TV Calendar 2016 Return Dates

When Will Your Favorite Shows Return From the Holidays? Save These Dates!

That nip in the air and the festive decorations going up at the Buy More can only mean one thing: Your favorite TV shows soon will slip away for the holidays.

When will Scandal‘s Olivia and Fitz pick up the pieces? When will The Blacklist‘s Liz get her day in court? For how long will Empire leave us hanging? Which four dramas will have wrapped their freshman runs by the time we bellow “Auld Lang Syne”?

To help you calibrate your expectations over the winter break, TVLine has compiled a handy list of “fall finale” and 2016 return dates for every scripted network series (plus The Walking Dead, since a few people watch that cable show).

NOTE: Season and series premieres — such as for Fox’s The X-Files, Shondaland’s The Catch, J.Lo’s Shades of Blue and Season 3 of The 100 — will be detailed in our annual January Premieres and Finales Calendar. Not here. (Updated Jan. 19)
TV Calendar 2016 Return Dates

1. xyz says:

I hate these long breaks.

• I’ve been saving every episode of every show I watch to start watching them in February, so that by the time I’m caught up with what’s aired until now these new blocks will already be well under way, which means I’ll watch over two dozen episodes of each show with no breaks. In the meantime, I’m catching up on the original Heroes and X-Files, as well as rewatching some old favorites like Weird Science and stuff I’ve never seen before like Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated. The only current shows I’m keeping up are Doctor Who, Haven, Ash, Walking Dead, Into the Badlands, Librarians, and Crazy-Ex.

• Sandra Holl says:

I agree and Fox still doesn’t have the return date for Bones YUK!!!!!

• Scotter says:

Bones is done, never to return.

• lynn says:

I hope not

• d282 says:

It had shown on the List of Returning TV shows that Bones was listed as TBA (To Be Announced) which most likely means it will back sometime next year. I can’t imagine that they would just end the series with a cliffhanger showing Hodgekins paralyzed. When it does go off the air, I will most certainly miss it.

• Nann says:

It’s about time. That show has gone on forever and it is getting a little stale.

• Ashleigh says:

That’s not true. They have to pay for the episodes, so they’ll air them, just as they aired all the episodes of the horrific and low-rated Weird Loners last season. They’re just waiting to see what else fails and stick the final episodes in that spot. They have no return date for Last Man on Earth either, and that definitely has 18 episodes. I agree it is likely Bones’ last season.

• MFL says:

EMPIRE March 30….Are they freaking kidding! Honestly like WTH!

• Karen Jonsson says:

Yes I was just watching the next to last episode of Empire on Hulu and came to this site and What the hell is Fox doing? They are playing with fire! I guess what they want to do is see if they can get another new show in that slot and hope they can get Empire fans to watch. Might backfire on them. BUTTTT Last season was only 10 episodes and the fans came back this season so I guess they are judging by that. Oh I am unwise to try to figure out what TV execs are up to. I looked at another site and they explained that now they make about 22 shows a season. if they did not have a hiatus all the shows would show by the end of January. What happened to 36 shows a season? Last year Family guy only had 18 shows!

• MJ Beresford says:

Who benefits from these long breaks! Not the fans!!!!!!

2. When is Last Week Tonight returning?

3. Eran says:

I wish a full network season were 13 episodes. Not only would it allow for such tighter storytelling, it would give so much additional content a chance at being made and of course create so many additional job opportunities for young writers.

4. BrightLight says:

I was just wondering today if we would get a returning date list and here it is. THANK YOU!!

Hopefully the CW will actually give return dates soon. In the meantime, looks like I’ll have plenty of time to catch up on all the shows I’m behind on, including some I haven’t finished from last season. (I’m looking at you “The Flash”.)

• BBussey says:

Most likely, you can key off the Legends/100/Vampire Diaries/Originals announcement from yesterday and pencil in that CW’s schedule will resume Monday, January 18. The 3rd full week of January is usually when the CW shows return.

5. Mr. Tran K says:

Hope Blood & Oil and Minority Report are both going to end up as “series finales” respectively.

6. AM68 says:

You guys have Empire listed as returning on Wednesday March 20th. March 20th falls on a Sunday.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

That’d be a thing, eh! Yeah, my keyboard has the “2” soooo close to the “3,” annoying!! Will fix that first chance I get.

7. prish says:

The husband says, “March 6th?!!! I wonder why the American public doesn’t just watch DVD’s and say to …. with all that!” Not a happy Once Upon a Time fan, sitting next to me, here.

8. fiberlicious says:

HEY – Where’s my Stitchers?????

9. kmw says:

Nice job with the calendar. Still no return date for Bones though. Oh well maybe it will come back sooner than I think

• Scotter says:

From what I heard, Bones is done, for good. Sad day but maybe it’s time.

• kmw says:

And where did you hear this? Yes they are involved in a lawsuit and yes they aren’t doing well on Thursday, but Bones is still FOX’S cash cow. Not one of their dramas is near syndication so that’s one reason to bring it back. For those of us who are real fans we aren’t ready for it to be done we just want it back on the air

10. DreamRose311 says:

This is awesome, thanks so much for putting it together!

2 network questions… What about Undatable and Truth Be Told?

And I know the only cable exception on here is Walking Dead, but do you happen to know the dates for how American Horror Story Hotel plays out?

Thanks again!!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I shall add NBC’s Friday night comedies shortly.

• Courtney Larson says:

Any word on the Friday comedies on NBC? Its been nearly a month & still nothing. Since Truth Be Told has finished it’s production & the sets have been struck, I’m just wondering if the completed episodes will finish airing this year or if they will air some next year……Thanks!

11. Whatevah says:

Thank you!! Wow..ABC..geesh! The Walking Dead comes back on Valentine’s Day, how romantic!

12. Margo says:

Ummmm….Shonda & co?!?!….February for TGIT!?! :(

• MFL says:

Quantico March 6th..they might as well just make it a summer show! These breaks are way tooo long

• Whatevah says:

I agree. They think these breaks help their ratings. I’m not sure about that. I had the 2nd half of Once Upon a Time on my DVR last year and deleted them I took it off my DVR this year and haven’t watched. I lost interest last year after the long break.

• khyron says:

i totally agred but i can wait cause i already know who did it

13. James D says:

Dang it we have to wait till end of February for Blindspot that sucks. oh well time to fire up the old Netflix :)

14. Olivia says:

Blindspot & AoS… ouch :/
    Hopefully iZombie’s break is not going to be as long as these two. The others I can handle, although The Blacklist is still kind of a “long” wait for this fan.

15. Lindsey says:

I know this is the major networks, but is there any official word on when Damien will premiere on A&E? When do they usually announce their dates?

• Andrew says:

@ Lindsey – All I have seen is 2016.

It probably depends on whether the network wants to pair it with Bates Motel, with Bates being the lead-in.

It was moved from Lifetime to A&E because they thought it had “compatibility” with Bates.

Bates usually runs from early March through early May every year. So, if they want to pair Damien with it, the show might not premiere until then.

However, if they decide Damien can stand on its own, being that The Omen is a recognizable franchise with devoted fans, the show might premiere in early January 2016 and lead up to Season 4 of Bates Motel in March.

It depends on what the network decides to do.

I’m hoping they let it bow in January, because March is a long time to wait, but who knows.

P.S. I tried posting this comment twice already, so: Hopefully, it goes through this time.

• Lindsey says:

Thanks, Andrew! That’s pretty much what I figured. I’ve seen a January 1 date floating around, but I’m not sure how accurate that is because they’re all unofficial sources. I have also heard about them premiering it with Bates Motel, as you said, which would make sense. As far as I’m concerned, the sooner, the better.

• Andrew says:

@ Lindsey – Yes, it cannot get here fast enough. I’m a big fan of The Omen film series. I saw the trailer [for the show] from Comic-Con and I cannot wait to see it. I love Bates Motel, too.

• Lindsey says:

@Andrew I’ll admit that I’m just watching for Bradley James. I don’t usually do scary movies/shows, though I did watch the first film, so I’d have some idea what’s going on. I can’t wait!

16. Lashawn says:

When will the January 2016 premieres calendar be posted

17. Sharon says:

Thanks so much for it being in list form instead of unreadable calender form, can’t wait for all my shows to return. Once Upon a Time’s wait really needs to be shorter. 💘

18. Kate says:

Thank you so much for putting this calendar together! This is awesome!

19. Amy says:

Yeesh… seems like the returns get later and later each year. Feb 29 for Blindspot? March 6 for Quantico?? March 16 for Nashville??? I’m going to need a new Netflix series. :)

20. Ray says:

Thanks, Matt! Super handy dandy.

21. prish says:

You Guys make TV watching fun by creating this data list. Kudos for keeping American TV experience alive!

22. so mad there’s no return date for Bones!!

23. Marla says:

All I can say is that Castle’s break is far too long. Glad I have Acorn TV and can watch many shows from Canada, England and Australia anytime I want to.

24. JB Smooove says:

love love love this list. just wish it was in excel…for reasons.

• awaywithpixie says:

I hear you. Loud and clear. I’ve just finished updating my notifications with this info. Would have been easier as an Excel, or even a PDF.

25. Rick Katze says:

Surprised about the delay for Blindspot. They have a strong show. Hope the delay does not kill it. Can only assume that they want to run the second half consecutively. Not happy about it but it does make sense.

And I will also add my thanks for the listing.

26. BBussey says:

Matt — CW’s Vampire Diaries and The Originals return on Friday, January 22. That was announced with the Legends of Tomorrow and The 100 premiere date of January 21.

27. jjk says:

Thank you!! printing to store for later…

28. Paul says:

What the hell is TBT? No decision on when Blue Bloods and Big Bang Theory return? Also Person of Interest Blantantly missing.

29. brandydanforth81 says:

Ccirding to FutonCritic CW return dates are as follows
    Reign Jan 8-22
    cEG/JtV Mon Jan 18
    Flash/IZombie Tues Jan 19
    Arrow/SPN Wed Jan 20
    You’ve got Thurs Jan 21 for LoT/The 100& Fri Jan 29 for VD/TO already

30. David Wessendorf says:

When will Person of Interest return? It is probably one of the best on TV. Much of the new stuff doesn’t interest me that much.

31. David Wessendorf says:

Where the hell is “Person of Interest?”

32. Andrew says:

Love this series!!

33. JL says:

Where is Person of Interest?

34. Seun Alabi says:

Just sat here, wondering why ‘Suits’ isn’t on the list (Pumped it’s returning Jan 27th). Also noticed they are no longer in the ‘hot Shows’ section… What’s up with that?

35. jeff kantor says:

“Reign” will return January 8th.

36. bev nicholls says:

I like unforgettable! It was cancelled once & brought back. Hope it will return. I don’t see it listed. Blindspot’s return is tooooo long. I’m afraid of losing interest. I know many people who are not watching in the regular fashion as they are fed up with the networks scheduling.

37. Sarah says:

Arrow comes back the 21st of January 2016. Just saw on their instagram

38. Reba42 says:

iZombie just said it will return Jan. 12th.

39. steve says:

Love the comments love the TV shows good job

40. cindy says:

January 7th is ok but February?

41. Kristy day says:

I don’t understand why Nashville is not coming back on until march?!! I’m just going to stop watching all together this is ridiculous !

42. AKC says:

I seem to be doing what many others are during the break – re-watching past episodes to keep myself up to speed.
    I do something similar during regular season, too… Each week, I re-watch the previous week’s episode to have it fresh in my mind prior to watching the new episode.

43. Ann says:

What about Undateable??

44. What about Person of Interest, Suits, Halt & Catch Fire, and BBC shows?

45. Stan says:

Blindspot is a hit! I hope we don’t lose our interest by the end of February

46. christine says:

Sleepy Hollow up against Grimm, what s with that. BOTH in a rotten time slot, both have die heart fans. Just plain mean to yhe fans.

47. Arlene fields says:

Barrett baber least consistent and ghost and delta dawn horrible rendition. I predict fourth. Emily ann cute but stiff on stage third, Jeffrey Austin smoth second the spectacular flawless itunes icon Jordan Smith winner

48. Sandy j stapp says: