The Voice Top 10 Recap: Mad Fibs

Hey, Voice fans, it’s time to put some words in our coaches’ mouths, Mad Libs-style: “I don’t want to sound [adjective] but [contestant name] that was honestly the [adjective] [noun] you’ve delivered all season. I really hope the people at home [verb] after what you just did.”

Do your worst! Make Adam declare that Braiden Sunshine delivered to us a mouth-watering PBJ. Have Gwen huff that Jordan Smith coughed up the gnarliest of hairballs. You can even prompt Pharrell to bash my runaway favorite Jeffery Austin’s next-level performance (that somehow got relegated to the voting wasteland of the week’s kickoff performance slot) (bearing in mind I’ll fly into a fit of #HulkSmash if he winds up in the Bottom 2).

The Voice - Season 9Whatever the result of this exercise, at least it’ll break up the utter monotony of hearing the Season 9 coaches tell bald-faced lie after bald-faced lie, falling into the sickening “everyone gets a gold star!” quagmire that ultimately punishes over-achievers by pretending they’re no better than those who are dragging down the overall GPA of the Season 9 class.

I know, I know… I’ve been begging for more forthright critique from every Voice coach (except maybe Xtina) since Season 1, but tonight Blake, Adam, Pharrell and Gwen took their “50 shades of bland praise” to maddening heights. Why not spend their camera time reading their grocery lists or weighing in on the accuracy of tabloid rumors or shamelessly promoting current iTunes releases from their former contestants? Hmph!

But enough kvetching from your humble recapper: Let’s cut to my letter grades for this week’s performances:

The Voice - Season 9Team Gwen: Jeffery Austin, “Jealous” — Grade: A | For once, I’m not going to wax poetic about Jeffery’s pitch perfection, the rumblingly gorgeous huskiness in his lower register or the ache that infuses his glory notes. This week, I’ll just praise the way he inhabits a lyric, makes us believe beyond the shadow of a doubt that he yearns so deeply for a lost love that he truly does feel envious of the wind that rustles through his clothes. Blake’s side not that he hadn’t been as wrapped up in a performance all season as he was in Jeffery’s “Jealous” will hopefully be enough to counterbalance the dreaded kickoff position – because a Top 4 without the season’s best vocalist would be a kind of Kimberly Nichole-in-sixth-place injustice that simply can’t repeat itself.

The Voice - Season 9Team Blake: Emily Ann Roberts, “She’s Got You” — Grade: B | Emily struggled a little in the opening third of her performance, her nerves percolating through her “sunshine bearing down on a wheat field” tone and the overwrought string section occasionally threatening to overpower her. And while the Teenager Most Likely To Displace Cassidee Pope, RaeLynn and Danielle Bradbery on the Country Charts didn’t benefit from choosing the most repetitive jam in the Patsy Cline songbook, there were enough soaring moments in the final 45 seconds to guarantee her safe passage into the Top 9.

The Voice - Season 9Team Gwen: Braiden Sunshine, “Radioactive” — Grade: D | Blerg. Urgh. Argh. Didn’t Gwen realize during Braiden’s “Renegade” two weeks ago that we’d rather watch him whip/nae nae than ever again bear witness to the gawky teenager attempting to play the role of rock star? Bad enough that the verse was flatter than a penny left for two weeks on an Amtrak rail, but Braiden’s “Golly, mom, I’m on TV!” demeanor flew in direct opposition to the post-apocalyptic vibe of the lyrics. Honestly, Blake covering “Uptown Funk” would’ve been less incongruous.

The Voice - Season 9Team Adam: Shelby Brown, “Go Rest High on That Mountain” — Grade: C+ | I’ve been rooting for Shelby right from the first gorgeous glory note she hit during her Blind Audition performance of “Stars.” And while I’ll admit I’ve made more than a few excuses with her subsequent struggle to control her pitch during non-belty moments and to stay in time with the mighty Voice band, this was the week where I made peace with the fact that the Alabama teen is probably still two or three years away from being ready for the big show. I don’t know how it’s possible to be ahead of the band and still come across as lethargic, but that’s exactly how I’d describe Shelby’s first visit to the intersection of religious and country. There’s still a sense she’s skimming over her lyrics — like she’s back in an Alabama bowling alley on karaoke night — rather than digging deeper into the lyrics and elevating the music in the process.

The Voice - Season 9Team Gwen: Korin Bukowski, “Same Old Love” — Grade: B- | Slow clap for Korin – who, at least from a technical standpoint, gave a vastly improved vocal compared to her prior live performances. There were no cringe-inducing ad-libs or tentative lower-register hiccups, and yet it has to be asked: Why the heck was the fabulous alt-rock-nerd-chick doing tackling Selena Gomez’s collapsing soufflé of a current radio hit? Korin’s stiff body language telegraphed her inability to personalize a ditty with all the nuance of a Real Housewives reunion special.

The Voice - Season 9Team Adam: Amy Vachal, “Bye Bye Bye” — Grade: C+ | Adam was absolutely right when he said he and Amy have mastered “the ability to maximize creative capacity” in terms of tweaking cover-song arrangements to fit her gauzy tone. Trouble is, when you removed the intriguing changes in tempo and instrumentation to Amy’s N’Sync cover, you were left with an almost monotone verse — and a lyrical reading that tended more toward vacant than haunting or bitter or any of the other intentions discussed in Amy’s pre-performance package. Throw in a second verse peppered with wonky notes, and I’m wondering if the iTunes sensation might be flirting with naked emperor territory.

The Voice - Season 9Team Adam: Jordan Smith, “Hallelujah” — Grade: B | As per usual, Jordan effortlessly nailed every note of his song — with an admirable commitment to restraint that’s not always utilized by reality-show competitors tackling Leonard Cohen’s done-to-death anthem. And yet despite all the A+ production values — the formation of spotlights, the rolling fog, the full Gospel chorus on backup, there wasn’t any real sense of romantic or sexual yearning in Jordan’s delivery. Granted, the lyrics of “Hallelujah” are certainly open to interpretation — aka inscrutable — but they’re not merely pretty or safe or void of any danger… all adjectives that describe Jordan’s peculiar approach to the tune.

The Voice - Season 9Team Blake: Zach Seabaugh, “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” — Grade: B+ | Zach is certainly not the best singer in Season 9 — in fact, he’s almost definitely in the bottom half of the remaining pack. But whether or not you’re purchasing his Queen cover on iTunes, there’s no denying he sold the maniacal lustiness associated with a guy getting hot and cold fever, then being left in a cool, cool sweat. Honestly, all the vocal horsepower in all the world doesn’t mean a damn thing if there’s not actual intent behind it. So while some of Zach’s notes got swallowed whole like piranhas gobbling up guppys, Blake probably got a point that the kid is a genuine threat to make the finale.

The Voice - Season 9Team Pharrell: Madi Davis, “Girls Just Want to Have Fun” — Grade: B+ | I’d love to get an isolated feed of Madi’s mic — without the very fussy sax and drums and strings that I think may have affected my enjoyment of her borderline mournful “Girls Just Want to Have Fun.” Because while I’m not especially eager for a repeat listen, there’s no arguing against her elegant tone and phrasing, or the surprising lilts and belts she brings to a melody. If she can continue to showcase those assets — and assert her creativity in the rehearsal room — Madi might be proof positive for the besieged Team Pharrell that it only takes one contestant to get you to the finals.

The Voice - Season 9Team Blake: Barrett Baber, “I’d Just Love to Lay You Down” — Grade: A | Normally, Barrett comes on like melted cheese pouring down over an entree at Chili’s — wayyyyy too thick and goopy and overbearing. But the country crooner brought a grown sexiness to the stage this week that proved a refreshing changeup from the often chaste Voice proceedings. The goofy grin that crossed his face on “the little things that turn me on,” the crack of emotion that accompanied the final verse about how his attraction for his wife will live on after they’re old and gray, these are the types of professional-level moments that make ka-ching sounds go off in the minds of label execs. Bonus points for some bold, on-point riffs on the final chorus… ones that may have finally put him ahead of Zach in the pecking order for the seemingly unstoppable Team Blake.

Will Be Bottom 2: Korin, Braiden (Korin going home)
Should Be Bottom 2: Shelby, Braiden (Braiden going home)

What did you think of the Top 10? Who were your faves? Who’s in trouble? Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments!

1. rebecca says:

Jeffrey, Jordan & Madi are my favorites. Amy is just blah for me.

• davmon says:

I love those three, but I also love Amy. I like how she and Madi do interesting different arrangements to cover songs. Jeffery turned in his usual and was stellar. Jordan was his best since the Blinds, I thought. As a huge Leonard Cohen fan, I am persnickety about covers of his songs, especially this one which is overdone. But he did well and finally showed some vocal nuance….The rest were so-so, except Braiden was radioactive and Zach showed us a crazy little thing that was all dance and no vocals.

• Greta says:

Slezak, you give Jordan Smith a B and Zach Seabaugh a B+ ??
        You are officially smoking crack now.
        Yes, “Hallelujah” has been covered many times, and yes we get it that Jordan isn’t sexy. But to deny the chill-inducing power of his voice is just plain ridiculous. I get that you like to be a contrarian and root for the underdogs and all that, but COME ON.
        And look at iTunes… Jordan is sitting at No. 2, blocked only by Adele. I know you like to think that the masses are all uneducated idiots, gorging themselves at home on Hot Pockets… but that just isn’t the case. Jordan is one of the best vocalists to have ever graced the stage of “The Voice”, or any other singing competition for that matter. The show is called “The Voice”, not “The Look.”

• Roman says:

I don’t think he is talking about the look. I love Jordan, but he has been doing the same thing over and over again. Yeah, it’s the voice, but you also have to perform and connect to the lyrics. I don’t think Jordan’s look factored in at all. If he wants to root for someone a little more diverse like Jeffrey or Madi, I don’t see a problem. Jordan really should do a different kind of song, his songs are getting kind of boring

• Jordan may have been doing similar songs in the course of his journey on the show.. first he started with a “Diva Vibe”, singing from Sia to Beyonce, and now he’s in the “Gospel vibe”, but u can’t deny that he’s the best vocalist this season and I really connect with the lyrics when he’s singing (so I don’t get when people say that he doesn’t put emotion on the songs). I think Adam is trying to give songs that aren’t very challenging for him right now because he already did it on the battles, knockouts and live playoffs and if he did something that wasn’t as great as what he did before, people wouldn’t vote for him anymore (like what happened to Christina Grimmie on S6) and since he has no risk on going out of the show in this first three weeks, he’s keeping the big stuff for when it really matter. It’s just strategy. Adam already did it with Tessanne Chin on Season 5.
            About doing the same thing over and over again, watch (or listen) a playlist with all the performances from Jeffery. You’ll realize that he does the same thing too. And he’s not less better for that. It’s just a matter of who you like the most and who you like to implicate the most.
            What happens with all this “hate” for Jordan is just because since the beginning he’s been treated like “the winner” for the public and the producers of the show, and that annoys some people, who are even saying “this is the worst season ever”. And that’s not true.

• sally says:

i dont like Jordan or Madi

• Cathy says:

I don’t think I’ve ever agreed more with Michael – his grades and reasoning for Jordan and Zach are spot on.

While Jordan sang “Hallelujah” beautifully, I feel there was something missing from a performance perspective. There was a small void in emotion and feeling.

Zach on the other hand was right on the money with his performance. His vocals were solid and he lived and SOLD that song.

Comparing Jordan’s and Jeffery’s performances – Jeffery also sang beautifully, but he sold his song through emotion and feeling. Jeffery’s performance gave me chills.

• Sharon Thacker says:

Jeffery was good last night but does do many of the same type of songs. Zach’s singing is ok but he acts like a clown. You don’t try to act like a clown when you’re singing a song like Jordan did.

• LIzzie says:

I love Jordan’s voice, but I was bored during his performance. Hallelujah has been done too many times on these singing shows, and Matthew Schuler’s was better for emotion, even though this had Jordan’s voice in it. I think Jordan wants to go home, that the entire process is wearing on him.

• RedInDenver says:

I think Michael wants Jeffrey to win so badly that he seems to need to knock Jordan, who, if he has even half a brain, he sees as Jeffrey’s main roadblock to a win.

• Oddly, his name is spelled Jeffery, which messes me up since I spelled that name that way as a kid…but I agree that Jordan is his #1 roadblock. However, since Jordan has been the frontrunner since day 1, I have to wonder if The Voice is like American Idol in the sense that they love a comeback story-they may turn against Jordan if he doesn’t step it up (which simply means stop playing it safe) and if Jeffery, who only had 1 chair turn for him, keeps turning it up.

• Ralphthegoat says:

U said it perfectly

• Jordan can be shrill in his upper-register, is over-doing it with the power-ballad schtick and doesn’t always convey the actual intent and emotion of the song. His voice is pure and beautiful but he isn’t one of my favorites…which has absolutely nothing to do with his looks or physique. No one would argue that Zach could hold a candle to Jordan in terms of quality of voice, range and power but part of a performance involves actually performing, and Jordan has a ways to go in that department.

• John Himmelein says:

Agree with you Greta. I like your description of Jordan and the “chill-inducing power of his voice.” Zach has good looks going for him, but his singing is so so and he needs to do a lot of work to be considered a dancer.

• Timmah says:

I find Amy interesting, and Madi very blah.

• Tyler says:

Agreed. And tonight was proof of that. I found Madi’s performance of Girl’s to be very blah. Monotone. Lifeless. Which is interesting because that song should be anything but lifeless.

• Jenna says:

Oh you see I feel the opposite, I think Madi is magical and Amy is a mediocre-to-untalented generic NY lounge singer who’s relying on gimmicks to get the ITunes votes–it’s a good strategy don’t get me wrong, and I think it’s the only thing that’s saving her, but I know a million people who can sing a blah cover of faux-nostalgia song that only involves three notes, because that’s all she can really hit

• CMC says:

I agree Jenna. Amy doesn’t nearly have the vocal range that Madi does, nor am I convinced that her arrangements originated from her, rather Adam. Madi, on the other hand, can not only sing the heck out of her song, but she owns the arrangements, and at such a young age, that’s pretty impressive. There’s nothing boring about her. Amy reminds me of just another lounge singer in a jazz bar.

• Shame on you for trashing the only non-white singer left! If Amy goes, it will leave an all white top eight. That would be a travesty – it’s 2015.

• Angie_Overrated says:

That ship has sailed this year. And in all fairness, this hasn’t been the strongest season for the non-white contestants. Last season, however… still can’t think of what happened without getting angry.
        I liked Celeste, Darius, and Nadja. A lot actually, but I never saw any of those three getting deep into the competition.

• LIzzie says:

No one but no one should be voting for a contestant based on their race. There are several white singers left that I wish I could vote against, but not because they are white, rather because they bore me to tears. This isn’t a competition for best race.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Your point is a fair one, but you have to admit the last several seasons have not been particularly fair to the non-white contestants. Yes, yes, I know, Tessanne Chin, Javier Colon and the guy who won season 2 whose name is escaping me… but looking at the voting patters the last several seasons, you’d have to be blind not to see the racial bias with the results. Look at that first Instant Save matchup with Mark and Korin where Mark wiped the floor with her and still lost 55-45. I’m with you; vote for the best regardless of race, but there’s some pretty strong evidence suggesting that there are people voting (or not voting) based on race.

• AngieShutUp says:

I’m a person of color. I also voted for Korin that time. Just saying.

ok

• will says:

Ha! Mark did not wipe the floor with Korin during their instant save. He sure did give a good performance but the vocals weren’t where the performance was, which was Mark’s problem in the first place. Korin beat him if we’re talking about the voice, which I certainly am with this show even if the voters aren’t.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Mark was singing in tune. Korin was not. This isn’t debatable. This is a cold, hard fact.

• RedInDenver says:

OMG! I can’t even believe you made that comment.

As Dr. King said, you should be judged not by the color of your skin, but the content of your character.

As in EVERYTHING, your RACE should not be a factor — On The Voice, your VOICE, not your ethnicity, should determine your success on the show.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Yeah, and unfortunately, ethnicity is playing a role in success on the show. Compare 4th, 5th, and 6th place last season to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. 3rd place was especially egregious.

• JK says:

It’s called The Voice; not the color of your skin. I’m all for diversity but this show is about the best singer, race shouldn’t be a factor when judging. If someone said “it will leave an all non-white top eight” one would be called a racist.

• PF says:

Always has to be someone turning things into a race issue.

• JOrdan says:

Who’s voting on skin color? WOW

• JOrdan says:

I see NO evidence at ALL of a racial bias. Amy has 1 tone, 1 tempo, and 1 key. Albeit a pretty voice, but she bores me to tears.

• JoanieBlue says:

@rebecca: Agree with your top three. Love Jeffrey and I’m worried that he’ll be sent packing having gone first. Madi’s performance was amazing. Slezak’s B+ is just WRONG. grade. But he was right about Jordan. I actually liked the performance but I agree that it was missing that extra mysterious thing (I’m thinking of K.D. Lang). Jordan often peters out at the end of his performances. Coaches: SAY SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!!!!

• Dave says:

Don’t think Jeffery will be sent packing but I am scared he won’t make top 4 because of Blake’s country singers. Blake’s fans all vote for his contestants like crazy near the end.
        Jeffery, Amy or Madi could all be at risk for the final four.

• CMC says:

I agree. Madi’s “B+” is a travesty. She was fantastic last night-the only song I downloaded

2. Andres says:

Jeffery is amazing like always. Makes me want to make a twitter just in case he is in the bottom 2. Barret however was my favorite of the night. I’m seriously thinking it’s Korin and braiden in the bottom with braiden going home. You cannot sing the PTX version of radioactive with a voice that keeps dissappearing.

• OhMy says:

Jeffery really, really needs better songs. He’s had one bad song choice after another.

• Andres says:

I disagree. I feel like Jeffery just needs to shake it up a little bit. Kind of like Korin but only better

• David says:

Jeffrey has a pretty good voice, but he is very static on stage. It’s more fun watching Zach!

• I would much rater see Jeffrey succeed than I would Zach. I’ll take a “static” performer with a great voice over a more dynamic performer with mediocre chops any day of the week. It is much more feasible for Jeffrey to improve his performance to the level of Zach than it would be for Zach to improve his voice to the level of Jeffrey.

• PSCali says:

I really like Korin as a redhead. When she bleached her hair a couple weeks back, I remember thinking that I wish she had dyed it red. And she finally did! The red color really suits her more than the blonde.

• LIzzie says:

Her own hair color and style suited her the best – this desire for Gwen to focus on the contestant’s appearance and stage something – I think she’s going for stage presence, but it’s not helpful to the people she keeps ruining on her team – is just stupid. Korin and Braiden for the bottom 2. Weirdly at risk in this or the next round: Amy, Madi, and maybe Jeffrey or unbelievably, Jordan. There are two weird things that go on towards the end of the competition:

1) People show up out of the woodwork who haven’t watched any previous performances, and they vote solely on the performances of the night. This skews things differently than the earliest votes of the live performances, watched by a smaller set of voters.

2) As each contestant leaves the show, their votes go somewhere. A small percentage aren’t placed at all as their fans stop voting. The rest of the votes get split across the remaining singers, sometimes in a block, other times in varied amounts, and they can propel a singer who previously didn’t have as big a voting group.

The other thing I super-hate is this stupid East Coast Twitter save – I’d rather the coaches had to pony up and choose who stays out of the bottom 2, or just let the lowest vote-getter go home, respect the vote.

• Tyler says:

Agreed. Jeffery needs better song choices. Can you imagine going to his concert and hearing 2 hours of songs like these?!

• Hmm. I like his song choices, though I think they are trending toward being too similar.

• davmon says:

Song choice or sameness?…there is something…He has such lovely vocal textures; I think he’s great. But I do find my interest trailing off at some point, then remembering to be impressed. Still, he has been the best of the bunch by delivering every time! The sheer consistency of quality.

• Temperance says:

Jeffery has been spectacular every single week. Sorry, the songs have been amazing for his voice.

• Allie says:

Love Jeffrey but all his songs are the same. Give the guy something happy for goodness sake. I didn’t love this performance and hope he makes it thru. I would have given it a B.

3. Christian Ct says:

I Just wanna say that Korin gave her best performance since the lives have started with Same Old Love?

• will says:

I’m really glad she did well tonight because I love her voice but since the lives the songs have just not matched her at all. And while this song wasn’t a perfect match, at least she sang it like she is capable of! I’m hoping for a week of ease from the bottom two for her even though I’m pretty sure she will end up there. Fingers crossed she makes it to next week because I want to see as much of her as possible and I’ve already accepted the fact that she’s got the smallest chance of making it through the monster cut.

• Christian Ct says:

While I know she won’t make it through the monster cut, I truly believe (and hope) that she will be able to make it one more week. I thought this was week was a good week for her. I saw the song choice like two hours before and got worried for her, but it was good. Fingers crossed.

• safado says:

Don’t know the song, haven’t really like Korin that much. But she was just great tonight. Hope she makes it through.

• LIzzie says:

The song itself was super boring – Selena Gomez isn’t exactly a deep thinking singer, and her music is pretty blah. Did they require someone to sing one of Selena’s songs because she helped Gwen out earlier (so ridiculously not good, those two attempting to coach). Everything that made Korin’s voice intriguing at the beginning, Gwen has managed to beat out of her. I don’t actually care to hear about anyone’s personal struggles or difficulties, heartbreaks, etc. – I want to get to know them through their singing, not their veiled or beat-you-over-the-head sob stories. The red hair is better than the mini-me blonde effort, but I find myself turned off by these extensive renovations of the singer’s appearance, particularly when it is discussed as if that actually is the most important thing for a singer, their hair and their outfit. In the stupid or inappropriate clothing for last night, that all red outfit did nothing for Korin and was uncomfortable to look at during her performance – she seems like a girl who isn’t interested in having her figure outline even though covered. And Amy’s skirt/shorts were way too short.

4. Angie_Overrated says:

Madi and Jeffery (mostly) had me sold. Emily and Jordan were ok but Emily was way flat in the first half of the song and Jordan was showboating in a way that I found offputting. Korin was a shocker in that she was very good albeit on one of the worst songs I’ve ever heard in my life. The rest was meh down to downright awful.

• JM says:

Just curious, why the (mostly)?

• Angie_Overrated says:

I do not like Madi’s power notes at all. They’re harsh and very metallic and they don’t match the general brilliance of the rest of her dynamic levels.
        Jeffery needs to stop hanging out at the very top of his register. He has the high notes and they’re awesome, but when he sits up there above the staff, it starts to sound very effort-full.
        Not knocking either of them. I like both of them and am rooting for both of them, but that’s the explanation for the “mostly.”

• Angie, I agree that Jeffery’s high notes are beautiful, but he spends too much time there. He has a nice richness when he sings in his lower register. I am kind of bored with the fad for male vocalists singing in their upper ranges all the time. Who started it, and can we stop it, please? (But I love Jeffery and really, really want him to win.)

• davmon says:

Wow, Angie and Sharon are on fire to;night. I like that your focus is on how the best can get better. You are picking at the ones worthy of the bother…Both comments are astute… And I agree Emily was off (after a comeback last time); she was running behind the music the first stanza, then slammed into the reprise too tightly… Jordan showboating? well, I think he thought he had to show his high range and re-did the arrangement to allow for that; it was ok; besides, he showed some subtlety tonight for the first time.

• JM1 says:

Just watched and wow, I kinda didn’t like Madi’s performance. At all. Her voice just did not work with that song. Sorry, Madi lovers – I like her, too, just saying.

• analythinker says:

^ THAT is what I don’t like about Madi. But the rest of her is lovely.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I believe what she’s doing is pushing the tone unnaturally to get to her loudest dynamics. If she took her foot off the gas pedal, I think it would fix that problem immediately. With a microphone, there’s no need to push too hard.

• I agree that Korin was good tonight and the song grows on you if you hear it a lot like I do in my area lol. I loved Madi and thought everyone except Sunshine and Zack. All had a good night even my least faves like Barett . Don’t know why he rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

5. Scott says:

I’m so over the coaches critiques, I just fast forward now. Why does everyone get a gold star? Ridiculous, do you jobs! Makes me miss Simon Cowell.

• JM says:

Yup. I love my FF button! (Especially when Braiden sings!)

• Leah says:

Thank you. I have to mute after every performance now the tounge baths are nauseating.

• davmon says:

Tongue baths? That is hilarious. Yes, they leave all of the coaches’ pablum; but back in rounds 2 and 3, half of Gwen’s team was edited out… No way those performances were less worthy than constantly revisiting the same 6 or 8 phrases each coach recycles. .

• David says:

Agreed — the coaches all say the same thing “You are the greatest…You know I love you….I am so proud of you..” etc., it gets boring. I would prefer some constructive comments once in a while!

• PF says:

it’s because the coaches don’t want to put any negativity on their singers while there is a vote going on. In the first few shows it doesn’t matter, because the votes are going to get rid of the obviously less talented. Not the case this late in the competition. Any criticism by a coach could hurt their singers chances.

Now if there were a coach panel and a judge panel, maybe they could balance it all out that way. Then everyone gets the support, and everyone has their mistakes pointed out.

6. Andre says:

My overall favorite performance was Madi, which is mind boggling of how she didnt get a higher grade than a B+. She has shown the most growth in the competition in my opinion. She never seems to not impress me every week. With an inspiring performance, the amazing sax add-on and the jazzy but quite sad arrangement are key parts but she soared through the vocals with so much feeling.
    Jeffery puts emotion and such drama in his actions and his voice. The grit and roughness in his voice shone through tonight and the vibrato may have been excessive but overall it was a tremendously beautiful performance.
    The disappointing performance was Shelby. She was making me sleep because it felt soooo rushed and tiring.
    The “ehh” awards go to Jordan, yet again, giving a mediocre performance; Korin, surprisingly, for giving a good performance but then again did not bring forth the quirk she has given in her past performances; and Amy Vachal for again giving us an arrangement we didnt know we didnt want.
    Sadly, I couldnt see these performances yet:
    Braiden Sunshine (I dont really care)
    Emily Ann Roberts
    Most improved go to the hunks. With the energy to the amount of feeling given in each performance,
    They truly wowwed me tonight. Zach may be sticking around for the Finale if he keeps this is up, and so with Barrett.

7. Jessi says:

i don’t understand why you hate braiden so much…just because he’s 15? because “fangirls keep voting for him?” gwen sucks as a coach. period. maybe she needs to stir braiden in a different direction when it comes to the songs that are picked. but you don’t have to be so mean.

8. Kim Moores says:

I am resurfacing from my Season 9 strike to say that I am 100% here for Madi’s cover of that song.
    Yass girl yass.
    Yass to the sax
    Yas to that arrangement
    Y-A-S
    And you gave her a B+? Michael, what? Why? How? Barrett gets an A?
    Nope, nope

• Angie_Overrated says:

Welcome back! And yeah, it’s pretty bleak. I’m hoping the really crappy ones all get cut next week and then we have a repeat of two seasons ago where the finalists were all pretty good.

• Kim Moores says:

Who would you like to be the final 4?
        Right now I’d enjoy a finale with Madi and Jeffery.
        I’d say Amy now..but though I liked this week I’m feeling like she sounds the same every week and that’s because her voice is so tiny and dainty it almost sounds monotonous.
        Jordan being in the finale 4 is a forgone conclusion so….Emily Ann for the 4th slot?

• Angie_Overrated says:

That’s actually exactly the 4 I would pick: Jeffery, Madi, Jordan and Emily Ann. It wo uld be a pretty solid final 4 too with singers from all different genres.
          Amy’s gonna crash and burn. Her schtick is wearing thin quickly. She’s a talented girl, but I don’t see her surviving next week’s mother-of-all cuts.

• Kim Moores says:

She could survive though. Twitter save will probably be in her favor.
            I just hope the people safe next week are Madi and Jeffery at the bare minimum.

• analythinker says:

I’m very afraid that Barrett will get the 4th slot, with Emily Ann in, meaning Jeffery will be gone :/ I’m mad at whoever put Jeffery first. It ALWAYS costs the contestants some good chunks of votes.

• Angie_Overrated says:

There will be rioting in the streets if Barrett outlasts Jeffery. No. We can’t let that happen.

• davmon says:

i’d replace Emily Ann with Amy in my 4; she has been consistently good and very innovative. Emily broke out of pack last week, but slipped back a bit this time….But with Blake’s following, who knows what we will get. I have only Emily from his team in my top 5 or 6….But heck, Slezak scored her 3rd on her own team! I don’t get that! Zach was a bit staged in his Elvis moves and his singing was out-of-breath early and flat throughout. And Barrett, an A? for what? a whiny Twitty tune that borrowed its entire melody from Dylan’s Forever Young–or so it seemed to me.

• I with you with Madi, A+ for sure. She sings like an old soul, maybe not perfect but compared to a few others she soars.

• Andre says:

I would’ve given her an A for this week because unlike Amy’s tiring and repetitive take on pop songs, Madi gave a strong and emotional performance. The arrangement did not make her performance worse to me, it actually made it better. I hope she makes it to the finale. I can’t say she would win because Jordan, the over-hyped contender, is in this competition.

9. Ginger Snap says:

It’s Jeffrey and Jordan for me. Yes, “Hallelujah” should be retired from these shows, but it still was a gorgeous perforrnce.

• Leah says:

I will never understand why Hallelujah is called a gospel song on these shows. Have these idiots never paid attention to the lyrics?? Maybe they think the viewers will just vote for anything if they tell them it’s a gospel song.

• Beverly says:

First of all Leonard Cohan is Jewish and would never write a gospel song. Second they leave out the verse “remember when I moved in you”. It’s about sex, people! Makes me crazy when they call it gospel or inspirational. Somewhere Leonard Cohen is crying.

• Scott says:

Thank you for pointing this out. Freakin misinterpretations.

• rebecca says:

I did not know that. too funny!

• BeReal says:

Please, somewhere Leonard Cohen is happily cashing yet another royalty check from yet another reality singing show. The money he’s made on this song alone between Idol and The Voice will support him and his family very well for generations to come…..

• David says:

So you can’t write a gospel song if your Jewish? Are you kidding me?!? The people who write music don’t necessarily belong to the “religion” of the song they sing….and i think “Gospel” is more inclusive than people suppose….incidentally, Bob Dylan wrote some pretty awesome fire-and-brimstone “christian” albums — and he’s Jewish, too!

• LIzzie says:

Well, no, a Jewish person is not going to write a gospel song. Gospel isn’t what you imagine it to be, Gospel refers to Christianity, the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

• jakis says:

Irving Berlin wrote Easter Parade and White Christmas and he was Jewish. People write all kinds of things that don’t fit their religion because they are writing for someone else to sing it who IS that religion.

• Timmah says:

Yeah, it’s about as much of a gospel song as Fleet Foxes’ White Winter Hymnal.

• Lucie says:

Let me know what he’s doing when you find him. In the mean time, do some research. Jews and Christians use the same (probably with variations) Bible right up until the New Testament. Jesus Christ as the savior is where the division occurs. Jews believe a Holy Savior is coming but that JC is not the right guy. The song has references to Old Testament stories in it. As far as the “moving in you” lyric, it is a common expression to say, “the Holy Ghost moved within me.” Both the Samson and Delilah and the David and Bathsheba stories are about lust, and how that desire makes a good man do horrible and foolish things. Samson allowed Delilah to get close enough to him to cut his hair which destroyed his strength, not thinking that she was working for his enemies. David had Bathsheba’s husband killed so he could save her from shame and marry her himself. So, the song references the destructive power of lust but it is a complicated song that can’t be summed up by, “It’s about sex, people.” I will agree that it is neither a Gospel nor an inspirational song. Gospel is a Christian music genre and the song does not include Christian references. It also isn’t inspirational because it depicts man’s weaknesses and regret.

• It’s a puzzle, I agree. You just have to listen to the lyrics to know it’s hardly gospel. It’s kind of like all the people who played “Every Breath You Take” as their first dance song at weddings.

10. Rick says:

Your love affair with Jeff is causing you to miss Jordan’s amazing show each week. If you can’t be impartial, just stop.

11. kevstar says:

They are really working that old time religion to pander for votes, aren’t they?

• Don says:

Yeah, it seems like its become almost obligatory that we get at least one gospel song a week, most of which haven’t really been performed all that well. But I can hardly blame the coaches and contestants for doing this since it obviously works.

• LIzzie says:

Didn’t work for Shelby – that girl needs to go.

• Don says:

Hard to say that when she made Top 10 on iTunes. Besides, I don’t think she did a worse job than the others who have done religious songs. It was certainly better than Emily Ann a few weeks ago.

• Kbella says:

I think Shelby is a phenomenal singer and I hope she makes it to next week. She probably won’t make the top 4 but I think she’s just as good as any of the other top contenders. Maybe needs to work on her confidence a little.

12. JM says:

3rd time’s the charm?
    Ugh! Another comment disappeared! I said:
    I’m worried about Jeffery going first, so please vote! He and Madi are the only ones I tune in for. Zach, Korin and Barrett were better tonight. Jordan was Jordan, but I hate that song now–I’ve heard it so many times. And please don’t have Gwen sing again–talk about overacting!

13. Kaba says:

It was said over in MJ’s but needs to be reiterated…
    We gonna applaud Jordan and his grimmie level of shrill high notes again?
    God the hyperbole for that guy is obnoxious.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I don’t mind the tonal quality of his high notes. That’s the way his voice sounds, for better or for worse. My biggest issue with Jordan is how the focus is on pretty vocals as opposed to connecting to the lyrics. If I had an opportunity to advise him, I’d be telling him to watch a few of the musical theater greats to see what they do with phrasing, dynamics, physical performance, etc.

14. Trent says:

Jeffery knocked it out of the park once again! I don’t understand why the show isn’t putting their weight behind him! He could be a serious money-maker for them.
    Same as Emily Ann. Although she seemed a bit vacant for the first half of her performance, she really ramped it up and killed it at the end.
    I’ve noticed that since last season, the show has been advocate sacred music. That’s great but it seems that they are equate singing sacred songs to being a ‘moment’ and know it’ll be a winner on iTunes. I do love sacred music, but it’s taking away the message of them when they’re explicitly using them get votes and downloads on iTunes. This is the same as Hallelujah, because they know that even if Jordan does an average job, it’ll go over well.
    This week, Zach, Barrett and Korin had the best performances they’ve had for a while and I’m glad to see them really making a case for themselves.
    I think no matter what Amy does, people will eat it up because it’s just different.
    As for the remaining three – Braiden, Madi and Shelby: Braiden’s arrangement was weird and he kept cutting off his notes prematurely; Madi was great again this week and this was my favourite performance of hers since Songbird; Shelby needs to work on her enunciation (particular in the lower parts of her voice) and seemed to be either behind or ahead of the beat.
    Overall my top 3 were Jeffery, Emily Ann and Barrett and I think Korin and Braiden will be the bottom 2

15. zac says:

I know that Adam explained somewhere why they dont give harsh critiques, I cant even remember his stupid reasoning but this is why this show is turning bland. I dont know who selects the songs for Jeffrey Austin but he always have good selections each week. Amy Vachal is just boring. I think Zach Seabaugh already peaked 3 weeks ago.

16. Angie_Overrated says:

A decent-sized chunk of my soul withered and died when Blake Shelton told Jordan that his rendition of Hallelujah eclipsed Matt Schuler’s. I wasn’t even angry when Blake said it; I would describe the sensation as more demoralizing and sadness-inducing than anything else.

• Trinidad Chavez says:

Honestly I’m just going to forget that moment ever happened because um, I don’t like lies :). *insert angry sad face at Blake*.

• Trent says:

Queen Melinda Doolittle would agree and so do I

• No, Blake, Matt Schuler’s version was much better. As usual, Jeffery won the night. I also understood the excitement about Madi, not for the first time, but more tonight than ever before. Braiden must go home. It’s time. Actually, it’s past time.

• Carfield says:

I agree and still have Matthew’s version in my iTunes library. Matthew really put his heart into the song and the arrangement was also fresh.

• I also have Matthew’s version in my ITunes but won’t buy Jordan’s. Everyone says Braiden is going home but I’ve been disappointed before when a good singer is sent home and a boy pop tart is saved no matter how many notes he cuts off at the end. He was so off key during his package I was surprised he pulled it off as good as he did. Someone is voting for him and it’s not me.

• joy says:

I agree I had chills the entire time Matthew sang it. I don’t think Jordan touched that performance!

• analythinker says:

I don’t think Schuler’s version is THAT good (in fact, I’ve already forgotten about it), but I also don’t think Jordan’s surpassed his.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Are you blashpeming? It sounds like you might be blaspheming. :)
        Kidding of course. I adored Matt, but I recognize that musical tastes aren’t going to be universally shared.

• Don says:

I sort of agree with you. I still think the best version of that song done on this show was by Nicole Nelson way back in Season 3. But I do think Mathew’s version was better than Jordan’s.

• Shut Up and Sing says:

I agree–I own several versions of H but only one from the Voice—Nicole’s and that’s the one I play.

• Ginger Snap says:

So the issue is that this isn’t a contest between Matt and Jordan. Unfortunate that Blake brought that up, but it’s irrelevant to the task at hand. We roll our eyes at the song because it’s been done so many times on these reality singing contests – I’ve seen versions of it done on nearly every reality singing contest in the US and Europe and on shows where English isn’t the primary language. It’s probably been done on shows in Asia and South America, too. It’s always done to create a MOMENT for the singer. All you have to do is check out the UK version of Sim on’s The X Factor to see the cheesiest performances of the song. It’s probably why most of us have become immune to that song.
      _________

That said, we’re not judging Jordan vs. all of these other performances. We’re judging Jordan vs Madi vs Jeffery vs the other performers tonight and what we got was a load of cheesy country artists singing cheesy country songs. Which was pretty boring.
      __________
      So based on tonight’s performances, I give it Jeffery, Jordan, and Madi (with a rather odd and jarring rendition of Girls Just Want To Have Fun). And that should be our final three.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Blake made the comparison between Jordan and Matthew, stating his belief that Jordan outsang Matthew. I am reacting to that statement. Nothing more, nothing less. But it’s also hard to not compare someone to his/her signature song. Any attempt of Dream On will be immediately compared to Amanda Brown, for example.

• Ginger Snap says:

Blake’s comment is irrelevant.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Someone made a statement, in this case it was a coach on the show in question. I reacted to the statement. This is a message board on the show in question, and I’d say statements by the coaches are fair game for discussion, no?

• Eklp says:

I agree. Matthew Schuler’s Hallelujah is one of the best I’ve heard and I have listened to a lot of them.

• Candace says:

I totally agree with you – the Matt Schuler version I bought, and still enjoy listening too. The Jordan Smith version I would never have even considered purchasing. His continual lack of emotional connection is really making me push my fast forward button a lot during his performances.

17. gracelessk says:

I wonder how well Shelby and Madi would be doing if they looked like Emily and Amy.

18. Beverly says:

Why do they keep repeating the overdone songs like Hallelujah? Crazy Little Thing Called Love? Puleeze! Jordan did a good job and is in my top three. They have been Jeffrey, Jordan and Madi and nothing tonight changed that. Please send Braiden, Zach or Korin home tomorrow night. Off to download Jealous. Superb.

19. Tracey says:

Michael you aren’t even trying to tamper down your Jeffery bias. If you didn’t think both Madi and Jordan rivaled/surpassed Jeffery’s performance, I seriously judge all your Voice commentary the rest of this season. Madi’s performance, in particular, was exquisite this week. She deserved your “A” rating.

• Kaba says:

Jordan was a B- at best.
      Just another melodramatic performance at best.

• Tracey, we all have a bias in these things…they’re based on people voting for their favourites, for whatever reasons the performance gets their votes. If Michael has a Jeffery bias, so do a lot of others, including me. Maybe it’s just because we think he’s really good.

• Tracey says:

Sharon, the difference is you can have your bias without informing thousands. Michael has a job in media, and I know it’s not The Washington Post, but I would hope TV Line could recap a show with 10 contestants left without declaring a clear winner.

• LIzzie says:

Jeffrey sang better and more completely than Jordan or Madi, because he included the lyrics in his performance, not just some notes strung together. Jordan is Jordan, but last night was not his best at all.

20. analythinker says:

Still, the fact that Jeffrey opened the show and Barrett/Zach pretty much closed it will mean Jeffrey’s losing votes…. *sighs*

• Scott says:

No worries though, Jeffery isn’t going Anywhere tomorrow, he will be fine, and next week he will probably have a later slot for sure, and next week it really counts cuz of the bloodbath.

• kevstar says:

When you are as good as Jeffrey, you ain’t going nowhere. Doesn’t matter if you sing first. In fact, being first can be an asset. People just tuned in. They haven’t gotten bored yet.

• Lucie says:

I have to disagree with you. If a performance is memorable, then it doesn’t matter the order in which it occurs. I “watched” the first 2/3 of the show and listened to the first 2 songs from start to finish and ff’d through the rest of them, even Jordan. I was very disappointed in his performance. I’ve heard more expression in a high school talent show.

• Timmah says:

Not necessarily. People tend to remember the first and last of things. That’s why the second spot is actually considered the “death spot”.

21. Mytake says:

I wonder if Blake had any input into Emily’s song choice. Considering RL circumstances, that song struck me as a bit of a dig at Miranda.

22. Trinidad Chavez says:

B+ for Madi. Okay no. At Least an A-. At Least. I really did enjoy Jeffery this week. Honestly I don’t even care about Jordan’s singing because honestly that song he sang needs to be thrown into the depths of song choice afterlife. Just Saying. Everyone one else was meh to me. However I do feel like Korin gave her best performance since the live shows have started! I actually quiet enjoyed it. I honestly feel that will be enough to buy her until the Semi-Final massacre next week, especially with her Twitter fans (depending on who is in the bottom.) I feel like Braiden has outlived his time on this show and this is the week he just needs to go home, especially with that performance. I think Shelby or Amy SHOULD be in trouble but based on ITunes that’s not going to happen so oh well.

• JM says:

Absolutely agree about ‘Hallelujah’. Used to love that song, but thanks to reality TV singing shows, now I hate it.

• Trinidad Chavez says:

That’s the same issue with me. I saw song choices a few hours ahead and when I saw “Hallelujah” I thought, oh dear lord I do not want to go through this! So I just went to my fridge during that performance. I mean I guess it was good since he is number 2 on ITunes, but I refuse to listen to it because I’m tired of it on reality TV singing shows.

23. analythinker says:

iTunes:
    2 Jordan
    4 Emily Ann
    5 Barrett
    7 Madi
    14 Shelby
    16 Jeffery
    20 Amy
    40 Zach
    61 Korin
    193 Braiden

Perhaps this time Braiden will go. But nah, must be Korin’s time.

24. tom says:

For the love of God, will someone Please tell me WHAT is SO GREAT about Jordan Smith. I find him rather bland and boring, and I want to throw something at my TV every time he is on. And, I have heard much better versions of “Hallelujah”, than what he did tonight that it was almost sickening. Get him off my TV like yesterday.

• joy says:

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally someone feels like I do! I leave the room while my husband watches Jordan’s performances. Adam makes sure he performs songs people will download but could you imagine going to a concert with him. I would be asleep in five minutes.

• tvtjw says:

Hallelujah makes me want to vomit as this point, for God’s sake, even Joshua Davis’ performance of that song was better last year. Admittedly, I liked Joshua, but he wasn’t fantastic or a strong singer like how I found last season’s Sawyer Fredericks, (sorry, gotta bring it up) two seasons ago TJW, or Jeffery Austin to be. Jordan is just too overhyped to get cut this week or the next.

• analythinker says:

Bland and boring would not be the adjectives for me to describe him, but unemotional might be. I just want to feel something when he sings but nothing comes.

• Alba Kallfa says:

My thoughts exactly. Do not understand why people like him.

• foodielovefood says:

Your comments about Jordan and Hallelujah are so mind boggling to me. First of all, it’s a beautiful song with depth…actual poetry, if you listen to the lyrics. I’ve heard it a million times too, and I don’t love every version of it, but I was moved by Jordan’s performance of it, as I have been by all of his performances. I’m an atheist, so it isn’t a God thing with him. He doesn’t need all the histrionics and over the top-ness to communicate. His voice does it all, without the help of anything. It’s different than many of the others. He doesn’t have a big personality. He could use a little more variation in his delivery. But the quality of his voice is pretty close to perfect. He might be in the Josh Grobin-like category of singers, but he’s miles better than Grobin. If I’m the only one who feels this way, then so be it.

• Well, thankfully thousands and thousands of people don’t agree with you or Jordan wouldn’t be #2 on ITunes.

• Kbella says:

Different strokes for different folks.

25. Russ N says:

The coaches should not be critiquing the artists since they have a competition. Strategy would have them sabotage the other teams top artists with possibly false or overly harsh critiques. That being said all the rainbows and sunshine is getting sickening. I would like to see them add a judges panel for the lives from former advisors. Maybe even move Xtina from coach to judge. Reba, Taylor, and Rhiana would be some that I would love to see as judges. After the performance, have the judges have their say and then the coach respond.

26. Glen says:

You wonder how Madi and Shelby would do if they looked like Amy or Emily? I wonder how Shelby would be doing if she were on Team Blake instead of Team Adam. Her voice has more strength, character and range then any of Blake’s 3, yet she charts well below all of them because she doesn’t get the support of Blake’s country mafia.
    And really, how do you justify letting Team Blake have 2 of the last 3 performances of the night ( with Barrett getting to close out the show a second time this season)? As if country artists on this show needed any additional help to get advanced without the producers giving them extra advantages!

• joy says:

Boy you need to check your prejudice at the door! The two country songs that Shelby has sang have both sold well on iTunes Do you expect people that like country music to by non country songs? I can’t believe how much hatred you have for people you don’t even know! Once again there is no country mafia. There was a country mafia 15 years ago. Blake was not part of it. It’s a term for a group of different performers. Toby Keith was one not Blake Sheldon. Get your facts straight before you accuse people of stuff.

• kevstar says:

The problem with country fans is it seems they only like country songs. “Do you really expect people that like country music to buy non country songs?” That attitude right there is why country fans get a bad rap. Team Blake can sound horrible, and they still get votes! Remember the guy Jake from a couple seasons ago? Be was truly AWFUL and still made the top 3. Explain that!

• Glen says:

You made my point much more concisely than I was able to. Jake Worthington is a case in point of the “country mafia” voting bloc I was referring to. Buying a country song simply because it’s a country song is something I just can’t fathom.

• Glen says:

Not sure what prejudices you are referring to- I admit country isn’t my favorite genre, but I am simply pointing out the fact that Shelby has charted lower than all 3 of Blake’s artists every week since the live rounds started, regardless of what type of song she sang. ( and as for country fans not buying non-country songs: Zach’s Queen cover from tonight is predictably shooting up the charts, so..)
        It’s hard to argue against the fact that ever since the Voice put the winner of the show in the hands of the people, Blake’s country artists consistently sell singles, regardless of the quality of the performance or the overall talent of the artist themselves. I don’t mean “country mafia” literally, more to make the point that country fans ( and fans of Blake as a coach) seem to buy I-Tunes singles more aggressively as a fanbase than any other genre, which in my opinion has tilted the results much too heavily in favor of Team Blake the past several seasons.

27. Cagney says:

My favorite rendition of Halleliia from the Voice continues to be Matt Schuller- so boo to Blake on his comment. Jordan can hit the notes but I felt no emotional connection. Love Jeffrey- my favorite contestant from the Voice since Amber Carrington. I am also enjoying Emily Ann and Madi. About Madi’s song – did not love the arrangement by I think this was her best vocal and sHe has had good ones before.

• Meg says:

I agree with you about Jeffrey and Amber Carrington. I keep hoping to see recordings released from her.

• Glen says:

Amber Carrington’s version of “Stay” is still one of my all-time favorite live Voice performances.

• Trent says:

I’ve said this before but Jeffery’s trajectory is very similar to Amber’s and Amanda Brown’s. They both started with a one-chair turn and slowly won over people with great performances, despite the lack of favours from the production, who put all their eggs in a different basket (i.e. Cassadee, Danielle), before being tragically eliminated.
      Let’s change the cycle people!

28. 1humbleopinion says:

Madi took the night for me with her stellar “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” performance. Jordan comes in second (although, the coaches really need to remove “Hallelujah” from contestant performances for at least two or three cycles, as it’s getting very tired), but Jordan’s gave just the right amount of flourish, and yes, restraint to make it work. The surprise 3rd place for me tonight was Korin Bukowski, who re-emerges as a player now that she thankfully let the platinum blonde “Mini-Gwen” phase go. She sounded like herself and she sounded great.

Jeffrey is usually among the top performers, but his vocals were all over the place tonight and very shaky by the end of the song — it became too much “vocal drama” and not enough clean delivery of the song. Similarly, Amy started out great, but her breathy interpretations always start out great, then kinda go nowhere. Felt like she got a little lost by the end of the song (But I’m sure that will be a top iTunes charting single).

Lastly, sorry, but I think it’s time for Braiden to go.

29. tvtjw says:

Am I the only one who is being driven nuts by Jordan? I don’t know what it is, but I find him to be one of the most irritating, obnoxious performers. What’s weird is that I think he has a great voice, but still can’t stand him. Probably just his ridiculous overhyping.
    Also, a big thanks to Braiden for ruining one of my favorite band’s coolest songs.
    Jeffery (!!), Korin, and Madi are my three favorites at this point.

• Ani says:

You are definitely not alone! I think I can’t stand Jordan because he seems to think he’s the chosen one and is always bowing down to scoop up all the praise he knows he so richly deserves. The guy just is not that good and no one is going to actually buy his cd. Or streams or whatever.

30. Angie_Overrated says:

I’m going to belabor the bejeesus out of this point because it bears repeating. I relistened to Matt Schuler’s Hallelujah to make sure I wasn’t misremembering how 10-out-of-10 that was. Nope, not misremembering anything. For Blake to dare say that Jordan’s male version of a beauty pageant rendition of that song bested MS’s near vocal perfection is an insult to the entire academic field of aesthetics.
    Side note: I really want to see Matt Schuler some more. The boy was one of the most memorably talented contestants the show has had. I hope he gets his break and soon.

31. dlraetz says:

I wish we could ban Hallelujah from vocal completions. Jordan has a great voice, and I love that song, but it seems like everyone has covered it

32. T Young says:

I do not like Jeffrey’s depressing song choices every single week. Is the guy suicidal? He has a great voice but horrible stage presence. Gwen is failing him as a coach. Jordan is talented, like his choices or not, at least he is uplifting and you cannot deny his freakish talent. I said it last week and I stand by my statement that Blake’s team has the best overall performers. All three of them light up the stage. Everything Amy sings sounds the same. Shelby needs better direction and more experience. She can belt the big notes, but her lower register is weak and her timing is way off. Corinn has a great personality, but she’s out of her league. Braiden has great stage presence with excellent tone and pitch, but horrible song choices. Madi is talented, but that was a ridiculous rendition of Girls Just Want to Have Fun. The words of that song did NOT fit that arrangement and performance. It would be like singing a stripped down, mournful version of Take Me Out to the Ballgame.

33. Ddzz says:

Omg patsy is rolling over please reality TV and singing competitions- help us all by allowing true legends to live as they lived and new talents to prove themselves in a new way … Love the voice but please Patsy is sacred ground and this was not that!

34. Margarethe says:

I just can’t get into Barrett Baber’s tone – to me, he sounds like a goat. This is, of course, why there is such a wide range of singers with different tones and styles, because every listener has different ears and tastes. But with his tone, I just can’t.

35. kevstar says:

I don’t know what Slezak was drinking. Shelby was so much better than a B-.
    This was Korin’s best performance. She sounded better than Selena Gomez.(which I agree is not that hard). If Braiden doesn’t go home this week, we know who to blame.

36. I never liked any of Jeffery’s performances until tonight. I never heard that song before but I loved his rendition of it. He was by far my favorite of the night. I don’t really have anyone who is impressing me week after week, but I know for sure that I’ve seen enough of Barrett. Everything about him seems fake and forced and I don’t care for his voice at all. I haven’t really loved any Voice contestant since Craig Wayne Boyd though.

37. skrable2 says:

I don’t know why we get so hung up over Michael’s letter grades. (I’ve done it, too.) It’s clear he has his favorite, and nothing’s going to change that. What he does is point out the flaws in performances such as Madi, Jordan or Emily Ann — those with chances to keep Jeffrey from winning — as a way of trying to exert whatever influence he has over those who might vote.

And there’s nothing wrong with that. It’s what he’s supposed to do in a these recaps. Once you understand that he has as much of an agenda as anyone else posting here, you can ignore the letter grades and read this for entertainment value.

38. NotHardly says:

I love Jeffrey’s voice but was eventually totally bored by the long-winded, never ending-dirge of a song. I have no doubt he will advance because of the strength of his talent, but how about just once not being the poster child for abject misery.

39. Jeffrey’s version of Jealous is great but I will give his “A” to Madi for this round.

40. NotHardly says:

I was glad to see Korin get off the Gwen Doppelganger train that’s she’s been riding the last few weeks. I liked that performance and I’ve been ready for her to go home for the last couple weeks.

41. Will says:

No, just no (points to Braiden).

42. David says:

I’d like to see Zach Seabourg perform Elvis’ “A Little less Conversation” — i think it would be great. Madi Davis is highly original and I can see her having a career.

43. dj says:

Sometimes the coaches ruin it for me. I mean, besides their lack of cogent critiques, their actual coaching can ruin a performance for me. I liked Madi’s song better before Pharell told her she had to have bigger notes in there. I don’t like how Gwen tries to remodel everyone into a clone of someone else who’s already made it, such as herself. I wish she’d leave Braiden’s hair alone.

44. Timmah says:

For the first time this season, Jeffery was my favorite of the night. Jordan was amazing as usual, but I agree with others who say that song is way overdone. Adam, as he does every season, is saddling his horses with unimaginative song choices, and I fear either Amy or Shelby will be the first victim of them this week. Meanwhile Gwen is absolutely killing it with song selection. She’s even making that Sunshine kid sound tolerable.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I knew you’d come around on Jeffery. I just knew it!
      Korin is an interesting case. I recognize this is subjective, but I absolutely loathed that Selena Gomez song. Here’s the problem though… she sounded really good on it! She had that spunk in her presence, that edge in her voice, and that light in her eye. I’m torn on this one, but ultimately I think it’s better to sound amazing on a bad song that it is to sound ok on an amazing song. That song really worked quite well for her.

• tvtjw says:

Okay, Angie… We fought last season, but I will absolutely agree that Same Old Love worked very well for Korin, although an awful song. I personally thought it was much better than the original.

• Timmah says:

Well, I am starting to warm up to Jeffery a bit, though Jordan is still my overall favorite. My main complaint with Jeffery has been that, to my ears at least, he sometimes sounds forced and strained. But last night he sounded effortless and completely “in the moment” for lack of a better term. I would not mind at all a Jordan-Amy-Jeffery finale. Korin was a good surprise last night too, as was Emily Ann — who would have suspected that her and Patsy Cline would make a good match? Not me at least, but it worked great. More of Blake’s genius I guess.

45. Cheryl says:

Jordan Smith. All the way. Amazing voice, personality and presence.

46. ann says:

Will all the contestants make the top 10 on itunes? The rankings thus far..

2. Jordan
    3. Barrett
    4. Madi
    5. Emily Ann
    8. Jeffrey
    9. Shelby
    10. Amy

47. Kay says:

These coaches need to pick better songs that relate to age of their contestants. Let viewers pick songs also. Thanks!

48. I think this week they all did so much better than any other week. But for me it was Madi, Madi and more Madi. I liked Amy too and a few others like Jeffrey and Barret but Madi wow!

49. JRobey83 says:

Jeffrey – I didn’t really notice him until the live rounds, but I’m glad I have now. I thought the song he sang tonight was beautiful and his best performance yet. I had never heard it before.
    Jordan – I think Jordan has a great voice, but he bores me to tears.
    Emily – I don’t understand her popularity. She’s in the Top 10 of iTunes every week, but i find her quite bland.
    Korin – I actually liked her tonight. I think that’s the type of music she should sing. I didn’t know that was a Selena Gomez song. I usually don’t like that kind of music, but I enjoyed that song.
    Braiden – Just no.
    Amy – I really want to like her, but I’m hating the song choices and the arrangements her and Adam make.
    Barrett – He sounded great.
    Madi – Loved her arrangement of “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun”. She sounded great too. I think Madi should help Amy on song arrangements.
    Shelby – Already forgot what she sang.
    Zach – Great performer, okay singer.

50. Music in my Bones says:

Jeffery, Amy and Jordan are already professional quality singers. Next would be Emily Ann, who is flawless and has a sweet yet strong presence. Madi’s choice of song didn’t appeal to me. Ironically, her rendition struck me as self-indulgent. I thought she was far better last week.