Vampire Diaries Originals Crossover

The Vampire Diaries, The Originals Moving to Fridays in 2016

The CW’s vampire population is on the move.

Beginning Jan. 29, 2016, The Vampire Diaries and The Originals will air on Fridays at 8/7c and 9/8c respectively, the network announced Monday.

As for the two shows currently occupying The CW’s Friday schedule, America’s Next Top Model airs its final episode on Dec. 4, while Reign — currently in its third season — will air its winter finale on Friday, Jan. 22 (8 pm) and will return “later in the season, night and time to be announced.”

Will you follow TVD and The OGs to Fridays? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Lori says:

Where does that leave Reign?

• Gabriel says:

maybe summer?

• rod says:

summer, probably

• MFL says:

They better not be thinking of cancelling Reign

• LE says:

They will probably give Reign the Nikita, HOD treatment a short fourth season to reach a decent number for syndication.

• Pamela says:

I agree, I don’t see reign continuing.

• Draz Ekiel says:

Yeah, shame I like it, but now the prince is dead, and there is no more love story between him and Mary I think it will hurt the numbers and show even more.
            It had to happen though, as that is what happened, I know they have taken liberty with the history already, but they couldn’t really keep him alive much longer imo.

• Lynyrd says:

I still don’t get why people bring up syndication in regards to the CW. Supernatural is the ONLY CW show that has received syndication, and I’m pretty sure that happened when it was still the WB.

• Dude says:

One Tree Hill was also syndicated and The Vampire Diaries is syndicated here in Canada but I don’t know if that’s different. The reason it’s mentioned is because The CW has made renewal decisions based on syndication. Its the goal of every network to get every show they produce to syndication because that’s where the bulk of the money is.

• taelor says:

Yeah, The CW is more Netflix-centric than syndication-centric.

• percysowner says:

IIRC the Netflix deal has price per episode partly based on how many episodes a show has available. I think the break point was very close to the number needed for syndication.

• percysowner says:

Smallville was syndicated although that too was a WB show. Although Supernatural started on the WB it moved to the CW in the second season. There was real thought that it would end after season 3, so I’m sure that it didn’t get syndicated until it was a CW show.

Certainly Warner Brothers has done much better in getting show to syndication and to making money on their shows than CBS has.

• brandydanforth81 says:

Wrong.SMallville,One TreeHill,Top Model are/were syndicated so was Nikita( on Oivot)Gossip girl( on Style),90210 ( on Pop)

• Ally Oop says:

Syndication isn’t the goal for CW. It’s actually Streaming. Streaming is the new version of syndication.

• Nikita should have been canceled and they should have kept Ringer & The secret circle…

• tyranthraxus says:

I think Reign will be lucky to see another season to be honest.

Also the Vampire diaries is now into old age as far as most tv shows go.

2. Carla says:

This is GREAT news — there’s nothing on here locally on Fridays. Saturday is entirely dead — maybe they’ll decide to put something on then, too. Right now, Friday and Saturday are DVD nights. No choice.

• Mia says:

I feel like this is the kiss of death for both shows. Ugh! They should’ve never put TO after TVD. TO is a much better show all around and the ratings were much better last season. Now TO are doomed just because of TVD. Why don’t they split the shows up like last season?

• Irvin says:

I’m assuming this is the death knell for both shows. I still watch TVD but the plot hasn’t been good since the Michaelson’s left. Then Nina left…they probably should have canceled the show then.

• Amy says:

Have you been paying attention though. To was on a different night season one and they drastically dropped in season one after Claire left. It took tvd at least 5 seasons to drop this low To took less than one. TO has always been a joke since they made Klaus a father and crybaby. The originals aren’t even the same people they were on tvd which is why so many tuned out and they barely can get a million viewers

• tori says:

If no one has notice every time they move a show to friday or monday nights it ends soon after so i dont see any of the 3 shows lasting much longer, i love all 3 and hate to see any of them go. but moving them to friday night is a death sentence.

• jones84898 says:

blub bloods and hawwailla five oo and shart tank on fidays and dateline

3. Becky says:

I don’t know what they expected putting them up against Greys and Scandal…. Does anything draw in more viewers than TGIT?

4. Ashbash says:

I can’t believe they are giving these shows the Friday kiss of death

• emily says:

Supernatural did fine with it

• Ashbash says:

The Vampire Diaries nor The Originals is anywhere near Supernatural. That fan base was built up years ago on the WB and was not struggling as much when ratings or material when it was banished to Fridays.

• Lucifer says:

Supernatural aired for one season on the WB and was almost cancelled during the WB/UPN merger because the ratings were nothing special. Which was ironic since it was the only season with decent ratings compared to now. While it did fine on Fridays a few years back, ratings have very slowly – but consistently slipping each season. It’s true the fanbase for SPN is much larger, but the writing for the series has been struggling for nearly half the time it’s been airing. Most only watch for the Winchester brothers along with the hopes that their fan-ships come true (Destiel). TVD is still one of the higher-rated series on The CW’s lineup, but I think a final season announcement will be made either within the next month or so, or it will get a short final season renewal. Despite many claiming the show became ridiculous since season 2, it’s just now really showing and it’s time to end while it’s still remotely decent. Something Supernatural should have done seasons ago.

• percysowner says:

Supernatural has had better ratings that TVD for the last few seasons. Although I haven’t been thrilled with the writing since Carver took over, it still draws more fans than everything except Arrow and Flash. People want to watch it. It makes good numbers on TNT in syndication. It’s getting tons of money from the Netflix deal, if only because it has so many episodes. It’s not going anywhere soon, unless the Js decide to pack it in. Eventually the numbers will fall enough and it will get cancelled but it will take a while.

• Ashbash says:

What I was getting at is that the Supernatural fan base that started years ago on the WB is what kept the show alive when the show was given the Friday banishment. The show was expected to flutter and be cancelled but thanks to mainly their fan base the show was able to survive. Even the people involved with the show have stated this. Supernatural was supposed to end at season 5 but their dedicated fa base kept ratings afloat to survive another 5+ years. TVD fans to me aren’t as loyal. A bulk of fans dropped the show because Stelena ended, more left the show when Delena ended. With Nina Dobrev’s exit and the dividing flash forward storyline I dont think TVD can survive like Supernatural did on Fridays. The originals’ issue is that it is a newer show and The CW has made it clear in the past that they have no problem canceling newer shows if the aren’t bringing in big ratings or critical acclaim.

• Malachi says:

Actually the flash and arrow are the highest rated shows on their tbd have nothing on them

• Carl says:

“ratings have very slowly – but consistently slipping each season.” THAT’S BULLS*** buddy! The ratings went down after season 5, on seasons 6 and 7; but the ratings went up pretty high after season 8! That’s why the show came back strong!

• Joy says:

One of the Originals writers said on Twitter that their “non live” numbers are always better, so the night they air doesn’t matter much. (Plus not being up against tgit). I’ll certainly be interested to see how it affects the shows.

• The Bluelady says:

We’ll just have to prove that Friday can be for winners! Watch it or DVR it.

5. aph1976 says:

Maybe CW is doing this because they no longer want TVD and The Originals up against Grey’s Anatomy and HTGAWM anymore on Thursdays.and they think Fridays will get the shows better ratings.

• ktbanks says:

That’s the issue with me. There’s a MUCH better chance that I’ll watch TVD & TO live since it’s not on during TGIT. I’ve been DVRing all season. Granted, I’m not always home Fridays, so it’ll still get the DVR treatment sometimes, but when I’m home I’ll be watching!

6. steven says:

No CW show has done well on Fridays since Smallville.

7. Dave says:

say goodbye to the both of them, people!!

• Katie T says:

Don’t think so myself. Certainly not with The Originals one season off syndication. They’ll move it into Summer if they have to,just like they did with Beauty and the Beast. And they have renewed shows with lower figures than both so I wouldn’t be surprised if Tvd gets an announced final season next year

• Lizzie says:

No it takes 5 season to get on syndication. 100 episodes is the maker for syndication.

• dan says:

I think it means cancellation for both. The only thing that makes me think that might not be the case is the Originals, because they would want it to go to to at least four seasons for syndication.

8. Katie T says:

Guess that means Legends of Tomorrow will get paired with something on Thursdays. It was clear they’d have to move something on Mondays or Thursdays to launch that as they were never going to launch on a Friday or wait until March /April to launch it as they’re not gonna touch Tuesdays and Wednesdays with Arrow and Flash

• percysowner says:

They’re pairing it with The 100.

• Platynum says:

It gets paired the The 100

• Chris says:

I truly thought they pair lot with the flash just so it would have the best possible lead in it could

• wgsecretary says:

I read somewhere that the producer mentioned something about having the three shows spread across three nights. I can’t find it, but I just read it this morning. So it makes sense they are making room on Thursdays. I think that creatively The Originals is getting better and I think TVD has been better this season since Elena left. So, I’m not too worried with these shows getting moved to Fridays. With three shows taking place in the same universe, it would make sense they’d want to capitalize on that. Something had to get moved.

9. MDEP says:

Maybe they think they have a loyal following that will watch no matter what night they are on? Since I DVR everything, this doesn’t matter too much to me, although I usually watch them the same night, just delayed to avoid commercials. I hope this is not signaling the end. I still enjoy them, especially The Originals.

• Lynyrd says:

I think this might be the last “sink-or-swim” moment for these shows. Their ratings aren’t exactly stellar, and it’s only fall, so it’s very possible the Powers that Be are telling JP to either put up or shut up.

My money is on shut up, with both shows now having a magical vampire pregnancy under their belts.

10. Amber says:

If they want to keep being on air next season they need Nina Dobrev back.

• Jenny Wine says:

i don’t even want her back at this point….

• Kim (@AD76) says:

Have not missed her one bit this season!

• Ari says:

The show is stronger without her but at this point that isn’t saying much.

• Whitney says:

I feel like the show is better w/o Elena and dullena. It’s been a nice break from everyone trying to save her and from de drama. With that being said the writing for s7 still isn’t there. The heretics were suppose to be the big new bad but compared to Klaus and even Kai they’re like puppy dogs. There’s nothing that keeps me interested enough to want to watch every episode and yes I’ve missed a few. The last two have been better but still not really that great either. I think they need to hire a new writer that can bring in fresh ideas.

• casey says:

No No No! The show is much better without her. I was so glad she left!!

11. FOX moved Sleepy Hollow to Fridays in Feb. which I thought great I can finally watch The Originals now but nope not anymore

12. Mr. Tran K says:

Moving TVD and Originals to Fridays won’t be that hard. Guess it doesn’t bode well for Reign.

13. dj says:

Grimm and The Originals on the same night! Awesome

14. Allison says:

Nooooo, this is like the television kiss of death!!

15. Absolutely. Right now they are on opposite the other two shows I watch, one of which I haven’t caught up with: Big Bang Theory. Thanks you for doing this!

16. Jason says:

This clears up a little of my Thursdays, but I still record Grimm on Fridays. I am rarely home on Friday nights. My guess is, I will still record Friday night shows…so no impact on my viewing habits.

17. LE says:

The Originals is going to get renewed because of syndication, but I think that both shows are going to end next season.

• Kristine says:

What exactly does that mean? I’m from Norway, so I dont’t get what syndication means :p and does it have to be 4 seasons? :)

• Katie T says:

Syndication means they sell the show to a smaller channel, usually one on cable, to run as repeats. The more episodes a show has, the better the price paid usually. There are shows that have sold with less than four seasons but it’s generally accepted now that seasons need 88 episodes to get good syndication deals, or as close to 88 as possible. And four seasons takes most shows past 88 episodes because they usually have 22/23 episodes per season

18. Boiler says:

The CW is dead meat! Whoever is in charge running into ground except for a couple shows.

19. Carla Krae says:

They’ll be against Sleepy Hollow and Grimm. Argh.

20. ChrisGa says:

Would love to see the Originals continue after this season although it’s getting anemic ratings right now, even by CW standards. However, I think it’s time for TVD to shuffle off into the night; this season has been all kinds of awful.

21. DarkDefender says:

I DVR the Vampire Diaries and watch it Sunday morning before football, so the night it’s on doesn’t really matter.

22. I will follow Vampire Diaries and Originals on Friday night because I love both show.

23. Guess I won’t be watching live any more. I’m busy on Friday’s so there goes my share of “live” tv numbers.

24. Terese says:

I DVR everything, so it doesn’t really matter to me when they air. I just hope this doesn’t mean they’re on their way out!

25. LT says:

Not sure why everyone is freaked out over Friday nights. Not all of us go out on Fridays and with DVR viewing habits does it really matter? I feel like networks need to be aggressive and program all nights, so I’m alright with these moves.

26. sarah j says:

So they are killing off the TVD and Originals, lets enjoy while we can folks!

• sarah j says:

They should keep the TVD and Originals on Thursday and move iZombie to Fridays with 100 and air Legends after Flash!

• Julian says:

iZombie is much better than TVD and TO. This season has been better than the first one, I don’t get why people don’t stay after The Flash. I get LoT premiering on Thursdays, they want to expand the Arrowverse into three nights and that’s cool and a little help for The 100’s ratings won’t hurt, that show is good.

• Phoenix5634 says:

I hate iZombie, I can’t stand that show. And I’m not a fan much of the 100.
          But the Originals is my Favorite show on the CW, they could continue for years, so much good story and acting, and it’s just getting better. And TVD is still pretty good, I like the show without Elena, and the story is taking interesting twists. I hope it continues for at least another full season. The Originals better keep going for awhile tho, it’d be awesome if when TVD ended ( or maybe even before ) if they brought on some characters off TVD to TO. Many characters from TVD already have relationships with the originals, and fans have been dying for crossovers. It’d help the rating.

27. KC says:

First, move to Friday. Next, cancellation!

• Kristine says:

Wow! Banished to Fridays. This is definitely bad news for TVD and TO. I agree that they are one step away from cancellation. It’s such a shame. There was so much potential with TO, but the producers really alienated the fans and hastened the demise of both shows with their stubbornness in keeping the shows apart. I have no doubt that a crossover here and there would have done wonders for the ratings of both shows. A Stefan or Damon visit to NO could have happened ages ago. A casual Caroline reference in TO would have probably been enough to keep the klaroline fans hanging on as well; but now it’s probably too late. I never understood how a simple crossover could compromise “artistic integrity.” It’s such a waste.

• Ana says:

I agree, they should’ve done at least one cross over before now and you’re right it was all over being stubborn. It’s funny how other shows have done it but this one doesn’t want to compromise integrity, well let’s look at the ratings I would say artistic integrity has already been compromised.

• Kristen says:

So true. The ratings for both shows were at an all time high when Klaus and Rebecca crossed over to TVD for the 100th episode. There was so much support and goodwill from the fans at the time. Then all of a sudden they did a complete 180 and became hellbent against crossovers unless they were “organic.” That never made any sense to me. Crossovers would only be natural considering the shows are set in the same world and the characters already had so much history with each other. It was such a waste that they refused to capitalize on that. Now I honestly think it’s too late. The CW already tried to pair TO with TVD on Thursdays to save it, but since the fans knew there would be no storyline connection between the 2 shows that strategy didn’t work. I am not sure if any amount of promotion or crossovers will ever bring the viewers back now. The producers said they didn’t want to be “ratings slaves” but that attitude just leads to cancellation.

• Taylor says:

Agreed! I can understand not wanting to be ratings slaves but that’s only if your ratings aren’t so bad. They NEED ratings so if I was them I wouldn’t be too proud to use a cross over to my advantage. Whoever is in charge probably now wishes they would’ve done one. I’m wondering if it would do any good for them to merge the two shows. Have the core characters and cut out the excess cast members. That way you’re only taking up one time slot and if MN in charge it would be a better show.

28. B says:

Many shows have been successful on Fridays in recent years; it’s not necessarily a signal of the end. It could even improve ratings if people’s viewing schedules are lighter on Fridays. I can only DVR two things at a time, and while I chose The Originals (gave up on TVD this year) over some other Thursday programming, now I don’t have to choose. I’m enjoying TO so I’ll be optimistic about its future.

29. kaitlyn says:

hahaha! Bye Julie! I am loving this. You ruin two great shows and tell your fans to take a hike, this is what you get. Hope you can find a new network because your reign is over at the CW.

30. Lifer says:

Their story choices and in TVD’s case, Nina leaving, have to be factors why they’re sinking. They’re doing so now, even before the move. Write better stories, stop making excuses, and people will watch, but being rigid and unwilling to let go of things that aren’t working are not doing them any favors. I gave up on TVD when I heard about Caroline’s forced pregnancy. I still watch TO, but out of some misplaced loyalty that I should get rid of. It’s too bad.

• TS says:

Too true, that’s exactly what is happening they are unwilling to let go of things that aren’t working. The heretics, Lily, Defan for the fact that none of their issues have been resolved, sterobore, benzo, forcing Caroline to carry her former teacher’s kids without her consent are just a few of the problems this season. With Elena gone and the show in the right hands this season could have been great but TVD doesn’t have the right talent to take it where it needs to go.

31. Lauren says:

I thought Friday nights usually mean the kiss of death. I don’t remember a show that lasted on a Friday night? Has there been? Someone mentioned Supernatural but I never watched that show so when did they change Supernatural because it’s not on Friday’s anymore.
    Them moving to Friday’s should be better so they’re not up against Shondaland. Plus there’s usually nothing on on Friday nights so it’ll be good when I’m home.

• Laurie says:

A few years ago, the former CW chief Dawn Ostroff moved Supernatural to Fridays and its survived there for 2 years. It was rumored she hated the show because it didn’t fit in with her plans. She got fired and Mark Pedowitz replaced her, and moved SPN back to weekdays & it’s still there. The fan support kept it alive. But on all the networks, moving a show to friday is seen as the network wanting to end it. Fridays get fewest viewers because people go out. But loyal fans can keep some shows alive. You can’t kill SPN, it has to implode lol.

32. Scemma says:

Yep, American’s Next Top Model is over, there are new CW shows which are suppose to do well coming January, of course TVD and TO gets pushed to the Friday night lineup. Poor Reign is probably covering the summertime lineup since Beauty and The Beast was cancelled I heard. TVD may or maybe not get an 8th season, if they do it will probably be half and who knows what will happen to TO.

33. Jeri says:

I used to never miss TVD but I haven’t been watching this season. I think Fridays would be good & I would probably watch again. Hope it doesn’t mean cancellation but they shouldn’t pile all the good shows up on a couple of nights and leave the others nights dead. I DVR but already have it full on Thursdays. Also, I know I’m a minority here but I was a Elena fan. I also am a fan of Caroline but can’t get into Bonnie. I find her boring.

• Jeri says:

I never miss Reign and luckily they haven’t buried it under other shows.

• Ana says:

The only interesting character on tvd at the moment is Bonnie. Her and Damon are the only interesting aspects of the show anymore. They turned Caroline into a whiny, insecure witch and I hope they kill her off.

34. Malachi says:

Hahaha I laugh my ass off at this. They treated TVD And TO. Friday’s are dead slot

35. ninergrl6 says:

I wish the CW would expand their programming to Sat/Sun. I think that’d be a great place for Reign. Cable networks have aired many “historical dramas” on the weekends (Outlander, Penny Dreadful, Mad Men, Game of Thrones). Even CBS had Dr. Quinn on Saturdays at 8 pm for YEARS. I think it was another TV Line post that refered to the CW’s programming problems because they have too many shows & not enough hours. Any chance they’ll expand to weekends any time soon?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

The CW is unable to program Saturdays and Sundays, as those nights are programmed by your local CW affiliate (e.g. WPIX in the NYC area). (And the last time they tried Sunday, by outsourcing, it… did not go well.)

• brandydanforth81 says:

No.Pedowitz said last Jan no plans to expand to weekends yet nor later hours

36. Liz says:

The kiss of death!!!!

37. Megan says:

I would be ok with this being the final season of TVD. 7 years is a good long run let’s wrap it up. I think the Originals has more story to tell but we’ll see.

• Taylor says:

I have to agree. TVD writing has gone down hill for the past three seasons and it looks like they are unwilling to do anything about it. It’s sad because if you have to go out they should’ve gone out while it was still good.

38. brandydanforth81 says:

I’m upset about what they’re doing to Reign and a bit suprised what they’re doing to VD.I expected Tzo to move to Fri.

39. Chris says:

I JUST caught up with Reign. DO NOT make me wait until the summer…

40. Mara says:

First of all you’re using my favorite picture and really that’s all you need for a crossover. *sigh* Anyway, tbh I don’t think this is a bad thing for either show, I also think it was done more for LoT because they needed a good lead in and it sounds like they are pairing it with the 100 which is a strong show. Friday’s aren’t the sinker anymore because of DVR, people aren’t watching tv the way they use to. TO is a really great show but I think TVD has been on it’s last legs for awhile now and needs to end. Unless they want to do a cross over then by all means. Klefan ftw!!

41. Beth says:

I dont get why Crazy Ex Girlfriend has not been Cancelled. I stopped watching after the first episode. I really think they need to reconsider and not put the Vampire diaries and the Originals on Fridays. They are like the best shows on the CW.

• Malachi says:

CEG is a great comedy compare to other on nowadays. Look, TVD writing has been going down hill for three seasons and so has the ratings. DC’s legends of Tomorrow and the 100 May stand a chance against TGIT and the other networks. TVD TBH needs to end , TO still has about three seasons of story with hope and all.

• Brianna says:

In agreement with Malachi. TVD hasn’t gotten itself out of it’s downward spiral for three seasons and no one in charge of TVD thinks anythings wrong. So I only foresee more spiraling into cancellation. The 100 and Legends deserve the Thursday night time slot because for sure the 100 is a better written show and I’m sure Legends is too. TO unfortunately, was placed after TVD this season but if it was on a different night it would still be ok because TO is a better written and produced show. TVD is just done for.

• Vince says:

Crazy Ex Girlfriend is there as a filler. No way CW drags this to Season 4 with its low ratings and ep count.

42. Gina says:

I agree that they need Nina back. I mean the whole show was about the brothers and her. they should have just properly wrapped it up during season 6. Now it’s gonna end up being one of those shows where it gets cancelled after leaving us with a big cliffhanger or something. :(

• MaryB. says:

Nina being gone isn’t the problem because the ratings have been dwindling for going on 4 seasons now. Look at season 6 before Nina announced she was leaving the ratings were going down. Although the series is in it’s 7th season there are several factors for tvd’s dismal situation. One was KW left and with him some talented crew and writers. Second, was leaving Plec in charge of show running. I think she’s good with ideas, starting and helping run shows but not fully being in charge. Third, because Plec is good with ideas and starting up shows she worked on TO and left the wrong person in charge which was Dries who has no business show running. Fourth, Plec took TO off of TVD and gave them their own show which is great for TO but bad for TVD. It left TVD with no villain and hasn’t had a great once since Klaus, unless you count Kai but they quickly killed him off. Fifth, no one stays dead on this show. So we never worry when someone is in danger because we know that they’ll be back sometime. I’m still waiting for Kai’s return (waiting for Containment to be cancelled). Sixth, they stayed too long on the triangle and then focused on only a ship (a ship that was badly written) and neglected other characters, the shows history, mythology and story lines. Seventh, then they started rewriting history and mythology just to make the horribly written ship seem to work. I can’t think of the last well written story line TVD has had. I’m sure I missed some other factors but you get the idea.

43. Debra Wiggins says:

Please let my show stay I love these two.vampire I love both I just got to watch them I drive truck over road so all I had was my phone to u put up a ap.please dont.

44. Helen Clark says:

I will continue watching The Vampire Diaries and The Originals on Friday nights. I do not want either one cancelled.

45. Helen says:

i don’t care what day they come on as long as they come on I’ll watch ’em both any day

46. Linda Rose says:

You better believe I will, can”t wait for more shows.

47. Linda Rose says:

I can”t wait for the new shows to start.

48. Phoenix5634 says:

Please keep The Originals going for a long long time yet, I love this show and it’s even getting better this season! And The Vampire Diaries should keep going too, at least for one more full season to finish it right, and give us dedicated viewers for years a proper ending.
    I think it’d be awesome if they started crossovers to boost the ratings, or when/ an if, TVD has to end, bring over some of the bigger characters to The Originals. Keep these two awesome shows going! Love TO and TVD!

49. Caty says:

I think TVD and The Originals are doing great this season… Especially The Originals. I’m not thrilled about this switch to Friday, since I won’t be able to watch live most nights. But Julie Plec doesn’t seem too worried… She said most of the die-hard fans don’t watch live anyways. I’ll follow this show regardless of its night!

50. Britt says:

Yes I will follow! Reign better not be cancelled. I will always follow Reign too!❤️