Arrow Casts Tom Amandes

Arrow Casts Everwood's Tom Amandes as DC Comics Villain The Calculator

Berlantiverse favorite Tom Amandes is heading to Arrow — to do a real “number” on someone.

TVLine has learned exclusively that the alum of such past Greg Berlanti projects as Everwood, Eli Stone and No Ordinary Family has booked an arc on Calculator(one of!) the prolific producer’s CW series as DC Comics villain The Calculator.

A criminal mastermind and technical genius, The Calculator — aka Noah Kuttler — uses his advanced skills in computer science and internet manipulation to blackmail Roy (Colton Haynes) out of retirement to do his bidding, which leads to an epic battle with Team Arrow.

RELATED Arrow: Colton Haynes to Return as Roy

Amandes — whose most recent TV credits include Chicago Fire, Revenge, Parenthood and Scandal — is set to appear in two episodes, beginning with this season’s 12th outing, “Unchained.”

Arrow resumes Season 4 on Wednesday, Dec. 2, when it presents the back half of this season’s #Flarrow crossover event.

1. tsukikomew says:

So is this Felicity’s father…?

2. Sara says:

Boom. Felicity’s dad.

3. A says:

Ooooh, hello Papa Smoak?

4. lily says:

If he is indeed Felicity’s father, 2 episodes seem too little. BUT I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

5. spindae2 says:

Looks like PaPa Smaok, smells like Papa Smoak, reads like Papa Smoak isn’t Papa Smoak for sure. Lol
    I love Tom I would love for him to be Fel’s dad and have a bigger role on the show.

• Jack says:

They announced at Heroes and Villains Fan Fest that the father had been cast and would be announced this week, and this was just announced. Plus, it goes hand in hand with David Ramsey’s comments about Felicity’s father, as well as EBR’s. It’s him.

• amb1973 says:

Definitely Papa Smoak. I’m guessing a couple episodes now and more in S5. Excellent character choice, and really excellent actor choice. Tom Amandes is great.

Also, yeah, they’re not killing Felicity.

6. Liz says:

OMG please say this is Felicity’s dad! EPIC.

7. Smoak Arrow says:

OoOooooooh! Felicity Smoak’s father? This could get super interesting. this has always been a theory kicking around (the Calculator being her father). Bring it on! Amandes and Emily Bett Rickards. Hm. I could see it.

8. elena says:

Felicity’s father??

9. Liz says:

I’m pumped that Roy is coming back and they’re doing it in a cool way. I thought he’d just come back because Thea has a new love interest and they’d do a whole stupid love triangle thing again. I prefer this way!

10. kath says:

Wow, it looks like if Greg Berlanti likes you on one of his shows, you’ve got a pal for life!
    I like that about him.
    Matt, is this the much talked about Papa Smoak?

11. Rob Watkins says:

If this Felicity’s father, good, he’s a villain that contributes to the story, and if he’s a good actor and character, then i’d be fine with more than two episodes, but two episodes isn’t too little simply because he might be Felicity’s dad. This show isn’t about her. It’s called Arrow.

• Liz says:

Felicity deserves to have her own storyline though. It’s been 4 seasons and we know very little about her. Doesn’t mean the show is about her now. SMH.

• Rob Watkins says:

This season already has a lot of storylines, it needs to stay focused and we know plenty. What is really ridiculous is you think we don’t know much about her. We know what her passion is, what drives her, we know her likes and dislikes and we know plenty about her past, including uninteresting stuff such as her being a goth. Her mother adds so little to the show, in fact her presence detracts. Because this could be her father it stands a good chance of being interesting and adding something to the show and Felicity’s character.

I like Felicity, but you all act like that episode that delved into her past was akin to Fool for Love in Buffy, and that so wasn’t the case.

By the way, she has a storyline this season, as unbelievable as it is, she’s running Palmer Tech AND she’s finally in a mature relationship with Oliver.

• Sara says:

There’s a little more to a character than just knowing about the goth phase they had in college… I respectfully disagree. I do think she needs a storyline that would help us see why she has abandonment issues and that goes back to her father, which was talked about again and again and again by her mother. So Donna Smoak does have her place in the show, if not for Donna but for Felicity. If they address what kind of relationship she had with her dad, you understand why she’s a little broke. If she’s a little broke, she’s a little flawed. If she’s flawed, she’s a fully fleshed out character.
          The only reason this season has a lot of storylines is because they’re launching Legends of Tomorrow. But that’s almost done. So they have the opportunity to focus on the main characters in the second half of the season, the ones you’re really watching the show for.

• Rob Watkins says:

Yes, there’s her personality, wants, desires, psychology, all of which we know. We don’t know Diggle’s parents but he’s a well rounded character.

Felicity doesn’t have abandonment issues. When has it actually popped up in the present as being an issue of hers? How has it negatively affected her? I don’t see Felicity as being even a little broken. She’s not that flawed, endearingly quirky, that’s it.

Aside from LOT, we have Oliver’s desire to do things differently, his relationship with Felicity, Felicity as CEO, working with Curtis, Darhk’s plan, Lance working with Darhk as the inside man, Thea’s bloodlust, and Diggle’s brother. That’s a lot! Plus, I’m hoping that Laurel gets a story as well. As for whom I watch the show for, yeah, I like the show’s cast, but as a fan of comics and the characters, I enjoy all of the cross pollination.

• kath says:

It’s true that we haven’t met Diggle’s parents but we’ve met Diggle’s brother, sister-in-law, nephew, wife and baby and this season, he’s getting a major arc with his brother and Damian Darhk.
            On the other hand, we’ve met Felicity’s mother 3 times and an old boyfriend. The two aren’t nearly comparable.
            While Felicity has got a CEO storyline, the truth is that it’s only been in one episode. The rest of the time her interactions with Curtis have been about Darkh or Ray. It’s season four and time to know more about who Felicity is as a character.

Felicity and Diggle are the best adjusted of the team, true, but that doesn’t mean that she doesn’t have abandonment issues. She first talked about them in the episode Heir To The Demon in season 2 and we got to see them a bit during season 3 as Oliver repeatedly pushed her away emotionally.

A few people have been guessing that The Calculator is going to be Felicity’s father since last season when David Ramsey said that once we hear who he is, we’re going to know where she got her brains.

• Liz says:

THIS. Thank you. Learning she was a goth and an amazing hacker in college wasn’t exactly a surprise.

• Sara says:

@ Rob Watkins
            Again. Disagree. Way back in season 2 she talks to oliver about her father and not willing to be able to lose someone she loves again. This season she literally spent an entire episode going nuts because things were so good in her relationship with oliver that she thought the other shoe was about to drop because her own father thought she and her mother were worthless and thus easy to leave behind.
            All the characters you’ve listed are part of the main cast. Felicity is also part of the main cast. Felicity having an independent storyline is not the reason why Laurel is in the back seat. Felicity existing is not the reason why Laurel is in the backseat. This storyline has been teased for a few seasons and it needs to be addressed asap, whereas Laurel has no impeding arc. She had her origin story in s3 so what’s next for her is up to the writers and what they want to do with her character, and is not linked to any other character’s amount of screen time.

• Rob Watkins says:

DId she say anything in the episode about her father? I don’t recall that at all. I took her freakout that she was worried that she would become so blinded by being in the relationship that she would not be an individual. That’s understandable.

“Felicity having an independent storyline is not the reason why Laurel is in the back seat.” Never said it was, I can see why you would think that’s what my statement meant, but it has nothing to do with Felicity. I simply want to see all of the characters move forward in their stories. Felicity’s storyline working with Curtis is interesting even if I don’t buy her as CEO. Eventually Curtis and Felicity’s arc will intersect with the main story.

Felicity’s father doesn’t need to bee addressed anymore than Buffy’s father leaving her needed to be addressed in person. We hear about it, but it’s not necessary to see it. What I’m interested in seeing is how Felicity’s story with her father integrates with the rest of the show instead of putting it on pause for a tangent. Take Thea for instance. Her drug addiction wasn’t that interesting until the Vertigo episode.

• Liz says:

Puhlease. Based on previous comments you don’t give a crap about Felicity, especially by saying her mother adds nothing and her storyline as CEO is unbelievable. You’re nothing but a hater. I wasn’t born yesterday.

And I don’t know anything about her father which is the whole point of this storyline (if he does turn out to be her dad). Please don’t try to give me a lesson. Thanks. Goodbye.

• Rob Watkins says:

AND yet again, you know nothing about how I view the character. I think she plays a critical part in the team as their tech person and she adds an element of humor. That’s why I like her. I also really like how mature the relationship between she and Oliver is this season, but by all means, continue believing I don’t like her because I don’t care for Donna. You may not have been born yesterday, but you also seem incapable of reaching a proper conclusion. And Donna does in fact add NOTHING. She’s boring, not funny, and gives a bunch of clichéd advice that characters we do know could’ve given.

Knowing something about her father is only interesting insofar as it actually illuminates the character, and bonus points if it can directly tie into the central narrative – that being the superhero mission. That seems to be the case if The Calculator is in fact her father. I hope it’s true because that’s a clever way bringing him into the show that doesn’t divert from the superhero aspect.

• Liz says:

I don’t give a crap if you don’t like Donna. That’s your opinion. Doesn’t mean it’s paramount. I like her a lot. Many other people do too. Felicity is a main character and she has every right to have her family on the show. Laurel’s mother adds nothing either but she’s been on the show once or twice. Why can’t Felicity have her family there every now and then? Your view is so insular and I’m done talking about this with you.

• Rob Watkins says:

“Felicity is a main character and she has every right to have her family on the show. Laurel’s mother adds nothing either but she’s been on the show once or twice. Why can’t Felicity have her family there every now and then? Your view is so insular and I’m done talking about this with you.”
            If they are interesting, and it looks like her father will be. I don’t want some family member distracting from the story, and this is the second time you have said goodbye or I’m done talking to you. Crap or get off the pot.

And who said I liked Laurel’s mother. She’s fine, not terrible, but certainly felt like an actual character and not a clichéd sexpot. I can take or leave Laurel’s mother, so I don’t know why you bring her up.

• lily says:

Everyone else has had arcs dedicated to them, why not felicity who hasn’t had an independent storyline in 4 years. The show isn’t called the Lance Family Drama Hour, but we get copious amounts of that every year.

• Liz says:

Exactly this. We had one episode that focused on Felicity in college and even that wasn’t learning anything new. She created an amazing virus. Wow. Shocking new info! I’d like to know why her father abandoned her because that plays into who she is as a person and her relationship with Oliver and why she’s been so afraid to ‘lose herself’ in him.

• Rob Watkins says:

I would like to learn that as well, but I would prefer it to actually mean something in the present. Buffy’s “Fool For Love” is a great example of an episode where a flashback really shed light on a character and changed how you perceive them.

And what abandonment issues are you guys talking about? I can understand why anyone wouldn’t want to “lose themselves” in another person. That’s not something that needs “explanation” it’s fairly self explanatory.

• Liz says:

Her father upped and left her when she was little. She hasn’t seen or heard from him since. I think Felicity has ever right to confront her dad and ask why he did that.

• Rob Watkins says:

Sure, but that doesn’t mean she has abandonment issues. She’s one of the more well adjusted members of the team. I think I will enjoy this storyline because it won’t take time out from the superhero stuff. Integration is a great thing. It’s done a lot for Quentin and Laurel and Thea to be in on the secret so their storylines weren’t separate from everything else.

• Rob Watkins says:

Felicity is getting a storyline this season, it’s her as CEO. And I like the Lance Family drama, I think the actors work well together.

• lily says:

We’ve barely seen anything of it. And you like the lance family drama that detracts from the show “Arrow” as you so readily pointed out the name was when it came to Felicity getting episodes about her.
          You have your preference, that’s fine, but you can’t change your tune to suit your argument.

• Rob Watkins says:

But it doesn’t detract from the show and when it does at least it’s more interesting than “I had a dumb boyfriend in college and he’s now a thief”. We are deeper into the series, so keeping the stories on point is a bigger concern than when the show is still finding its footing or starting to flesh out its central characters. More than anything I want something that actually reveals something and has an impact on how we see the character in the present instead of simply showing us something we already know. If they are going to go into Felicity’s backstory, I want a “Fool for Love” not “Secret Origin…”

• amb1973 says:

So stories that pull away from Oliver about characters you like = good. Stories that pull away from Oliver about characters you don’t like = bad. (Even though in the latter case the character is someone who has something to do with Oliver in present day, i.e., his future wife, rather than all about an old ex-girlfriend and her douchey daddy.)

Stan on, dude, stan on. Also, either Laurel or Quentin will be dead by the end of the season, so enjoy your Lance Family Drama while you can.

• Zvii says:

IKR? I always wonder why when they contribute nothing to Oliver’s growth.

• Zvii says:

It’s called Arrow but you’re ok with us getting 4-5 episodes a season all about the Lances even though they have had no positive effect on Oliver’s (not Ollie’s) development like Felicity (and Diggle) have? If we can have ‘the Lance show’ then I’m pretty sure we can have episodes about Felicity’s and Diggle’s arc who are the most influential people in his life,

12. Joey Padron says:

Good to know how Roy comes back on the show thanks to this casting news scoop. Sucks Roy will be doing crime instead of fighting crime as a hero. Can’t wait to see the episode!

13. Luis says:

Always good to see Tom Amandes around. Interesting take people having on the Calculator being Felicity’s dad. Makes obvious sense, with the mad computer skills. The fact that Tom Amandes is being cast in the role makes it more likely in my mind, given that he and Berlanti have worked together so much and, therefore, he is likely to become a recurring presence, Looking forward to finding out!

14. Kate says:

I think a lot of us are guessing its Felicity’s dad…sort of wonder what that connection to Roy is though. I know he has a criminal past, but it was pretty low level and seemed to be primarily purse snatching (and yes, I have no idea what he is doing now).

15. Ashley says:

This has to be Papa Smoak and I’m very excited for this storyline. I hope they will do it justice and it will be interesting to see how exactly Felicity finds out he’s her father.

16. Evan says:

What up Papa Smoak? Called it! The Calculator was my first pick to be Felicity’s father and I’m loving the actor they picked. About time.

17. Valie says:

You seem so sure about that guy being Felicity’s Dad. .. Wendy Mericles was saying just two weeks ago that they didn’t know when they will introduce him in the show… That it might not even be this season. … If it’s Felicity ‘s Dad, they’ve made à 180 degree turn.

• wonderwall says:

I think the interview they did with Wendy was a while ago but TVLine decided to post it last week.

I’m sure it’s Felicity’s dad because at Heroes & Villains Fan Fest, the casting director said that they were going to announce Felicity’s father this week. So it’s too much of a coincidence for it not to be her father. It fits.

• A says:

Nah, they’ve been saying they know who he is since season 2. He was supposed to introduced season 3 but then they did the Sara dying/loooong black canary arc instead. Wendys comments were, i think, to say no to the Damien as Papa Smoak rumour.

18. N says:

What about this article says he’s felicity father? Just because he’s old enough to be doesn’t mean he is

• L says:

It’s because there’s been spoilers that Felicity’s dad is appearing soon. Then they broke the news this weekend at a con that her dad has been cast and will be announced this week. People are just adding the dots, especially because he’s intelligent and good with computers like Felicity.

19. Athena says:

Papa Smoak, is that you? I’m totally excited by this news. Been a huge fan of Tom Amandes and loved him on Everwood. And the description for Calculator fits with what we’ve heard of Papa Smoak.
    Looking forward to seeing him with Emily Bett Rickards and Charlotte Ross.

20. Arrowette says:

Perhaps he is Felicity dad, especially because he is skilled in computer science and the internet and that is Felicity job in Team Arrow, so probably she inherited her skills in computer science from her dad.

Im glad Roy will be back.

21. herman1959 says:

I swear, he plays the bad-guy on everything and he’s so good at it.

22. Elaine says:

I love Tom Amandes! Looking forward to seeing him on Arrow!