continuation or a reboot? There was plenty more story to tell. 2. Will they hurt me and change the theme song?

• David4 says:

The creator came out and said that he had wanted to conclude the story in a movie, but he guesses it’s meant for TV. So no reboot by the sounds of it.

3. AT says:

MAKO IS DEAD. How are they going to handle that??? That is not a voice you can replace, as they proved in Avatar.

4. Sure gonna miss Mako, though. :>(

5. paulette says:

I am so excited that this series is being rebooted. Let the world be exposed to the minimalist message of Jack. And hopefully the the animation will stay true to the original. A masterclass in creativity.

6. AngelWasHere says:

Yesssss this show was amazing! I can’t wait! Bring back my afternoon Toonami with anime and Samurai Jack. I like Adult Swim, but I miss anime being shown on tv in the afternoon.

7. Da Realness says:

Sony should let Genndy make this an animated film after he delivered serious bank on those meh Hotel Transylvanias movies. Shame on them.

Kudos to CN for doing this right at least.

• Patrick says:

I’m not so sure. The story works very well in short form. he did a few hour long eps that were pretty good, but there was a lot of extra action. And even at an hour long, that was just 46ish minutes of actual story.
      I’d like to see more short form. I’m sure CN wants to get to 100 eps. There is a big market for violent, adult themed shows. Syndication would be very lucrative for everyone.
      I hope this leads to another season for Symbionic Titan, another of his great shows.

8. LaTele C. Thompson says:

Can’t wait for”Jack”

9. LaTele C. Thompson says:

I hope not, the theme was Tight.

10. Steve F. says:

ABOUT TIME! Setting the DVR for this one! (And hope that whoever’s cast as Aku does the late Mako justice.)

11. Emor says:

I wonder if it will just be an animated version of the graphic novel continuation, cause they were awesome!! (Even those did not have a final/conclusion either.) But I’ll take whatever i can get. Go Jack, Jump good!!

12. Preacher Book says:

YES !!!! There is a God !!

13. Suzy says:

OH MY GOD! This just made up for the horrible day I just had!😄This is one of my all time favorite Cartoon Network shows. Cannot wait! I think this will totally fit in to the Toonami lineup as well. 😁😁😁 Can’t stop smiling.

14. I can’t wait for Samurai Jack to come back i want new stories, new adventures and a conclusion of the show but it won’t be the same without Mako I hope the actor they get does a good job or at least sounds similar to him.

15. Gregg says:

George Takei should voice Aku

16. dom noone says:

This is great news . It was so frustrating when the show was axed after season 4 . Now to seek the way back !!!

17. Monica says:

There is absolutely no other 47 year year old mother of 1 living in Brooklyn who is happier than me that JACK IS BACK!!!
    I have the entire series and will treat myself to a serious binge Watchung marathon just before the new episodes start.

18. blargh says:

Yes all hail genndy and jack

19. Michael Martin says:

I CAN’T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. scarecrow says:

yes!!! i am so exited ,i greww up with jack and never saw its end i wil try my best not to mis even am episode

21. Terminators says:

I love samurai jack . i hope it will be the same.

22. Rose says:

Can’t wait for the new episodes