Sleepy Hollow Abbie Sophie

Sleepy Hollow EP Answers Lingering Q: Which Agent Is the FBI Watching?

After Sleepy Hollow fans got past the shock of the fall finale’s final moments — in which Abbie sacrificed herself in order to save Jenny, Ichabod, Joe and the rest of the town — a small yet important question rose from the rubble:

Was Abbie the “diamond in the rough” alluded to by an FBI bigwig the week before?

In case you weren’t blessed with Ichabod’s photographic memory, allow us to remind you about the scene, which took place in “The Art of War” episode. When Daniel visited the home of one of his superiors to ask for an extension on the Nevins case, the higher-up asked, “How’s our agent doing? The diamond in the rough?,” and Reynolds replied, “I have no doubt she’ll be one of the very best in the Bureau.”

“Good to hear,” his boss said, “because there are eyes on her, as well.”

The dialogue, though intriguing, was merely a bit of misdirection, showrunner Clifton Campbell tells TVLine.

“Because at that point we didn’t know Sophie was an undercover FBI agent, the audience believed that to be Abbie. But he was actually referencing Sophie,” Campbell says.

And speaking of Agent Foster… remember that turncoat tease that came out of New York Comic Con?

“It was a nice tease,” Campbell says, adding that it’s already happened — when Sophie revealed herself as an undercover FBI agent (and not the sleazy Nevins gofer we thought she was). “That was in reference to Sophie.”

Still processing the Sleepy fall finale? Thoughts on the turncoat reveal? Hit the comments!

1. Angela says:

I’m relieved at the thought that neither of the Witnesses, nor Jenny or Joe, will become a turncoat (my fear was that perhaps Abbie would come back fighting for the other side or something).. I love the idea of them continuing to work together, they make a good foursome.
    But I do kind of wish the “diamond in the rough” thing had referenced Abbie. Unless, of course, Daniel winds up being a bad guy in disguise, in which case, I wouldn’t want Abbie to be his target :p! If he means it sincerely, though, I’d like to see Abbie’s time in the FBI further cultivated and see more of her moving up the chain.

2. Quinn says:

Very underwhelming. “Turncoat” was presented in a way that implied an established character fans were invested in would willingly turn to dark forces. This “new regime” seems very green, they don’t know how to build suspense and deliver the “OMG!” factor at all. People keep saying the show has lost its magic – that’s likely because they ruined Season 2 by focusing on Crane Family Drama that no one cared about. They ruined the Horsemen of War. Thus, the 4 Horsemen storyline is dead as a doorknob. These guys will never have the Season 1 magic back in their arsenal because they are not the Season 1 writers.

3. sam says:

OMG, it wasn’t a nice tease. Nobody cares. Why is this show saddled with so much incompetence?

4. westwingwolf says:

I don’t care about the FBI storyline if Abbie is not a part of it. So unless Mulder & Scully plan on making an appearance in Sleepy Hollow, then what is the point of having the FBI around? Unless this is more subterfuge to make us think Abbie is dead and gone. Still don’t believe that.

5. Vicky says:

Sophie..I do not fully know this character so, for me, I do not care if she is a turncoat or not.

6. What a let down! Sophie’s cool, but I was in no way invested enough in her character to care she “switched sides.” Actually, what she did is only a simple reveal as far as I’m concerned. “Turncoat” implies a bit more than revealing a character we’ve seen a few times reveal she’s an agent than a criminal. What would’ve been exceptional as far as a turncoat goes is Headless released from Pandora’s box, only to be so full of rage he joins forces w/Team Witness to take her down…or Abbie, having absorbed all the power she tried to keep together in whatever realm the tree took her to, returns as a god! Or goddess, rather. She comes back as more and isn’t necessarily on the good team anymore. How great would it have been to see Nicole Beharie playing a bad girl for once? Abbie’s always the pragmatic one, never acting impulsively. Of course, she wouldn’t remain that way, but it would be fun to watch play out. Wasted opportunities. I liked the reveal that Sophie was an agent, but it wasn’t THAT special; they should’ve never dropped the turncoat hint because I simply shrugged my shoulders after reading this.

7. Sean says:

Wait, if they were talking about Sophie then who was Reynolds talking to after Abbie turned in her badge and gun? That conversation certainly made it seem like an unseen 3rd party had Reynolds keeping tabs on Abbie. Did I misread that?

• Vicky says:

Sometimes, I think they are making stuff up as they go along just to confuse people. It is getting old fast.

• Donna says:

You did not. I think whatever they were planning here they decided to drop, and are now retconning all over the place trying to make it fit Sophie, when in fact it actually was Abbie. He’s probably hoping we forgot about that phone call. NOPE.

And Mr. Campbell? I presume you are a writer (though it has not gone unnoticed that you HAVE NOT WRITTEN ONE EPISODE), in which case you should know that an undercover agent is in NO WAY a “turncoat.”

8. jackie says:

They were talking about abbie. She’s the diamond in the rough. Which is why her boss calls that number n says. The asset we were cultivating is gone, right after abbie quits