Once Upon a Time Ratings

Ratings: Once Slips to Series Lows

ABC’s Once Upon a Time returned from its AMAs break to 4.3 million total viewers and a 1.3 demo rating, down 12 and 19 percent from its Nov. 15 double pump to mark new series lows.

Leading out of that, Blood & Oil (3.2 mil/0.9) was up a tenth from its last fresh outing, while Quantico (4.1 mil/1.2) ticked down to match series lows.

Elsewhere in the ratings….

CBS | Madam Secretary (9.5 mil/1.2) ticked up a tenth. The Good Wife (7.3 mil/0.9) was steady in teh demo while slipping to its smallest audience ever.

NBC | Sunday Night Football (23 mil/7.8) surged 44 and 39 percent versus last week’s fast nationals.

1. Coach taylor says:

Good lord OUAT….i certainly hope they get a 13 episode 6th season to wrap it up

• Chris says:

I think that will be the case, and a long shot for 7. I’m still committed to the show (being the first show I’ve ever watched from the beginning live), but it feels like it’s going nowhere after so long. I couldn’t stand the Frozen arc but this one was just boring. I’m worried it’s going to be another mind wipe or let’s move the cast to Hercules Land (which is looking like what will happen in 5B) and it’s getting beyond repetitive. I think this show would have been better off as an anthology series or done more of the random Fairy Tale episodes (they weren’t great, but it’s a main part of the show) as opposed to it being a Disney grab bag every half season, which I suppose isn’t a fair argument since they own everything now :)

• A fan of TV says:

I think the show lost its way when magic returned to Storybrooke in s2. Was enjoyable for a while, but upon reflection the far better move would have been to keep the real world groundedin some sort of reality, like early fan theories that Henry was mentally ill and just really, honestly believed the world he lived in was real, and not created inside his own head. I suppose the show could still go there for a series finale twist, where we discover that everything we thought was real was a figment of Henry’s imagination. Maybe the final series arc could be sort of flash-forward-y or like the final season of Lost, where the non-island stuff was afterlife fantasies. I’d love a twist like discovering Regina’s been Henry’s mother all along but has had to deal with Henry believing he was adopted by her, and just sort of end the series on a hopeful quasi-happy ever after note that acknowledgesthe real world isn’t like fairytales but this small Maine town will rally around Henry because they’re stronger together, something like that. But I have a feeling they’ll avoid that angle because it would be maybe too polarizing. But at least it would be realistic.

• Patrick says:

The real misstep was in S2. S2 “should” have been about Emma realizing Henry was right, but no one else having that knowledge. The mid-season finale should have been about Regina realizing that Henry and Emma knew the truth. Maybe Emma was aware that Regina knew Emma was hip to what was really happening, or maybe not. The S2 finale should have been about ONE, but not BOTH, of Emma’s parents realizing the truth. I lean towards Charming knowing the truth, but whatever. S3 should have been about the other parent learning the truth, and S4 about “lifting” the curse. S5 and beyond should have been about the reintegration of “reality” back into the magical realm, only with some modern ideas. Having people know both their true backstory, and what happened in Storybrook would have made for some interesting stories. That nonsense about Peter Pan as a villian was insane. Trying to redeem Regina and Rumple was just as stupid. Let the bad guys be bad guys. Not conflicted, not redeemable. Just be villains, even if they had legit reasons for being “bad”. This show had so much potential, but, like Lost, there was no long term plan. The plan seems to have been, “make it up as we go” and that failed. Horribly. This failure was glaringly obvious by episode 3 of S2. They had no idea where they were going, and they lived up to that.

• BM says:

You kind of missed the point of the show since the point is that *nothing* is as simple as black and white, good or bad. They didn’t treat the characters as fairy tales in which it is that simple but as “real” people and in a “real” world, no matter which realm, it’s not as simple.
            That said, I wasn’t exactly a fan of the S5 arc, there was too much going on. It would have been enough to focus on the main characters in and out of Camelot and maybe to not make it all turn out to be so anti-climatic. I felt that they had this huge build up and then it all was a rather simple resolve. (And please, can they get rid of Zelena already because why is she there, really? I thought that using her was Emma’s best idea ever.)

• Ann says:

Agreed. The first two seasons of OUAT was solid. Season three was okay, but I appreciated the writers changing what we know about the story of Peter Pan, with him being the evil one and Hook being misunderstood for being evil. The show really started to take a nosedive when Disney decided that the writers couldn’t mess with Disney characters like they did with Peter Pan and the show changed, tonally, with the introduction of Disney characters as they appear in the Disney movies. Then they ended the curse only to continue getting cursed and losing their memories each season because the writers don’t know what else to do, like they did in Lost…I really should have known better than to trust the writers of Lost…that show went on and on with a great concept but meandering stories that eventually lead to nowhere.

• tvjunkie says:

It’s ratings are still better than the other 2 ABC shows and it typically beats anything else in that time slot in the demo, excluding football.

• Dave says:

Even though the ratings have gotten pretty bad, what’s interesting is that it seems to still be the highest-rated scripted show on Sunday nights. That has to count for something, right?

• ninergrl6 says:

I think so! Jennifer Morrison said a few weeks ago that it’s consistently a top 20 show (didn’t fact check that myself). She also said she suspects season 6 will be the last, but if people watch the show live and the ratings are steady, then it could go longer.

• Mika says:

Unfortunately, we gave up on OUAT back in the Frozen season. It’s time for the producers to pull a “Lost” move and choose Ann end date.

• Ginger Snap says:

Gotta say, a great SNF game is no match for OUaT.

2. Hipper says:

Yikes on the renewed Quantico.

• Coach taylor says:

I don’t believe Quantico has been given a 2nd season yet, just a full order for season 1

• Z says:

I like Quantico but I dont really want it to get a second season… For a show like that, one solid season with a beginning and an ending is best… If they try to stretch this thing out for another season it could get tedious.

3. farleyc says:

I just don’t enjoy Emma’s character at all. It’s hurts the show for me – a lot. Losing interest really fast. :-/

• Malcolm Mao says:

I think the problem is that Jennifer Morrison can’t play bad. Lana Parilla and especially Robert Carlyle relish their badness. She just looks stiff :)

• John NYC says:

Part of that may be while Regina and Rumple embraced their darkness with a whole lot of enthusiasm Emma appears to be playing the role of a very conflicted Dark One (her plots revolve around destroying the Dark, unlike, at the moment, what we see Hook doing). And that tension comes off as “stiff”….

• t.w.123 says:

That may be the case, but whatever the motivation, I agree with @Malcom and @Farleyc that the stiffness comes across the screen as incredibly boring. A villain requires some type of chemistry or spark to jump off the screen. Dark Swan is like watching paint dry.

• Terry says:

yeah, I agree. I think the Dark Swan storyline had a lot of promise but it’s been kind of a dud for me. The memory loss rehashed plot line really turned me off and I’ve mostly just been confused this season. I hope they can come up with something better for next year.

• abz says:

I’ve always liked Emma, but I feel like the Dark Swan role didn’t live up to its potential.

• It's Delovely says:

I don’t really like most of the OUAT characters anymore. It’s a shame, since I used to like most of them. This last episode character-assassinated Belle, who had been my co-favorite (but has suffered from inconsistent and out-of-character writing since Season 4B).

Rumple, Regina, and Henry are the only fairly consistent characters left. In Rumple and Regina’s case, I put that down to Robert Carlyle and Lana Parrilla’s ability to maintain consistent characterization in spite of terrible, plot-driven writing. (Poor Henry doesn’t get enough screentime for his character to have been ruined.)

• Katie Waston says:

The show used two strong women that care for their son, but now they cry over men and could care even less about Henry. Miss Emma Swan and Regina Mills.

4. browneyegurl says:

Let’s just call it like it is, this was a Hook centric. But typical of his fans, he won’t be blamed as a cardboard bland character and Colin embarrassingly trying to mimic the great Robert’s take of the DO. Nope, it is all Thanksgiving and football fault.

• Callie says:

There are actually a myriad of legitimate reasons contributing to lower ratings. OUAT – which STILL won the night in broadcast scripted programming – is a serialized show, viewing mechanisms are changing, sports competition on a holiday weekend. But seeing as you place the blame on the character as well as the actor (which is unkind), I will probably be dismissed as biased. Still, I don’t think that you can blame a character/relationship. If you insist on doing so, this wasn’t a typical Hook/Captain Swan episode (which all had solid ratings). We were hit over the head with promos indicating that Hook embraced the darkness. Many fans find that unappealing – I know that I haven’t been a fan of dark Emma and even less dark Hook. I don’t think that I’m overly invested in one character, I like them all, and it was a struggle for me to watch. It’s not unrealistic that people would tune out for a dreary and depressing episodes.

• browneyegurl says:

When a relationship derails other character’s storylines, arcs, and screentime, then yes, it can be put to blame on them. And you guys are seriously having some cognitive dissonance. This episode and the next were heavily promoted Hook episodes and you guys are still spreading misinformation that CS have solid ratings and it just isn’t that.

Every facet of fandom is getting tired that an overall useless character is being front and center. And saying that Robert is a superior actor to Colin who was a no name before this show, is not unkind, it is fact. And some of use think it is cringe worthy to try to mimic Rumple gestures. They can never create an unique storyline for Hook. Basically Hook was Regina 2.0 when first introduced. They killed Neal who was the basis of the whole Dark Curse to force him into the bad boy/good girl cliché troupe with Emma. They hijacked Emma’s storylines and just placed it on Hook. He is the most redundant, useless character on the show. But no matter how toxic that relationship is, CS will be endgame.

But if you seriously don’t get overly invested in one character, then you should have notice how much of those characters are sidelined for just Hook.

• abz says:

What a surprise that people would choose a semi-Hook-centric episode to complain about him being “front and center”. You are clearly so blinded by your hatred for Hook. All the main characters got to have some moments of their own this episode. Rumple/Belle, Emma and Henry, Snow/Charming, Regina, even Zelena had some moments. Hook this season has acted in similar capacity to the other core characters. He was one of team trying to save Emma from the darkness because he is one of the many people who care about her. If anything, a lot of the main characters were sidelined because of the focus on the Camelot and Brave characters/arcs.
          I don’t understand why so many people like you basically want Emma to just be alone romantically and have no one. She loves Hook. She’s with him. He didn’t hijack her storyines. He is a part of her life and will get screen time accordingly especially since she’s one of the central characters of the show. Much like Charming is a part of Snow’s life and they are rarely ever apart. Part of her story this season was removing the darkness and there was a point in that endeavour where she was about to lose Hook, so she did what she could to save him. Much like Snow and Charming share half a heart or how Regina wanted to save Robin.
          Just because he became Emma’s love interest doesn’t make him useless. By that logic, Belle’s primary purpose on the show is as Rumple’s love interest. Robin shouldn’t be on the show because he’s only a love interest for Regina. Emma is one of if not the main character of the show. Hook serves a purpose in Emma’s life. He helps her lower her guard down and let people in. He cares for her deeply which is something she always wanted was to be loved and have loved ones in her life.
          I loved seeing Hook mimic Rumple’s gestures. Colin has always been great in his role on the show
          “They can never create an unique storyline for Hook.” So two Dark One’s existing at the same time, which has never happened before on the show, is not unique?

• Ginger Snap says:

OUaT is in its fifth season. It’s suffering from viewer fatigue. That’s being expressed as Hook and Emma fatigue.
            Stop trying to argue with people who are expressing a legitimate complaint. At least they care enough to still watch the show.

• Seth says:

What a surprise that a CS fan would be right there to spew their hogwash to people making legitimate complaints against their precious Hook. Hate to break it to you, but you like it when Hook mimics Rumple’s gestures because you’re a moron who doesn’t know any better. Colin’s acting is so subpar compared to Carlyle’s that seeing him try to take on the characteristics of another character (you know, because his is boring and useless) is 100% cringeworthy. As for the other characters having “some” moments, you’ve summed it up just right: SOME. Most of their scenes last a second long, and ever since Hook came on the show, the writers have done their best to integrate him into every single aspect of the show because whiny little brats like you can’t stand to see anyone other than CS take center stage. Emma used to be a strong and independent woman who didn’t need a man to make her feel whole. Now her entire existence is dependent upon Hook, a POS with the most generic and over-recycled character development I’ve ever seen. He’s a walking cliche, a “bad boy” gone “good” by a woman’s love, except he’s not good and everything he does wrong is immediately overlooked by both the writers and the CS fans, because as long as a character is “hot,” his actions are automatically forgivable. Your ship and your pretty pirate boy suck. They’re boring and they’ve taken up so much of this ridiculous show that I don’t even watch it anymore. The writing sucks (that’s not the character’s fault. That’s Adam and Eddy’s. Their shows start out good and get progressively worse as the seasons wear on. Let’s not forget Lost) and your little “ship” sucks. Get over it.

• buttercupscarlett95 says:

I didn’t watch for the exact reason you said. I love Hook and Captain Swan, but the promos were awful. I don’t want to see Hook act evil. I want him and Emma to be heroes, fighting the villains together and going home together to their house with a view of the sea every night.

5. Shawn says:

Maybe OUAT should have more Hook and Captain Swan. That will solve all their problems.

• buttercupscarlett95 says:

Maybe they should turn Hook back to the hero we love and not have him fighting with Emma. Ratings were much better when Captain Swan was happy.

• Shawn says:

Sure, Jan.

• Audrey says:

Hook will soon turn back to the hero he was, it’s just a phase! I know it’s a big twist, but it’s just to shake things up.
        Honestly I love this season so far and I can’t wait to watch 5b. I wasn’t expecting all these negative comments (and the low ratings). I really hope this show will have a full season 6 next year.

• Tana Lara says:

THANK YOU!!! I really LOVE this season. I hate that so many people don’t understand the bigger picture. I too would much rather CS be all fluff. But shoot, who doesn’t like angst. Can’t always be rainbows and unicorns. And Colin and Jennifer I think are masters this season with the acting. I legit cried so much over this season so far. Almost to the embarrassing point. Anyway, I hope OUAT goes at least for a few more seasons. Long enough to see some CS lovin and pirate princess babies :-)

• Ella says:

Gee, I don’t think focusing on Hook or Captain Swan is a good idea – People might loose interest. For a fact, I think the whole Captain Swan thing is damaging the idea of a “family centered” show.

6. Susan says:

I don’t understand why CSI:Cyber wasn’t shown last night. It was scheduled to be on but as usual CBS Sunday’s football ran over. Does anyone know when that episode will be shown? At least I got to see Madam Secretary, which was a great episode.

• Coach taylor says:

They said last night on the football game that it will air next Sunday instead

• Boiler says:

I think Madame Secretary is having a great season, even better than last year. Too bad everyone looks at the demo as it is certainly getting people to watch it

• prish says:

Wasn’t Harry’s Law getting 17 million viewers, but since almost none of them were the demo, it was cancelled? I might be remembering incorrectly, but I thought that was the shocking info put out.

7. Carly says:

Not surprised about OUAT, this season is just plain bad. Sucks about Quantico though.

8. I’ve watched Once live since day one and I’ve gotten increasingly frustrated by the over-emphasis on Hook and Hook/Emma.

It seemed that they gave Hook/Emma a story that could have been and should have included Rumple/Belle. Many Rumbelle fans have been around since Season 1 and have hoped for the Dark One story to come front and center and include their relationship.

Last night Rumbelle were given a strange, emotionless (on Belle’s part) separation, again. I don’t want them to jump back to being together, but I would like them to have a chance, with Rumple finally not being cursed, and trying to do the right thing without dark magic involved. I just feel like this might be a poor way to write out Belle for a while. I actually felt she was being controlled or it wasn’t even her in that scene. She felt so off and contradictory to what we were seeing earlier in the season…

There was a lot of stuff about that episode and these last few episodes that have made me whip my head around a bunch of times due to inconsistency, contradiction, or poor continuity. I hate to be saying this stuff because I loved the show. At least if Rumbelle were still around I would have something to look forward to even if it was angst-driven… but they just don’t show them on screen. They want the younger and hotter couples. That’s what I’ve been getting from this. It’s very disappointing.

At least I have Rumple and Robert Carlyle still on the show and he’s always enjoyable to watch, but I’m practically in mourning for Rumbelle, Emma, and Belle and all the characters that I used to love in the earlier seasons.

IMO, this show has strayed too far from what it used to be. Maybe it’s being reflected in the ratings… It’s such a shame. I hope they turn it around.

9. Boiler says:

OUAT and Quantico both get huge DVR bumps, last week Quantico over 100%. Even though retired now I never watched anything live after 10/9 due to work. Again somehow the networks need to figure out a way to make money off the DVR viewing as a shows true popularity has nothing to do with demo

• Callie says:

I’m happy to hear that about Quantico. I’m not worried about OUAT (I think it has one more season at the very least) but I was worried for Quantico since its ratings keep dropping.

• Ginger Snap says:

The networks have figured out how to capture the data from multi-platform viewing. It’s just that TVLine isn’t in the business of reporting this data. Variety has published several articles on how the Networks and Nielson are developing new metrics to capture this data.
      The problem is that most of the people who respond to these articles are uninformed about the way that the networks use this data.

• Marc says:

The networks need to capture revenue for DVR viewing. Some percentage still watch the ads, so it has some value to advertisers, but all we hear about is Same Day, +3, and +7, after which the viewers have no value. Does watching the same week really make a difference to advertisers other than movies about to open, sales, and candidates before an election. What should really matter is how many people actually watch the ads.

• Ginger Snap says:

I can tell you that the advertisers have figured out that they can buy ads on other platforms. I use my smartphone a lot and ads are finding their way onto many streaming devices – and not just for scripted shows. They’re becoming part of games. I upgraded to Windows 10 and now get ads on things like Solitaire games.
          Plenty of money is being made, it’s just not as focused on the schedule of the broadcast networks.

10. prish says:

The husband says, “It was a little strange, last night. They keep wanting to bring people to the dark side. There is nothing happy. No one seems to have a happy life. They want the sad life. It is bleak sometimes. What is this thing about Emma and the dark side? There is no consistency. Remember?” I say bring back Snow’s bouncing curls.

• Callie says:

I agree! I don’t expect sunshine and roses and puppies all – or even half – the time, but that was difficult to watch.

• It's Delovely says:

The show is such a relentless downer lately. There are no moments of joy or love triumphant. Everything is a depressing mad dash to the next Disney tie-in and plot “twist”.

11. Souris says:

Once experienced the EXACT SAME demo drop last season from the ep before the two-week AMA break to the ep airing on Thanksgiving weekend: 4×08 (2.4, airing on Nov. 16) to 4×09 (2.1, airing on Nov. 30). A two-week break plus a holiday weekend results in a ratings drop. Of course, since Once’s ratings are lower this year than last, it’s a bigger percentage drop, but a drop was to be expected.

• Ginger Snap says:

You can’t compare last season to this season. You can make an observation that ratings typically dip during the Thanksgiving weekend, but to say that last years ratings are lower than this year’s ratings is meaningless. Due to the shift to multi-platform viewing, we’re observing a social trend that has affected every scripted show on every network. Suffice it to say that some people continue to watch scripted shows live, but most of us have moved on to other platforms

12. Lisa says:

The Frozen arc was enough to get me to stop watching. Very disappointing, it started out so strong.

• abz says:

I don’t get why people hated the Frozen storyline so much. I loved the Snow Queen (Elizabeth Mitchell was great) and Emma/Elsa’s new friendship. And that arc also gave us some much needed background on Emma since she was very underdeveloped at that point in the shows run.

• SayNay says:

For me it wasn’t the Frozen storyline so much as the back half of the season with the queens of darkness and the Zelena return/pregnancy thing. I had watched the show from the beginning, but by that point it was a struggle to tune in, so I was done.

• abz says:

I thought the back half was pretty good, except I do agree with what you mentioned regarding Zelena. I was interested in the possibility of Zelena’s return at one point, but the pregnancy development was lame. And I feel like Ursula didn’t live up to her potential too. Cruella though was my favorite part of 4B. Can’t wait to see her return.

13. browneyegurl says:

And if people want to compare OUAT to current shows, OUAT is the only show that has experience a significant demo drop.

14. eric7740 says:

Matt, any word on how QUAT does with DVR watching factored in??? Plus I know a lot of people’s viewing habits have changed with Hulu a big player now. Thats how my sister watches all of her shows, on Hulu. She still DVR’s them but doesn’t watch them that way.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Season to date averaging 46% bump in audience (7.6 mil), 60% bump in demo (2.7). But advertisers aren’t really buying against those numbers, they largely suggest to a network a show’s “potential.”

• Boiler says:

Matt, in all your spare time:), would love to see your ideas. Also if you really feel demo as is makes sense anymore. Otherwise it seems to me network tv could die.

15. AngelWasHere says:

OUAT has been boring this year. I’m not a regular watcher like some of my family, but from what I’ve seen its been boring and even a little confusing. Too much jumping around between Camelot and fariybrook(I think that’s what it’s called), too much Hook/Swan stuff, and Emma is boring as the dark one. Hook isn’t even interesting. So yeah I can see why the ratings are slipping.

• abz says:

Admitting that you’re not a regular viewer of a SERIALIZED show and then complaining that it’s confusing…yeah that makes sense.

• AngelWasHere says:

My family who are regulars have said the same thing. I also watched quite a bit before this season. I started around the season before frozen. Anyway I’m not going claim I know this show inside and out. I don’t. It’s just what I observed and commenters here seem to think the same thing at least.

• Ginger Snap says:

Um, Angel IS watching the show. And used to be a regular viewer. You seem to feel a need to criticize others who don’t share your enthusiasm for an aging series that is showing signs of viewer fatigue.

You are free to express your love of the show, but there isn’t a need to argue with people who have lost interest in the story.
        ABC is facing a dilemma – how much longer to continue with a show that is losing interest from the viewers. And what do you replace it with. I don’t think it goes beyond season 6 and it could end at season five quite nicely.

• abz says:

This is a TV discussion board. What do you think the “Reply” button is for? How do you expect to comment and not be replied back to? I saw some comments that I had an opinion on or input I wished to express and I replied back to those comments as I am free to do so, much like others reply back to mine (including you unfortunately).
          Angel mentioned in her original comment that she is not a “regular” viewer of this serialized show and complained of boredom and confusion and didn’t even know the name of the town after the X amount of times its been mentioned. I’m not the only one to reply back to her about this. Angel also goes on further to mention that she didn’t start the show till the third season (that’s like starting to read a book in the middle and not paying attention to the details of the first half).
          I’m not criticizing other’s enthusiasm for the show. If you’ve lost interest, then by all means stop watching. I’m not gonna force you to watch. I know that the show probably has one more season left in it at most and I’m okay with that as long as they hopefully get some advance notice for a final season so they can wrap things up. This season hasn’t been my favourite so far except for a handful of episodes, including this one and I’m more looking forward to the second half. But comments like Angel’s and the incessant Hook-bashing and exaggerations are annoying which is why I make use of that “Reply” button if I feel like replying to the comment.
          You say I feel the need to criticize other people’s enthusiasm for the show, but based on the many negative comments I’ve come across of yours on several posts, I’d say you feel the need to spread around your bitterness toward the show.

• NotAnselAdams says:

No, Angel’s actually right. Abz, you spend most of your time on here attacking people who disagree with you in some very puerile attempt to turn this into a debate society. It’s not.

Also, none of us actually are all that concerned with whether you agree with us or not … so really, the right answer, Ginger, is for people like us to stop responding to people like Abz. Problem solved!

• John NYC says:

Serialized shows rely on the continuity: lose that by only occasionally watching (and not getting the town name right means not watching much At All, I’d guess) and “confusing” isn’t a complaint, it’s an expected result.

• AngelWasHere says:

Yeah whatever. Won’t be commenting under OUAT post anymore .Geez. And yes its storybook. My bad. I do know the character names, their relationships, the dark one (now two) plot and I have a very excited regular watching with me to fill me in (who’s also confuse), but I’m too stupid to follow apparently so I’ll just shut up.

• AngelWasHere says:

And maybe “regular” was the wrong word. I’m not longtime watcher. I have started watching every week since the season before the frozen one. Ok now I’m shutting up.

• Oh, I forgot to even add my thoughts on this arc … half of it has been some of my least favorite OUAT stuff; the other half has been thoroughly enjoyable.
      I liked Seasons 1 and 2 great. Season 3 was hit and miss, but I watched the whole thing. I didn’t find Season 4’s Snow Queen compelling or to make much sense at all, but the rest of the Frozen stuff was fine, although quite glacial in pacing at times; the Disney villainesses were pretty fun, but not around nearly enough.

Camelot? Pretty much a yawner, for me. Dark Swan hasn’t lived up to its potential. But I really liked all the Merida stuff.

There’s not been “too much” Hook and Swan, but the jumping around between pre-curse Camelot, post-curse Camelot, pre-Camelot-even-existing, and modern day … has been dizzying and not handled very well. Poor writing/directing/producing on that front.

Is OUAT still my go-to show on Sunday night? Hell yeah. But even I can acknowledge when one of my favorite shows has really been underwhelming. This is only the second story arc where I’ve not minded missing episodes and catching up in recaps or on Hulu. That’s not a great pattern to set.

• Michelle says:

I completely agree with everything you said! This season has been a little harder to watch but not because of any certain character like some people try to say. With all of the time jumps, at this point I don’t think even the writers know what the hell is going on. People need to stop blaming the actors for making the best out of what they were given to work with.

16. buttercupscarlett95 says:

I love OUAT, but I couldn’t watch this episode. I love Emma and Hook’s relationship too much to watch the show trash it by turning Hook evil. Wake me when they fix Captain Swan.

17. GraceM says:

I guess the Camelot storyline is dragging on too much and is bit confusing too.

18. datdudemurphy says:

It was up against Broncos vs Patriots…..there were a lot of eyes on that game.

19. Edna says:

The story line is so mixed up. I realize there cannot be a happy every after, but where are the adventures?

20. charmedrumbelle says:

Gosh golly, you think the fact that Hook is eating the show and the utter destruction of Rumbelle and disrespect of Rumbelle fans OVER AND OVER has anything to do with those ratings?

21. Michael says:

Can someone please tell me when CSI: Cyber will air this week’s episode? Matt, do you know? Is it available online? Will they move Sinatra and air it next week? These ridiculous football overtimes are really getting old.

22. JK says:

I wonder if Once’s weird 2 hour – 1 hour not really about Storybrooke – episode block, 2 weeks ago, made people think it was off until after the 1st of the year. I forgot, until I checked. Yes, I also don’t like Emma or Hook at this point, but I think ABC should be part of the blame of the scheduling

23. David Angle says:

To everyone who skipped Season 4 because of Frozen: You MISSED OUT on the second half that was incredibly dark and mature and felt like the show we all loved. Cruella and Maleficent nailed it! Ursula didn’t become interesting till we learned about her past the ugly design and left the show. But Seriously you missed on some major Snow Emma and Regina scenes with Vic (Cruella De Vil) adding a brand new element of evil to the show. Mal was basically Regina just with less remorse for killing people.

24. ninergrl6 says:

Shame about OUAT losing viewers. Last night’s episode was GREAT.

25. robin says:

It is hard to.keep track of where they are. Now that the truth has been revealed maybe it will get better. Also since when can you kill Merlin? Isn’t he immortal?

26. Nan says:

Thats cuz Once Upon a Time sucks big time this season….however, with that being said since I’ve invested all this time I will see it through this season…not sure if I will be returning if there is another one though.

27. fiberlicious says:

Madam Secretary started out great and gets even better with every episode. This last one was superb.

28. Bahra says:

I guess Bell is going off the show while she is pregnant. The question is, where will the writers have her live other than Storybrooke? I wish they had written it in the show for her and Rumple to have the baby and be together. Makes no since that they write her out.
    It also makes no since that Emma waited for Hook to do so much damage before erasing his memories. Why couldn’t she stop him from crushing Merlin’s heart? Her powers should be stronger than Hooks now that she went to the darkest of dark upon tethering him to Excalibur. It doesn’t make since either that Hook embraced the darkness so quickly after fighting so hard and long to free himself from it.
    Did anyone notice that Hook had no eyeliner on during the scene in the woods between him and Emma when he became so angry about Excalibur? I noticed his hair is parted on the opposite side now as well. That is, if you can say it’s parted at all. He looks like a vagabond now. No matter, he’s gorgeous whatever they do to him.
    Although this episode was heartbreaking, I found it very entertaining. I could not believe how cruel he was while telling Emma that she would always be an orphan. Killian would have never allowed anyone to talk to her like that. Much less doing it himself. Although season 5 is an edge of your seat series, I am looking forward to having our lovesick Killian back and our lovers hand in hand again. I do not like the writers pitting Hook and Emma against each other. Would have been better if they were working side-by-side as dark ones. They really looked cute holding hands, and it was so hot with Hook getting into that kiss without the timidity of the old Killian.
    I find many flaws and unanswered questions with season 5 up to this point. I hope the writers are able to clean it up a bit before long. If they write Hook out of the show, I will stop watching it.
    Hopefully they will write a happy ending our favorite characters. How fun would it be to watch them make up after all of this heart wrenching catastrophic disaster that has separated them. It would be so sweet to watch Hook break down emotionally and beg Emma’s forgiveness, which ends up with them returning to that white picket fenched house together with a new start. What happened to “Happily Ever After” in fairytales? If this doesn’t happen with these two characters, I will no longer watch the show. However , for now I find myself thinking about it even while I’m at work. Apparently the writers have accomplished that much of their goals for this season. I wish a book was written from this story, so I could read ahead.

29. Bahra says:

Hopefully they will write a happy ending our favorite characters. How fun would it be to watch them make up after all of this heart wrenching, catastrophic, disastrous trial that has separated them. It would be so sweet to watch Hook break down emotionally and beg Emma’s forgiveness, which ends up with them returning to that white picket fenched house together with a new start.
    What happened to “Happily Ever After” in fairytales? If this doesn’t happen with these two characters, I will no longer watch the show. However , for now I find myself thinking about it even while I’m at work. Apparently the writers have accomplished that much of their goals for the season. I wish a book was written from this story, so I could read ahead.

30. Patty Stamps says:

The Merida/Mulan episode seemed so out of place. I also thought the “2 hour” epsidoe was the “winter finale.” If others thought the same, that could have affected the ratings.

• Bahra says:

I think views were expecting more from episode 9. I know I was. I wasn’t sure where that was relevant to what was going on in Storybrooke. I was expecting both episodes to be that of Hook, Emma and the characters of Storybrooke. I would be entertained enough just with Storybrooke alone. However, I am stll a very devoted fan and look forward from week to week for each episode.

31. Ginger says:

Can’t believe they killed off Hook, and hopefully Emma gets her Happy Ending with him and a fairy tail wedding. As for Rumpul he needs to be taught some lessons

32. Barb Barton says:

Loved this show at first, but it is getting darker and now no fun to watch. The current Hell and Hades them is bad and characters are boring now….and disappointing. The Fairy Tale characters are not ones I would want my kids to see. changed channels last night and will not watch this again !